Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Most mentors, vets, long time players or those that would be willing to mentor are in guilds, some of them guild leaders and officers, so splitting their time between guilds or even leaving their current guild is simply not an option, but a chat channel is.
    I really don't see that many people would leave a guild or that it is necessary. Perhaps if the University concept with its guilds expands from new players and lower level content, some might want to instead of leveling up a new toon. As for splitting time, I have no idea how many people are willing to do such. If it is worth doing, I am hoping some people will. If enough do, then it won't be a major chunk of anyone's time.

Also, new players tend to get sucked into guilds rather quick and are then hesitant to leave, even if the guild they got recruited to is not all that good.
    First off, I think that "good" is too vague. Are we talking good for getting mentoring and learning the game so that they will stay? Are we talking a good fit for their playstyle? As for getting sucked into guilds and staying, we'll have to see what happens with renown decay when Shadowfell is released. I think that at some point I or someone else should probably write up things to consider when joining a guild, including changing guilds. I imagine there are quite a few people who start guilds that have no clue about decay, and that upon learning of it, rethink their blanket recruiting policies. But if the recent departure penalty doesn't come back, the only cost of guild hopping is the loss of 10% of the renown you generated for it. That still leaves 90%. Who knows, they may eventually decrease or do away with that.

I would join a Mentoring Chat channel, but I would never leave my guild and I don't really have the time or inclination to split between guilds.
    Noted. My thinking is moving from a chat channel is a possibility to a chat channel is highly probable. But I definitely haven't given up on the guild idea as part of the University. And if anyone knows of any existing chat channels that mentor players, I would appreciate you sending me a PM about them.

And finally, the guilds are just my personal current focus for the University. I think they have a good chance of increasing new player retention. The University is about enhancing people's enjoyment of the game through education and research. It can take on and house some things. But it can also point people to existing guilds, chat channels, web pages, etc. And it can be used to help organize things. We'll just have to wait and see what the University does and does not do.

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post
    And if anyone knows of any existing chat channels that mentor players, I would appreciate you sending me a PM about them.
    Clay has a lists of Mentors, by server.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ter-an-absence

Clay has a lists of Mentors, by server.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ter-an-absence
    Thanks! I will probably try contacting some of these people in the near future. Do you know anyone on that list? Do you know how up to date it is?

Community Member

Thelanis has a helper channel, as well as Sarlona.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

I think this is a good idea overall and commend anyone trying to focus on helping new-comers but would recommend the following:

website: use DDO Wiki (www.ddowiki.com) as a place for answers and have an active thread in these forums for Q & A.

in game: Use a channel, preferably an existing channel, and so folk can stay in the guild of their choice if they want. I try to monitor the advice channel but that can get overloaded sometimes. It would be good if folk can be moved to a party to help them.

Default FYI - Starting on Cannith

Just wanted to let anyone who is keeping track that I decided the first step would be to build up the guild on Cannith. That doesn't mean that other servers cannot get going simultaneously, or that other projects besides running with and mentoring new players cannot go on. It just means that for the moment, I personally will be focusing my efforts there. The thread about it is at :

http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...lp-new-players
    DDO University : A player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research.

Visit http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/ for more information

Community Member

First thing a newbie wants to do is make friends; long after they have mastered the game those friends should still be there. The commitment goes well beyond just helping newbies out but why not? DDOU sounds like a good idea to help bring people together.

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post
    I am posting this to the DDO forums to apprise people of an idea I've been working on called DDO University. I may later try to get permission to cross post it to the server specific sections in case that has a chance of getting more people to read it and understand that it is a cross-server project. In short, I have made a blog post about it on the University website describing the current state of the project and am appealing to the DDO community at large to help with it. As the About page of the website states, the University is meant to be "a player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research." Anyone and everyone is welcome to participate in this project as much or as little as they desire and have time for. Thank you for reading this and I hope you will visit the following link to read about the state of the University at this time.

http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/2...he-university/
    Why start something new,DDO Wiki could use some updates.You could use your time there.
    I dont see why you couldnt put any information you want on DDO wiki. Not knocking you effort but unsure why you dont improve something that is already being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    First thing a newbie wants to do is make friends; long after they have mastered the game those friends should still be there. The commitment goes well beyond just helping newbies out but why not? DDOU sounds like a good idea to help bring people together.
    I Agree. Running quests with your friends, whether they are in your current guild or not is probably a big draw for a lot of people. I pointed out a few ideas in Post #4 of this thread about how the University concept might even introduce clubs, recruiting drives from other guilds, etc. to better connect the player population. And I am starting a user chat channel as well. Community is part of the fun of DDO.
    Last edited by DDO_University; 08-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    DDO University : A player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuda13 View Post
    Why start something new,DDO Wiki could use some updates.You could use your time there.
    I dont see why you couldnt put any information you want on DDO wiki. Not knocking you effort but unsure why you dont improve something that is already being used.
    The University may start an effort to help improve the Wiki, although it is already a great resource and community. In Post #11 of this thread, DunkleNymphe continues a point made by someone else that some new players may be turned off by being pointed to the Wiki or anything to read, instead of getting a detailed answer in game. I'm sure some new players are excited when they start to realize the richness of toon building and game mechanics of DDO. But others might just want to experience the game for a while before trying to take in all the underlying details a bit slower later on. For the former type player, if they join the University, they may take to the Wiki and head for another guild very quickly. Hopefully they would stay in touch with the University and help it out at least a little here and there. For the later type of player, they might not stay around enough to get into DDO to the point where they want to learn all the details. Hopefully University guilds, blog posts, chat channels, etc. can help them transition. Also, I did talk about the Wiki some in Post #19 of this thread. I need to take some time in the future to consider and discuss the subject more. Hopefully with some help from others.

Default A possible way to help...

Just a quick thought which I'm sure some people are already doing. Sell low level gear on the AH with a buyout of list price or less. If you really feel generous, spend 15 minutes either farming Haverdasher repeatedly or Irestone once on a high level toon to make it go quickly.
    Last edited by DDO_University; 08-26-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Community Member

Default Wayfinder

Do you have one on on this server ? I just game back after 3 years starting from scratch and i brought a few friends. With all the changes im LOST and we could use some guidance. Much thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12