The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default Sorcerous Arcane Archer

I'd like to start of by saying this build is insane and I wouldn't recommend it outside of Static Groups.

Okay that said a friend of mine asked me to convert his PnP character (A Half-Elven Sorcerer AA) to DDO...long back story short his Half-Elven Father was an Archer and his Elven Mother was a Sorcerer and growing up his character wanted to impress both so under their tutelage he combined his skill with a bow with the innate magical energies flowing through him inherited from his mother to become a Arcane Archer.

Now since Sorcs only have 1 prestige class right now the build will obviously go Savant. Air Savant was chosen for two reasons one the enhanced ability to control "Air" suits an archer in our opinion and two frankly lightning spells just look awesome in DDO. AA is of course required but unfortunately will not be obtained until Lvl 10 due to BAB requirements

Okay so w/o further adieu here's the build

Code:
    Elf Sorc18/Ranger2 Arcane Archer/Air Savant

Str 8
    Dex 16 (+2 Tome by Lvl 12, +3 Tome by 21)
    Con 12
    Int 12
    Wis 8
    Cha 18 (Lvl ups here)

Skills: UMD, Concen, Diplo (Balance on Ranger Lvls and once a +2 Int tome is used)

Level Order: Ranger 1, Sorc 2 - 7, Ranger 8, Sorc 9 - 20

1 PBS
    R1 Bow Strength
    R1 FE: ???
    3 SF: Evo
    6 Maximize
    R8 Rapid Shot
    9 WF: Ranged (swap to Empower post E-Pass)
    12 Manyshot
    15 Precise Shot 
    18 Heighten
    ED Shiradi
    21 Improved Precise Shot
    24 IC: Ranged
    The main idea with this build is to primarily use Arcane spells and only use a bow to Manyshot...unless he runs out of SP or were just screwing around than Bow is a decent back-up...now the build starts with 8 Str which seems bad for Bow Str but Str is so laughably easy to pump to ridiculous levels in DDO compared to other stats it's not that big of a deal (Also Elven Archers Post E-Pass get Dex to Damage for Longbows, Longswords and Rapiers). The Shiradi ED synergizes well with both Bows and Arcane Spells not to mention the fluff of Fey abilities and Elven Heritage.

Oh and from what I've seen of the E-Pass this build will actually get quite a bit better (ignoring the stupid Spellcraft fiasco) with it (Note: This is based on the state of E-Pass Pre-Closed Beta)

So what do you guys think...any suggested tweaks?

Feel free to dicuss non-NDA'd Post E-Pass suggestions (Here's a PDF of the Non-NDA'd E-Pass Stuff)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 07-31-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Default Characters with character

I love it. As a new(er) player I perceive that there's far too much of a ****ing contest in the game about putting that build puzzle together just right to drop the heaviest hammer. I've never played a monk but can obviously see they're grossly overpowered --essentially running 5 levels above one's actual level. Barbarians are a close second, I feel run by 14 year olds, "Duh, look how much one shots I can do 2 u (sic)."

I'm planning on posting a similar argument elsewhere, but yeah, building a history and background and personality and biases into a character rather than just trying to run it as a calculated, two dimensional boss hammer is far more rewarding. Sadly, no one outside one's immediate friend group knows this and calls you "gimp" --toads. Stick with it. Let the monks and barbarians get their little self esteem boosts based on over-powered classes due to designers with Bruce Lee and Conan the Barbarian fantasies and remember its just a damn game and should be there to have fun above all else.

p.s. about your build though, I would drop thoughts of Weapon Finesse. You're spreading yourself way to thin -are you a sorcerer, an archer, or a melee?

Quote Originally Posted by WraithfaceMacabre View Post
    Its just a damn game and should be there to have fun above all else.
    Heh QFT...90% of my DDO play is in a static group so "Flavour/Fluff" builds are quite commonplace for me...it makes DDO much more fun. The Arty in our group is roleplaying as the henchmen of the wizard that hired us to destroy all the boxes (and other breakables) that we can and the Arty Construct is actually a Combat Capable Camera that the Wizard watches our progress through and rewards as with extra xp based on breakable destruction. Box Smasher enhancement taken of course

Quote Originally Posted by WraithfaceMacabre View Post
    p.s. about your build though, I would drop thoughts of Weapon Finesse. You're spreading yourself way to thin -are you a sorcerer, an archer, or a melee?
    Yeah the Weapon Finesse was an afterthought I figured I may as well I guess I'm better of sticking with SF:Evo.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 07-31-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Nog, I love it too. I would worry about Hitpoints and spell disruption with no quicken but I dig the dual-burst manyshot/nuke idea and think it would be tons of fun to play.

Do you have a projection on how many Hitpoints it would have fully built with gear?

Love my archers ..... Never even thought of running a sorc version

Let me know how it goes ...

I'd actually like to be in every party you join to listen to you explain the toon !!

Hehe .... Have fun regardless
    " Elize Ryd - Officer @ Band of Gypsys "

" Trapped in my skin - See the nexus in my dreams - But will you bury me within? "

Amaranthe - The NeXuS

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    (Also Elven Archers Post E-Pass get Dex to Damage for Longbows, Longswords and Rapiers).
    You are taking 2 ranger levels in order to get Rapid Shot and Bow Strength feats but, as yourself pointed out, your elf could live without Bow Strength.

You could replace the 2 ranger levels with
    - 2 fighter levels, gaining 1 feat
    - 1 fighter level (Rapid Shot) + something else (1 bard level for full UMD?)

The fighter levels fit the background; as for the bard level, his father won the heart of an elven sorceress: he surely had some tricks up his sleeve!
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    You are taking 2 ranger levels in order to get Rapid Shot and Bow Strength feats but, as yourself pointed out, your elf could live without Bow Strength.

You could replace the 2 ranger levels with
    - 2 fighter levels, gaining 1 feat
    - 1 fighter level (Rapid Shot) + something else (1 bard level for full UMD?)

The fighter levels fit the background; as for the bard level, his father won the heart of an elven sorceress: he surely had some tricks up his sleeve!
    Hehe I love the Bard comment lol I may suggest it just fro that I think he'll like it Too bad skill pints are too limited to fit Perfrom because adding Fascinate (D20 + Perform Skill = DC would be fun on such a high Cha character)...the ranger levels are only there because currently there is no option for Dex to damage with bows so to run the build now Bow Str is required but yes assuming Elves keep the dex to damage ability fighter 1-2/X0-1 is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by 96th_Malice View Post
    Love my archers ..... Never even thought of running a sorc version

Let me know how it goes ...

I'd actually like to be in every party you join to listen to you explain the toon !!

Hehe .... Have fun regardless
    Builds not for me it's for a friend who will be in a static group for me...no explanation needed. Honestly I rarely PUG anymore since I either get people who are Newish and don't really understand how to play or Elitists who immediately dismiss my builds...oh there's the occasional great group but its not often enough but I'll keep you guys posted as a 3rd party observer (note: this may actually be swapped to a Wizard if Wild Mage is added to the line-up and isn't bubcus my friend really like this sounds of it and Frankly a Wild Mage+ Shiradi sounds like it would be a raving good time of randomness)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-01-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Community Member

Default elemental arrows

do the elemental arrows enhancement in the AA line get bonus fire damage from the sorcerer Fire Savant line?

@snowlord

Otherwise - I think this is a good idea for a build and I like the thought put into it.

Any thoughts on going 14/6 instead of going 18/2? (immediate access to Shiradi and I think it would work).

You'd get Manyshot, Precise Shot, and Rapid Shot for free - opening up some additional Feats.
    You'd also get Barkskin and some baby heals for emergencies.

14 Sorc still gives you access to Chain Lightning, Lightning, Eldar's, and Ball Lightning. You lose KD immunity, a bit of Spell Power, and some higher level spells.

Overall, it might be just a little more rugged (HP) and I think the extra feats might be worth the trade-off.

No Spellcraft?? BAH!! (JK)
    Last edited by thesnoman; 01-09-2014 at 05:59 AM.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowlord View Post
    do the elemental arrows enhancement in the AA line get bonus fire damage from the sorcerer Fire Savant line?
    AFAIK, neither the imbues nor the special atks (Inferno Shot, Slaying Arrow) benefit from Spellpower. Pity: if it worked like the Spellsword enhs did in EK, it might make caster / archers more interesting.