Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    EE is tough as mobs have a ton of HPs and hit like a truck (as they should) the problem however is the mobs saves are insane, leading to the mantra "that if it has a DC, it won't work in EE".

Can we please reduce the saves of EE mobs to reasonable values?
    You should understand that EE was made really difficult as a direct result of forumites asking for more difficult content. I doubt that they're going to make it less difficult now.
    Last edited by HAL; 07-30-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    You should understand that EE was made really difficult as a direct result of forumites asking for more difficult content. I doubt that they're going to make it less difficult now.
    That would be fine if there wouldn't be so huge gap between EH and EE.

Because right all you need to solo EH is divine hireling.

IMO difficulty shouldn't be about nerfing all tactics that are not pure DPS.

regarding that pic of Glins twitter, I guess he is talking about people that have fully capped out each single destiney, level 5 AND the last 4 bubbles aka 1 xp short of the not reachable "level 6"

when we players talk about having our destinies capped, we talk about having the one or maybe two destinies we use capped that way and the rest just into level 5 with no bubbles since lvl 5 is all that counts for fate points.
    Desnol / Qerasuul / Lornkhal / Khazdar - Soko Irrlicht, Orien

Quote Originally Posted by rjbutchko View Post
    Only 8 people in the game have maxed destinies? WOOT!!! I'm one of them!!! Now we just need four more of you slackers to max out your EDs as well so we can raid!!!

me too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I'm curious on this, lets call your dev time command ability killall for ease of the conversation.

A kill all command would let you test if a door opens when a mob dies for example, but it doesn't really allow for you to get the feel for how fast the quest can move with a good or bad group, how tough the fight is, if the saves are set appropriately, etc.

Part of the problem in dev conversations is it feels like all you guys play is your "dev time" accounts on testing builds because of some of the (what seems to us) nonsensical decisions you've made. There have been a lot of examples of this lately:

Wiping ED xp on heroic tr
    Secret Door changes
    Parts of the XP pass (don't want to say more because of nda)
    Protection Tree
    Alpha versions of pally and ranger not getting devotion, I'd add to this animal form druids still haven't gotten any last I've seen

and finally eegh saves.

You put the eegh saves to the point where taking a non shiradi arcane is always a worse choice than another melee blitzer or fotw. There are people that put a lot of work into their dc casters to run them at the highest level and now dc casting is basically a gimp build at the highest levels.

All of this leads to the impression that the dev's don't play the game at all except on killall dev accounts. It may be that it's just your bosses that don't play and you don't really have any say in the matter about any of it. But that is the impression you've given to the playerbase the last six months ish especially.
    If you want to talk about nonsensical decisions, I'm still trying to understand many of the now-ancient decisions that never made sense. Things like:

1. Possibly in response to forum discussion about stat-damage being overpowered, simultaneously change the result of what stat=0 means for a mob while at the same time giving mobs a 90% stat-damage shield for a significant portion of the game. If the goal wasn't to make stat-damage useless, then what was it?

2. With much forum debate still occurring about the nightmare property (some saying it was overpowered, some saying it was reasonable given rarity of items, etc...), demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the entire discussion by introducing nightmare as a general weapon property....then realize it is totally overpowered and nerf it to oblivion....but don't do anything to prevent the nerf from obsoleting the 2 previous named items having that property. (Personally I get a little disgusted when devs do things that seem completely "disrespectful" to players time spent in-game.)

3. Ignore forumites pleas to "remove the randomness" of the reaver's reach dragontouched armor system for several years, then finally decide a change is needed only once this armor really isn't that mind-blowing and no one really cares about that content anymore.

4. Possibly in response to player's pleas to make the original collectibles relevant again (or I could argue for once), introduce a new system for these turn-ins but make the numbers needed and some of the rewards so ridiculous as to make a huge segment of the playerbase (including myself) still say "why bother with collectibles?" (not to mention the DDO store connection)

I'm sure there is a ton of other examples of ridiculous things that have occurred over the years. "Devs don't get it" is the result of the shear number of head-scratcher decisions that have been made.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Also, most of my game time is pugging.
    You can always tell when you're playing with a Dev when they type but hear well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    He's actually not a developer, he's a Senior Producer. Basically (maybe not directly) their boss.
    Thats all the same for me, dev=turbine staff.

To be fair, I doubt you Turbine people actually play your game at all. Wail wouldn't have stayed broken for so long, and it and Implosion still wouldn't be having target issues by now if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    this leads to the impression that the dev's don't play the game at all except on killall dev accounts.
    We have no special commands on live at all that normal players don't have. There's no invincibility being used. There's no instant "YOU DIE NOW" button. All of us who have TRs and Epic characters got there through normal gameplay.

(FYI: We are given free VIP.)

Hero

We have no special commands on live at all that normal players don't have. There's no invincibility being used. There's no instant "YOU DIE NOW" button. All of us who have TRs and Epic characters got there through normal gameplay.

Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Inconceivable!
    You keep using that word, I do not....wait, never mind, you are using it correctly.

Carry on.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tevain View Post
    regarding that pic of Glins twitter, I guess he is talking about people that have fully capped out each single destiney, level 5 AND the last 4 bubbles aka 1 xp short of the not reachable "level 6"

when we players talk about having our destinies capped, we talk about having the one or maybe two destinies we use capped that way and the rest just into level 5 with no bubbles since lvl 5 is all that counts for fate points.
    People are too hung up about this flippant twitter remark, granted it rubs a lot of players the wrong way and comes off as disrespectful. Worrying whether it's more than 8 or what he really meant is a distraction.

Whether fully maxed, only five dotted, or whatever, it is irrefutable that a high percentage of players have been working on increasing their epic destinies to any extent under the belief that their time (and perhaps $$$) investment in their characters would carry over if and when they wanted to replay a life through true reincarnation. That belief is based on direct statements from Turbine that epic destiny xp would remain intact across TR.

The real issue isn't whether Turbine's decision makers are socially inept or sharing accurate figures, it's whether they intend to put the lie to their own words by going 180 on the prior commitment they made to players. Keep putting pressure on them to stay true to the prior statements they made which players have been basing their playtime and game spending around.

Quote Originally Posted by advena13 View Post
    Just a moment of pause... not only did a dev respond, but two devs have responded. To me, that at least means they are listening to us. What they can do is limited to what they can do. They are devs. They do not own, nor do they run to company. They do what they can do, I believe, to make this a better game for all of us. No, they most likely do not have capped toons on every server. They have lives beyond this game. The sad fact is that the vets who log into this forum DEMAND that every dev have at least one capped toon with every capped ED with all twists on every server out there.

Ladies and gentle folk... this is a very large game. It is convoluted mess of code that, in all reality, probably shouldn't function at all. The games funding is probably nil, since we are not much of a revenue source... I mean seriously, Warner Brothers owns the game. We aren't even a blip on their monthly charts. We're a fringe group of folks who they lose money on. No, I can not back up that statement with facts or numbers... but good lord, get a grip of yourself. It's Warner Brothers. We're D&D (sort of). We are not enough of a revenue source to even put the gas into one of these devs tanks. They keep the game around because it has a strong fan base that is willing to pay money with the potential to someday reap some benefit.

I'm a VIP player. I pay my monthly dues, every single month for one reason, and one reason only. I love this game. I don't give a rats ass about what perks I might get. That is icing on the awesome cake I already have, and that is this game. The cold hard truth is that this game can be gone in an instant. The very moment that those on high decide that we are more of a loss than they can bear, the game will be gone.

We have two ways to communicate with those who decide to hear us. The devs, who obviously hear, but are limited to what they can do, and our wallets. Griping to devs can help, if worded like a civil human being. Closing our wallets ends the game.

Just a moment of pause. The griping and bickering can now continue.
    This a 101%.

The game is on life support since update 16 or so, simply because it´s not giving much profit anymore. Long term bugs, poor quest developement (Shadowfell Conspiracy f2p quests are just lousy, in design, story, loot, whatever is your pick), lack or long periods of time to make new content/end game (epic GH may have some good loot, but it´s just a revamp to epic, not "new" content but for FoT), selling an update as an expansion, are, imo, a clear indication that DDO is no good business.

I think WB came to squeeze all the money it can with little investment to the game. My guess is that the number of people working on the game has decreased significantly in the last year. And nothing is going to change that: the game is old, there are a lot of new games around and a huge investment would only bring back a couple hundreds of vets, no new players. The only reason DDO is still on its feet is because it´s one of a kind MMO and it has a faithful core of players attached to 3.5 D&D and/or the best character customization and replay value there´s around. But don´t fool yourselves: it´s slowly (faster this last months) dwindling. The only thing i can think of that could make it thrive again would be to make it known to a big D&D fanbase somewhere that hasn´t heard of it yet (¿Africa? ¿South America? ¿China? ¿India?).

So, instead of complaining for bugs that wont ever be solved, try to enjoy the game as much and for as long as you can. Don´t take it on devs or other employees (Cordovan is a really nice guy) that can´t do squat about it.

And expend on DDO all the money you think it´s still worth it. I´m not buying the new expansion pack, but i won´t cancel my vip subscription either.

I love this game. I´m going to play it till the servers shut down or the bugs are so big they come out from my PC and try a bite at my arse.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nahiz View Post
    So, instead of complaining for bugs that wont ever be solved, try to enjoy the game as much and for as long as you can. Don´t take it on devs or other employees (Cordovan is a really nice guy) that can´t do squat about it.
    I don't think most people griping are under the illusion that this game gets the care and investment of a triple a title. I personally have no issue paying into something I get value out of. What boggles me is why, given a scenario where the game arguably appeals only to a niche core player base, mostly willing to stay loyal as long as the game runs, we have decision makers proposing player infuriating ideas like lose-all-your-epic-xp on TR and rapid repeat penalty accumulation.

I keep trying to figure out if the DDO of the next 6-12 months will be the DDO of keep your tomes across TR and LR+20 tokens for the enhancement pass, or the DDO of throw away all your epic destiny character investment and make it even harder to reinvest in your characters. I'll keep paying for the former DDO. Not the latter.

What dreadfully boring it'd be to run around with a killall command. What's the point of even playing in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    I don't think most people griping are under the illusion that this game gets the care and investment of a triple a title. I personally have no issue paying into something I get value out of. What boggles me is why, given a scenario where the game arguably appeals only to a niche core player base, mostly willing to stay loyal as long as the game runs, we have decision makers proposing player infuriating ideas like lose-all-your-epic-xp on TR and rapid repeat penalty accumulation.

I keep trying to figure out if the DDO of the next 6-12 months will be the DDO of keep your tomes across TR and LR+20 tokens for the enhancement pass, or the DDO of throw away all your epic destiny character investment and make it even harder to reinvest in your characters. I'll keep paying for the former DDO. Not the latter.
    I have to agree with you. I´m a casual player so poor development decisions dont affect me as much as dedicated players. Don´t take me wrong: there have been many really BAD decisions on game mechanichs. I think many were implemented trying to make the game friendlier to newbies, when what they should´ve done is keep changes to a minimum and try to invest on solving main bugs and developing new content. My guess is the game is set to close soon if only on the core players support, so they made (fast, unreliable, cosmetic, not well tested) changes on the goal of increasing the players´ base. Vets/dedicated players are "high mantenance", on the other hand, and difficult to please by all standards.

I think the problem is not the devs not playing the game (though i agree they don´t play EE much, for what they themselves tell) but the business strategy.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by advena13 View Post
    We have two ways to communicate with those who decide to hear us. The devs, who obviously hear, but are limited to what they can do, and our wallets. Griping to devs can help, if worded like a civil human being. Closing our wallets ends the game.
    I would hope that someone at Turbine passes at least some of what we say to those who make decisions. I would rather give them the opportunity to fix the game BEFORE I decide to close my wallet and walk away...

Founder

I'm convinced that this is at least encouraged by that Zynga manager. They look at people who TR and who grind EDs as $ in the bank from Store Items. If they can make you grind EDs more, that's more $ for them. They obviously didn't consider at all that they already told us they wouldn't take away ED XP. They were only thinking about the $.

I play some DDO in my off time, without a doubt.

For a while, I played with a static TR group on a daily basis but my free time has become less free as of late so that ended up stopping.

I certainly enjoy my 3rd life rogue assassin.

Community Member

People are too hung up about this flippant twitter remark, granted it rubs a lot of players the wrong way and comes off as disrespectful. Worrying whether it's more than 8 or what he really meant is a distraction.
    People are focused on this twitter comment, and they have every reason to be. If the people who are in charge of guiding the game's direction really are this callous and have so much disdain for the people who are playing their game, then there is very little reason to expect future changes to be positive for players rather than more cash-grabs that are damaging to the community.

The same thing was true of the SoE team that was in charge of development for Star Wars Galaxies before it's catastrophic shift to failure. Several of the developers there had begun to make dismissive or even disrespectful comments about their players on personal blogs and other unofficial media outlets. And what came next was the most sweeping alteration to an existing MMO that has ever been seen, and one that very quickly killed the game's viability. While I do not think that the magnitude of what happened then is present in DDO now, it certainly seems like all of the elements are there in some form or another.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 07-30-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast