Community Member

Default Crystal Cove award formula?

It used to be pretty straight-forward but now makes little sense to me. There don't appear to be any fixed percentages based on level, and what's worse, you now seem to get penalized for running at level, which also doesn't make any sense.

This morning I was with a good group of 15-17s, we 4-starred CR17 and were rewarded with a 20% penalty to our dragonshards.

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

It does seem to be giving less dragonshards this time than it did last time. I thought the basic formula was that if you are running at level, then any dragonshards you mined past the initial 100 were your payout. This can be adjusted by running above or below level. Doesn't seem to be working that way.

Last time it was here, once our group started clicking we were consistently getting 400-550 dragonshards. Doing just as well it seems, we are only getting maybe 300-350 now. That's running at a cr equal to the highest person in the group, or even a level or 2 above. The number of dragonshards displayed over 100 also seems to be almost unrelated to the payout, or the score.

Founder

The formula for shards was changed in U17:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=33

"The new Reward Formula works like Challenges, and goes like this:
    - You get Dragonshards equal to 70% of your Score (the Kobold Union takes 30% for their efforts). You get one Point for each Crystal (purples are worth 10, Randomly spawned giant blue crystals (Epic levels only?) are worth more (Please verify value) but can't go through the teleporter.)

This means if you collect exactly 100 Crystals during your Cove Run, you will walk away with 70 Dragonshards instead.

This math assumes the character levels of your entire party are the same as the CR you are running the Cove at; running the Cove above or below your level can influence your Score, the same way it does in Challenges. That, combined with removing the Crystal cap, means the Cove should be giving more Dragonshards per run than in previous years."

Per the DDOwiki "You get Dragonshards equal to 70% of your Score (the Kobold Union takes 30% for their efforts)." This assumes that you are running "at level". This is 70% of all collected, including the first 100. The old way (pre U17) gave you 100% of those after 100, which could be better if you routinely maxed it.

I haven't done calculations lately but it seems about right. I had a really bad run and got 80 greens, and think I had collected like 110 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    It used to be pretty straight-forward but now makes little sense to me. There don't appear to be any fixed percentages based on level, and what's worse, you now seem to get penalized for running at level, which also doesn't make any sense.

This morning I was with a good group of 15-17s, we 4-starred CR17 and were rewarded with a 20% penalty to our dragonshards.

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

As on DDOWiki Treasures of Cove page:

Quote Originally Posted by DDOWiki;

Update 17 reward ratio:

Originally Posted by Steelstar
    The original Reward formula for the Cove went like this:

- Kobold Union kept the first 100 Crystals you get as payment for their efforts
    - You got Dragonshards at a 1:1 ratio with whatever Crystals you got past the first 100.

This meant if you collected exactly 100 Crystals during a Cove run, you would walk away with zero Dragonshards (since the Kobold Union kept everything up to your Quota).

The new Reward Formula works like Challenges, and goes like this:
    - You get Dragonshards equal to 70% of your Score (the Kobold Union takes 30% for their efforts). You get one Point for each Crystal (purples are worth 10, Randomly spawned giant blue crystals (Epic levels only?) are worth more (Please verify value) but can't go through the teleporter.)

This means if you collect exactly 100 Crystals during your Cove Run, you will walk away with 70 Dragonshards instead.

This math assumes the character levels of your entire party are the same as the CR you are running the Cove at; running the Cove above or below your level can influence your Score, the same way it does in Challenges. That, combined with removing the Crystal cap, means the Cove should be giving more Dragonshards per run than in previous years.

Doh!!!! Too slow!
    Last edited by Moonsickle; 08-06-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: ninja'd and fixed quoted part
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Community Member

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that.

I find it easier to get more than 200 shards now than I did before, but it's still disappointing to see that big number of shards you collected then get knocked down.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsickle View Post
    As on DDOWiki Treasures of Cove page:

Update 17 reward ratio:

This math assumes the character levels of your entire party are the same as the CR you are running the Cove at; running the Cove above or below your level can influence your Score, the same way it does in Challenges. That, combined with removing the Crystal cap, means the Cove should be giving more Dragonshards per run than in previous years.

as long as you don't go above 335 crystals that is 335 is the break even point. if you consistently gather less than 335 crystals, then the new way is better for you. 200 * .7 > (200-100)*1

but if you consistently gather more than 335, you get less. 400 * .7 < (400 - 100)*1

the one thing that would tip the scales back in your favor would be the old cap on # of crystals per run. I don't remember what that was but if it was 500 and you now collect 600, then you are back in the plus column with 600 * .7 > (500 cap - 100) * 1

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    the one thing that would tip the scales back in your favor would be the old cap on # of crystals per run. I don't remember what that was but if it was 500 and you now collect 600, then you are back in the plus column with 600 * .7 > (500 cap - 100) * 1
    I believe the original cap was 300 crystals farmed. You would get 200 max at level.

Quote Originally Posted by erdson View Post
    I believe the original cap was 300 crystals farmed. You would get 200 max at level.
    This is correct! When running at-level, you always get more Crystals now than you would have by doing the same run under the old reward formula.

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    as long as you don't go above 335 crystals that is 335 is the break even point. if you consistently gather less than 335 crystals, then the new way is better for you. 200 * .7 > (200-100)*1

but if you consistently gather more than 335, you get less. 400 * .7 < (400 - 100)*1

Sorry, I fixed my previous post... to what it should have looked like.

only things from that post that were mine were:

"As on DDOWiki Treasures of Cove page:" and "Doh!!!! Too slow!"
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Lately I've been seeing a trend that a lot of groups want to do the runs at a significantly higher level, believing they will get more shards.

While this is certainly true if you have a good group, it is not if you don't. If a random PUG of level 20-22 characters goes in at level 27 or 28, and barely makes quota, we wind up with somewhere around 120 shards (or so.) When this has happened (and it has happened a lot recently) I try to suggest we do the second run at level 23 or 24. When we have done this, we get upwards of 200 shards, because we are more easily able to protect the kobolds and collect more crystals, including the progenitor crystal.

One person mentioned that you get a lot more XP for going in at higher levels, even if you don't get as many shards. I always look at shards as the main point (since you can only get them in Crystal Cove), and XP as a bonus (since you can get that anywhere, anytime.)

I don't mind trying it at a higher level, but if you have a dozen deaths and get 110 shards total, I don't see the sense in doing the second run at the same level.

Unfortunately, this tends to happen even when I form my own groups; somebody will enter at five or six levels above the highest level character, and will then argue about how many more shards we will get and how much more XP we will get. I assume these are the same people who will highjack a group that lists "Hard" on the LFM and go in on Elite, and then argue that they have a streak going and don't want to break it.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    Lately I've been seeing a trend that a lot of groups want to do the runs at a significantly higher level, believing they will get more shards.
    Definitely true. Though I am still trying to get up to 20 to run some epic level CC but the groups I've found in the teens actually are in some cases too conservative.. a group running with people 15-18 wanted to run at CR17, and we took a pretty big hit on the crystals. OTOH, when I hit 16 and joined a 16-18 group and they told me they wanted to do CR21 I was rather shocked... we got it done, but only netted 150-200 crystals, where I've gotten over 400 with a group running at a more reasonable level.

Community Member

Definitely true. Though I am still trying to get up to 20 to run some epic level CC but the groups I've found in the teens actually are in some cases too conservative.. a group running with people 15-18 wanted to run at CR17, and we took a pretty big hit on the crystals. OTOH, when I hit 16 and joined a 16-18 group and they told me they wanted to do CR21 I was rather shocked... we got it done, but only netted 150-200 crystals, where I've gotten over 400 with a group running at a more reasonable level.
    Got in with a truly outstanding group last night.
    I started out with almost 700 shards, only wanting to farm the 300 or so to upgrade the runearm to t2.
    By the time I was done, I had 2700 shards. We did 4 runs mostly at lvl 25, one at 27.
    Funny thing is, now that I have a surplus of shards, I need more friggin emeralds to upgrade the other stuff.

I hope those folks are gonna run it again tonight.

Last night my character (level 22) joined a group of level 20's. They wanted to do it at level 20 and I said that was fine with me.

I was taking a 15% hit on shards because I was 2 levels above the challenge level, but two runs still netted me just over 500 shards. In my opinion, it is just so much easier when you can smash through the mobs and concentrate on running torches and collecting shards (which is really the entire point of the whole thing) instead of having a three or four minute fight on your hands every time you run into a new cavern.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.