Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Easy for an Arty

• Take down caster 1st.
    • Then Clerics
    • Then any melee left if the other 2 party members didn't already drop them.

Community Member

One tactic I would change. I would switch to fire savant at mid levels.

Assuming level 13 as "mid level"

Arcane - circle of death I have the spell pen

Divine - run past the group and drop blade barriers every cd

Melee - Stun / Trip a divine and kill it asap move from there to the other divine to the arcane while keeping your gs displacement clicky up and wear http://ddowiki.com/page/Cloak_of_Invisibility at that level to protect you from the melee's.

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    Ok, in an effort to hopefully give the developers some suggestions on how to improve the AI of this game, I am going to ask a question about a certain combat situation:

You are in a mid-level party of 3, yourself included. The people in the party are a cleric, a ranger and another class that you prefer to be. Suddenly, while you are exploring a flat, open dungeon space, 6 drow elves race towards you to attack! Three of the drow are melee types, two are clerics, and one is a wizard. They are a challenge to defeat, and require party coordination (While they are green named, they are all challenging opponents that can't be run through and easily defeated). What would you do from the beginning and the end in combat, and what would you expect your party members to do?
    I would:

1) First scream like a 5-year old little girl who sees one of those evil-looking clowns in a horror movie,
    2) Lose bladder control,
    3) spend six hours in a state of blissful denial,
    4) Call my therapist,
    5) Order a pizza (therapy is hungry work),
    6) Finally enter the quest.

I would expect my party members to carry me.

It’s a simple strategy, but it works for me.

Community Member

Default Bards love these scenarios :)

My meleetrapper bard....

Off the last shrine I would make sure everyone is Extend-hasted and -displaced. as well as having Song up. If I knew we were coming to a tough part, they'd also have Ironskin chant. If not, I'd whip my banjo out ASAP.

When the encounter hit first, I'd go with 2 options:

1) If we had a tank, I'd first rage him, then tab through the party and rage the appropriate members.

2) If we had none, I'd rage me, then wade in.

3) In either case, I'd storm in with Cleave, Great Cleave, going THROUGH the melees, murdering the clerics, and victimising the wizard, who by now would be feeling very lonely indeed.

4) Make mincemeat out of the useless melees - hopefully they'll be attacking me anyhow because of the Cleave and GC hits they took (assuming they're not dead) when I was on my way to show the Clerics how useless their so-called prayers are.

5) Cheer!

Aes

On a less sarcastic note:
    First, it depends on what you define as “mid-level.” I’ll assume lvl 11. If I am running a wizzy:
    1) Flesh-to-stone the wizzy. They usually have low Fort saves, and I usually build for Spell Pen.
    2) If you can’t overcome spell pen, drop an AoE on him like firewall or Ice Storm, and follow up with a ranged spell: necrotic ray if you are a PM or necro-specced. The funny part is, sometimes the casters stand there while taking damage, so they can cast spells.
    3) For Drow, Web is kinda your go-to spell at this level. You negate the SR problem, and trap them. Casters can’t cast while ensnared, and they work well in conjunction with AoEs and DoTs. First put them between you and the oncoming melee, then target each of the casters.
    4) Drop AoEs on trapped mobs, or use DoTs. My go-to is Niacs and Eldars. There is also Melfs, Burning Blood. A great AoE is Cloudkill as it does stat damage. Chain lightning is Ok, depending on whether you have to worry about their reflex saves or not (yes, they get reflex saves in webs…go figure). Use DoTs on clerics as this is a counter to their self-healing.
    5) Range the casters if you can.
    6) Range anything else.

You have two melees (technically). One should try and keep the casters busy, the other should keep the melees busy until CC kicks in. Then let the AoEs hammer the melees while DoTs and AoEs hammer the casters.

If I had a rogue, I’d sneak past everything, assassinate at least one of the casters (go maybe for the cleric first) then start backstabbing away at another caster. Use bluff when they start to engage. When I get in over my head, I break off combat, run away, then re-engage.

I’m a big believer that with rogues the “life to fight another day” principle should be applied. I mean, I’m sorry but why do you thing they call them “rogues”…?

If I had a melee, and no one is going after the casters, I head straight for them. If not, I try to aggro and beat up on oncoming melee. Usually, my pally tank if good at turtling-up and grabbing aggro for the few precious seconds at the beginning of a fight that allows my casters to get off spells. Then I engage.

I also forgot to mention that how I react in melee is never how it ends up coming out.

The end result is managed chaos. You may be alive, but it is a VERY ugly notch in the "win" column.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    Enter combat in stealth (if in a party).

When most mobs are aggroed on other people, Assassinate casters. If no casters, then archers. Casters and archers in all content have near 95% fail rate on saving.

If no archers, then melees.

Always go for a double Assassinate when possible. Depending on the mob, two dead melees might be better than one dead caster.

After that, just hack away, using Assassinate when possible. By the time I actually pull aggro they'll be mostly dead or Deception-locked anyway. I almost never take any damage.
    ^^ This
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    So let me get this right, I have a Cleric, a Ranger and Myself, against 3 melee, 2 clerics and a wizard?

Step 1: Note who in the Drow Part is who. Know who the clerics are, who the wizards are, who the melee are.

Step 2: Group Focus on the Clerics.

I would want the ranger to put a many shot into one cleric while I and the cleric in my group took down the other drow healer. The, while we have a standing healer, and they do not, the game quickly becomes an attrition match, we focus on the arcane next and then we give the melee's a easy beat down.

What I would expect to happen would be the ranger uses IPS rips into 2 of the melee and the arcane, the cleric charges in and casts a blade barrier, and tosses a implosion at the arcane, only to discover that the mobs, because they had half a brain buffed with death ward, and the Drow Arcane is a PM anyway and thus immune to death effects and spells, the Arcane now sucking damage, casts Necrotic Burst followed with a Death Aura. The cleric and the Ranger now are jumping around like sugar overloaded 3 year olds with ADD and thus start the kite dance while venting on voice chat that they hate mobs that have death ward and how the game cheats.

At this point the drow clerics have started to lay down some AOE heal spells to keep up against the damage, and started to bark orders at the Drow Fighter types swap out their melee weapons for ranged and start to put total concentrated effort into shooting the cleric.

The Arcane in the opposing group casts hold on our cleric, to which the cleric laughs because they had buffed themselves with FoM but no one else in the party, thankfully the ranger could self buff for that too, but I was out of luck, and needed to ponder if my monk was going to use mad-stones for this fight or use delving boots. The cleric however still gets stunned by the following electric loop, thankfully at that moment, the ranger and myself were not close enough to the cleric to also be drooling on ourselves. Our cleric then after resisting a fascinate, sucks down a meteor swarm to the face, and by now the drow fighter types have safely moved close enough to the cleric to swap to their melee weapons and proceed to lay into him with stunning blows making short work of him.

With our cleric dead, The drow divines proceed to lay a few BB's of their own around the ranger, to keep them from kiting and jumping all over the place, the Arcane lays a acid cloud to give an increased chance for their arrows to miss while hurting the ranger when they move. The drow fighter types swap back to their ranged weapons and start to shoot at the ranger while moving towards them to engage in melee so they can use their own special abilities in return. Myself and the ranger would of course jump back and away from this, perhaps even run to a more secure spot to fend them off.

As the Ranger and I are blitzing away from this fight, to find some doorway where we can take them down one at a time, The divines have started to lay some comet-falls into us, and the arcane tosses a few sound blasts in-between refreshing the haste for the group and refreshing their stone skin. All it took was one failed save and the ranger ends up on their back from the knock down effect but shrugs off two following slay living thanks to having the foresight to death ward themselves. But by this time the melee have finally caught-up them and the stunning blows start again, the ranger is a trooper and tries to get back up and fight back, but it was too much, by the time they could stand up and swap tot their dual LitII, they ate a maximized freezing sphere that landed a hefty crit and slumped over dead.

Panting behind a wall, now waiting for the drow to come close I call out "Hey is your guild recruiting?"
    +1 if I could.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    1) Flesh-to-stone the wizzy. They usually have low Fort saves, and I usually build for Spell Pen.
    Thanks for the laugh!

For me, it really depends on the position of the group like are they all close to each other or spreaded out but usually...

As a caster, Wiz or Sorc:

Jump + Right click --- Throw a web at a short distance from where they are atm so it hits most of them before they get to me or even better so the melees end up close to the casters if possible.
    Circle of Death the stacked crowd.

Alternative to no DC:

Maximized/Empowered aoe dot (acid rain maybe) once they stopped moving or if you can guess where the casters will stop, throw it while running + Maximized/Empowered aoe direct damage... Cya! Or since there's no archers type that can evade, 1 or 2 direct damage aoe would suffice.

Best would be to rush next to the casters while having the agro of the melees so they follow me. Then I could take them all out with any AoEs.

If a line of sight is possible and it feels like it's worth it to do so: go out of sight (corner of a wall for exemple), web the melees there until the casters come close and then AoE everything at once.

Agression + efficiency is key. The CCs are just useful if you have a free action before you start blasting with efficiency (several target with 1 spell) at mid level. That way you just don't burn your SP while killing fast.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 08-02-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12