Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Soloing Chronosphere - Suggestions?

Okay, so I'll give a bit of background so you guys know what you are dealing with.

This is a personal challenge build. Pure solo character, he never groups. There is no twinking of any sort (he has to earn everything he gets personally). No using the AH. And (in general) no use of the DDO store is allowed (I've made a couple of exceptions to that rule, I did buy an extra inventory slot and a huge collectable bag off the store). The general idea is "No meta-gaming". Use of the shops is permitted.

The build is a warforged artificer repeating xbow specced. He is allowed to use the dog in quests, but no hirelings (unless required by game mechanics for completing the quest, such as floor plates or simultaneous lever pulls and whatnot, e.g. Xorian Cipher). He is allowed to craft (crafting skills all in the low 40s at this point).

As far as questing goes I run all level X equivalent quests at a time. For instance, if I were running all the level 5 quests, I would run all level 3 quests on Elite, all level 4 quests on Hard, all level 5 quests on Normal, and all level 7 quests on Casual. All quests are run exactly one time at each level of difficulty (so usually 4 times per quest, once on Casual, Normal, Hard, and Elite). Once I run all the quests equivalencies at that level, I move on to the next level.

Oh, and he is allowed to level up as soon as he has the XP. There is no need to wait until he's finished all the quests at that level (so yeah, in general I'm running quests below his level by quite a bit. It makes up for his crappy equipment somewhat, hehe).

Alright, so I was blowing through content no problem. And then I hit the level 6 equivalent quests. I blew through all of those, and then came to Chronosphere (on Normal, there is no Casual for this quest). I knew this would be a challenge, being a raid and all. And of course it was. I've tried it three times now, and I've failed each time (in fact, it is the first time I've died in a quest, if I were playing PD, that would have been where I ended). The character is level 11, almost 12.

My problem, I think, is I just don't have enough DPS. I can kill the bearded devils one on one, and even two on one. But inevitably there comes a point where I have to take on two of them (along with their minions) and then a flying devil joins in (I forget what those are called) and I'm doomed. I'm just not taking them down fast enough, and they wear me down. Especially if one of those damn minions lands a stun on me. I can't keep up with the healing and shooting fast enough, heh. And I haven't even seen the boss mobs yet.

Any suggestions? I'm using a heavy repeater (holy /lesser evil outsider bane) with +3 conjured bolts. I have the ability to craft an evil outsider shard, but not the raw materials (requires a medium demon scale, which I don't have any ability to get that I know of).

For defense, I have a very crappy AC (you don't want to know). I'm using a Fearsome Docent of Invulnerability that I crafted (which does help, the devils will hit me then run away in fear while I plug them with my repeater). I have a 10 point fire resistance ring, and 4% PRR. I could respec in a Mithral (or Adamantine) Body feat, but then I worry about that arcane failure rate, and would the extra AC really help me anyway?

This is the last of the level 6 equivalent quests I have to do before moving on to level 7. I'm getting ready to skip it and move on, since I don't really have any new ideas on how to advance in this quest. But I thought I would ask in case I'm missing something. What would you guys suggest?
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

I think it depends on how much you need to feel complete your list. Chronoscope is probably one of the easier at level raids to solo. If you feel you need to complete all quests including raids, then you have some tough raids ahead of you. I personally would exclude all raids from the list, but that's just me.

If you're still intent on finishing this up, then I suggest you do everything within your means to gear up as much as you can and keep at it. It's not an impossible challenge, especially on normal, but it will be tougher than most other level 6 quests. I make the assumption that you're playing it on normal. If you're struggling on elite solo with a level 12 toon then I have no suggestions as you've probably made it further than I would bother to in that quest.

I'm not sure how much you've invested in spellcasting, but found blast rod + maximize + empower quite useful in that level range, though it sucks down your SP very fast. Do you use strictly repeater? Or would you be willing to pull out a 2 hander for when 3 or more mobs come in close? I'd think that might cut through them a bit faster if you get surrounded.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

I know you can stealth invisable the market parts.

You don't really have to fight all of those devils....just zerg past them all to the nearest tevern/bank/steam tunnels. That being said, the fight in the bank mght be a challenge for you if your having trouble outside. Then of course there is the conjoined abishai. You might need to just to chalk this one up as a win for sully and his crew.

Community Member

At level?
    That's gonna be one tough road to hoe.
    As someone already mentioned, you can inviz and zerg from one point to another.
    But that boss fight in the bank.
    That seems like it would be nigh impossible to solo at lvl.
    If you do whup its butt, you will have bragging rights forever.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    You don't really have to fight all of those devils....just zerg past them all to the nearest tevern/bank/steam tunnels. That being said, the fight in the bank mght be a challenge for you if your having trouble outside. Then of course there is the conjoined abishai. You might need to just to chalk this one up as a win for sully and his crew.
    Yeah, perhaps so. At least until I can find/craft some better equipment. I bet I'd have a lot easier time if I could replace that lesser evil outsider bane with a regular outsider bane (just need to loot a medium devil scale somewhere). Or if I could find a heavy repeater with a red augment slot that I could craft into a devil/demon beater. Something that gives me a little more punch. Maybe a little more elemental (fire) protection than I currently have.

Okay, I'll skip it for a few levels and start on the level 7 stuff. Thanks guys.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Okay, so I'll give a bit of background so you guys know what you are dealing with.

This is a personal challenge build. Pure solo character, he never groups. There is no twinking of any sort (he has to earn everything he gets personally). No using the AH. And (in general) no use of the DDO store is allowed (I've made a couple of exceptions to that rule, I did buy an extra inventory slot and a huge collectable bag off the store). The general idea is "No meta-gaming". Use of the shops is permitted.

The build is a warforged artificer repeating xbow specced. He is allowed to use the dog in quests, but no hirelings (unless required by game mechanics for completing the quest, such as floor plates or simultaneous lever pulls and whatnot, e.g. Xorian Cipher). He is allowed to craft (crafting skills all in the low 40s at this point).
    If he is allowed to craft, then why no twinking? Just a question. Not 100% sure that your definition of the word is the same as mine.

Alright, so I was blowing through content no problem. And then I hit the level 6 equivalent quests. I blew through all of those, and then came to Chronosphere (on Normal, there is no Casual for this quest). I knew this would be a challenge, being a raid and all. And of course it was. I've tried it three times now, and I've failed each time (in fact, it is the first time I've died in a quest, if I were playing PD, that would have been where I ended). The character is level 11, almost 12.
    Because the quest is geared for 12 people as opposed to your average party of 6. Hence, it can get very ugly, really quick.

My problem, I think, is I just don't have enough DPS. I can kill the bearded devils one on one, and even two on one. But inevitably there comes a point where I have to take on two of them (along with their minions) and then a flying devil joins in (I forget what those are called) and I'm doomed. I'm just not taking them down fast enough, and they wear me down. Especially if one of those damn minions lands a stun on me. I can't keep up with the healing and shooting fast enough, heh. And I haven't even seen the boss mobs yet.
    Stealth the marketplace. Use sneak a lot and pull mobs one by one. It is VERY possible to do after you get past the first fight. Your biggest concern is keeping an eye on the sky, and taking out the flying Abashai as soon as they are in range. High elemental resistances are helpful with them.

Stealth and a high Spot score are very helpful in the marketplace. Even mediocre scores in stealth can be beneficial.

Any suggestions? I'm using a heavy repeater (holy /lesser evil outsider bane) with +3 conjured bolts. I have the ability to craft an evil outsider shard, but not the raw materials (requires a medium demon scale, which I don't have any ability to get that I know of).
    You’re trying to bare-knuckle it with the devils, by trying to inflict more damage on them in a toe-to-toe fight than they inflict on you. See if you can get a stat-damager xbow, or something like a paralyzer (I think that might be out of your level range) to paralyze them or disable them while your bolts are doing damage. As I mentioned before, these might be out of your level range, but it might be helpful to check.

For defense, I have a very crappy AC (you don't want to know). I'm using a Fearsome Docent of Invulnerability that I crafted (which does help, the devils will hit me then run away in fear while I plug them with my repeater). I have a 10 point fire resistance ring, and 4% PRR. I could respec in a Mithral (or Adamantine) Body feat, but then I worry about that arcane failure rate, and would the extra AC really help me anyway?
    AC is no longer king – it’s AC and PRR. Plus, you’re coming into range of being able to access 100% fortification items. Fortification items mitigate critical hits, which is where you’re probably getting hammered the most.

Also, the best defense against taking damage is having something else take aggro for you. Turrents are a GREAT source of aggro management, as are pets and summons (to an extent). The latter is much harder to control in the course of a quest (well, maybe not a pet, but definitely a summon).

That being said, if you are having issues and not clearing the marketplace fairly easily, you’re gonna get CREAMED when you get to Bloodplate. Because that fight is going to incorporate the same kinds of trash mobs, casters, those stupid armorers, and a purple-named boss with a gabazillion HP. Razor Bow (I think he is called), if you range him from a tiny ledge near the stairs is much easier for an arti to manage (I’ve seen them do it).

Sounds like a gear problem......

Yeah, perhaps so. At least until I can find/craft some better equipment. I bet I'd have a lot easier time if I could replace that lesser evil outsider bane with a regular outsider bane (just need to loot a medium devil scale somewhere). Or if I could find a heavy repeater with a red augment slot that I could craft into a devil/demon beater. Something that gives me a little more punch. Maybe a little more elemental (fire) protection than I currently have.

Okay, I'll skip it for a few levels and start on the level 7 stuff. Thanks guys.
    Try and get yourself a pair of firestorm greaves they drop in the sands of mechranum explorer and have 33% fire absorption. http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Firestorm_Greaves

What is your umd as fire shield scrolls could offer some protection also...how is your self healing? That would be a huge help too..

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    If he is allowed to craft, then why no twinking? Just a question. Not 100% sure that your definition of the word is the same as mine.
    Crafting is something he can do on his own, it's a skill that has to be developed, so he's earned the items in question. Whereas being given gifts is not something he's earned. It's all about self-sufficiency (which ties in with the whole soloing challenge thing). Does that make sense? I know it seems a bit arbitrary, but it makes logical sense to me

You’re trying to bare-knuckle it with the devils, by trying to inflict more damage on them in a toe-to-toe fight than they inflict on you. See if you can get a stat-damager xbow, or something like a paralyzer (I think that might be out of your level range) to paralyze them or disable them while your bolts are doing damage. As I mentioned before, these might be out of your level range, but it might be helpful to check.
    Cool, I'll check on that. Perhaps I can craft shards for them (and yeah, it's likely out of my crafting range right now, but it could be something to work toward). Or perhaps something in an Augment. I'll take a look.

AC is no longer king – it’s AC and PRR. Plus, you’re coming into range of being able to access 100% fortification items. Fortification items mitigate critical hits, which is where you’re probably getting hammered the most.
    I have 100% fort, so unless they have some kind of fort reduction, they shouldn't be critcalling me. Currently I have an augment with 4 PRR. As soon as I hit level 12 (very shortly), I'll upgrade that to 8 (I should have the collectables to turn in for that).

That being said, if you are having issues and not clearing the marketplace fairly easily, you’re gonna get CREAMED when you get to Bloodplate. Because that fight is going to incorporate the same kinds of trash mobs, casters, those stupid armorers, and a purple-named boss with a gabazillion HP. Razor Bow (I think he is called), if you range him from a tiny ledge near the stairs is much easier for an arti to manage (I’ve seen them do it).
    Yeah, that's kind of what I figure too. If I'm having trouble out in the marketplace, I have no shot in the bank. I have to reach a point where I can cruise through the outside or there is no point in trying to go further in, I think

Thanks for the advice. I'll work on it. I'm gong to do the level 7 stuff and see what kind of loot I pull that might help out.

Crafting is something he can do on his own, it's a skill that has to be developed, so he's earned the items in question. Whereas being given gifts is not something he's earned. It's all about self-sufficiency (which ties in with the whole soloing challenge thing). Does that make sense? I know it seems a bit arbitrary, but it makes logical sense to me
    Yeah, I still don't get that.

I see that you're going to craft shards for an xbow, so that sorta answers my question.

And it's good you got 100% fort. I don't recall reading that in your post, which can be a HUGE factor in some of these quests.

I personally wouldn't give up on soloing Chrono. Try using some of the techniques I mentioned to see if you can clear the marketplace.

Another thing: the level you're at you're also getting into Banisher territory. Having a banishing repeater xbow on an arti is basically like a devil-scrubber. I don't recall if the devils in that quest have deathblock on them (which prevents the effect from going off) but you might want to give it a try.

I don't believe the tieflings can be banished (I usually run my wizzy, and FoD them instead of Dismiss or Banish) as they are not extra-planar I don't think. But you might want to give it a try. I believe the Abashai can also be banished.

It has been a while since I've run heroic Chrono with anything that wasn't a wizzy.

A deception repeater could help out a LOT. When it procs the critter in question will turn its back on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Suggestions that might help.

1. When doing a raid solo and the "Direct Approach" is not a viable option - Avoid direct conflicts and move towards completion objectives
    2. When gear is less of an asset utilize buffs - with the quests your run it is possible that you have opened up a few House Buff options. 30 minutes of certain buffs can help make up where gear lets you down. And since you "Earned" the right to use these I think they fall in your criteria.
    3. Scrolls and Wands and Potions - Utilize these buffs as much as possible. As an Artificer one of the most powerful abilities you have is the Scroll Mastery which can turn a 30 second scroll into something more. Displacement and invisibility as well as other buffs can come in handy.

I personally wouldn't give up on soloing Chrono. Try using some of the techniques I mentioned to see if you can clear the marketplace.
    I won't give up on it. I'll do it eventually. Just maybe not right now. I think I'm lacking in the proper equipment.

Another thing: the level you're at you're also getting into Banisher territory. Having a banishing repeater xbow on an arti is basically like a devil-scrubber. I don't recall if the devils in that quest have deathblock on them (which prevents the effect from going off) but you might want to give it a try.
    Yeah, a banisher would be awesome! Sadly, you can't craft them, so it's a matter of finding one. Or buying one from the pawn shop (I looked after you suggested it, no luck). Not many people use the pawn shops anymore since the arrival of the AH and cannith crafting came along. But I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll get lucky and loot one, hehe.

I ran some of the level 7 stuff this afternoon (level 5 quests on elite to be precise). Leveled up to 12. Had no issues except in "A Small Problem" (the one with Brawnpits). When I went for the air altar, I got owned by the tiefling seers on the way. I had forgotten they were there in Elite (they don't show up in other difficulties), and I wasn't prepared for them. So that's the second quest where I died. But that one at least won't be a problem now that I know to be ready for them for the next time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron;505d3470

Yeah, that's kind of what I figure too. If I'm having trouble out in the marketplace, I have no shot in the bank. I have to reach a point where I can cruise through the outside or there is no point in trying to go further in, I think

Thanks for the advice. I'll work on it. I'm gong to do the level 7 stuff and see what kind of loot I pull that might help out.

I do not think this is true. I think you should be able to kite around in the bank, out side you are not able to kite. On that note fearsome might be hindering you because it will draw more aggro towards you as they run pass other mobs. A Paralyzing crossbow would be the ticket like mention above.
    Last edited by Junk; 07-30-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Perhaps farming explorer areas might help you find gear while fitting in with your level progression through quests? Rares tend to have some nice gear in chests.

ETA: and play Chrono as though you were a squishy rogue.
    Last edited by Tscheuss; 07-31-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Solo advice
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Perhaps farming explorer areas might help you find gear while fitting in with your level progression through quests? Rares tend to have some nice gear in chests.
    I run the explorers in sort of the same way I run the quests, by level. So I'm working through Searing Heights and Sorrow-Dusk right now. I only get to kill each rare one time (or, if for some reason I HAVE to kill a rare a subsequent time, I'm not allowed to reloot their chest). I'm really not allowed to "farm", per se. So up through now the loot I am getting right now is around what you would expect from level 7(ish) loot, pretty low for a level 12 character. And very low for a character that would normally farm for what they want (or buy it off the AH).

Sometimes this can be a pain (e.g. I ran Dirk's Secret the four times I'm allowed, and Muck never showed up, so I never got a muck bane weapon, which is a bummer for a low level character). But them's the rules. The loot that I get is the loot that I get, and I have to deal with what I've got, or can build myself with the materials I have scrounged up.

ETA: and play Chrono as though you were a squishy rogue.
    Yeah, I can try, but I don't sneak very well (any number of images of a bull trying to sneak through a china shop come to mind). And I can't just zerg through the marketplace either. Also against the rules (I'm required to do all optionals whenever possible, and there is an optional in the marketplace for that quest).

I can already hear you guys moaning about my rule set Every time I mention the rules of how I play this kind of character I get waves of criticism. Just keep in mind, I set up these "self-sufficiency" rules for a challenge, just to see if I could do it. Because it's there. If I hadn't, I would have left DDO years ago. I find pugging pretty boring, and frankly, very unsatisfying (I hate zerging quests, which is essentially what just about every pug I've ever been in is all about). I have a static group I play with, but that's only once a week. But I do really enjoy the game (the quests, the mechanics, the intricacies of the character builds), and this keeps me playing it. So don't ***** about my rules

I have no complaints about your rules, and sneak isn't the only roguish tactic.

I was thinking about pulling mobs, setting up combat near portal points so you can step away if needed, find good sniping nests, etc. Also, I would take advantage of the 15 min. reset on shrines in Normal.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Yeah, I can try, but I don't sneak very well (any number of images of a bull trying to sneak through a china shop come to mind). And I can't just zerg through the marketplace either. Also against the rules (I'm required to do all optionals whenever possible, and there is an optional in the marketplace for that quest).
    I can effectively sneak with my heavy-armor paladin…well, kinda. It doesn’t really require a high sneak skill, but a healthy Spot skill makes the task much easier. You sneak to remain as undetected as you can, but also stop when you are in visual range of the mobs. This way you can assess the situation and figure out which ones to attack first, or pull without alarming the others. Or you can monitor their patrol paths to figure out when to hit them when they are out of sight from the rest of the group.

I do it when I solo my rogue (which is rare, but I do it). It may take some time, but it is highly effective.

I can already hear you guys moaning about my rule set Every time I mention the rules of how I play this kind of character I get waves of criticism. Just keep in mind, I set up these "self-sufficiency" rules for a challenge, just to see if I could do it. Because it's there. If I hadn't, I would have left DDO years ago. I find pugging pretty boring, and frankly, very unsatisfying (I hate zerging quests, which is essentially what just about every pug I've ever been in is all about). I have a static group I play with, but that's only once a week. But I do really enjoy the game (the quests, the mechanics, the intricacies of the character builds), and this keeps me playing it. So don't ***** about my rules
    The beauty of solo is that you can play the game however you want. I don’t really have an issue with your rules. I just was confused on what you considered “twinking.” No big deal on my end.

Stealth and a high Spot score are very helpful in the marketplace. Even mediocre scores in stealth can be beneficial.

twinking for one probably means getting gear from stuff he already has. he is trying to actually use the game for what its worth and not using other toons or ah to progress. he is actually doing a challenge. so for him its fun for others maybe not.

now as for spot meh he doesnt need it in there to see them. there is another way. in advance graphics setting the first option put it on ultra high. only one you need. you will see mobs from thousands of miles away. *sarcastic* But no really you can see them a lot farther and start pew pew without a need for spot :P now if he wants it for traps or the sneaky mobs now that is a different story.

Actually a lot of people don't know that it will help them see mobs from farther away. its great for a ranged toon, caster, or even a melee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast