Default Ghallanda continues to grow

Still in accordance of my theory - Ghallanda often appears as the first in the list of servers.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Where can I find your said theory?
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post

Still in accordance of my theory - Ghallanda often appears as the first in the list of servers.

Being that this is simply tracking log ins(?), I'll take it with a grain of salt; It spring an idea to mind though while looking at the effects G-land being first on the list has had over the past few weeks.

What would the effects be over all if turbine made the default server switch every month or so, so that all the servers had their time at the top of the list for a while? Would player base of each server slowly rise instead of being funneled into just a few of the servers? Or would it simply make the log ins on this graph go even more haywire?
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

The problem with using this metric to say that Ghallanda continues to grow because it has the most logins is that it doesn't explain any other factors. Ghallanda may have had the most players leave, and come back to check out what is going on. There is no way to know those are NEW players. Nor is there any way to know if the other servers had a mass exodus of players, is their norm from one picture, are suffering from the recent connection issues.

Ghallanda may be growing, but a lot more data is needed to prove it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Another possibility is Ghallanda has the most accounts with multiple characters. I know I log in at least 6 of my chars on an average day, and 10 or more on a day I'm crafting and updating gear mixes. That's multiple logins on each char, as well.
    There is no free lunch.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Being that this is simply tracking log ins(?), I'll take it with a grain of salt; It spring an idea to mind though while looking at the effects G-land being first on the list has had over the past few weeks.

What would the effects be over all if turbine made the default server switch every month or so, so that all the servers had their time at the top of the list for a while? Would player base of each server slowly rise instead of being funneled into just a few of the servers? Or would it simply make the log ins on this graph go even more haywire?
    There's obviously a big difference between login and player retention. The login numbers might give an indication of overall activity, but you would need a total figure in a single line to show which direction that is going in.

This is where the idea of sending new players to a deserted server like Wayfinder didn't make any sense to me. They would look around and think they were the only ones on, and conclude the game was dead.

Sending them to a populated server makes much more sense, there are people to ask questions, there are guilds to join, there are other people to interract with, or at least see them rushing past you in the marketplace rather than being a ghost town.

What I dont get is why dont the merge wayfinder with some other server because population on it is very very very small, even with 10% bonus xp.

I only play on argo, but I've logged into Ghallanda a few times recently by accident because after running lammania the DDO launcher goes back to the default list and leaves Ghallanda as the server you load if you just log in normally.

So I could easily envision a large spike in Ghallanda logins as everyone who is on lama (and doesn't play on Ghallanda) has a chance to add to the logins by accident if they don't manually choose their home server each time they check out something on lama.

Is that graph showing just the logins on the server or chars actually logging in on the server?

Community Member

Lol. Ghallanda is not growing. The new launcher goes to it by default and people are logging in to it by accident the first time. The launcher also resets to Ghallanda after using the Lamannia client, which a lot of people are doing right now.

Actually... Come to think of it, new players are going to end up on Ghallanda by default so they might stick around!
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 08-07-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    There's obviously a big difference between login and player retention. The login numbers might give an indication of overall activity, but you would need a total figure in a single line to show which direction that is going in.

This is where the idea of sending new players to a deserted server like Wayfinder didn't make any sense to me. They would look around and think they were the only ones on, and conclude the game was dead.

Sending them to a populated server makes much more sense, there are people to ask questions, there are guilds to join, there are other people to interract with, or at least see them rushing past you in the marketplace rather than being a ghost town.
    This is the same reason making endgame easier in orders of magnitude time wise didn't make sense as well. A lot of people leave and take breaks between updates, because the time it takes them to acquire everything they want out of current content in no way can be kept up with by the development time of new content. Activity on the servers goes down between content updates and when people log in and see none of their friends on for months at a time they may jump to the same conclusion.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    Lol. Ghallanda is not growing. The new launcher goes to it by default and people are logging in to it by accident the first time. The launcher also resets to Ghallanda after using the Lamannia client, which a lot of people are doing right now.

Actually... Come to think of it, new players are going to end up on Ghallanda by default so they might stick around!
    If new players are logging into Ghallanda by default, wouldn't that lead to an increase? How long they're retained for is another thing and we can only speculate on those figures.

But there is more activity on Ghallanda than before, no question about that. And the pug scene is full of clueless nubers who don't listen to a word that's said and give you attitude when you try and help them. So yeah, the in-game evidence is that it is growing. Hopefully some of that quantity will turn into quality

OFC it does, it's were the cool kids play

Ent
    Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
    Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    What I dont get is why dont the merge wayfinder with some other server because population on it is very very very small, even with 10% bonus xp.
    In all likelihood because they signed a leasing deal with a server company for x amount of time, with hefty fees if they terminate the contract.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    In all likelihood because they signed a leasing deal with a server company for x amount of time, with hefty fees if they terminate the contract.
    Plus. each server is a discrete piece of physical equipment...its not just a partition on the same drive as Ghallanda and Thelanis. There's no reason why they'd just stop using a piece of equipment they already paid for, and theres no way to repurpose the server to do some other useful task...

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Plus. each server is a discrete piece of physical equipment...its not just a partition on the same drive as Ghallanda and Thelanis. There's no reason why they'd just stop using a piece of equipment they already paid for, and theres no way to repurpose the server to do some other useful task...
    You can't be sure of that... Actually, making some educated guesses, I can tell that each server is at least several IP addresses....
    But I cannot tell if these addresses are on a single hardware or if there's a physical server for each game server.
    Probably the later due to the information found in logfiles and such... it seems there's a front-end with the game servers, the authentication server and the web-server and there's a back-end with the database server(s) and a few other things.
    Repurposing a physical server that gets emptied by merging a game server shouldn't be too complex as it's already connected to the infrastructure.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Weird order, isn't it?

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)