Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Fix the hirelings!!!!!!

I've said it before, I'm going to say it again:

FIX THE HIRELINGS OR GET RID OF THEM!

Seriously! Somewhere along the way, you broke the hirelings. Fix them. Leaving them in this state doesn't make teh development team look very good.

i hear ya.. so SO many stories about those retards... they must be fixed indeed.

i cant forget a time i was disabling a spike trap in Monastery.. hire was set to just stand there and do nothing. While i was disabling he decided that the most sane act he could do was to run in the spike trap, that was ahead of me, there were no enemies that way, he just run in trap and stayed there untill he died.. like the trap lured him in orso... does it count for ragequit when u solo?!
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    i hear ya.. so SO many stories about those retards... they must be fixed indeed.

i cant forget a time i was disabling a spike trap in Monastery.. hire was set to just stand there and do nothing. While i was disabling he decided that the most sane act he could do was to run in the spike trap, that was ahead of me, there were no enemies that way, he just run in trap and stayed there untill he died.. like the trap lured him in orso... does it count for ragequit when u solo?!
    i'm sure it was a tough decision between that and running off 2 rooms away and aggroing a half dozen mobs and dragging them back to you.

But only because there was no lava to stand in.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    I've said it before, I'm going to say it again:

FIX THE HIRELINGS OR GET RID OF THEM!

Seriously! Somewhere along the way, you broke the hirelings. Fix them. Leaving them in this state doesn't make teh development team look very good.
    while I use them regualrly and don't pug, they are a poor replacement for real players to group with (when I particiapte in a guild run). Sure they have screwy AI at times, but if they were to make them just as good if not better than other players I think that would almost kill grouping altogether. At that point might as well make DDO a standalone single player game.

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    while I use them regualrly and don't pug, they are a poor replacement for real players to group with (when I particiapte in a guild run). Sure they have screwy AI at times, but if they were to make them just as good if not better than other players I think that would almost kill grouping altogether. At that point might as well make DDO a standalone single player game.
    Screwy AI is one thing. I can understand that as AI is not a simple thing to code. I forgive any hireling issues regarding AI and just do the best I can with it. This particular issue is completely different. It's essentially an off switch. You tell the hireling to stand there. It really should be the simplest thing to do. Turn off all ability to move and act. When a hireling is in "don't do anything!" mode and does something, that is something I just can't understand. Like turning off a light switch and it stays on. That's just not right.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Screwy AI is one thing. I can understand that as AI is not a simple thing to code. I forgive any hireling issues regarding AI and just do the best I can with it. This particular issue is completely different. It's essentially an off switch. You tell the hireling to stand there. It really should be the simplest thing to do. Turn off all ability to move and act. When a hireling is in "don't do anything!" mode and does something, that is something I just can't understand. Like turning off a light switch and it stays on. That's just not right.
    Actually, there should be a simple flag for obvious and sprung traps and pain causing issues like pools of lava. Ouch=move out of the way. Keep moving until ouch stops. At least they wouldn't stand there in the trap or pool of lava with that dumb look on their face while saying things like "I can't take much more of this!"

Hirelings are intentionally coded to **** you off.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post

/signed I'm all for it let's do it let's do it NAOW!!! Get to da choppa!!!! NAOW!!!
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

hirelings are fine if you know how they work and if you manage them carefully. switching between active/passive and back again "resets" them in case they are confused. learn to do this often (e.g., before each encounter) and you'll have a lot less problems.

yeah they really need some time spent on them. The epic ones are a really bad joke. Heck lastnight for some reason I had a level 22 Barbarian hireling so i decided to use him. Turns out he is immune to all heal and repair spells so he just melts down. You can tell the devs just gave up starting at level 20 the caster hirelings don't even have weapons. They blow through their spell points in the first couple fights then just stand at the edge of the fight and punch and kick (kinda makes me think of PaRappa the Rapper).

lol My favorite one is when your divine hireling just stands there shouting...I need healing...NOW!!

Its kind of hilarious until the time when it dies and causes you to loose 5% xp. IMO, there should be a 'superb hire management bonus' at the end of a quest if you solo with a hireling and manage it well enough to keep it alive all throughout the quest. Managing them is almost like a quest objective lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEmperorDragon View Post
    Hirelings are intentionally coded to **** you off.
    This

Smile

I use hires all the time, some are way better than others, some can be good with careful handling but Epic Hires are worse than useless....warforged you cannot heal etc I fail to see the point of something that is supposed to help that even with mad healing skills you cannot keep alive! However as has been said many times Larafay(lvl 15 FVS) rocks...if you control her use of SP she's a one-woman killing machine that heals....more like her would be great....pretty please!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    I use hires all the time, some are way better than others, some can be good with careful handling but Epic Hires are worse than useless....warforged you cannot heal etc I fail to see the point of something that is supposed to help that even with mad healing skills you cannot keep alive! However as has been said many times Larafay(lvl 15 FVS) rocks...if you control her use of SP she's a one-woman killing machine that heals....more like her would be great....pretty please!
    But Larafay kinda makes some of the player divines look noob.

j/k
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post

j/k
    Mine included!! Unfortunately! Also you KNOW your kinda noob when you learn about gameplay, spell effects and so on.....FROM your Hire....Sad but true!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    hirelings are fine if you know how they work and if you manage them carefully. switching between active/passive and back again "resets" them in case they are confused. learn to do this often (e.g., before each encounter) and you'll have a lot less problems.
    What he wrote.
    If you want hire to stand put him to stand and put him on passive, he wont go anywhere.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post

j/k
    Haha Larafay: "I need healing!" Sure, let me spam some more cometfall till i've got no SP left and I watch you die. Oh yeah, he's the best. At least he knocks stuff down.

I also agree with the ones that say that hireling are fine if you manage them carefully and understand their limits. They're a bonus after all... and a cheap one. Park them and use them as emergency rez, that will always work.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    Haha Larafay: "I need healing!" Sure, let me spam some more cometfall till i've got no SP left and I watch you die. Oh yeah, he's the best. At least he knocks stuff down.

I also agree with the ones that say that hireling are fine if you manage them carefully and understand their limits. They're a bonus after all... and a cheap one. Park them and use them as emergency rez, that will always work.
    She, not he.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    What he wrote.
    If you want hire to stand put him to stand and put him on passive, he wont go anywhere.
    Just dont forget they are in passive when you want them to act on their own.

"HJEAL MEH!! HJEAL MEH!! WHY YOU NOT HJEAL MEH!!" smashes keyboard buttons. Foaming at the mouth.

"DING!"

"I HATE THESE DUMB*** HIRES!!"

"Oops. I forgot to change the toggle. He he"

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    I will never use her again. I was soloing elite Mired with whatever the level 15 cleric hire is. When Momma dragon was at about half HP, my hire ran out of sp and I was playing as a monk so no Door. I kited the dragon around while buying Larafay from the store. Not easy to do. By the time the dragon had died, her sp was down to around 25 and had drank all her pots. She spent more time using comet fall than actually healing. I had to fight, using healing ki and drinking pots because she worried me too much. Came close to death several times. At least the cleric hire made it all the way through the quest up to Momma dragon only shrining once before entering end fight and again after baby dragon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast