Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Hero

There are tons of causes for this, just a couple off the top of my head:

People who spend a majority of their time on the internet (not including work time) tend to have generally poor real life social skills. There are tons of reasons, poor self confidence, anger issues, depression issues, etc etc. But the poor social skills are then amplified by the feeling of anonymity.

There is also "peer pressure" like issues that ties into the ones mentioned above. Many people want to fit in and they tend to follow those who are mean and abusive because they think that it's a symbol of power. So after time they start acting like this as well.

These are the resons I personally see most often, but by no means does this explain even a tiny bit of what we see on the internet. Even I am a bit vulgar and down right mean at times. But I only do that with people with whom I am friends with and our "mean/sexism/d0uchebagerry" is actually our playful rapport.

But Impact is correct, compare to people in FPS shooters like BF3 and COD, MMO's sexists/bullies are kittens.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Oh that's a bunch of malarky.

People are jerks online, sexism/racism/homophobism has nothing to do with it. Jerks act out for whatever the reason but seriously psychological harm from what some mean anonymous jerk said on the internet?

I hear way more "slept with your mother" references than anything else. Does that need a term now? How about milfaphobia?

People need to not be so sensitive. I'd say people need to "grow a pair" but that would be sexist
    well,unfortunatly many people are sensitive,very sensitive. especially those who may use gaming as escapism from real world harassment,(i.e a young closet homosexual amongst strong conservative religious types) sometimes gaming especially mmo gaming is totally wrought with this kind of thing. mmo gaming can be just like drugs and alchohol and are often used in conjunction with escapism and immersion as the goal.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Khanan View Post
    There just seems to be alot of sexism and intolerance
    keep in mind that i am a straight male
    It's too bad that, while you're railing against the intolerance, you feel you have to make a big point of your own sex and orientation. Hypocritical, or just insecure?

well,unfortunatly many people are sensitive,very sensitive. especially those who may use gaming as escapism from real world harassment,(i.e a young closet homosexual amongst strong conservative religious types) sometimes gaming especially mmo gaming is totally wrought with this kind of thing. mmo gaming can be just like drugs and alchohol and are often used in conjunction with escapism and immersion as the goal.
    If you're that sensitive solo.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    It's too bad that, while you're railing against the intolerance, you feel you have to make a big point of your own sex and orientation. Hypocritical, or just insecure?
    i end with my gender and sexual orientation to let people know that i am indeed a straight male femenist. and to maybe get through to some people who are more ignorant and would consider this the rant of what has been called a "feme-nazi" in the past.

i belive this is a real issue and i dont understand why i am being attacked now for bringing it up.

Community Member

This really reminds me of a Ted talk. It was talking about how men are basically the worst threat to women, yet it is classified as a 'women's issue'. No it's an issue with men abusing women. It's a MAN issue.

This is a sitting around the camp fire, hanging out in an online world, people say horrible stuff and no one checks them on it.

People push it as far as they can get away with it... In a virtual world where their are no repercussions for being a jerk, they push it further. The response is as a group you clamp down on them.

Hence my previous comment about keeping my step-son in check, and his friends. It isn't only the parents, friends, it's everyone. If you see someone or hear someone acting like that, you have to say something... Silence is acceptance.

Community Member

(i.e a young closet homosexual amongst strong conservative religious types)
    What makes you think there is any less harassment in reverse? Conservatives get harassed, Christians get harassed. In your posts alone, you stereotype both groups. That is hateful, and perhaps you need to rethink your sensitivity.

i dont understand why i am being attacked now for bringing it up.
    Welcome to the DDO forums.

Honestly you're better off just asking Cordovan to delete this thread. Whether you intended it or not, it was troll bait the moment it hit the boards.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

It isn't as bad as other games, it does need constant vigilance, and your posting it on a forum. (Where some of the "trolls" live.)

People shouldn't make references like they do, it's a society issue, and if it's going to change, people have to speak up.

So, ignore the crowd questioning your methods, or disclaimers. It has nothing to do with the fact that people are can be sexist, racist, fools on the internet, and people don't keep them in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Go play League of Legends for a while, when you come back to ddo everyone will seem like Jesus compared to Lol community.
    I quite often hear my 21-year-old step-son playing LoL late into the night (which is a whole 'nother bag of cats ) and am aurally assaulted by the vilest, most disgusting and insanely original profanity shouted at near jet engine decibel levels I've ever encountered. There appear to be no taboo subjects of ridicule; nothing that he and his friends will not cobble into the meanest of pejoratives. Yet, when the game ends, they are relatively calm while rationally discussing the finer points of their match with a few run-of-the-mill obscenities thrown in here and there.

I don't think they see their behavior as harassment, racism, sexism or even plain old bad manners; it's simply SOP. While some may find it offensive, the intent is not to genuinely offend (I've heard more than one apology given). I think it is just to serve up heaping dose of smack-talk which has been going on since language was invented. At some point the bar may be raised beyond what the majority finds acceptable, but until that day I expect the war of words to continue unabated. And frankly, some of the things they say are hilarious.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    Hence my previous comment about keeping my step-son in check, and his friends. It isn't only the parents, friends, it's everyone. If you see someone or hear someone acting like that, you have to say something... Silence is acceptance.
    Agreed, It's about being the change you want to see in the world. We all have a duty and responsibility to affect change upon the society we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    . . .Where some of the "trolls" live.
    You rang?

Community Member

I have seen sexism in some pugs, but nothing that I can't handle myself. If things get too bad I can always claim to have no ears for a while. I don't mind admitting I'm female, but I do know that there are others who do not use voice chat because they do not wish others to know their gender. It's not until after I've spoken in voice chat will they use it. That to me is quite telling really. If I don't like people's play style or their language then I am quite happy not to play with them again. On the other hand I hope I can make other ladies/girls feel it's safe to play. Not everyone is mean. The object of any party I lead is for the whole party to have fun. If that means steering the conversation in a more suitable direction from time to time, then that's just fine by me.

When I wasn't leading a party, I did send a tell to a party member on a couple of occasions if I found their use of a particular word offensive and asked them politely to use an alternative. It was met with an immediate apology both times. I didn't make a big fuss though, but I did feel strongly enough to speak up.

Everyone is different and not everyone is able to speak up every time. Not being able to speak up does not make the behaviour right. Impolite is still impolite, abuse is still abuse, not to put too fine a point on it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I quite often hear my 21-year-old step-son playing LoL late into the night (which is a whole 'nother bag of cats ) and am aurally assaulted by the vilest, most disgusting and insanely original profanity shouted at near jet engine decibel levels I've ever encountered. There appear to be no taboo subjects of ridicule; nothing that he and his friends will not cobble into the meanest of pejoratives. Yet, when the game ends, they are relatively calm while rationally discussing the finer points of their match with a few run-of-the-mill obscenities thrown in here and there.

I don't think they see their behavior as harassment, racism, sexism or even plain old bad manners; it's simply SOP. While some may find it offensive, the intent is not to genuinely offend (I've heard more than one apology given). I think it is just to serve up heaping dose of smack-talk which has been going on since language was invented. At some point the bar may be raised beyond what the majority finds acceptable, but until that day I expect the war of words to continue unabated. And frankly, some of the things they say are hilarious.
    See, I don't let that go... I couldn't care about swearing, and frustration with dying, and some verbal sparing... However when yelling at your computer, and screaming at your "friends" is how you "play" I draw the line. One upping people in just being gross, and horrible is fun. But there is a line, and if I hear him cross it, I step in.

Not to mention, I have to work in the morning. If you can't handle death in a game, and have to scream every time you die in a mini-temper tantrum, then the power in your room may just fail. (This is all explained before hand.)

You have it worse since the "man" is 21. I hope I'm in before full adult-hood, and he learns a thing or two about how not to be a total D-bag.

im aware that it is prevalent in all forms of online gaming,iv just noticed the sexual harassment of female players in the mmo setting is far more deep and personal than some kid swearing at you while playing call of duty. and the conversation cant end with " u dont play many online games do u". just as in the real world if you dont speak up and keep poking at every once and awhile the mindset behind such thins will never change,this my community that enjoy being a part of,so just thought id speak up in hopes of making it slightly better
    There is one reason why this is so pervasive and will remain so. Anonymity.

No repercussions for being a dipnozzle and so thats what we get. Its just the way it is with any net game in general...but by and large, this one is much more laid back because we are not killing each other.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    What makes you think there is any less harassment in reverse? Conservatives get harassed, Christians get harassed. In your posts alone, you stereotype both groups. That is hateful, and perhaps you need to rethink your sensitivity.
    i was speaking of specific examples of harassment of women and homosexuals,and the actual example provided was just that: 1 example,you could easily replace that with any 2 groups or individuals you want,it could be homosexuals harrassing religeous types just as easily. but i speak of harassment of women and homosexuals as that is what i have witnessed in the context. and now thi sis where i leave this thread for the same reasons i started it. thank you all for your responses and getting the dialog going. WINNING.

Community Member

Thi thread needs a few

baba booey...baba booey...baba booey ..." references

i was speaking of specific examples of harassment . . .
    There are in-game methods of handling harassment.

What else is there to say?

"When Male Bonding Goes to Far...."

Story at 11.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Not sure what anyone is talking about... I've never seen or heard anything such as what you are referring to; especially not in junior high or elementary school. It must be the croud you hang arround in. Might wana look for a different server...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast