Community Member

Default Harbor revamp - good start, but it needs a bit more

I took one of the oldest characters I have in ddo and took her to lamannia to see how she worked out.

So I thought I would have a look at the harbor while I am there with a low lvl character

The change means that you arrive at the lighthouse - with a lot of refuges standing around (this is begging for a new quest theme then?). Was the lighthouse quest so unpopular that it got dumped?

When you follow the long, long way to get to Baudry, you see that half of the harbor now makes more sense. You have the cerulean hills right next to you (instead of not even knowing of them until you hit lvl 3-4), you have Baudry giving you a quest, the new square with the trainers and the fact that the guys giving the ruby quest and stealthy repossession now stand close to the door to them makes it easier. Having the mailbox close by is good too.

That walk is too long though, it needs something to do - maybe having someone actually tell you something when you try to interact with them for starters, or maybe someone pointing you to others you can go to to find quests (the Korthos boat lady gives you the tip to look for Baudry) - you could have someone telling you to seek out guard crichton, or tell you to look for the harbor master Zin or say guard Jung to start another line of quests (maybe crichton/jung/Zin could also give you a quiver? not sure why we have to walk all over the harbor to buy one).

I also noticed that some of the texts from people like the town crier / Free Agent rep. is changed to give you better information on what you would need to do to get access.

It does beg the question what to do with the other side of the harbor, because that is where the bank and the guild access as well as the 2 shops is. And it will be hard to get people to even see there are quests in the other side of the harbor, maybe that will be reworked later?

Having seen the guide in the Stormhorn mountains, I think it would still be good to have someone like the chronicle newsboy to talk to and either give you something like an path pointing to a quest you want to go to, or give you the option to go directly to the quest for plat or even for AS.

I must say I like the change to the Baudry quest. Does anyone have a clue wheather how you answer the question about killing the kobolds in the end has influence in later quests or possibly on getting a saga advanced later?

Hm, ok so that were some of my thoughts on the harbor thing. It looks the good way to go but it needs a bit more to give new people coming off the boat a bit more of a clue what to do next. The walk from the lighthouse to Baudry, is too long, when there's nothing to do/look at all the way.

Default Explain guilds as well

I think it would also help if someone explained a bit about guilds
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarlona Server - Blime | Darkgeddy | Youburn | Northernboy | Lakeside | Toasthead

Leader of The Wulfepack - "If you call one wolf, you invite the Pack"
    Visit http://thewulfepack.webs.com/

nice feedback.

I too like the new harbor.

As far as guilds - its been on the list of things needed for the guild system for a spell.

Community Member

Default A bit on guilds for new players

Hm, yes. They could explain the LFM system (by adding a nice trainer like guy not unlike the one for the crafting hall) too, but given that its pretty tough to find a group there nowadays, esp. for inexperienced players, a bit on guilds would be very good too.

Maybe having some NPC tell you that if you don't want to feel alone, you can team up in a guild would be good. They could explain how you recognize when someone is in a guild, some advantages etc. And why not allow guilds to put up a "recruiting new members" tag on a panel along that horribly long walkway too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nascoe View Post
    Was the lighthouse quest so unpopular that it got dumped?
    It is now located where the Harbormaster's house was, near the portable-hole fixer.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Default Pre Mod 9 Free to Play Walkthrough Halls for new players in Korthos / harbor.

It would be nice if Turbine would re-install the Training halls like pre Mod 9 F2P launch.

It was before Korthos and could easily be adapted to todays Habor to help out there ease into the game.

Could be in Korthos Village or Harbor either way

EX : Spawn at Lighthouse have NPC granting you the Newcomer to Stormreach Quest / Intro.

Step into Stormreach Harbor Grand Hall and have diverse NPC to expain in detail things left really unspoken for unless personal research or questions are asked. (Guilds, Channels, Austion House, Saga's, Raids, Quest Difficulties, Bravery Bonuses, Reincarnations, Epic Destinies, Story Arcs.... ETC)

/advice channel is nice and all but most newcomers dont really know about it untl someone tells them it exists.

Would be nice to have vendors and AH and mailboxes in Korthos too so new players would be curious about what these things are

Making new players feel at home is key in retention. Some log on to distract themselves form RL and all this unexplained magic of Stormreach to most requiring homework and studying will not necessarily keep them around if it feels like work and not play.

Lets keep the nw players in the game and leave the grind and work for them once they are hooked.

keep it simple and easy to find for new guys and gals.

Laters

Quote Originally Posted by carpemontis View Post
    ...Would be nice to have vendors and AH and mailboxes in Korthos too so new players would be curious about what these things are
    yes, totally.
    i used to think about that a lot actually.
    everything should b out there, in smaller packages, per se.

could imagine it being quite cute too.
    active trade channel & everything.

/trade Wts +1 Masterwork Greataxe 50pp ~pst

JoeFighter: That is WAY overpriced! >:|
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    It is now located where the Harbormaster's house was, near the portable-hole fixer.
    Ah, that makes a lot more sense - to have the library nice and dry in the middle of the harbor - instead of putting it in the middle of the harbor basin! thanks for the update.

On live waiting in a looooooooooooooooooooooong loading screen (pvp lobster on Khyber) due to lag, trying to turn in my reward.

Still trying to enter the Lobster due to PVP lag, still in loading screen.

Do we really want PVP and associated lag in the harbor?

Perhaps PVP pit in the Lobster should be removed?

Perhaps PVP taverns should not also have quest givers?

Finally inside the tavern, but another party member crashed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Still trying to enter the Lobster due to PVP lag, still in loading screen.

Do we really want PVP and associated lag in the harbor?

Perhaps PVP pit in the Lobster should be removed?

Perhaps PVP taverns should not also have quest givers?
    At least that last part is (almost) fixed - just the guy for the second quest line focusing on Baudry is still in there, the rest of the guys headed outside on LAM (including Baudry himself)!

Thank goodness.