Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kensai Fighter: Capstone is weaksauce

As mentioned a think a zillion times there's no reason for a Kensai to go above level 12 on fighter.

In order to compete the Fighter Capstone would have to make up for . . .

- 1 added crti multiplier on 19-20
    - 25% incorporeal
    - 25% dodge
    - Evasion
    - About 65 PRR just from Earth-Stance and Defensive strikes . . . with NO OFFENSIVE LOSS to a THFer.

I'm sorry, 10% double-strike just doesn't cut it.

Devs on Lamania stated they like tough decisions . . . this ain't a tough decision at all. The advantage of splashing 6 monk are a no brainer for anything except a flavor toon (aka . . . "gimp").

You've upped the ante on the splash benefits, now it's time to up the ante on the captsone. What that'll be I have no idea. Maybe +5 action boosts and +10 tactics DCs along with the 10% double-strike and this might be useful.

But wait...they added 2 extra action boosts to the capstone =D

Now we're even...
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

since monks are mentioned,ninja tier 5 is just as weak,

the crippling strike's STR dmg does nothing in epic dungeons,mobs wont even feel the STR loss or they just recover it too fast(they still hurt me as much as ever and wont ever go helpless due to drained STR);

the shadow double needs 30ki, and for 6sec every 30sec you got enhanced DS rate(if you keep using it),not bad,but will not worth tier 5 all by itself;

as for the other ninja tier 5 move(i dont even remember its name),even if i forget that it took 8 useless points(maybe more?) as prerequisite,i still wont take it , using finishers most times means DPS loss,not gain.
    IGN Manasdirge; guild:excalibur

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

I just wish it was easy to play a fighter. You'd think that would be the easiest class to jump into the game and enjoy, right? No. In order to be high level viable, we have to research the forums and min/max into oblivion.

I think the top priority should be to make each pure class equal to any other. A tall order, but probably a lot easier to deal with than the latest fad exploit build. If it means that a fighter gets rewarded far better for sticking with their profession for 20 levels than an already overpowered necromancer, than what's the problem? We all win in the end and everyone happy with their build.

They added +2 DCs . . . make it +5 and you might be cooking with gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    They added +2 DCs . . . make it +5 and you might be cooking with gas.
    Heh,

Its amazing how they think this actually competes with splashing.
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE

Community Member

To be fair the comparison made by the op is a bit outdated seeing as defensive strikes no longer exists ion its current previous form.

Although this may not be gained territory for fighter, most classes will have the same issue as even this ftr capstone is better than the capstones of: ravager FB acrobat Warchanter and others.

Granted they should really all be equal in power with 2splash levels of another class, just pointing out that fighter isnt getting a left out by its self.
    Alkkarn Alkkine Alkine Roubot Alkot Alkky
    On argo cuz its better than you!

Founder

2 Paladin gets you ~ +5 hit/dam/tactics with divine might.... They could just move divine might up to tier 4 though since 2 paladin is desirable with no enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkot View Post
    To be fair the comparison made by the op is a bit outdated seeing as defensive strikes no longer exists ion its current previous form.
    No, it's not. Splashing is still monumentally stronger. If you can't see that you do not understand the game mechanics.

I may have missed something because I cannot get on the server yet . . . but is there any reason to go above 12 fighter at all?
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 07-27-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Community Member

No, it's not. Splashing is still monumentally stronger. If you can't see that you do not understand the game mechanics.

I may have missed something because I cannot get on the server yet . . . but is there any reason to go above 12 fighter at all?
    1: I never said that splashing was weaker

2: "Defensive Strikes has been removed. It has been replaced with "Deft Strikes" - a passive ability which increases offhand attack proc chance."
    Check the release notes
    Alkkarn Alkkine Alkine Roubot Alkot Alkky
    On argo cuz its better than you!

I don't think he said that splashing wasn't weaker - you should just edit your OP and remove defensive strikes as a splashing perk, thats all.

Splashing is still ridiculously favored, I remember a QA person (since they said they weren't devs) during last weeks "dev" events saying that they'd simply prefer to splash with this system too. Shows how much they even care to balance alternate build decisions at this point...
    YouTube Channel HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Splashing is still ridiculously favored, I remember a QA person (since they said they weren't devs) during last weeks "dev" events saying that they'd simply prefer to splash with this system too. Shows how much they even care to balance alternate build decisions at this point...
    +5 tactics to start, If that capstone doesn't have at least that don't bother.

Community Member

That goes to show that at least some people working for Turbine understands that the Capstones aren't anywhere near being the equal or better than Evasion or some other couple of levels of another class perk. I've yet to see a single Capstone that is truly worthy staying pure for any class.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    I've yet to see a single Capstone that is truly worthy staying pure for any class.
    Tempest Ranger is looking really tempting, its a tough call. That makes it a good capstone.

A no-brainer one way or the other isn't a good capstone, it need to be a tough decision.

Im more in favor or redistributing abilties from the first few levels of a class than buffing kensai. Because this isn't an issue that is only relevant for fighters...

Tokun PDK 12 Monk/4 Paladin/4 Fighter (3x Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue/2x Bard, Barbarian PL)
    Tekllin Human 20 Sorc (3x Sorc, Wiz PL)
    Jadokis Purple Dragon Knight 18 Barbarian/1 Favored Soul/1 Fighter (3x Bard, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue/2x Favored Soul/Heroic and Epic Completionist)
    Degenerate Matter

+5 tactics to start, If that capstone doesn't have at least that don't bother.
    Lol, +5 tactics will sway you?

With the splash fighter build I already reached like a 78 stun DC. I doubt anything will save against that anyway.

A UNIQUE ability as part of the capstone is what we need. Every other kind of buff is mostly covered from the myriad of trees available through splashing.
    YouTube Channel HERE

Lol, +5 tactics will sway you?

With the splash fighter build I already reached like a 78 stun DC. I doubt anything will save against that anyway.

A UNIQUE ability as part of the capstone is what we need. Every other kind of buff is mostly covered from the myriad of trees available through splashing.
    +5 is the start

To be honest I'm not sure what would sway me, I don't play a capstoned Kensai now. But it least now it's a tough call.

A capstone now needs to be able to compete with 6 monk and 2 pally, I'm not sure that's even possible.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 07-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.

+5 is the start

To be honest I'm not sure what would sway me, I don't play a capstoned Kensai now. But it least now it's a tough call.

A capstone now needs to be able to compete with 6 monk and 2 pally, I'm not sure that's even possible.
    Or 4 monk/4 pally - which is the route I'm going, as of right now.

YouTube Channel HERE

Or 4 monk/4 pally - which is the route I'm going, as of right now.

what does the extra two pally level get you over shadow-fade?

what does the extra two pally level get you over shadow-fade?
    My guess is Turn Undead for Divine Might which is how he is getting his DC's so high he's adding 16 or so to STR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast