Community Member

Default probably posted a 1000 times before but if you could clear this up

what are the limitations on f2p iv been looking around the net n a lot of posts iv found are old, so not sure what the current limitiations are so if someone could clear them up for me that would be great

are you limited with

character slots
    races
    classes
    dungeons
    story
    inventory space/ money
    instances
    level cap etc

also i heard you can earn favour or something to remove the limitations (if this is still in place) if so how easy or long does it take you to get said favor to unlock the full game as it were

sorry if this has been posted a million times before but any help would be appreciated

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Have a read here and it should answer all your questions (more or less).

Stoner81.

Community Member

jesus from looking at that f2p is hardly worth playing at all lol, you hardly get any classes, unless favor is easy to come by and unlock said classes

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by demonizer84 View Post
    jesus from looking at that f2p is hardly worth playing at all lol, you hardly get any classes, unless favor is easy to come by and unlock said classes
    ??? There are only 4 classes that a F2P player does not get right away, 2 of which can be gotten for favor.(Granted this does take work)

As a premium player who owns most of the content, About half of which I've bought through favor earned I'd very much attest to the fact that this game is worth playing, and on a F2P platform no less.

It's worth noting that this game, unlike most others will have you staying at the lower levels(Say 1-12ish) for a long time before you get to, or are ready for end game content. So you can get plenty of play out of the base classes and F2P content. Because of the complexity this game can offer with build options and play styles, this is a very good thing and it will let you play and experience many different classes, and builds before you are really ready for higher end content/end game.

What I would recommend as an option starting out, is spend say $25-$30 on Turbine points and buy the following packs:
    (This is about the same price you'd pay to buy FF14, WoW, or cheaper than most PC/Console games. And Nets you a few account upgrades for free just from purchasing something form the DDOStore; 2 more character slots, raises the amount of plat you can carry on your toons, raises the number of Auctions you can post on the AH, and maybe something else I'm forgetting?)

Giant Hold
    Necro 4
    The Vale Of Twilight
    Delera's Tomb

This will give you access to the most run content while leveling, the most run endgame stuff(Epic Giant Hold mostly), as well as some of the best gear for leveling, twinking for TR's and (Current) End game.

After this if you've played around enough and decide to stay, I'd say your next best bet would be to buy the MOTU expansion($25 I think?), which will give you the rest of the most frequently run end game content( to some extent) as well as some of the best and easiest to get end game gear.(Raid gear being hard to get, commendation gear/1st-3rd Chain gear being easier to get)

This will also grant you Epic destinies which is where most of your end game power will come from.

It's also worth note that if you run a toon on each server and grab 100 favor(First time only) You get I think 100 TP per server(been a while can someone confirm this amount?) So right off the bat in about 2 days of play you could buy your first adventure pack.

You're also much better off starting F2P Now days then back a couple years when I started. The lootgen items are much more powerful now, and even F2P named items are pretty damn good now. <- this was not true even just a few months ago.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

just downloaded n started playing, think i picked the wrong class though, started as an ele wizard n just got my ass handed to me on the first couple of missions, also when it comes to levelling it seems a bit daunting, tried looking at a few builds but cant seem to find many, as it seems this is deffo a group play game and solo-ing is not really reccomended

Community Member

just downloaded n started playing, think i picked the wrong class though, started as an ele wizard n just got my ass handed to me on the first couple of missions, also when it comes to levelling it seems a bit daunting, tried looking at a few builds but cant seem to find many, as it seems this is deffo a group play game and solo-ing is not really reccomended
    Yeah, when I first started I made a sorc and it just didn't work out. Casters are tough to figure out as you're getting your feet wet in game.

If I had to restart, I'd make a bard with high str, high con, and ok-ish charisma (if you have leftover points..not really necesary to be honest). Take master's touch as a spell and use a two-handed weapon. This will give you sort of acceptable dps (at least low levels), good survivability (you'll get cure spells, blur/displacement), and keep the party happy through buffs/CC songs (haste, rage, Greater heroism, and all the fun songs you get such as fascinate, inspire, and whatever prestige you choose).

When I was fairly new I made a 20 virtuoso bard and had a lot of fun with it..I could crowd control anything (song of capering is awesome for single, tough targets) and solo heal most of the content as I was leveling.

Another option would be 16 bard/2 fighter/2 rogue. This build has more potential dps, evasion, and the possibility of disabling traps but for a new player it may be biting off more than you can chew gear-wise.

PLUS bards come with another nice advantage...low expectations! If you actually enter the quest and start killing stuff while healing & buffing, the group will be very impressed.

Default time = TP

Favor is pretty easy to get. I was f2p for a long while. I got nearly the entire game for free. It took time and patience but it was possible. 100 favor = 25 TP and there are breakpoints. I forget the exact numbers but at like 10 favor first time on a server you get a bunch of TP, again at something like 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. You can do this across several severs and have a couple thousand TP. Trade those in each time for new packs.

As I said, it's a slow process, but if you're not in a hurry, it's not a big deal. I have my personal issues with Turbine, but they are the only game I know of where you can not only play for free forever, but you can eventually "buy" the game for free as well.

2016 DDO Players Council PsychoBlonde's Avatar

You can also get Turbine points by participating in the chronicle question and submitting screenshots to the Screenshot of the Week.

Casters pick up enormously when they hit level 5 or 6. The "solo difficulty" ratings on classes on the character creation screen are actually pretty accurate. Cleric is by far the most survivable (free) class for soloing--but they tend to get boring. Melee classes like Barbarian own the lower levels but get really difficult later.
    Thelanis player: Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Kimberlei (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Daiahn, Arrekeh

Community Member

cool iv talked a friend into playing it tonight, i think im deffo gonna create a new class until i get used to the game as i want to do a necro, this might seem a really noobish question but when your saying put points into certain stats etc, where do you do this, do you do the tutorial area first or am i missing something haha

Community Member

Necro wizzies are fun to play

When I say "put points into str" I mean at the character creation screen after you pick your class/race/etc. You should get to put your 28 build points into stats, and then allocate skill points. This is all done before doing the tutorial area.

I always choose the "custom" path..I do not know if choosing a pre-designed path dictates where your points are spent

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by marinerfan View Post
    Necro wizzies are fun to play

When I say "put points into str" I mean at the character creation screen after you pick your class/race/etc. You should get to put your 28 build points into stats, and then allocate skill points. This is all done before doing the tutorial area.

I always choose the "custom" path..I do not know if choosing a pre-designed path dictates where your points are spent
    ah right il have to look at that then i must of missed something as i did my character then it threw me straight into game :/ you dont have to click on a specific tab or anything do you

nevermind found it was going to give paladin a run but would have no idea where to start so il give the bard a go
    Last edited by demonizer84; 07-31-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Community Member

god iv triple posted lol, just creating a bard now, was going well till the skills select screen :O dammmmmmmmm lol
    Last edited by demonizer84; 07-31-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Community Member

nevermind found it was gonna give a paladin a go but il try your bard suggestion n see where we go from there

Community Member

Paladin is also a pretty good choice for a beginner.

Re: bard skills, put points into perform, Use magic device, probably concentration..if any leftover i guess jump or balance? I feel like I'm forgetting an important skill...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    What I would recommend as an option starting out, is spend say $25-$30 on Turbine points and buy the following packs:
    (This is about the same price you'd pay to buy FF14, WoW, or cheaper than most PC/Console games. And Nets you a few account upgrades for free just from purchasing something form the DDOStore; 2 more character slots, raises the amount of plat you can carry on your toons, raises the number of Auctions you can post on the AH, and maybe something else I'm forgetting?)

Giant Hold
    Necro 4
    The Vale Of Twilight
    Delera's Tomb

This will give you access to the most run content while leveling, the most run endgame stuff(Epic Giant Hold mostly), as well as some of the best gear for leveling, twinking for TR's and (Current) End game.
    I'd much rather go with the $35 MotU standard edition in the DDO Market. It comes with:

Menace of the Underdark
    Epic Destinies
    Eveningstar Challenges
    Druid
    Greater Tome of Learning
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Attack on Stormreach
    Path of Inspiration
    Dreaming Dark
    1000 TP (to be spent on Gianthold)

Note that the 4 packs you recommend starting with (all of which are solid packs worth buying) cost 3500 TP, which would require spending at least $35 on points. The $35 MotU bundle is a way better value, IMO.

The only pressing hole left by the MotU bundle is Vale of Twilight, which can be gotten from favor by taking the other servers to 50 favor each. And this isn't needed until you hit the mid-teens.