Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Exclamation New Starter Zone: Korthos 5 Years Old

Released in 2008, Korthos is getting a little frayed around the edges. As we've seen, the developers can create much better content now. Considering it's the first thing new players experience, doesn't it make sense to retire Korthos after 5 years and come up with something new that will wow players in 2013/14?

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Zaloric View Post
    Released in 2008, Korthos is getting a little frayed around the edges. As we've seen, the developers can create much better content now. Considering it's the first thing new players experience, doesn't it make sense to retire Korthos after 5 years and come up with something new that will wow players in 2013/14?
    So we need a second New Player Experience update? No thanks, how about stop retreading content and come up with original content.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member

Still one of my favourite areas. Nothing wrong with Korthos. What's eating you about it? Does it take that long to get off it??

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    What's eating you about it?
    The first moments of the game are vital. Some of the older areas of this game are just hideous and are unfortunately mostly centered around the low levels that most new players encounter. It would be nice to see them revisited and improved.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I wont be surprised if we get new low level starter area in the Eveningstar. The new button on the Iconis is kind of leading to that I would say. Its not like its hard to ship them off through a mysterious portal where they get trapped in a strange new world until they get enough recognition to try and go home.

Didn't they remodel some of the korthos quests and add new DM voice a few updates ago? Heyton's Rest was updated for sure; can't remember if the others were. I think one or two new korthos quests would be cool, or a new/updated shipwrecked shore and grotto.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ycheese123 View Post
    Didn't they remodel some of the korthos quests and add new DM voice a few updates ago? Heyton's Rest was updated for sure; can't remember if the others were. I think one or two new korthos quests would be cool, or a new/updated shipwrecked shore and grotto.
    Heyton's Rest was the only one that was changed in any meaningful way. It was a moderately nice rework, although the last time I checked, the mini-map for it still displayed poorly.

They also added the framing quest (using that checkbox system) with the intention of guiding the newbie through it better.

Personally I don't think Korthos needs to be replaced. I don't think it's unattractive, or at least no more so than any other part of this 7-years-old graphics engine. I still remember how awesome the aqueduct was the first time I saw it, and how much it set the mood for Eberron.

I'd be more concerned about the experience of entering the Harbor and going through sewer after sewer. One of my friends who joined the game back when I did, but left before we even hit 5th level, complained about the dungeons all looking the same. He barely lasted long enough to get out of the Harbor, much less long enough to get to any of the hand-crafted adventure packs.

Oh, wait. There's one part of Korthos I definitely agree is unattractive: Misery's Peak. That one is ugly as sin, and mile after mile of relative sameness.

There is, it's true, a certain lack of logic to the Korthos storyline. We seem to have a village with about five buildings, an island which is otherwise empty of all human housing, and scads and scads of ex-villagers who have been converted to Cultists. It didn't take me long to wonder where they all had been living in the years before the trouble started!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlannis View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the experience of entering the Harbor and going through sewer after sewer. One of my friends who joined the game back when I did, but left before we even hit 5th level, complained about the dungeons all looking the same. He barely lasted long enough to get out of the Harbor, much less long enough to get to any of the hand-crafted adventure packs.
    HA! According to one of the original programmers who was good friends with a co-worker of mine, those sewers were the original designer's brainchild who thought it was just a GENIUS idea.

Just play a FR Iconic and poof your new starting area will be Evenignstar.

Wish granted!
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    So we need a second New Player Experience update? No thanks, how about stop retreading content and come up with original content.
    I believe you do not understand the OP, let me give you an example. I convinced my friend to download ddo last year and he did, he started a character and gave up after appearing in korthos once finished the grotto.

His exact words were, this game looks outdated and nothing caught his interest, he never got to experience the better points of ddo and the better quest/area designs.

It looks and plays like peop. First impressions matter.

Community Member

not a bad idea, but what about those new players that buy MOTU standard or collectors editions? or the new xpack and end up with Vet I or II or iconic heroes, most likley they will just by-pass Korthos altogether.

I agree the NEW player experience needs to be enhanced, but korthos is not where they will always be starting out, some may just jump straight into level 4, 7 or 15 content right from the get go. Those are the NEW players I would be most concerned about, not the F2P ones that start off in Korthos where the learning curve is much easier to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    I believe you do not understand the OP, let me give you an example. I convinced my friend to download ddo last year and he did, he started a character and gave up after appearing in korthos once finished the grotto.

His exact words were, this game looks outdated and nothing caught his interest, he never got to experience the better points of ddo and the better quest/area designs.

Might be, but show me one single MMO or RPG whose starter dungeon is anything but boring. Never seen one in 20 years. The good stuff always comes later.

Community Member

Default 0.o

When I was on my very first toon in this game. Korthos was anything but boring.
    IMHO, it's designed to show new players what is in store for them later in the game.
    There's a little bit of everything on Korthos. Even a very cool looking dragon.

And of course it's bound to get old for people that have run it over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    Because the best content in this game was developed within 2 years of its release, and the retreads of that content handedly outdo the new content being put out in most cases.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Players only ever need to run Korthos once. THey can then skip it and jump into the harbor if they wish.

Wait, you can buy your way past that too, and start playing VON flagging quests.....

Wait, you can buy your way past that too, and start playing Gianthold flagging quests....

Wait, you can buy your way past that too, and hit 20 by running Shroud flagging quests....
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    I believe you do not understand the OP
    I did understand it. However, as someone that was here January 2006 and plays regularly, I have seen two different changes to where new players are dropped off. You had smuggler's rest where you had quests designed for each class. Then you had the New Player Experience (Module 8) that added Korthos Island. The mistake is that tutorial does not teach you as much as the original smuggler's rest did.

Want to improve the new player experience? Allow them to immediately group with their friends without the two separate Korthos Island. After all they joined the game to play with friends. More incentive for referring friends is needed.

Id love to see race or class based started zones but also... I love Korthos :P If there was epic Korthos... mm Id definitely play it.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Because the best content in this game was developed within 2 years of its release, and the retreads of that content handedly outdo the new content being put out in most cases.
    And think of the sad commentary this is about a game that has been live since February 2006. Then again, this is the fault of the decision makers that are too lazy to come up with original designs. When a retread is done, not only should it be to update something, but things should be added.

Example. When the desert was redone for Epic. The places that looked like spots for future quests, should have been developed into new quests. Or Gianthold, don't send us to the exact same quests with minimal reworkings, give us new quests.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla93 View Post
    Id love to see race or class based started zones but also... I love Korthos :P If there was epic Korthos... mm Id definitely play it.
    original game had class based quest. there was one designed for rogues/rangers in spotting hidden walls, and a caster one which you learned to use a scroll.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Weeeellll, I like later quests like the Inspired Quarter and the Reign of Madness series.

Look, we are not always gonna like what they produce as quests (different strokes for different folks) and there is some re-use in elements we all see in quests from time to time. The problem was, is, and always will be producing enough *new* content to keep the game fresh for players, particularly older players or the power gamers who tear through content faster than kobolds through trash.

I maintain they could reinvigorate the game by giving DMs a "Foundry" type system where players can create content. Yes, you'll get bad, but you'll get good too. Many players love creating things - and creating their own dungeons would be a tremendous draw under the D&D umbrella in a game like this.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast