Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Have you tested DDO in this Dell Laptop?

Since I'll be in Illinois for six months, I'm about to buy a Dell laptop, mainly for work, but I would really like to keep playing DDO in my free time. I would like to know if anyone have ever tried this game on it, or have some advice about its performance. I'm not buying a gaming laptop, just want to know if I can still have like 30 FPS in minimum graphics.

Intel core i5 3777U 1.8GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz)
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Intel® HD graphics
    Windows 8 64-bit
    (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Inspiron...specifications)

Thank you for reading.

Hordo's computer is like 10 times more hordible, er... horrible then that model. I haven't run into any Intel graphics lately that don't at least run DirectX 9. It should play the game just fine.

Community Member

yeah, a Core i5 will murder it...

No problems at all.

I have an i3 laptop that runs it just fine.

DDO isn't exactly the most demanding game on resources.. it's a little outdated and can run fine on less then top of the line boxes.

Tell the boys at BestBuy that you need to confirm proper operation of DDO on said laptop before buying. See if they will let you download, install, and run it prior to purchase. Don't forget the ddopreloader if needed.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Buy ASUS or Toshiba and save yourself the headache of a DELL

But yes, any modern computer should be able to handle DDO

My son is playing on a new Dell Inspiron and the game runs fine. My daughter hasn't played in about 2 years but it ran fine on her earlier model Dell when she did.

Stick 8 Gig of RAM in it instead of 4, it makes a difference, especially since that looks like an integrated video card with shared memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Coprinus View Post
    Since I'll be in Illinois for six months, I'm about to buy a Dell laptop, mainly for work, but I would really like to keep playing DDO in my free time. I would like to know if anyone have ever tried this game on it, or have some advice about its performance. I'm not buying a gaming laptop, just want to know if I can still have like 30 FPS in minimum graphics.

Intel core i5 3777U 1.8GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz)
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Intel® HD graphics
    Windows 8 64-bit
    (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Inspiron...specifications)

Thank you for reading.
    Best advice is get teh Harddrive swapped for a Solid State Drive a 5400 rpm drive = long loading times.

I swapped to a solid state drive 2 years ago and you couldn't give me a free computer if I was forced to use a mechanical drive in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Stick 8 Gig of RAM in it instead of 4, it makes a difference, especially since that looks like an integrated video card with shared memory.
    Good advice, this. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Best advice is get teh Harddrive swapped for a Solid State Drive a 5400 rpm drive = long loading times.

I swapped to a solid state drive 2 years ago and you couldn't give me a free computer if I was forced to use a mechanical drive in.
    and this. ^^
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

My computer is the same except i3, and windows 7 instead of 8. Unless 8 takes up a huge amount more bloat than seven you'll be fine. I can run dual boxed toons on medium settings just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Buy ASUS or Toshiba and save yourself the headache of a DELL
    This, but disregard the Toshiba lol
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Good suggestions as far as the ram and ssd go. Id avoid Dell like the plague, speaking from personal experience. Im in the uk and use a company there where you can pick your own specs for your budget, im sure there may be an equivalent near you if youre abroad. www.pc.co.uk

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

My budget box Dell from 2007 runs DDO fine. It's a desktop, not a laptop, but every single spec is way worse than in the OP.

Community Member

Default Safe by a mile!

One of my guildies was happily raiding from a mid-range 2006-era Dell until it finally surrendered it's higher functions a couple of months ago. So sth 7 years newer and about a brazzilion times faster should be just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Good advice, this. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post

and this. ^^
    And one more recommendation - Even if you don't add more RAM or an SSD, spend some time with your new computer uninstalling the massive amount of BLOATWARE you'll find on it before installing DDO. I've seen boxes that should have had the power to form singularities and open a rift to parallel dimensions brought to a crawl by bloatware. Give PC Decrapifier a try. It's free for personal use, updated regularly and compatible with Windows 8.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackdoguk View Post
    Id avoid Dell like the plague, speaking from personal experience.
    I have no idea where this Dell hate comes from.

I run an IT department in an institution that buys literally thousands of computers a year. Over the last decade pretty much all windows based installs have shifted over to Dell because its decent value for money (at least the corporate deals are) and there are highly reliable.

Dealing with Dell (or any other "brand" name) means you may have less options for combining parts of your choice, but you can put together anything from the most basic dumb workstation right through to some of the best high performance computing clusters out there (ok, those obviously don't run windows)

Now granted if you look at a line like Alienware its WAY overpriced for what you are getting, but they aren't selling those to people with good IT knowledge, they are selling that to people with too much money who want to be seen as having a cool looking computer with a cool sounding name.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    I have no idea where this Dell hate comes from.

I run an IT department in an institution that buys literally thousands of computers a year. Over the last decade pretty much all windows based installs have shifted over to Dell because its decent value for money (at least the corporate deals are) and there are highly reliable.
    I worked for a company who did that. The thought behind it was that Dells were cheap enough to replace when they burned out after two years. We also ran on Windows XP, if that tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    I worked for a company who did that. The thought behind it was that Dells were cheap enough to replace when they burned out after two years. We also ran on Windows XP, if that tells you anything.
    I can testify to that as well. I worked for several companies previously. They all used Dells.

Personally I have used two Inspiron Dell Laptops with dedicate graphics cards, they were fine. None of them has broke down for me before. The problem was when trying to resell them. They do not get good resell prices as people were expecting Alienware "like" performance out of plain old Dells.

One advice to the OP though: Your character will be much happier with a dedicated NVIDIA or ATI GPU rather than the Intel HD 4000 GPU even though the built-ins have been getting better on medium settings. Let's just say that the OP's characters don't mind the graphics lag with Intel HD 4000s.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Oh yeah, one more thing: You can turn the draw distance closer and turn off shadows to improve performance. If the OP doesn't play any spell caster or ranged combatant, the OP will be fine.

If the OP do play ranged like a monkcher though, it would be nice to be able to see monsters from a mile away and that needs an excellent graphics card.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Well considering the standard corporate warranty is either 3-5 years, depending on your procurement agreement, that makes no sense since Dell would fix any problem on a 2 year old machine.

Actually its much the opposite problem. I just took over a new division that had Dells that were 5-7 years old. The IT guy wouldn't buy new ones because the old ones never broke down lol. He was so displeased with me for suggesting a 4 year replacement cycle to match the warranties. I mean really, when for $1000 you can get an excellent machine with a nice 23" monitor for your staff, why not?

The reality is all brands have most of their parts coming out of the same factory. Since Dell uses "brand name" parts, they are as reliable as any other computer on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Personally I have used two Inspiron Dell Laptops with dedicate graphics cards, they were fine. None of them has broke down for me before. The problem was when trying to resell them. .
    See, and that's their old bottom of the barrel junk line, they have 3 full lines above that, not including Alienware.
    Last edited by Citzen_Gkar; 08-01-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast