Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    I You had smuggler's rest where you had quests designed for each class. Then you had the New Player Experience (Module 8) that added Korthos Island. The mistake is that tutorial does not teach you as much as the original smuggler's rest did.
    *cough* uh, not exactly. Those old 2 minute 'quests' were a joke; and you did not run some of them if you weren't in a class that needed them. And then the little trail to Euphonia was ok but certainly not immersive and the best DDO had to offer.

Korthos was a huge step up and, at the time, highly approved - even on these forums, At least the intro quests now has something for each class in the overall guise of a quest chain and story - much, much better in my opinion. And in the tutorial quest, artis and rogues get to use their skills, Casters get to practice their spellcasting. Fighters and Pally charge into the fray.

Want to improve the new player experience? Allow them to immediately group with their friends without the two separate Korthos Island. After all they joined the game to play with friends. More incentive for referring friends is needed.
    This, I agree with. Forget the whole 'sunny' and 'snowy' ****. Let friends play with their friends. /signed. Damn, that is the kiss of death isn't it? /approved
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Sig of ddocast fame suggested making three barrel cove f2p and tying it in with the korthos storyline. For completely new players trying out the game (most likely for free) I think this would make a great addition. I really like those quests, and the adventure area is great fun to explore, but because of the poor xp/loot rewarded it's pretty much a dead zone. Devs take note, this would be a great addition to f2p/early levels.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Community Member

If they redid korthos it would probably involve mandatory recursive sacophargi smashing in heytons rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaloric View Post
    Released in 2008, Korthos is getting a little frayed around the edges. As we've seen, the developers can create much better content now. Considering it's the first thing new players experience, doesn't it make sense to retire Korthos after 5 years and come up with something new that will wow players in 2013/14?
    I'd point out that ~90% of the quest content in Korthos are actually just a minor re-skin of 2006 launch content so except for the wilderness and public areas, its pretty much 7 year old content, not 5.

Still, I see no reason to both replacing it. I think someone who doesn't get out of Korthos probably won't stick with the game no matter what.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    I believe you do not understand the OP, let me give you an example. I convinced my friend to download ddo last year and he did, he started a character and gave up after appearing in korthos once finished the grotto.

His exact words were, this game looks outdated and nothing caught his interest, he never got to experience the better points of ddo and the better quest/area designs.

It looks and plays like peop. First impressions matter.
    Really? I play quite a lot of MMOs both new and old. I have most recently been playing GW2, Neverwinter, and Rift and I don't think that the first impression after creating a new character is any kind of "wow" in newer games either. Sounds like your friend didn't want to be "convinced" in the first place.
    Last edited by HAL; 07-31-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kylstrem View Post
    HA! According to one of the original programmers who was good friends with a co-worker of mine, those sewers were the original designer's brainchild who thought it was just a GENIUS idea.
    Hmm... I guess it depends on why they were supposed to be a genius idea.

If the designer thought it was genius having a bunch of cookie-cutter pieces of sewer that could be reused over and over to make new dungeons, then... no. With facepalm.

If it was genius because it provided an environment with the potential for 3-D maneuvers like Osgood's Basement, well, I enjoyed those sewers. And it does sort of provide an excuse for having little dungeons all over the Harbor. I just re-ran Hiding In Plain Sight and got a real kick (again) out of how it turns out to link up with the earlier quest.

It's just when you get to the Depths chain and you're still running through the same artwork over and over...
    /yawn

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    I convinced my friend to download ddo last year and he did, he started a character and gave up after appearing in korthos once finished the grotto.

His exact words were, this game looks outdated and nothing caught his interest, he never got to experience the better points of ddo and the better quest/area designs.
    The friend I described in my earlier post had the same reaction. The graphics he saw just weren't up to the latest standards, and he's all about the graphics, so he was never able to get over that.

But as far as I know, that's a function of the game's entire engine, not of any specific area; creating a new starter area wouldn't change the game's base graphics ability. They'd have to redo the graphics for the entire game, which I think we can be sure isn't going to happen, at least not anytime soon.

I remember hearing someone say that the new Gianthold had improved graphics. That may be, but I never noticed any changes. If anyone else thinks there were meaningful improvements, I'd be curious to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlannis View Post
    The friend I described in my earlier post had the same reaction. The graphics he saw just weren't up to the latest standards, and he's all about the graphics, so he was never able to get over that.
    That must make for a shallow gaming experience, good graphics doesn't mean good gameplay, some of the best games i have played in 30yrs of gaming have had god awful graphics but highly addictive gameplay, facebook games are a testament that it still holds true people are addicted to them to the point we are going to need 'facebook game addicts anonymous' soon lol
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Quote Originally Posted by XiaNYdE View Post
    That must make for a shallow gaming experience, good graphics doesn't mean good gameplay, some of the best games i have played in 30yrs of gaming have had god awful graphics but highly addictive gameplay, facebook games are a testament that it still holds true people are addicted to them to the point we are going to need 'facebook game addicts anonymous' soon lol
    Minecraft

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Korthos is great area for newbies and i don't think that graphics looks outdated. I don't miss wonderful graphic effects, true reflections, real leaves on the trees, clear faces of the NPCs and i never count polygons on the objects. Can be detail of textures higher? May be?

Only one thing irritating me on Korthos island. Floating grass. But this is only bug, which can be fixed
    (you will see it when you start halfling due his height)

it's true to have two Korthos is weird. And it is all about having one public area snowy and one sunny. (We don't have two Harbors - before Lords of Dust and after Lord of Dust. There isn't technical issue reason)
    Last edited by Wanesa; 08-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Community Member

We already have a new starter zone, actually two in fact. They are called Gianthold and Vale of Twilight Elite BB (bravery bonus), after rolling a new iconic hero which starts at level 15.

Community Member

The biggest problems with Korthos now is that the grouping limitations are confusing. If someone left Korthos they can't group with someone that didn't leave Korthos. It makes sense, but at the same time is confusing to a new player.

Also, Misery's Peak teaches you the pitfalls of grouping in PUGs. Whenever you run that in a PUG there is always someone that sends an "AFK" message and then is gone for like 10 minutes while everyone is waiting at the end. Then when the person is finally back, the next message is "I am lost".

I think the gather everyone at the end has some merit to encourage teamwork, but you can't control what someone else does so i think it should be removed for that quest. Save that mechanic for a later level.

And think of the sad commentary this is about a game that has been live since February 2006. Then again, this is the fault of the decision makers that are too lazy to come up with original designs. When a retread is done, not only should it be to update something, but things should be added.

Example. When the desert was redone for Epic. The places that looked like spots for future quests, should have been developed into new quests. Or Gianthold, don't send us to the exact same quests with minimal reworkings, give us new quests.
    Thats a great suggestion and ive seen it posted on the forums from time to time.

Even if eGH came out and the quest was "go investigate cabal again" you could enter cabal, and find some completely different quest, rather than the same quest with the mobs having epic stats with minor changes. Since you killed king bendix when you were level ~15 or so, something far nastier took over his abandoned lair....which can be a queue to introduce new mob types as well.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

original game had class based quest. there was one designed for rogues/rangers in spotting hidden walls, and a caster one which you learned to use a scroll.
    wait... what?
    we can use scrolls?

oO

Community Member

I feel Korthos gives a very good experience to first time players. I don't feel it needs an update as much as many of the later areas. Adding gem slots to all the old dungeon gear seems a good place to start.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Minecraft
    Dwarf Fortress
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

Want to improve the new player experience? Allow them to immediately group with their friends without the two separate Korthos Island. After all they joined the game to play with friends. More incentive for referring friends is needed.
    I think this is a great idea.

When I first started playing 3 1/2 years ago, I loved korthos.

I think for new players, korthos is not the problem, but veteran players. Most vets treat new players like garbage. This was true when I started playing, and holds true today. For you vets that actually take the time to help new players out, I applaud you! They are the future of the game.

The veteran attitude needs to change, to become less selfish, and to take some time to help out new players. Otherwise, frankly, we won't have anyone to play with next year.

So if you're reading this, get out there and help someone, cannith craft something for a newb, or pass that +1 paralysing short sword to that level 10 drow squishy rogue you come across.

Pay it forward people!

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

There's a book about Korthos, although I don't hear anyone mention it much anymore. The Salvation of Korthos

There will not be a new starter area for Eberron but I would bet Eveningstar gets a "real" starter area before another year is up. Hooray for cows and hayfields... that's original.

I did like the rework of Heyton's and I think the checkmark system is good but they need some training dummies and spell casting areas as well as locks and traps for new players to test their skills. It's really hard to tell how things work when you are being attacked.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Community Member

Lightbulb

The best solution might be to have 2 starting areas, Korthos and a new one.

As for comparisons, I do think Korthos is unimpressive compared to other MMOs on the market, partly because those MMOs were created years later than Korthos and therefore have the benefit of newer technology. The latest DDO content, however, compares favorably to other games. It's important to put that new content, rather than 5-year-old content, in front of new players as soon as possible.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default I despise Korthos, BUT it works

1. It is way better training than what we had before from Euphonia's island and the training dummies.

2. It has stopped the spammers

3. It has stopped the real money ultra-annoying companies from sending me mail messages that I should come to their site and spend real money for virtual goods from their professional farmers.

4. Turbine is sort of changing around the harbor right now.

I say keep Korthos because nothing on it is broken. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast