Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Considering what you describe is entirely voluntary and you don't ever have to open a box full of cosmetic items, I don't see the problem with it at all.
    Wait . .. this is just for cosmetic junk?

Bah, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Where do you draw the line on the "it makes money, so its ok" justification?
    Non-cosmetic stuff that can't be found anywhere else.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

nm

Community Member

Impulse addiction based marketing. Part of the new monetization model in MMOs is having containers drop as loot that you need a store bought key to open. The boxes contain one item on the list, which is compiled of one or two really nice items, and a bunch of garbage. The only way to get the one or two nice items is from these boxes. People mostly get the garbage when they open the boxes, so they have to open more than a few of them to get one of the nice items.

Where do you draw the line on the "it makes money, so its ok" justification?
    My guess is the companies aren't really drawing the line anywhere, or at least erasing it and redrawing it constantly, and why would they? Once they've got a model for doing so, "tiny graphical tweaks" on existing 3D models, and a replicable manner for deploying them digitally blind boxed in a digital store, they'd naturally do it over and over again, since the product costs involved are infestesimally small and if it doesn't sell, so what, they've hardly invested any capital into it. It doesn't have to be a gold mine, because they don't need to invest much of anything to even "mine" that portion of the customer base.

My suspicision is these types of products offerings will continue until eventually some enterprising lawyers and pols will get involved here:

(http://seekingalpha.com/article/6117...ndscape-part-1

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...mo-cash-shops/

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updat...3#.UgD9WZJwom-

OFT investigates free children's web and app-based games

Article Image
    33/13 12 April 2013

The OFT has launched an investigation into whether children are being unfairly pressured or encouraged to pay for additional content in 'free' web and app-based games, including upgraded membership or virtual currency such as coins, gems or fruit. Typically, players can access only portions of these games for free, with new levels or features, such as faster game play, costing money.

As part of the investigation, the OFT has written to companies offering free web or app-based games, seeking information on in-game marketing to children. The OFT is also asking for parents and consumer groups to contact it with information about potentially misleading or commercially aggressive practices they are aware of in relation to these games.

The OFT investigation is exploring whether these games are misleading, commercially aggressive or otherwise unfair. In particular, the OFT is looking into whether these games include 'direct exhortations' to children - a strong encouragement to make a purchase, or to do something that will necessitate making a purchase, or to persuade their parents or other adults to make a purchase for them. This is unlawful under the Consumer Protection (from Unfair Trading) Regulations 2008.

As part of the investigation, the OFT will also consider whether the full cost of some of these games is made clear when they are downloaded or accessed, potentially leading to children and parents to make decisions they may not have made if prices were more transparently advertised at the start of the purchasing process.

Cavendish Elithorn, OFT Senior Director for Goods and Consumer, said:

'We are concerned that children and their parents could be subject to unfair pressure to purchase when they are playing games they thought were free, but which can actually run up substantial costs.

'The OFT is not seeking to ban in-game purchases, but the games industry must ensure it is complying with the relevant regulations so that children are protected. We are speaking to the industry and will take enforcement action if necessary.'
    Eventually the law will catch up with MMOs, it's just going to take awhile. What happens as a result, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Considering what you describe is entirely voluntary and you don't ever have to open a box full of cosmetic items, I don't see the problem with it at all.
    I have seen many posts by many people on these forums over the years who would like to see dev time put to use fixing bugs and making new content before implementing these "completely voluntary" game mechanics.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Non-cosmetic stuff that can't be found anywhere else.
    So like raid timer bypass and tomes of fate. They already got that party started.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sloppydragon View Post
    What did you expect when Warner put Zynga execs in charge of Turbine?
    My first thought as well.

My second thought was that if the thing you're buying has no bearing on the gameplay, why does anyone care that it's random?

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

My 0.02

I love the pets, I really do. But...
    I have 14 character slots. For me, that means I have room for 14 animals.
    Between buying the 2 expansions, inviting some friends to check out the game, and spending about 1 million plat, I already have 15, including a pseudodragon and a tressym. Gues how many of these mystery boxes I'm going to buy :P

The collectors bug tried to bite me with the kobolds (I have all 3), but then they came out with the cranium rats which I considder *really* ugly, and that was the cure for me

To the OP: I'm currently working to collect 4 million plat so that next time somebody offers a +4 Int tome on the trade channel I won't have to just sit there and drool. If you care this much about having all pets in the game, why not do the same? I'm pretty sure you'll have your dragon LONG before I have my tome :P

Greetz,
    Red Orm

So like raid timer bypass and tomes of fate. They already got that party started.
    Yep, I hate the raid timer bypass. I never buyed one (by TP or plat), and never will out of principle.

Tomes of Fate are a bit more dubious, since you can earn 18 Fate Points farming EDs, and that is enough to buy 4/2/1 twists. 19 FP allow you to get 4/3/0, but we have reports of +1 fate tomes dropping on chests. 20 Fate points give you nothing.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

its nice to know that the dragon has not even come up to AH or the shard exchange (canith server) since this thread has been started...just more cats. *sigh*

Community Member

Default it does not yet affect

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Please tell me where you are getting your numbers from. I cannot find any documentation that supports these figures. Where does it say what the drop probabilities are?
    It says so in the store, I checked so last night. So everyone knows what the odds are.
    I dont quite understand the outrage of some people.

Buying a random basket of things means exactly that: the contents are random. You don't know what you get until you open it. That's the POINT of it being random. It's as much a gamble as the Silver/Gold rolls.

Is it done with the intention to abuse people's weakness for gambling? Of course it is.
    But isn't it still everyone's personal decision to gamble? Yes it is.

If you want a guarantee of what you get with a purchase, the only answers is not to gamble on random packages.
    Noone is forcing you to. If you find yourself in a position where you just cannot resist buying random stuff, it should be a good idiea to start buffing your RL will saves.

As long as Turbine only sells "flavor" things this way, I don't see a problem with the game.
    But one has to wonder how long it will take till gameplay-changing items will be put in random packages and increasing a character's power will simply be a matter of how much money is used to roll/purchase again and again. DDO will go the P2W route.

On the other hand, even that is unlikely to affect me anytime soon.

Why not? Because DDO is not a competitive game. There is no PVP. If, say, a partymember, spends lot of money to get the best items to have an easier time running quests, who am I to complain if that helps the whole time?

It -will- become a problem, when future quests are -designed- in a way that you only have a chance completing them with storebought items. But we're not there yet. It'll still be another half dozen updates...

As far as the dragon appearing in Canniths AH or the shard exchange its still not there... however, one can still get the cats.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Astarii View Post
    its nice to know that the dragon has not even come up to AH or the shard exchange (canith server) since this thread has been started...just more cats. *sigh*
    I have seen the dragon on the ah on Sarlona. But I like the free one I got with the xpack fine, so didn't buy it. I do admit to having a serious weakness for the kitties so was happy to get a few with the boxes I bought.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by DunkleNymphe View Post

Is it done with the intention to abuse people's weakness for gambling? Of course it is.
    But isn't it still everyone's personal decision to gamble? Yes it is.

If you want a guarantee of what you get with a purchase, the only answers is not to gamble on random packages.
    Same as every collectable card game out there. MTGO has been doing this for over a decade. Heck trade card companies have been doing this since the 1860s!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345