Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by KodamaBot View Post
    Why don't you get over yourself, and stop justifying yours and others' oppressive behavior. Because it's not 1950 anymore.
    What some people call "oppressive" in this day and age is laughable.

I'm sorry, you cannot be oppressed by some jerk in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    We'll also never eliminate murder or theft. Does that means we should just throw our hands up and "ignore" it?
    no - that's where the "rip their arms off and beat them to death with the soggy end" part of my statement comes in. If your going to quote me at least use the whole thing
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    What some people call "oppressive" in this day and age is laughable.

I'm sorry, you cannot be oppressed by some jerk in a video game.
    oppression

unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oppression

With the fact that part of the discussion is about homophobic comments I will say that a social majority (in this case being straight) is a form of power/authority and that some of what happens to homosexual teens is cruel and thus it falls under the definition of oppression. Words have power, look at the horrible things demagogues have caused throughout history.

Don't forget that there are literal children playing this game and that internet bullying and cruelty has caused some kids with other problems in their life to commit suicide. This is a serious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    oppression

unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oppression
    An "internet tough guy" jerk in your party has no authority or power over you.

I'm sorry, getting your feeling hurt is not oppression.

With the fact that part of the discussion is about homophobic comments I will say that a social majority (in this case being straight) is a form of power/authority and that some of what happens to homosexual teens is cruel and thus it falls under the definition of oppression. Words have power, look at the horrible things demagogues have caused throughout history.
    Godwin's law FTW! Surprised it took this long.

Don't forget that there are literal children playing this game and that internet bullying and cruelty has caused some kids with other problems in their life to commit suicide. This is a serious issue.
    /report

/squelch

/issue done.

An "internet tough guy" jerk in your party has no authority or power over you.

I'm sorry, getting your feeling hurt is not oppression.
    This isn't exactly an mmo but it's still internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Megan_Meier

The most vulnerable of our society do find it oppression and it does have a power over them. That is the problem.

This isn't exactly an mmo but it's still internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Megan_Meier

The most vulnerable of our society do find it oppression and it does have a power over them. That is the problem.
    Social networking doesn't have /squelch. Neither does real life.

DDO does, we're talking about DDO.

Seriously, you don't need to interact with anyone you don't want to interact with in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Martialis View Post
    The trouble is, your idea of what is appropriate and my idea of what is appropriate are two very different things (and I can confidently say that, even though I don't know you, from the content of your post). So now you are going to tell me what I can and can't do and what I can and can't say and where I can and can't do things, just because your own sense of moral righteous indignation tells you that you should? YOU, who, by your own admission, took a job where you were either killing real-life human beings, or supporting those who did so? Really?

Look, people need an outlet. What I say shouldn't matter at all to you. Words can't hurt you. If you get your panties all twisted in a knot, it's not my problem that you are so sensitive, it's yours.

What really bugs me is people who get offended "for" other people. This young girl that I was training at work was very offended by an offhand comment I made about the two gentlemen who live next door to me who seem to be of questionable sexual orientation. Fine, I'm offended that you are offended. Thankfully, I have had to have almost nothing to do with her since the training period ended.

See, it works both ways, you want to be a self-righteous, overly-sensitive, politically-correct ass, I don't have to associate with you either.

Jesus, get over yourselves, and stop thinking the world revolves around you, or even cares what you think. It doesn't.
    Your post is basically the exact opposite of the way it really works in society. Youve basically crossed the line on legal harassment law when THEIR idea of what is appropriate is violated, and they ask you one time to refrain, the next time you do it is the first count, the second time you do it is the second count.....you get the picture.

So your statement that the only thing that is important is what you feel is appropriate, is false. The entire reason harassment laws are written without clear defining lines as to what is and is not harassment is because people do not agree on what is appropriate in the first place. There would also be those who dance the fine line purposely.

Questionable orientation? LOL - dont forget to set your clocks back 50 years before going to bed tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanan View Post
    i belive this is a real issue and i dont understand why i am being attacked now for bringing it up.
    Because you are bringing up a real issue that conflicts with people's escapism (and I applaud you for it).

There is also far too much post feminism ingrained into society that rears it's ugly head anytime someone brings this real issue up (especially in the gaming community).

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Questionable orientation? LOL - dont forget to set your clocks back 50 years before going to bed tonight.
    Why not? It was a better world back then.

This thread is an example of what is wrong with society...

People expend SOO much effort trying to be offended, when it would be so much simpler and less stressful to just acknowledge jerks as such and look the other way. Ultimately, each person has the POWER over what they let offend them. You don't HAVE to be offended-- just laugh it off when someone tries to insult you, and think to yourself that they much possess a vastly inferior intelligence to resort to that kind of language.

Political Correctness is a plague to society, there's very little you can say anymore that someone won't find offensive. The "stupid" is offensive to people with "special needs" children is a great example of that.

More directly on-topic, this thread should not have gotten to seven pages. This is an MMO, and every MMO out there has an "ignore" feature. If someone in DDO is being "offensive" to you, type /squelch add <name> and you will never hear from or have to group with that person on that toon ever again.

It's that simple.
    Last edited by djl; 08-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Social networking doesn't have /squelch. Neither does real life.

DDO does, we're talking about DDO.

Seriously, you don't need to interact with anyone you don't want to interact with in this game.
    Defriending and private pages are essentially the same ability on facebook. It's not perfectly the same but in the broader context of internet entertainment it's valid.

Defriending and private pages are essentially the same ability on facebook. It's not perfectly the same but in the broader context of internet entertainment it's valid.
    I don't care about any "broader" concepts, I'm talking about DDO.

DDO has means of addressing this stuff. Use them.

The DMs are very good at this jobs regarding harassment reports. Use them.

Squelch the jerks. Regardless of what causes their jerkery.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post

People expend SOO much effort trying to be offended, when it would be so much simpler and less stressful to just acknowledge jerks as such and look the other way. Ultimately, each person has the POWER over what they let offend them. You don't HAVE to be offended-- just laugh it off when someone tries to insult you, and think to yourself that they much possess a vastly inferior intelligence to resort to that kind of language.

Political Correctness is a plague to society, there's very little you can say anymore that someone won't find offensive. The "stupid" is offensive to people with "special needs" children is a great example of that.

More directly on-topic, this thread should not have gotten to seven pages. This is an MMO, and every MMO out there has an "ignore" feature. If someone in DDO is being "offensive" to you, type /squelch add <name> and you will never hear from or have to group with that person on that toon ever again.

It's that simple.
    How dare you make sense! There's no room for that sort of conduct in this game...

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````
    MuleAxe~1 | Occidere~1| MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

No, it wasn't. Only someone truly ignorant of history would say that.
    Sabathal and Sabbathiel of Sarlona

Want to talk about opression? Look at what was going on 50 years ago from this year. Medgar Evers was killed, King had his "I have a dream speach", and Kennedy was assasinated.

Hard to see how 50 years ago we had a more calm and integrated society than we currently have. The younger generation today like to toss around a lot of catch phrases that cause emotional response for or against...when in reality their causes are quite pettty in compared to those causes they are attempting to associate themselves with.

You just THINK you know what oppression is if you are trying to use it in this setting.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post

It's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    How dare you make sense! There's no room for that sort of conduct in this game...
    It's not sense per say though, it's glorified apathy that supports the status quo.

It's claiming that because some go to one extreme it's not worth trying to protect others from the other extreme either. It's an argument that does nothing but support harassment, bigotry, and prejudice via the inaction it promotes.

Community Manager

This thread has long since moved into the realm of political discussion. If you feel you are being harassed in-game, please use the reporting tools available to you.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567