Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    I still remember the first time I was in a group and the mage was the one who led the kill count. I still hate arcanes.
    I remember when Savants first came out. I went into Dhakaan with my HO barb w/Carnifex and a halfling sorc (pro'ly Fire Savant). Most of the time I couldn't even get to the mobs in time, `cuz the lil' jerk kept one-shotting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris-Niatellim View Post
    How do you do cannith challenges?
    You can read about the Challenges on the wiki here. Basically, they're timed mini-quests you can run to earn ingredients which can be traded for gear. The better you do completing Challenge objectives, the more ingredients you earn per run. F2Pers need Challenge tokens in order to access them.
    Also to people recommending spells why wouldn't you take fox cunning? Does int not boost spell damage? What does int do then?
    INT doesn't boost your dmg directly; instead it boosts your DCs. The harder it is for your spells to be resisted, the more likely they are to do full dmg; or in the case of CC & instakill spells (which tend to be all-or-nothing), take full effect. So maxing out your INT is an important part of building up your wizard. But as stated, Fox's Cunning is temporary and doesn't stack with gear; you also won't gain SPs from temporary buffs, since they wear off when resting.

Fortunately, as a wizard you can use wands for most stats until you acquire better gear; that way you don't have to waste spell slots on Fox's Cunning, Bear's Endurance, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    You do realize that firewall gets +1 damage--not dice, +1 damage--per caster level?
    Okay, Firewall probably wasn't the best example. But other DPS spells scale linearly with CL: Fireball, Acid Blast / Rain, Lightning Bolt, etc. So, pretend I mentioned one of them instead.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 08-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Firewall is still a legitimate example because of other factors affecting damage. Most spells are d6 based for damage. A single d6 is average 3.5 points of damage. Most spells gain an extra die of damage every 2 to 4 character levels. At 1 point per level firewall is essentially keeping up with the average damage that other spells are doing.

Depending on metamagics and other factors affecting damage multipliers the increased damage can be significant -- at least on par with die based damage spells. And, more importantly, firewall is a persistent spell so the damage is repeated over time (presuming the mob remains in the area of effect).

So, caster level is important for all damage spells where it is a component of the total damage calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris-Niatellim View Post
    How do you do cannith challenges?
    If you purchased/VIP(?) you can do them as many times as you like. Just know that scaling is all F'd up on them. True soloing and not grouping/moloing (mercenary soloing) is the best.

F2P you can get a token from the "token guy" and do a challenge/day which I would recommend. So much so that making a habit of exiting the game next to him is advisable (Bought pack so not sure if you get 5 challenge tokens or only 1 as I never talk to him, sorry).

Also to people recommending spells why wouldn't you take fox cunning? Does int not boost spell damage? What does int do then?
    Previous poster answered already. If you have it in potion or clicky form, it can help you with DC's until level 7 usually. I would not memorize it though as you lose SP's to cast it.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post

F2P you can get a token from the "token guy" and do a challenge/day which I would recommend. So much so that making a habit of exiting the game next to him is advisable (Bought pack so not sure if you get 5 challenge tokens or only 1 as I never talk to him, sorry).
    You get one token each day (per character, but they are BtC)
    So yes, best is to log off in Cannith House, so when you log in, you take your free daily token
    And you will slowly build a reserve

Cannith challenge give good material, especially for wizard (cloak of fire, Ice Tunic, rock boots, ...)
    Only drawback is that you need to make different versions. Don't bother to make one at each level. Do one set at level 12, and one set for level 20. For low level, you can find random items who give similar bonus, so don't spent time grinding mats

Now about the class wizard. They are weak at low level, but become better as they raise
    Two important steps
    Level 6 wizard (so level 7) you can take the prestige class. Either archmage for the SLA or necromancer to have undead form.
    The zombie form is weak, but it allows self-healing via death aura (negative energy heal you while damaging opponent - except undead)
    Level 7 wizard give you firewall and IceStorm, good AoE attack that last multiple rounds

Barbarian is strong vs few average opponent, while wizard will shine later against strong opponent (insta-death spell) or large group (AoE spells)

About spalshing rogue : yes, trapfinding, UMD and evasion are valuable (Maybe the feat that use Int bonus for reflexes may be useful). Only drawback, you get your wizard level a little later (and sometimes you wish to have it)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12