Thread: stereotypes

Default stereotypes

Do the Irish make the best bards.

Damn them, have me believing I can do anything!

Thoughts? What ethnicity is best for each class.

Please no one get ass-sore.
    Don't be mean to me or my guild leader will kick your ^*&
    13th Circle, been saving your raids since '06

My cube senses are tingling already...
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Quote Originally Posted by Laggin View Post

I don't think any really, I thought of celtic bards......then I thought of all the other musical and cultural heritages and traditions around the world and im kind of stumped....nordic skalds and others. I think the original D&D bard was based of the celtic bards, same with the druids.

D&D monks seem more based on the eastern religious monks, india, china, japan and throughout asia, especially the shaolin temple monks in china.

Don't forget we have different races to consider as well as human ethnic groups.

This thread might well likely end in grief but I will give it a shot.

I think Polynesians will make good warrior classes, they generally are big/strong/sturdy high bone density. For a small population world wide they do very well in contact sports, rugby league, rugby union, American gridiron/football, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, MMA. So fighter, Barbarian, monk, paladins, tempest ranger seem a good fit. They generally are very religious so cleric/favoured soul. Very musical, most can play a musical instrument or sing, so bard might also be a good fit. Druid maybe because they had ancient customs and traditions relating to natural resource use, putting kapu/tapu on different resources to let them regenerate, and priests/adepts who where in charge of these things or had major influence (but also made some major ecological disasters like rapanui, moa in aoetearoa). As for arcane maybe bard/sorc over wizard and arti, have no written native language and although had very sophisticated stone age tools and technology, (built seafaring vessels to cross most of the biggest ocean in the world with stone age tech). Their melanesian brothers will prob be very similar but maybe with more spirit shamans, yes I know a class that doesn't exist in DDO yet.

Anyway I also think the mongols and welsh/english would/will make great bow archers, as they are two ethnic groups who might have the most famous military successes with bow archery. The english then adopting the welsh longbow and having great successes with it in the 100 years war with france, welsh archers where in those armies with the english archers as well.

Well I personally don't think there is a *best* ethnic group for any class, I think every ethnic group has aspects that will make it great for most of the classes. Very *politically* correct I know but its what I actually think.

Thats my 2cp before this thread most likely attracts the attentions of the cube.

2014 DDO Players Council

Irish do have some historic ties with bards, but no more so than, say, the Scottish or the Welsh.

And, nothing against the Irish, but there's only one "The Bard", and he's not Irish.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    LOL! Well played.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Dunno about classes, but us Scottish make the best dwarves.

Not just for our rough as the mountain accent, fiery temper and single minded determination.

There's also the red hair and the drinking of course

Berserkers maybe. If you're not convinced, I'll take you on a tour of Glasgow on a Friday night

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Irish do have some historic ties with bards, but no more so than, say, the Scottish or the Welsh.

And, nothing against the Irish, but there's only one "The Bard", and he's not Irish.
    You're right that there's only one Bard. And as good as Shakespeare was, he's not The Bard.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Dunno about classes, but us Scottish make the best dwarves.
    Your dwarf looks a bit petite, I would almost say it's a halfling if I didn't know better.

Also, from someone's bio : Suitable classes for wimin folks are cleric and bard.

Shahang (fvs caster), Bellezza (assassin), Wipekin (monkcher), Farida (air savant), Nezhat (melee) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

Yes, us Irish do make the best bards. We make pretty good druids too :P

/wavefromireland

Aes.

Community Member

Fflewdur Fflam

/dropmike

When the Celts faced the Romans, many Celts went into battle naked and showing a contempt for their lives. Roman scholars would describe a Celtic warrior getting a disfiguring injury that would incapacitate anyone else, turning around, and seemingly going into a rage as they ignored their injuries to beat the **** out if the guy who just injured him.

Conclusion: The Celts were barbarians.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

IDK about race, but politicians make the best quest givers.

they can't do anything themselves, make other people do all the dirty work, and will often be working against you. :P
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Default Obligatory

Would that make Juggernauts & Shiradi Sorcs Asian?

Because you know-

Skill Level: Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbynature View Post
    When the Celts faced the Romans, many Celts went into battle naked and showing a contempt for their lives. Roman scholars would describe a Celtic warrior getting a disfiguring injury that would incapacitate anyone else, turning around, and seemingly going into a rage as they ignored their injuries to beat the **** out if the guy who just injured him.

Conclusion: The Celts were barbarians.
    The Celts were Barbarians, the word barbarian was a Roman insult to non-roman's because the germanic languages sounded like the bleating of sheep to them which they pronounced as bar-bar instead of the modern bah-bah. The name Barbara is also from this root and was an insult for a non-roman woman.

Quote Originally Posted by kierg10 View Post
    IDK about race, but politicians make the best quest givers.

they can't do anything themselves, make other people do all the dirty work, and will often be working against you. :P
    /thread
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The Celts were Barbarians, the word barbarian was a Roman insult to non-roman's because the germanic languages sounded like the bleating of sheep to them which they pronounced as bar-bar instead of the modern bah-bah. The name Barbara is also from this root and was an insult for a non-roman woman.
    It was a borrow word from the Greek "barbaros" actually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarian#Etymology