Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy To devs: Could you please reduce the map turn for the rest of CC event?

It has slowed down quite a bit, and takes many hours, especially on off hours (on Sarlona).

I do my bit when I can - use Grog whenever it is helpful, and run some high map quests (butchers path, etc.). But the number of people running CC seem to be quite low in general.

So could the number of map pieces be brought down from 3000 to 2000 for the rest of this event?

Quote Originally Posted by Drevok View Post
    It has slowed down quite a bit, and takes many hours, especially on off hours (on Sarlona).

I do my bit when I can - use Grog whenever it is helpful, and run some high map quests (butchers path, etc.). But the number of people running CC seem to be quite low in general.

So could the number of map pieces be brought down from 3000 to 2000 for the rest of this event?
    I think tieing the challenge unlock to the amount of turned in map pieces is a bad way of doing it. It means that less players means less opening leading to less interest rather than more. If the intention was to have the challenge open every X minutes, then it should just be a timed opening every X minutes. Basing it off of map turn ins turns it into a ghost town during non peak times and slows down the whole process over time after the first couple days as you've already noted.

The map turn in unlocking worked fine the first and maybe second time as interest was highest, but it's an out of date gating system that should have been changed long ago. Lowering the amount of map pieces will serve little purpose as it would still slow down openings over time and during non peak hours compared to peak times at the start of the event. The openings would still be relatively slow later on. I'm actually quite surprised they didn't release a DDO store item that just unlocks the door for you so you can buy your way inside. I fear I may have just given them another "great" money making idea.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Drevok View Post

I believe that what they really need to do for these kinds of events is:

1) Have the turn-ins tick down over time regardless of whether or not people are turning things in. Guaranteeing an open every 3 hours or something might be a good start.

2) Give XP for each turn-in (something like +5 XP/level or something) at turn-in. The action needs to be better incentivized.

Well, part of the issue is a bunch of people are having problems logging on.

also would help if you didn't have a bunch of freeloaders standing on the boat the whole time instead of farming maps so it will open faster. I know that is 90% of the problem on Orien.

Community Member

At the moment it seems Smuggler's rest is inaccessible and the characters there are possibly being corrupted.
    I cannot access my characters who logged out there anymore.

Unfortunately I also made the mistake of traveling there with another characters, which is now also unaccessible.

Excellent job Turbine!

Actually doubly excellent:
    There has been an influx of new players to Wayfinder lately who of course all get the message about the CC event when they log on. I suppose a lot of new players may find their characters stuck there now. Chances are that'll be the last time they log into DDO at all.
    I think I have a new catchphrase for you: "Turbine: Using advertising for maximum disaster."

Quote Originally Posted by EnziteBob View Post
    also would help if you didn't have a bunch of freeloaders standing on the boat the whole time instead of farming maps so it will open faster. I know that is 90% of the problem on Orien.
    Give players some XP or a green dragon shard per map piece turn-in and people wouldn't just stand around.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    Give players some XP or a green dragon shard per map piece turn-in and people wouldn't just stand around.
    Give players a green dragon shard per map piece turn-in and no one would run the CC challenge, though - you'd just farm Butchers Path on grog, more map pieces/hour and not reliant on an open window. The only reason to run CC challenge would be to farm gems, but you don't need many of those compared to green shards - a couple good gem runs would be all you need over the course of the event.

Same for XP....it'd be impossible, I think, to calibrate it so that you got enough XP/turn-in to encourage people to do it, but not make it completely abusable if you grind maps deliberately as hardcore as you can.

I think it'd help if maps dropped from all mobs IN the CC challenge. At least, then, everyone grinding away while the window's open would earn enough maps to put you partway towards the next window - keep the momentum going.

Part of the problem is some people are hoarders and only turn in their own maps when the count is low and they actually want to get the challenge going soon. Maybe it would look like it's going down faster if the count was changed to be based on when the map piece is being picked up rather than turned in. Of course, it doesn't stop the people who just stay out of CC altogether until the count gets low, but at least it would get low faster for them

Default Cove; xp per map piece.

I love the suggestion of providing xp per map piece turned in.

When I'm running the cove, I just get a grog and go do Vale or something. I don't care that it gives me poor maps/minute, I want xp and not to waste my time.

Also, though I love the Cove and everything, I'm all geared out b/c of grinding it in the past. No new gear, no tweaked gear means no incentive for me to bother except nostalgia.

The thing is, it's set up in such a way to promote hoarders and people like me who want to get xp while getting map pieces. And I totally understand the reasons for hoarding, though I don't do it. For ex., why should I turn my pieces in when I can save them for a time that's right for me?

Last, turning anything into the box sucks. It turns DDO into a clickefest of boredom. That's just one more reason not to bother with CC - sorry, love it, but seriously I am not clicking on a stupid box for a half-hour or more just to make one item (the healing flask literally took me over 30 minutes the first time b/c I ran CC at lvl 25 - never again).

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Give players a green dragon shard per map piece turn-in and no one would run the CC challenge, though - you'd just farm Butchers Path on grog, more map pieces/hour and not reliant on an open window. The only reason to run CC challenge would be to farm gems, but you don't need many of those compared to green shards - a couple good gem runs would be all you need over the course of the event.
    Why would it matter if there were alternative, indirect sources, of green dragon shards? You need 10's of thousands to get the best gear. And when they get around to adding more level 24 and 28 gear you'll need 10's of thousands more. Forcing people to grind one challenge doesn't have to define the event. Can you really generate 300 map pieces in 20 minutes on the Butcher's Path on grog? If not, when the Cove opens, it will still be the best place to get greens. And it will open more often because people will be getting and turning in more map pieces to get greens. I think more choice about where to get greens is a good thing.

Lastly, grog makes Turbine money. They'll sell more grog and make them more money to reduce the grind. That's what store items tend to do and every player will benefit.

You'll still need to run the cove challenge for gems and as a potential best source of greens per minute people will gravitate towards the open door.

Same for XP....it'd be impossible, I think, to calibrate it so that you got enough XP/turn-in to encourage people to do it, but not make it completely abusable if you grind maps deliberately as hardcore as you can.
    You don't have to be the best source of XP in the game to create incentive. But being a near zero source of XP is certainly a disincentive. And that's what we have now on the island.
    Last edited by Full_Bleed; 08-04-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Lightbulb

... Forcing people to grind ...

They don't actually force anyone to do anything, but I think it would be a good solution

Well it seems people may have different needs/wants... be it coin, green shards or even xp, but everyone has one common goal...

make door to the Cove open faster.

This might help in the trade-in box if added...

10 map pieces = random coin [same as single turn-in just x10]

10 map pieces = 3 green shards

10 map pieces = 25 xp

This would not be too overwhelming since map pieces are not a guaranteed drop per kill and it would allow people to choose their own reward and possibly create incentive to gather map pieces.
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Pity can't use gold doubloons to help speed up the turn-in process. (or at least let gold doubloons be converted to silver doubloons).
    Due to the login problems, will CC be extended? Not sure as getting close to the expansion.
    But reducing the map count is a simple short-term fix. Doubling the chance of getting map pieces on the island would be a potentially better solution?
    And yes, the number of people standing on the ship is large. I'm guessing most people are doing something else and just checking when CC is almost opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    The Cove would open a lot faster, and less people would be bored, if more people were out farming Map Pieces to help open the Cove faster, instead of piking by the door waiting for other people to do all the work.
    I think it would be a good idea if the Devs would consider coding the turn-in so that not only does there have to be a total number of map pieces to open the Cove, but also each character should have a personal quota that they need to turn in, in order to gain access. It wouldn't have to be all that high, with the number of people participating in the event. But at least it'd get those lazy pikers off their butts and make them contribute something.

...And yes, I quoted myself. Because my quotes are just that awesome.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by DunkleNymphe View Post
    Actually doubly excellent:
    There has been an influx of new players to Wayfinder lately who of course all get the message about the CC event when they log on. I suppose a lot of new players may find their characters stuck there now. Chances are that'll be the last time they log into DDO at all.
    That reminds me of Lemmings...

Carry on.
    ~ Gaeryus (Sor9/Wiz7/Fvs4) Firebrand ~ ~ Phlegma (12Fgt/6Rog/2Pal)(L13)(eTR2) van Moyst ~
    ~ Hakashe (Pal14/Monk6)(L3)Nurigatu ~ ~ Koergan (Cle17/Brb2/Fgt1)Flamebeard ~
    Ex-Captain of the Flying Funk ~ ~ Ascent ~ ~ Epic Farming Videos ~ ~ New and Exciting Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by RyonsAlt View Post
    Well, part of the issue is a bunch of people are having problems logging on.
    That's ONE part of the Issue!

2. Crystal Cove being opened with NO Advertising whatsoever & NO Notice given that it was on it's way!

3. Late July/Early August - Many People on Summer Vacation!

4. +2 Loot Boost!

5. The Incredible decision to make Guest Passes FREE while Cove is Running!
    This one really takes the Cake as Once a Guest Pass is Running it will carry on running until You Log Out!

Yes I'm really going to use up my pass for Vale, GH, Sands etc. etc. etc. in Smuggler's Rest or Kobold Assault!

P.S. I'm VIP - I'm talking here about the people who actually NEED Guest Passes!

It seems that every single decision the Devs make at this moment in time is REACTIVE rather than PRO-ACTIVE!

They've clearly realized that DDO is Hemorrhaging Players at an alarming rate BUT they don't seem to be able to get Pro-Active about it and instead are making bad reactive choices!

I'm going to /Sign the Suggestion to remove the Map Turn-Ins entirely and replace them with a Simple Timer:
    Cove Opens for 20 Minutes Every Hour on the Hour!
    And with the Log In Issues currently I'm also going to suggest keeping Cove open at least until the 31st of August!

I will NOT Sign however any suggestion to add XP to Map Turn-Ins as this would just lead to Insane Farming!

Map Turn Ins should Instead be given a higher rate of Silver as opposed to Copper and Gold - Silver is by far the worst Doubloon to collect in my Experience with Cove!

Community Member

Why would it matter if there were alternative, indirect sources, of green dragon shards?
    I agree that this wouldn't discourage people from running the Cove itself unless the amount given was large. But the idea still rubs me the wrong way. Guiding the little dufuses should be the only way to get the dragonshards, IMO.

I do think providing a small amount of XP would be a good idea.. say 1 XP per level per piece. It's small enough that nobody is going to grind just for that, but it gives people a reason to turn in the maps.

Lastly, grog makes Turbine money.
    Well, not from very clever people.. you can get grog for doubloons in the chest, and anyone who runs CC regularly has more gems than they know what to do with, and thus more doubloons than they know what to do with.

And I also agree that the "Boing! CC is open!" surprise way they did this was a bad idea.

But the real core cause of the slow CC is that there's no new gear. That's what it boils down to. If there were level 24 versions of the items, you'd see the Cove opening a lot more quickly, regardless of all other factors.

Oh and One Last thing:

Crystal Cove {and many of the Challenges brought out since} is the OPPOSITE of what the Devs Promised!

It is NOT in any Way - Soloable!

+

I've yet to see either of the final two Stars:

Kill 200 Monsters - ROFL there's barely 120 in the instance!
    or
    Have Kobolds teleport 150 times - Lol - Best I've seen is around 30 Left!

Completed!

Why add these in when they're quite obviously not possible?

Now I will admit that I've not run Epic Cove!
    The Characters I've run Cove on over the last 2-3 years have been from Lvl 4-16
    I've run Cove up to Lvl 17/18 Difficulty!

I can and do Torch these days when necessary though I much prefer someone else to be the Torcher as my characters are usually better suited to either being Scouts or Guards!
    AND My Inventories are always rammed!

However - Two out of Five Stars should NOT ONLY BE POSSIBLE if running Highest Possible Difficulty!

The one thing I dislike most about the challenges {and btw I'm a huge fan of Crystal Cove itself} is the Elite Only Mentality!
    i.e.
    A group of Lvl 4s running Lvl 4 Cove = A group of Lvl 4s running Proof is in the Poison on Elite!
    A group of Lvl 16s running Lvl 16 Cove = A group of Lvl 16s running Running with the Devils or Servants of the Overlord on Elite!
    YET
    If you drop down just ONE Difficulty Level there's MASSIVE Penalties!
    AND IN FACT
    You're heavily incentivised to crank the Difficulty Level UP Instead!

Where's the Normal or even Hard Difficulties?

Where's the Solo {or even Duo} ability?

Oh and exactly where is the Incentive to 5 Star Cove?
    Surely those Stars SHOULD Equal 5 Favour for House Cannith!

Community Member

CC can be soloed, I know people who have done it. The right build really helps. I don't because I just find all the running around stressful, and I am not on a char that is optimized for this at all.

The teleporter optional is doable, I've been in several runs where it was accomplished. Need a good torcher. You can make it easier by using fewer barrels and putting in a worker requisition.

The monster killing one, I've never seen done or even close to being done. I have no idea if the devs ever tested this, but I talked with folks who said even when they were specifically going for that star to the exclusion of other goals, they couldn't get it.

The rewards mechanism is also really messed up. Routinely I'd be in a group where the instance was two levels above anyone in the group, and we either got no bonus or even a penalty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast