Community Member

Default Am I loosing a lot if I can't unlock doors/chest?

Hi am I missing a lot if I cannot open doors or chests in quests? I would love to play a pure monk.

You can still unlock doors and chests as a pure monk. There is the DDO store to hire a rogue hireling or buy those master keys.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

And no.
    While opening locks may help in a couple places, it's literally just a handful of quests where doors help and handful of chests that drop notable loot. And for the places you need it, it should be easy enough to find a rogue or wizard with knock.

At least that's the situation now. With Turbine's trend of trying to get everyone to pay for everything TWICE, and how they're planning to push the new rogue-y iconic I wouldn't be surprised if half of the good chests in the next expansions required a Shadar-kai to use a DDOstore bought super master thief tools to even have a chance of unlocking. OTOH, the good loot would all be BTCoE so it'd be easy enough to get off the ASAH.

Community Member

I did not know about thoses master keys. This game looks quite good, but I have a lot too learn!

This game is meant to be played in parties.
    If you can't open a chest/door, someone else in your party will probably be able to. A lot of characters can't open them themselves.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

You aren't missing anything by not being open to open locks. Don't waste TP on bells of opening.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steeve2000 View Post
    I did not know about thoses master keys. This game looks quite good, but I have a lot too learn!
    One of the best action MMORPG out there honestly. The mix of complexity, creativity in character making, the fighting and content overall when you start playing is both overwhelming and awesome. Some people say it's dying but if you've played other games, you would know what a dying MMO is!

But yeah... I think it would be better if you didn't know about the bells . I don't see any cases where they would be really worth it. Maybe if the chests wouldn't drop random items...
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

If you're human or half-orc, you can take the Dragonmark of Finding.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragonmark_of_Finding

If you invest into UMD, you can use wands of Knock to unlock some doors/chests.

At levels 21 and higher, you can buy Rogue hirelings for platinum.

But generally, you're not losing much. So don't worry about it. At all.

Community Member

I have to agree with most of what has been said so far. The game is totally playable without the ability to unlock things. At most you miss out on random chests (which are nothing special and you will be getting tons of anyway) and occasionally some optional experience (which is also no big deal). By all means play your pure monk and enjoy him. If you ever really want to see what is behind a locked door you can always invite someone into your party to open it.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

No, you are not missing a lot, you are not missing a tiny bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    No, you are not missing a lot, you are not missing a tiny bit.
    Agree with the first part of this sentence but for a new player they are missing more than "a tiny bit" (not enough to justify using the DDO store though IMHO)

For a new player the additional chests may just drop some of the gear they want/need. The doors may lead to new area and optional XP. For a first timer I'd consider losing out on fully exploring a quest as missing more than "a tiny bit"

A player is only new once so look for groups running the quests you want. If there are none, place your own LFM stating something along the lines of "New player looking to explore". You may be surprised at the response.
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    If you invest into UMD, you can use wands of Knock to unlock some doors/chests.
    I invested in umd as a paladin and thought that was all I needed to unlock chests. I rolled no higher than like a 5. There must be a feat or something to boost those dcs because I could get to 100% on those wands.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeve2000 View Post
    Turbine hired a think tank for advancing the DDO store, since they have to earn money. As annoying as it is, the new trend is *pay-to-convience*, which means easying up general gameplay to skip some if not many objectives.

Unlocking doors is convinient when you are soloing a lot and want to farm certain chests, which otherwise were inaccessible. But it is not mandatory. At least at the moment.

There will be changes, which might make Open Lock more important on self sufficent toons, which up to now still rely on clickies and such.

Anyway I think it is a nice asset but in general not a must have, except you run quests alone. And since there is dungeon scaling it may not even bad to wait for an unlocker sometimes. 2 toons have no big effect.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

At no point in the game (that I can think of, anyway) do you NEED to open a locked door.

It will not prevent you completing any quest. All it does is open up optional side objectives, for extra XP/loot.

Also, I'm pretty sure 99% if not 100% of the locked chests/doors only contain random loot, not special named items.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    At no point in the game (that I can think of, anyway) do you NEED to open a locked door.

It will not prevent you completing any quest. All it does is open up optional side objectives, for extra XP/loot.

Also, I'm pretty sure 99% if not 100% of the locked chests/doors only contain random loot, not special named items.
    Eyes of Stone locked chest behind secret doors can drop named armor.

Servants of the Overlord locked chest by first shrine can drop named bow and I think something else.

Those are just 2 off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Some of the named items in Xorian Cipher, while technically not in locked chests themselves, do require unlocking other chests which contain the keys needed to open the doors to access the chests...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    Some of the named items in Xorian Cipher, while technically not in locked chests themselves, do require unlocking other chests which contain the keys needed to open the doors to access the chests...
    Are the Scorrow chests locked? Eh, the Planar Gird one isn't, and that's the only loot you'd be interested in anyway. Plus, that one's ostensibly a party-only quest (though it can be soloed), so I feel that's a slightly different standard

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Eyes of Stone locked chest behind secret doors can drop named armor.

Servants of the Overlord locked chest by first shrine can drop named bow and I think something else.

Those are just 2 off the top of my head.
    Eh, yeah, Gorgon Docent is good - I guess that's the 1% then