Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lets talk:Turbine staff playing DDO

How many of them actually play the game on live server or did they ever play it?

The ones that did quit do to the changes they made
    Aceita - 22 life Monk Completionist -

Hero

Re-posted from another thread:

I know Cordovan does occasionally (maybe more I'm not sure) as he's posted on twitter a few times about running the Shroud. And I vaguely remember one developer mentioning that once upon a time one developer had TR'ed once. That's all I know.

So 2 devs, and 1 is doing shroud, so they basically dont know how it is like to get all eds capped.

Come on, they all play.

Do they play at the intensity of the sociopath power-gamers? Probably now.

Yea, they play, but how, with everything capped, without actually getting the xp for it.

Dev Play Session

`
    tgm
    tcl
    killall
    killall
    killall

`

Loot and repeat

Community Member

I'm sure they "play" as part of their work.

Some may play as part of the "eat your own dogfood" mentatity so they can say "ya I play my own game" if someone asks them. I highly doubt any of them play in the same way power gamers do...

most people tend to not bring work home with them, If I was writting code for an MMO all day, the last thing I would want to do is go home and log in to play because it would remind me of all the work I have ahead of me tomorrow.

Community Member

Well, i remember one dev saying they get an allowance of turbine points, and that they're not allowed to post on the Astral Shard Exchange, so i'd assume that meant they played.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    *snip* he's posted on twitter a few times about running the Shroud.*snip*
    Someone hasn't read my Twitter feed very long. I will admit that my 20+hours/wk (since 2006) DDO habit has been tempered a bit since my first child was born, I still very much play DDO regularly. And at the very least I certainly post about it more than a few times on Twitter!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Dev Play Session

`
    tgm
    tcl
    killall
    killall
    killall

`

Loot and repeat
    I would be very surprised if it's anything much more than this. I can sympathize a bit, though. I'm a cook by profession. At work I prepare soups and sauces from scratch, make nice presentations and develop new recipes. When I go home, dinner is usually a simply prepared meat, a steamed veggie and something-aroni on the side.

I highly doubt any of those responsible for designing the game craft a toon, TR a few times to accumulate appropriate past lives, farm gear and work their way accross the destiny map to gain twist worthy abilities and the fate points to use them, all for the fun of doing so. This is where I believe a large part of the perceivable disconnect between them and us stems from. Plus, it can't be easy for them as there are so many flavors of "us" that it must be nearly impossible to make a decision that benefits group A without angering group K, not to mention the greater or lesser extents it pleases or annoys groups B through J.

Even if some or most of the devs actually played like real players, which groups would they be representative of? The casual "I don't TR, I just make alts" or "I must amass as much power through gear/EDs/triple completionist as fast as possable" or "I like to solo" or "byoh is the way to go" or "balanced parties ftw" or...

It's an astounding array of personalities and playstyles that want to all be equally considered and accommodated by every decision.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I'm sure at work they're like us and just surf the forums. Then they probably play a while at home until the wife aggro's on them.

The difference betwee them and us is; when they're at work and get caught they can actually claim they're working.

It's good to be a dev!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Someone hasn't read my Twitter feed very long. I will admit that my 20+hours/wk (since 2006) DDO habit has been tempered a bit since my first child was born, I still very much play DDO regularly. And at the very least I certainly post about it more than a few times on Twitter!
    Then I ask the following fully realizing you're likely restricted from offering any personal opinions about the game, it's direction or anything else along those lines. But I'll ask anyway:

•How would you describe your playstyle? Are you an altoholhic with a vast stable of "1st lifers?" Do you take a build idea and try to maximize it's potential via TRing, twisting and farming gear?

•Do you prefer taking your time and advancing via content variety, or during your 7 years in the game have you gravitated towards xp/min quest repetitious speed farming?

•Do you prefer to solo, pug, or group through private channels?

•Will the enhancement pass be up-ending any of your toons?

•Are you one of the 8 players with a toon that has maxed all destanies, and if so, would the proposed wiping of all that destiny xp prevent you from further TRing that character? Why or why not?

•Did you "shear" any of your toons?

•Without using epmty/meaningless responses like "Because it's the best mmo on the market today!" why do you like to play?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 07-29-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Hero

HA! I'm busted..I do admit, I didn't go back thru and look. I probably should have. It was definitely an off-the-cuff post for me!

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Then I ask the following fully realizing you're likely restricted from offering any personal opinions about the game, it's direction or anything else along those lines. But I'll ask anyway:

•How would you describe your playstyle? Are you an altoholhic with a vast stable of "1st lifers?" Do you take a build idea and try to maximize it's potential via TRing, twisting and farming gear?

•Do you prefer taking your time and advancing via content variety, or during your 7 years in the game have you gravitated towards xp/min quest repetitious speed farming?

•Do you prefer to solo, pug, or group through private channels?

•Will the enhancement pass be up-ending any of your toons?

•Are you one of the 8 players with a toon that has maxed all destanies, and if so, would the proposed wiping of all that destiny xp prevent you from further TRing that character? Why or why not?

•Did you "shear" any of your toons?

•Without using epmty/meaningless responses like "Because it's the best mmo on the market today!" why do you like to play?
    The problem with answering these kind of questions is that some folks (not saying you in particular) don't really want reassurance or information, they simply want fuel to throw back at you both now and in the future. However, I'd say that my playstyle habits have not changed significantly over the years, and there is probably something like 500+hours of me discussing my experience playing DDO available online.

I do not exploit or cheat, I can say that for sure. I also do not have maxed out all Epic Destinies per character, again, largely due to the impact having a baby (now infant) child has on one's free time. I solo a bit more nowadays than I used to, but still group often, and am generally less concerned with achieving max XP/minute than some folks. On the enhancement pass, I'm about as concerned about it as I was during the first enhancement pass, which is to say not very much. I'm sure it will have a mostly positive impact on my characters, and I'll adapt and find new ways to work with any changes that I feel are necessary to take due to things that I deem less favorable.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 07-29-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: clarifying that I do have Epic Destinies maxxed out, just not all of them per character
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

The problem with answering these kind of questions is that some folks (not saying you in particular) don't really want reassurance or information, they simply want fuel to throw back at you both now and in the future. However, I'd say that my playstyle habits have not changed significantly over the years, and there is probably something like 500+hours of me discussing my experience playing DDO available online.

I do not exploit or cheat, I can say that for sure. I also do not have maxed Epic Destinies, again, largely due to the impact having a baby (now infant) child has on one's free time. I solo a bit more nowadays than I used to, but still group often, and am generally less concerned with achieving max XP/minute than some folks. On the enhancement pass, I'm about as concerned about it as I was during the first enhancement pass, which is to say not very much. I'm sure it will have a mostly positive impact on my characters, and I'll adapt and find new ways to work with any changes that I feel are necessary to take due to things that I deem less favorable.

Well said - and to the other posters in this thread I advise to tread carefully - Dev's (and other Turbine staff) personal play habit are generally taboo - since there must be a distinction between professional and personal.

I do not exploit or cheat, I can say that for sure. I also do not have maxed out all Epic Destinies per character, again, largely due to the impact having a baby (now infant) child has on one's free time. I solo a bit more nowadays than I used to, but still group often, and am generally less concerned with achieving max XP/minute than some folks. On the enhancement pass, I'm about as concerned about it as I was during the first enhancement pass, which is to say not very much. I'm sure it will have a mostly positive impact on my characters, and I'll adapt and find new ways to work with any changes that I feel are necessary to take due to things that I deem less favorable.
    Thanx for responding, and I can certinly understand not wanting to hand the crowd a box of tomatoes

Founder

Cordovan's reply was very diplomatic Thanks Cordovan.

My personal opinion is that the developers as a whole probably try to get most of their information on how people play DDO from the metrics. Not being a developer, I don't know if the metrics can really tell you the whole story. I bet they can come close depending on what data is gathered and looked-at.

One thing they might not get from metrics is why a player does what he does. Certain things might be obvious like grinding Fathom the Depths. But if a quest is more popular than others (not popular to the point of being a grind for xp), you might not be able to understand why unless you play it yourself.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Thanx for responding, and I can certinly understand not wanting to hand the crowd a box of tomatoes
    On these forums, would be more like a box of grenades

Community Member

I have been hard on Turbine (and you) in the past and so I thought you should know that I quite appreciated this reply. Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast