Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Angry Mystery ITEMS that you pay for! The new wave to play the game

What a horrible idea, and what a way to get rid of your customers turbine!

Listen up everyone, if this continues this will be the model for the future for this game. i'm sure we will see in the future for both pet & ITEMS alike...*sigh*

I can't tell you how much this "Mystery Basket" upsets me. now, i'm going to talk a little about pets & the "Mystery Box" because I'm an individual that collects the pet companions. As a collector I have yet to get all 6 even with spending over 4k TP. Now, you why does this concern you? Because this is just the beginning, unless turbine stops this nonsense now.

What they have done with the "Mystery Box" is provide 1 of 6 random items(pets), and with different rarities at the same cost as having you choose what you want or pay more for a purchased bundle. Now, to also show some of the past prices i want to look at pet pricing... for example cheapest pet is 195 TP, the most (except special ones part of expansions etc.) is the beholderlings at 495 TP, the nice "Mystery Box" is 395. Its fine if you only want 1 of the 6, but if your a collector which many people are it causes a problem. Now, think of this like your equipment (which more and more are becoming BTC). If you wanted a particular item/pet not a common one, you'll be buying items to put up on the AH or shard exchange because there is no use having multiples of this pet/item. This actually becomes a huge money sink with no guarantees for anyone that wants a set.

So far i'm only understanding Turbines logic as "Well, just by it from the AH"... the thing is, there not all the same chances for getting them so you can expect the rare ones not to be there. Yet alone, someone has to buy it do you really think the Rare ones will ever be on the AH? if you don't believe me have fun with this new pet mystery box they have. So here is a way to support people that don't want to drop a dime on the game so you can spend your money for items to put on the AH because you can't use them. Not like you really have a choice to buy what you really wanted anyways.

I worry that turbine will not respond favorably to the user base that is actually spending money on the game but rather to expect them to justify it and tell us that this is what everyone wants. How about this for a thought, just increase the flat fee for NEW VIPs and stop trying to soak us for more money with your different schemes.

I am a pet collector, and this is the first time I will not spend money to get the new pets. Not having a "full collection" anymore will greatly weight on my future decisions to buy new pet packs.

I'll try to find the six of them on the AH/ASAH, but definitelly I will not spend TP buying a basket.

EDIT: Ok, I might buy ONE basket, since Quartermaster X said they are all new pets. This way I guarantee one.
    Last edited by nibel; 08-02-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

What did you expect when Warner put Zynga execs in charge of Turbine?

Additionally, I have really bad luck and would never spend TP or Shards on anything random.

Quote Originally Posted by sloppydragon View Post

Additionally, I have really bad luck and would never spend TP or Shards on anything random.
    Considering I currently sit at 73.4% rolling platinum on the free silver roll (just about exactly opposite of the stated odds) well let's just say there is no bloody way I pay money for something that awards a "random" reward. Especially from this company.

the thing is, the rare pets will not show up on the AH/ASE because there to rare, if they do, the 1st person to see it will buy it. there is alot of collectors like me out there, and that is what i would do. But, we can be sure that any collector that thinks diffrent, might give it a few shots but the AH will be loaded with junk pets that no one will want.

So, again turbine just makes people that would otherwise spend money mad & leave.

Community Member

"Mystery ITEMS that you pay for! The new wave to play the game"

That would explain the upcoming Shadowfell expansion. Turbine waited about a week or two after selling the expansion before giving details on the number of quests and if there was or wasn't a raid included.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Considering I currently sit at 73.4% rolling platinum on the free silver roll (just about exactly opposite of the stated odds) well let's just say there is no bloody way I pay money for something that awards a "random" reward. Especially from this company.
    That could not have been said better SiliconScout, my thoughts exactly!

Lol thats just like me..................

I don't really like the pets, some good points is they provide some comic relief, people like you op enjoy them and collect, and it one thing that keeps you interested in the game and even spending TP.

But this random system for buying a bundle for real money has to go...........its sort of like those silly boxes that was in NWN, buy a key to unlock.......and theres boxes that drop everywhere and most people spend way more on keys than if they just straight up bought the silly item. This game does not need silly trash mechanics like that polluting it.

All this vast and mysterious encouraging people to pay for stuff that they really have no idea what it will contain...........meh

While I agree it would be sad if DDO followed other companies example by adding in lootable "mystery chests" you can only open with a store bought key, I'm not sure this store bought cosmetipet Mystery Basket falls into the same category.

Op, you've bought at least 11 (spent over 4k TP @ 395 each) of the baskets & not received all 6, mind if I ask how many you have received? It's not important, I'm just curious. At any rate, if they're AHable, surely then they're also tradable and you obviously have multiples of some. Can't you get together with the other pokem- *ahem* cosmetipet collectors and work out some trades?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Default Very frustrating

I also collect the pets...they have become quite an obsession, and like the OP, I have sunk over 4K TP into the baskets and I am still 2 short of the set....And I CANNOT afford any more. I normally limit myself to 1850 TP a month + my 500 VIP points. I have been advertising for trades in game and here on the forum.

As frustrated as I am though, I was aware that it was a gamble... Live and learn, maybe. The experience has left me questioning whether I continue collecting pets. lacking a white wolf in my collection was eating away at me, but having any more unfillable gaps....Well, I am not sure how I will feel about that, but it won't be great.

OP: Sorry, but imho anyone who spends real money (or TP in a DDO case...which equates to real money if you bought the points) an anything random, with the expectation that they will get what they want out of it, is simply a fool. Never spend a dime, or one Turbine Point, in the DDO Store (or anywhere else on Earth) without knowing EXACTLY what you're getting in return. IF you want those pets, fine. But buy them individually...buy the ones YOU want.

...Somehow, the fact that you keep that accurate of a tally of a free Daily Dice roll....in a game...ah well nvm. Each to their own I guess.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    While I agree it would be sad if DDO followed other companies example by adding in lootable "mystery chests" you can only open with a store bought key, I'm not sure this store bought cosmetipet Mystery Basket falls into the same category.

Op, you've bought at least 11 (spent over 4k TP @ 395 each) of the baskets & not received all 6, mind if I ask how many you have received? It's not important, I'm just curious. At any rate, if they're AHable, surely then they're also tradable and you obviously have multiples of some. Can't you get together with the other pokem- *ahem* cosmetipet collectors and work out some trades?

When doing the random mystery box, its not an equal chance of getting one pet vs the next, its not a 16.6% chance for each they have there own rarity. So, trading is not an option because the other collectors want the same non-attainable one as well. As far as getting buying exactly what you want, I would love that option if it was available, but if they don't make it available you really don't have a choice except to feed the AH with junk the other collectors don't want.

I just can easily see this method happening to set items with armor/weapons/trinkets etc. that you might want to achieve...err... collect/use/wear
    Last edited by Astarii; 08-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    OP: Sorry, but imho anyone who spends real money (or TP in a DDO case...which equates to real money if you bought the points) an anything random, with the expectation that they will get what they want out of it, is simply a fool. Never spend a dime, or one Turbine Point, in the DDO Store (or anywhere else on Earth) without knowing EXACTLY what you're getting in return. IF you want those pets, fine. But buy them individually...buy the ones YOU want.

Yeah I sort of agree with this..............I don't think making this thread is going to have much impact OP....... what you should of done and the people in your situation should of done is..........not buy the random baskets. That's the only message they will understand.........you buy the baskets *then* complain afterwards while they are laughing all the way to the bank......if you didn't buy the baskets then complain, they might be more inclined to listen. I do sympathize with you, but it kinda seems like the reality when dealing with a lot of companies.

Community Member

atleat they are all new and aside from the psudodragon whose to say the remaining 5 dont have similiar odds.

though I do hate random box items. Perfect world has something like that almost every month, except they have 1000s's of possible items, wiht less then a 3% to get anything decent and less then 1% to get what you actually would want, so they are far worse. but I have to agree that turbine is heading down a bad road if it starts releasing more stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Yeah I sort of agree with this..............I don't think making this thread is going to have much impact OP....... what you should of done and the people in your situation should of done is..........not buy the random baskets. That's the only message they will understand.........you buy the baskets *then* complain afterwards while they are laughing all the way to the bank......if you didn't buy the baskets then complain, they might be more inclined to listen. I do sympathize with you, but it kinda seems like the reality when dealing with a lot of companies.
    I agree, in hindsight i should have not purchased anything. Ultimately, individuals like myself will purchasing random items will be the downfall of this game. To the thought of IF turbine is going down that path, its not an IF. ... but rather they are... Unfortunately as well they tend to believe that there users want such a thing.

Anyone have any ideas of how to let turbine know that we don't want this? ... *sigh* ... i'm just at a loss.

Don't buy.

If something don't sell, they stop making more of it. Case in point: Shield skins.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Astarii View Post
    I agree, in hindsight i should have not purchased anything. Ultimately, individuals like myself will purchasing random items will be the downfall of this game. To the thought of IF turbine is going down that path, its not an IF. ... but rather they are... Unfortunately as well they tend to believe that there users want such a thing.

Anyone have any ideas of how to let turbine know that we don't want this? ... *sigh* ... i'm just at a loss.
    Lol, it's too late. As you pointed out at the start of the ^above^ quoted post, you show them it's not wanted by not purchasing. However, as you and many others have already purchased, you've already cast your vote: you approve & want more.

Now, in the future when they offer the next round of "Mystery Goodie" you can recast your vote by not purchasing, but if the next round contains more pets you'll have to overcome the "gotta' catch 'em all!" compulsion. Unfortunately, if enough people purchase these items inspite of your request to the contrary, well... you're out voted then
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

This thread should be filed under the same one as the lottery discussion. It seems they have very similar arguments for randomness, paying money for randomness and what people feel entitled to for paying for randomness.

Quote Originally Posted by sloppydragon View Post

I normally wouldn't waste my time responding to such nonsense, but I felt it was important to set the record straight: This is utterly and completely not true. Besides the fact that the executives at Turbine have been here for quite some time, no one from the company you mention is in a position that would set revenue policy as is inferred in your post. Not that there's anything wrong with the company you mention, just saying that your statement is utterly false.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I normally wouldn't waste my time responding to such nonsense, but I felt it was important to set the record straight: This is utterly and completely not true. Besides the fact that the executives at Turbine have been here for quite some time, no one from the company you mention is in a position that would set revenue policy as is inferred in your post. Not that there's anything wrong with the company you mention, just saying that your statement is utterly false.
    There is a lot wrong with Zygna, to believe otherwise is nonsense.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast