Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Finally have to admit that I don't like my Wiz :/

Hi all,

I came back to DDO recently after a 2 year break. My main (only) character at that time was a Wiz 14/Rog 2. Trying to get him to 20 now for a TR and....I'm hating playing him :/

Maybe at one point I had the knack of budgeting SPs, but I don;'t seem to have it now. I'm eating DDO store SP potions like they're going out of fashion. Could be a problem with my enhancements and/or gear (it's junk), but the character feels....meh.

On the other hand, I love love love the rogue splash. I mainly solo (no choice, small child) and I can get through most quests with this char.

For my TR, I'm liking the look of Sorc, but I dunno if I can live without Rogue splashes, and I just can't see how it'd work.

Conflicted :/

Aes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    For my TR, I'm liking the look of Sorc, but I dunno if I can live without Rogue splashes, and I just can't see how it'd work.

Aes.
    Water savant is pretty solable (with a hire until you can self-heal). Pretty much the only thing that kills mine are elite traps -which sadly happens frequently. If you get to choose your dungeons though, you can avoid those. If you don't play elite then you are all set.

I came back to DDO recently after a 2 year break. My main (only) character at that time was a Wiz 14/Rog 2. Trying to get him to 20 now for a TR and....I'm hating playing him :/
    I'm pretty much in the same boat with one of my characters, but I'm only at 9/2 (IIRC). I really like being able to kill almost indefinitely, and winning through attrition (I'm a very patient person!), so I just can't get along with depending on having a blue bar to kill things.

My current plan is to wait for the enhancement pass, and use the LR+20 to switch into a Wrath-Assassin, Wraith-Arty, or something like. Use my blue bar for buffs and heals, and melee/range things to death as the bread and butter.
    I managed to get a 28-point bardcher to level 20 solo, so I imagine I could manage it with a melee wizard as well. Or at least having a blast trying. Not like the character could get much less playtime than it does currently...

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

I cannot get the knack of playing wizzies, either. Tried several times, and my current fvs-TRed-into-wiz is stuck at 15 or something. Meh.

I like my sorcs much better, more sp, faster cast speed, SLAs... it's all good.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Community Member

I'm VIP atm so I can access all the quests (I don't have MOTU, but that doesn't matter pre-20); the difficulty is that I am not sufficiently experienced to know which ones not to try I also don't really like the idea of being limited to certain quests because I can't survive a trap. Also please bear in mind that the vast majority of quests in game are unknown to me - I explore them and quite often have to find traps the hard way

I think what I will do is try to find a build which encompasses:

- Trapping/Search/Spot/Locks
    - Primarily melee offense
    - Secondary ranged offense
    - Self buffing (Clickies/casting)
    - Self healing

So far the only possibility I can see is a bard. Which kinda makes the Wiz life a bit useless, but...I can deal with that

I'll deal with the last 4 levels I guess, and hopefully I can make a better life next time

EDIT: I've not thought much about the EP, maybe that will make a difference - I'll look it up.

Aes.

I'm VIP atm so I can access all the quests (I don't have MOTU, but that doesn't matter pre-20); the difficulty is that I am not sufficiently experienced to know which ones not to try I also don't really like the idea of being limited to certain quests because I can't survive a trap. Also please bear in mind that the vast majority of quests in game are unknown to me - I explore them and quite often have to find traps the hard way

- Self healing

So far the only possibility I can see is a bard. Which kinda makes the Wiz life a bit useless, but...I can deal with that

I'll deal with the last 4 levels I guess, and hopefully I can make a better life next time

EDIT: I've not thought much about the EP, maybe that will make a difference - I'll look it up.

Aes.

Love this dude:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-6-Rogue-2%29

Community Member

- Self healing

Aes.
    I think what you are looking for is an artificer. An arty can disable traps and open locks, usually even better than a rogue can, because his primary stat is Intelligence, which means lots of skill points. And he can cast reconstruct for self healing if he is a warforged (and 99% of Arties are WF). The primary offense is the repeating crossbow, which is devastating on level 1-20 mobs. And he can conjure his own bolts, so he never runs out of ammo, and he can buff himself with various spells enhancing his equipment and armor. You can gain this class through gaining House Cannith favor, or just purchase it.

What's the dealio? You got mass suggestion. Use that.

The trick to playing a wizard is that you have to be efficient in using your resources. What costs more mana, blasting mobs down one at a time or throwing a charm and letting them fight each other? Symbol of death and circle of death are really good if you're going the necro route.

Learn when you HAVE to kill stuff and when you don't. Learn when you can just run past it invisible. This is the fun part of playing a wizard. If you're just blasting away until you're out of SP, you're trying to play a wizard like a sorcerer, and it's going to suck.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Wizzies are changing soon

There are some changes in store for wizzies over on Lamannia.

Just wait a couple of weeks.

I still like my WF sorcerors anyway even with the new wizzie stuff.

Since we are not supposed to talkl about fight club that is all I will say. But you do have a tool called the internet to satisfy your curiosity.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

As said Psychoblonde, what you have to do is to learn being more mana efficient. Basically, while a melee may try to kill everything one at a time to keep things easy, a caster wants to group them as much as possible, and has much more options than simple dps. Try using more charms, aoe, instadeath spells, etc. If you keep buying store pots, you'll never learn to manage your sp pool. After having practiced it, you'll see the class differently.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Wizards (pale masters) are the strongest class in the game...... :O

Community Member

If you're not a Pale Master, become one. Use Necrotic Touch + Necrotic Bolt to kill single weak enemies, groups of enemies can be taken out using Wall of Fire/Ice Storm (spec mostly for fire/cold) for the most part, and throw on Death Aura when your health is getting low. On really tough enemies or bosses, use Niac's Biting Cold (and/or Eladar's Electric Surge). Get the biggest shield you can find and switch to it (from either a shield with no Arcane Spell Failure or a helpful two-handed/secondary weapon) when you cast Wall of Fire/Ice Storm and sit inside blocking (+ Death Aura if necessary). That should take care of your troubles with SP in most quests, though not all.

When you get a few more levels, you'll be able to solo Zawabi's Revenge. The tactics for that are a bit tricky and will take some time to learn, but maxing out your cold damage and some good timing/luck will make it possible. That raid has a chance of dropping The Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II, which regenerates your SP occasionally when you're hit. That will solve your SP problems from level 12 on on almost any caster in almost any case. Unfortunately, the Torc's drop rate is pretty low (you'd probably want to group for it to get the best possible chance for one). I was lucky enough to get one on my 13th run, and it's made my caster lives since then a breeze for the most part, in terms of SP management.

I ran with a friend a while back who is always doing FoTM builds. He did the wiz/rogue thing and ran with my wiz and another buddy who is rogue/fighter. He was telling me how great it was, and he would never need a rogue and it was still as powerful as a wiz.

In heroic levels, he got really disappointed with his toon. It was a much poorer rogue than the other toon, whenever we let him do traps, he generally had a few failures. And he was always 2 steps behind on wiz. He got Wraith 2 levels after I did, he never got to enjoy Lich, his DC's sucked, and he had a much smaller sp and spell choice pool. My FoD was reliable, his was about 60-70%. Maybe with some gear he could've brought it up, but my toon wasn't geared especially well either.

He ended up starting up another toon.

LOL.. I know this feeling.

I mean I took a 6 month break, and came back, my namesake is a Wiz 18/Rogue2/Epic1 and I left pretty much when ED's were the new thing, so I come back and I am looking at all my spells, my gear, the new gear, and thinking, now what do I do?

I remember being a bit stronger before then I feel right now playing, and that I bet is a case if trying to jump into the deep end of the pool after so long a break, but I wanted my wiz for cove farming, still wondering if I made the right choice on that. Anyway, yah, for some odd reason I just feel weak, and that is not thrilling me that much right now, so I have opted to play my Monk more and just try to sync back into the game a bit more.

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. Casters are a trick to play well, and after so long a break, it's only natural for there to be one heck of a learning curve.

hireling with divine vitality and suddenly you have 2x the amount of sp usually does the trick until you can get good equip/dc/tactics down. dont remember which hirelings are good certain of them have someting like 16 DV others have 5DV so you need to try several hirelings until you find which has good DVs

Community Member

Hi all,

Maybe at one point I had the knack of budgeting SPs, but I don;'t seem to have it now. I'm eating DDO store SP potions like they're going out of fashion. Could be a problem with my enhancements and/or gear (it's junk), but the character feels....meh.

On the other hand, I love love love the rogue splash. I mainly solo (no choice, small child) and I can get through most quests with this char.

Aes.
    Best way to not drain SP like crazy is really to gather a bunch of mobs and then maximized/empowered AOE them down. Direct damage or over time, your call. This will require you to learn a new approach when it comes to fighting and also mitigate as much damage as possible with both spells (blur and displacement) and mobility. But it is crazy effective both speed and SP efficient wise once you master it. PM or not, it'll work if you invest into spell power with both enhancements and Items (potency or the right element).

While learning this playstyle, you can start with some CCs. Like you run straight through a couple pack of mobs then 180 degrees (or use line of sight if walls/other are available) and then throw 2-3 webs if needed then once everything is packed up, bring them down. The faster you will be at circling till everything really comes stacked up, the less CC you will need and the more SP efficient you will become. It also really develops speed and in-game reflexes if you're into that.

Line of sight really shines if you're facing not just only melees, but caster and non-static range as well.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

i did 2 wiz past lives back to back mainly soloing and what worked for me was getting Str to 12 and 14 and slugging away with a Greatsword with rage/divine power clickies. But i'm not sure if it will work as well now, i hear the to hit computations have changed and they no longer have Augmented guild slot weapons that give + to hit. But for mid levels and once you get lvl 18, you have pretty decent DPS with your SLA's and wouldn't need to really cast spells and u can save mana.

Another thing that was game breaking was farming for a Torc, but that will really take a grind.. But if you 'do' get it, it can be a game changer for heroic levels, and soloing EN and EH. You'll never run out of mana..

If i'd rate the strongest character i've ever played (not considering EE), its the 18wiz, 2 rogue. I haven't played Warforged Sorc yet so that may be stronger though
    Last edited by supott; 08-05-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Community Member

Lots of good input and advice here. For sure I am not playing my Wiz to his full potential - some of this is gear, some is build issues (mainly enhancements, couple of feats need swapping), and alot is laziness :P I also think a major issue of mine is that I run solo too much - I really really should get into grouping more.

Arti definitely looks interesting, especially since I just got a lesson in what an arti can do in an Elite Tear of Dhakaan run...wow.

With regard to waiting for the EP, it'll take me at least that long to hit 20 and farm shroud a bit for GS mats. So I'll definitely wait to check out what it plays like after that.

Thanks everyone for the input

Aes.

I have numerous Wizards (my favorite class) and I would have to say that their use is much more tactical than a sorc. I have found that if your intention is to blow through content, a Wiz is not the way to go, and you need to be picking the right tool for the right job. For example.... are you charming melees? Are you cloudkilling stationary enemies? FoDing casters? Not that those are the only tools, but they are a good start.

Also, I have found that any Wiz splashing another class (I do so with Monk or Rogue) *needs* SP regen items. Both a torc and a con-op make them much easier to play. The torc can be a pain in the arse to get, but between the two there is a good deal of content in which you can have functionally infinite SP without pots. Especially if you run a pale master or a WF.

Lastly, I don't know from the new stuff coming, but currently if you go the archmage route there are definitely some lines that are easier. An evocation WF can be very powerful. My preference, though, is a charmer. On the other end of the spectrum, my illusionist is great at buffing, but that is about it.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

I've got alot of wizards characters. Both archmage and pale master. The trick is to know what spells do what. use suggestion/mass suggestion and symbol of persusasion in tough situations. for an archmage, use magic missile (SLA - 2 mana) and arcane bolt(2 mana), cost 4 mana for limited mana cost. use Fire wall for an ongoing aoe for alot of mobs. if the wall of fire isn't killing them fast enough, use fireball, or delayed blast fireball. Web/and firewall can also be a deadly combination.

Generally you shouldn't waste too much mana on trash mobs. I try to keep my mana down to about 20 mana per kill max, so that gives me 50 kills with 1 K mana. You should get yourself a magi or wizardry V item minimum, and a 6 INT item. With the crystal cove going on its certainly possible to get an archmagi hat with 15 concentration with some work at it.

Don't use maximize/empower on non-SLA spells, good way to lolse alot of mana fast. if its a spell like ability, costs no extra mana to boost those....Extend is a good metamagic on spells you have to recast often, to save mana....make sure you have one or two good enhancement boost lines and Spell powered items, I usually take force and something else...Potency is okay for being a generalist, but it lowers your overall dmg compared to a specialist.

All characters should have high fortification and spell resistance. Blur/displacement helps in most situations against melee. Generally wizards shouldn't be up front melee-ing. They should be in the back of the party...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast