Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Why do some people think the game is dying? Somebody posted numbers from the DDO oracle recently & it looks like there are many people playing. I'm curious where this comes from. I check the who's on quite frequently (Ghallanda) & there never seems to be a lack of players.

Is everyone playing not paying? How do you people know this?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    If they can make you grind EDs more, that's more $ for them.
    The big if is, will we (or many of us) grind EDs more or just stop grinding (and paying) altogether. For me, losing destiny xp on TR is the inflection point where DDO goes from play time I'll pay for to something I boot up once in a while on a capped toon for the sake of some free nostalgia. I don't care how they try to wrap it up in terms of "compensation". They'll have reneged on an explicit statement. I'll just be curious to see whether it ends up affecting the game population as much as I think it might, I could be wrong.

It's fair to wait and see what is uncovered from the beta and so on. I'm not really bothered by the enhancement pass, where some are quite upset, which is ironic - I'm one of the players willing to embrace the idea of new builds and new ways to play my character across lives but now even that appears ruined by the xp loss and repeat penalty foolishness.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tevain View Post
    regarding that pic of Glins twitter, I guess he is talking about people that have fully capped out each single destiney, level 5 AND the last 4 bubbles aka 1 xp short of the not reachable "level 6"

when we players talk about having our destinies capped, we talk about having the one or maybe two destinies we use capped that way and the rest just into level 5 with no bubbles since lvl 5 is all that counts for fate points.
    Yep, this is good to point out (although if you really need to point it out ie Turbine really believes 8 capped characters is an accurate assessment, well then we are in serious trouble...)

My main monk toon is the perfect example. To me he is "capped", but really I'm sure there are a couple of destinies (like Magister) that may only be at level 4 or whatever. There's simply no compelling reason for me to bother finishing them. Provide an incentive for "true capping" (eg. a reward list with +4 tomes or something) and I'm sure that "8" Glin mentioned will become "800" over a weekend.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    People are focused on this twitter comment, and they have every reason to be.
    It's a waste of time and a distraction running around trying to collect what amounts to signatures to prove the guy was wrong about the number "8". It's twitter, the outlet that encourages short outbursts with no verbal or facial expressive context to go with them. If he hates players then proving him wrong wont amount to anything and is a waste of time. If, more likely, he made a quick flippant response without self moderating or thinking in public relation terms, then it's much ado about a gaffe, beating a dead horse, also a waste of time.

Better to spend that effort continuing to hold them accountable for proposing/planning to renege on prior statements and pointing out how such decisions work to the detriment of player enjoyment and willingness to play/pay into the game; pointing out how those changes have no positive results and only negative outcomes for some, most or all players.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    The big if is, will we (or many of us) grind EDs more or just stop grinding (and paying) altogether. For me, losing destiny xp on TR is the inflection point where DDO goes from play time I'll pay for to something I boot up once in a while on a capped toon for the sake of some free nostalgia. I don't care how they try to wrap it up in terms of "compensation". They'll have reneged on an explicit statement. I'll just be curious to see whether it ends up affecting the game population as much as I think it might, I could be wrong.

It's fair to wait and see what is uncovered from the beta and so on. I'm not really bothered by the enhancement pass, where some are quite upset, which is ironic - I'm one of the players willing to embrace the idea of new builds and new ways to play my character across lives but now even that appears ruined by the xp loss and repeat penalty foolishness.
    My other issue with the idea of only letting us keep 1 ED on TR is that Turbine is trying to dictate how we play our characters. Some people might naturally do 1 ED and then TR; some might TR before doing any EDs and some prefer to do a lot / all EDs at one time. Why is it necessary to force us all down one path?

Quote Originally Posted by rjbutchko View Post
    Only 8 people in the game have maxed destinies? WOOT!!! I'm one of them!!! Now we just need four more of you slackers to max out your EDs as well so we can raid!!!
    Sweet!!! I'm one of the eight also
    Cannith - Sorrion - Glassbones - Galodon - Farsnipe
    Sarlona - Glassbones

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I play some DDO in my off time, without a doubt.

For a while, I played with a static TR group on a daily basis but my free time has become less free as of late so that ended up stopping.

I certainly enjoy my 3rd life rogue assassin.
    Can you write what you think about tr wiping all your ed xp?

It's a waste of time and a distraction running around trying to collect what amounts to signatures to prove the guy was wrong about the number "8". It's twitter, the outlet that encourages short outbursts with no verbal or facial expressive context to go with them. If he hates players then proving him wrong wont amount to anything and is a waste of time. If, more likely, he made a quick flippant response without self moderating or thinking in public relation terms, then it's much ado about a gaffe, beating a dead horse, also a waste of time.

Better to spend that effort continuing to hold them accountable for proposing/planning to renege on prior statements and pointing out how such decisions work to the detriment of player enjoyment and willingness to play/pay into the game; pointing out how those changes have no positive results and only negative outcomes for some, most or all players.
    Well his statement and proposed changes of losing ed xp when tr makes it seem like he is serious and doesnt know what is going on in game.
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 07-30-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    My other issue with the idea of only letting us keep 1 ED on TR is that Turbine is trying to dictate how we play our characters. Some people might naturally do 1 ED and then TR; some might TR before doing any EDs and some prefer to do a lot / all EDs at one time. Why is it necessary to force us all down one path?
    Exactly - the theme of "play our way" seems to keep cropping up, as with the repeat penalty stuff as well. An MMO to me is a great engine for determining what players enjoy simply by looking at game play behavior. When some segment of a player base engages in a repeat activity over and over (and lets qualify with non exploitative activity) to me that is not a bad thing but a demonstration that the MMO has offered an activity that is preferred by those players, it keeps them in game and keeps them coming back. Why in the world do the MMO producers then decide they want to curtail or demotivate that preferred activity?

I can understand that only if the activity causes a loss for the MMO, but in the case of repeated "farming" of quests, join any such lfm and observe the number of players running 10, 20, 30, and now 50% xp pots. There aren't enough eberron shards around to account for that, these players are clearly investing $$$ in the activity - even the ones who do not pay for a true heart when they TR.

If you demotivate a preferred activity then you better have an alternative activity that can replace the enjoyment factor, or the only conclusion to me is a drop in overall player activity. Which is why even putting myself in profit making Turbine shoes I cannot understand the xp loss and repeat penalty proposals. They have to be betting that a smaller segment of players are willing to suffer those changes and still pay more into the game per player to cover the players who will decrease their investment or leave altogether.

Hero

As I mentioned in another thread. It has nothing to do with if he meant completely capped or or just 5 levels and whether he was right or wrong. Those boil down to semantics. As the person who originally took and posted the SS, and talked to him via twitter (I am not the person in the SS, but I had many "back-and-fourths"). He was indeed smug, pompous and fairly disconnected. Almost to a point that our concerns were amusing to him. If you choose to pick and choose what you hold people accountable for, that's perfectly fine.

But one bad apple can spoil the bunch. And since he's near the top of the food chain at Turbine for DDO, it can and does trickle down.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    If you choose to pick and choose what you hold people accountable for, that's perfectly fine.
    Well, good luck getting anywhere productive by continuing to tear into his "tweet".

Hero

Well, good luck getting anywhere productive by continuing to tear into his "tweet".
    I don't have an agenda. People a constantly asking "what are they thinking when they do things like this". This "tweet" isn't an answer, it's a piece of the puzzle. An insight. A smart person would go to twitter and read the rest of the conversation that deals with it and make their own conclusions.

Where do you think this culture of reneging and double talk comes from? Could it be a Senior Producer who might be perceived as someone who doesn't care?

More change has occurred by a simple "mis-tweet"/ post on social media in this world than by petitions and pointing out the obvious.
    Last edited by Drwaz99; 07-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread. It has nothing to do with if he meant completely capped or or just 5 levels and whether he was right or wrong. Those boil down to semantics. As the person who originally took and posted the SS, and talked to him via twitter (I am not the person in the SS, but I had many "back-and-fourths"). He was indeed smug, pompous and fairly disconnected. Almost to a point that our concerns were amusing to him. If you choose to pick and choose what you hold people accountable for, that's perfectly fine.

But one bad apple can spoil the bunch. And since he's near the top of the food chain at Turbine for DDO, it can and does trickle down.
    Just to be clear, although you probably already saw it if you've read his Twitter feed: Producer Glin quickly clarified that he was talking about the number of people capping out all Epic Destiny Past Life feats under the then-proposed Epic TR system, essentially commenting that he expected few to achieve that goal by the time if/when the level cap was raised from 28.

That said, that is enough about harassing one of our producers over a minor Twitter post made almost a month ago. Any further discussion about this post will be treated as harassment against a Turbine employee and dealt with as deemed appropriate.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that this thread has quickly provided further proof about why it's generally not a good idea to comment about personal playstyles as an employee. This thread was obviously not meant to discuss playing the game as an employee, but was rather meant to push personal agendas such as Epic Elite monster saves in Fall of Truth along with further underscoring the frequent feedback that's been given about the Epic Destiny True Reincarnation, which incidentally is still some time away from being in a state to discuss further.

Since this thread has now been used too frequently to harass Turbine employees, and has veered far off topic from the OP, it is now closed.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 07-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234