Results 1 to 20 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default Tempest - OTWF, TWB and TWD

    I just wanted to know wether the Oversized Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Blocking and Two Weapon Defense feats are worth taking.

    Oversized - Of course it depends on the playstyle, in my case I have started a Valenar Elf pure Tempest and plan to take this just because of double wielding scimitar of doom. Aside from the fact that I will take it just for the role, how good a choice is it? And when would I take it? What cases are there where this feat would be a good choice? Human with extra feat Khopesh prof? Why would I take it in what general cases and why not?

    Two Weapon Blocking - Are the two extra DR when blocking worth it? In what cases (not)?

    Two Weapon Defense - 1 AC and 5 PRR are not worth it, are they?

  2. #2
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    You're only gonna need this for a few more weeks.

    TWD is the best option, maybe Lightning Reflexes as I think that still works.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    You're only gonna need this for a few more weeks.
    Because of the upcoming update?
    TWD is the best option, maybe Lightning Reflexes as I think that still works.
    I assume you are talking about the feats needed fot Tempest III, wich was not the point of my question. I just want to know how viable the various feats are themselves, not as prerequisites for anything. Why is TWD better than OTWF?

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Previous name of Niwareka
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nimulos View Post

    <snip>
    Why is TWD better than OTWF?
    OTWF removes the penalty to hit with a heavy weapon your offhand. Note, it does NOT affect your offhand damage. But at high level you are likely to be hitting on a 2 anyway, so it has no effect. Even when it does ( high AC or Fort mobs) there are some tasty short-swords and kukris around so it is easy to switch to a light offhand weapon when required.

    AC and PRR are useful these days, so TWD helps a little. But blocking? When did you last block in an actual fight? Keep swinging and kill it quicker!

    Having said that, I would only use TWD if I didn't need the feat for something important.
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Niwareka (Sneaky Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Hitty Healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizzy)

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brunhildha View Post
    OTWF removes the penalty to hit with a heavy weapon your offhand. Note, it does NOT affect your offhand damage. But at high level you are likely to be hitting on a 2 anyway, so it has no effect. Even when it does ( high AC or Fort mobs) there are some tasty short-swords and kukris around so it is easy to switch to a light offhand weapon when required.

    AC and PRR are useful these days, so TWD helps a little. But blocking? When did you last block in an actual fight? Keep swinging and kill it quicker!

    Having said that, I would only use TWD if I didn't need the feat for something important.
    I don't entirely agree. With the changes to the combat system most toons still see glancing blows on rolls below about 5. OTWF is a significant increase in too hit, like +4 or +6 to each hand, so it's worth it IMO. The other 2, no chance. As was stated, there is rarely if ever an occasion to be blocking, especially as a TWF (and if you feel like you will, just have a shield to swap in). And no, 1 AC and 5 PRR are not worth a feat, not by a mile.

    My 12 rng / 8 ftr has around 21 feats before I TR'd, and still wanted about 5 more.... so I know there are no shortage of great and important feats to take.

  6. #6
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,283

    Default

    I think the value depends on what you are running/what level you are.

    OTWF is +2 to hit with both main hand and off hand. Under the new non-D&D combat system we've been burdened with, this will make a difference at lower levels (1-10 maybe), but very little difference at epic levels.

    TWD give +1 AC (which is only useful at the very lowest of levels), and +5 PRR which is only useful at the very highest levels (especially if you do EE, as the damage there is high).

    Lightning Reflexes can be nice at all level 9+ ranger in order to get the evasion to work (even) better.

    I would never, ever, take Two Weapon Blocking. The bonus is simply too situational for a feat slot.
    Last edited by Dandonk; 07-31-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    It's definitely an N-word.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    moo moo moo moo moo
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    I don't entirely agree. With the changes to the combat system most toons still see glancing blows on rolls below about 5. OTWF is a significant increase in too hit, like +4 or +6 to each hand, so it's worth it IMO. The other 2, no chance. As was stated, there is rarely if ever an occasion to be blocking, especially as a TWF (and if you feel like you will, just have a shield to swap in). And no, 1 AC and 5 PRR are not worth a feat, not by a mile.

    My 12 rng / 8 ftr has around 21 feats before I TR'd, and still wanted about 5 more.... so I know there are no shortage of great and important feats to take.
    OTWF does not do anything, when they changed the to hit anyone should be able to hit on a roll of 2.

  8. #8
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    I don't entirely agree. With the changes to the combat system most toons still see glancing blows on rolls below about 5.
    Glancing blows? That is for two handed weapons. With two weapon fighting you never see glancing blows, so oversized two weapon fighting won't apply to glancing blows anyway. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload