Community Member

Unhappy Enveloping Swarm... needs a boost

"You conjure a swarm of voracious insects to envelop your body. Enemies that strike you in battle attract their ire, and have a 50% chance of being swarmed in turn.

Enemies with this effect take 3 untyped damage initially, and an additional 3 untyped damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds."

This is a level 4 spell, 25 SP cost, 1 minute per level duration. I think a 50% chance of 12 damage might be a little bit low for the sp cost. Maybe give it 3d4 plus 3d4 every 2 seconds for six seconds 100% chance. Something to make the spell a little bit more worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafaron View Post
    "You conjure a swarm of voracious insects to envelop your body. Enemies that strike you in battle attract their ire, and have a 50% chance of being swarmed in turn.

Enemies with this effect take 3 untyped damage initially, and an additional 3 untyped damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds."

This is a level 4 spell, 25 SP cost, 1 minute per level duration. I think a 50% chance of 12 damage might be a little bit low for the sp cost. Maybe give it 3d4 plus 3d4 every 2 seconds for six seconds 100% chance. Something to make the spell a little bit more worthwhile.
    Yeah, it is a terrible spell. Even if you just consider fire shield's damage component, it is still superior, dealing 11 or so damage each time you are instead of an average 6. And no one casts fire shield for the damage effect.

Does it stack with each swing perhaps like a DOT? Though even if it does and even with a decent duration it's not bringing a heck of a lot to the table.

If it's not stacking it should. If it stacked like a DOT it could be a better spell for battles of any reasonable length.

A guy swinging at you 20 times (with it proc'ing 10) is looking at 30 dmg plus 30 every 2 seconds for 6 seconds untyped. so 120 dmg + whatever was hitting him as he "dotted" up. It could at least be a nice little DPS boost. Especially since it's untyped.

With Max and Empower you are looking at 69 per tick so 272 dmg. Granted that is for 65 SP.... hmmm you know even then that would be kind of lack lustre.

It should probably be 5 damage per tick and stack like a DOT.

Those theoretical numbers go to 200 and and 453 respectively. Even then against weaker monsters it looks good but how many of them are going to stand up in combat the time it takes them to take 20 swings. Realistically this is going to be most effective at higher level MOBS but it's providing the least affect on them (as a % of hp).

Now all of that said if it doesn't stack like a dot... well give me a break it's not even worth it against CR 2 Kobolds.

I guess that explains why I never have cast it eh!

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Does it stack with each swing perhaps like a DOT? Though even if it does and even with a decent duration it's not bringing a heck of a lot to the table.

If it's not stacking it should. If it stacked like a DOT it could be a better spell for battles of any reasonable length.

A guy swinging at you 20 times (with it proc'ing 10) is looking at 30 dmg plus 30 every 2 seconds for 6 seconds untyped. so 120 dmg + whatever was hitting him as he "dotted" up. It could at least be a nice little DPS boost. Especially since it's untyped.

With Max and Empower you are looking at 69 per tick so 272 dmg. Granted that is for 65 SP.... hmmm you know even then that would be kind of lack lustre.

Those theoretical numbers go to 200 and and 453 respectively. Even then against weaker monsters it looks good but how many of them are going to stand up in combat the time it takes them to take 20 swings. Realistically this is going to be most effective at higher level MOBS but it's providing the least affect on them (as a % of hp).

Now all of that said if it doesn't stack like a dot... well give me a break it's not even worth it against CR 2 Kobolds.

I don't think it stacks. But even if it did, the duration is too short given 50% chance and the slow mob attack speed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post

You are leaving out that it does this to every mob that hit's the caster for the duration, not just one mob. Not that I'm saying this makes it a good use of SP's or not, but that the analysis missed this point.

This spell is fairly useless, from what I have found.

EXCEPT.. It makes your druid look like they REALLY need a bath. Good for a little RP.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

This is just one of those spells that is just a bit confusing. I'm not a pnp person but is this copying a pnp spell? If so, it just doesn't translate all that well. It's not like it's an old spell either. There isn't really a reason to implement "bad" spells in the first place other than to give the illusion of more spells than we actually have. It needs a boost. The easy fix is just to give it more damage, but I'd be inclined to give it some sort of extra effect, possibly blinding creatures enveloped by the swarm or inflicting poison or disease type effects. The "50%" stipulation is just a bit needless here as well. For such a weak spell it might as well be simplified and hit 100% of the time. Needless extra words and complication that adds no balance whatsoever.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Zafaron View Post
    Enemies with this effect take 3 untyped damage initially, and an additional 3 untyped damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds.
    Can't untyped damage be boosted by force spellpower? At the very least that's an impulse augment & implement bonus... more if your Druid has a wiz or Arti splash. Not saying that'll magically make it awesome, just brainstorming...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

on process give it a will save for mobs to resist stopping to get swarm off. a 6 sec CC would make it worth the 25sp. Maybe shorten duration to be in line with fireshield.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    This is just one of those spells that is just a bit confusing. I'm not a pnp person but is this copying a pnp spell? If so, it just doesn't translate all that well. It's not like it's an old spell either. There isn't really a reason to implement "bad" spells in the first place other than to give the illusion of more spells than we actually have. It needs a boost. The easy fix is just to give it more damage, but I'd be inclined to give it some sort of extra effect, possibly blinding creatures enveloped by the swarm or inflicting poison or disease type effects. The "50%" stipulation is just a bit needless here as well. For such a weak spell it might as well be simplified and hit 100% of the time. Needless extra words and complication that adds no balance whatsoever.
    That would be awesome~

Alternatively, it could slow the attack speed of the target a bit, since they have to stop and swat at the bugs swarming them.... well, living enemies, anyways.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Alternatively, it could slow the attack speed of the target a bit, since they have to stop and swat at the bugs swarming them.... well, living enemies, anyways.
    Yeah I was thinking that too - except I don't know how that would interact with the new Beguile enhancement for Druids.

But I don't think you can salvage this as a damage-guard proc spell. There's just no way to scale it even into late Heroic, let alone Epic content. It'd have to be some CC or debuff effect. Maybe have it have a 50% chance when hit (and maybe 5% when you hit them?) to inflict a stat-damage poison, like -2 Con every 2 seconds for 6 seconds, as the bugs bite you and drink your blood and give you malaria and stuff

Community Member

almost useless spell... but expeciallyu casted in wolf form make your druid seem very cool