Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Angry Update 18 Killed DDO

Since update 18, when I log in I have a "yellow connection". EVERY TIME. My latency is approx 768.00 ms on average. Prior to update 18 I rarely got any type of lag. I know this is not caused by my system. I am growing ever more tired of paying to play a game wherein I play with an almost 2 second lag. I have searched the forums, and DevTracker and there have not been any other mentions of this problem that I can see. Has anyone found any cause or fix to this. Any Dev Team members who wish to chime in please do. I will not continue to pay to play a game in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribble075 View Post
    Since update 18, when I log in I have a "yellow connection". EVERY TIME. My latency is approx 768.00 ms on average. Prior to update 18 I rarely got any type of lag. I know this is not caused by my system. I am growing ever more tired of paying to play a game wherein I play with an almost 2 second lag. I have searched the forums, and DevTracker and there have not been any other mentions of this problem that I can see. Has anyone found any cause or fix to this. Any Dev Team members who wish to chime in please do. I will not continue to pay to play a game in this manner.
    Have you done a tracert to confirm that it's Turbine where you are getting the latency? If not open a cmd prompt and type

tracert ddo.com

then press enter.

Community Member

\ I know this is not caused by my system.
    And how did you determine that?

I don't have the kind of new lag you are talking about so its either you, or the route between you and Turbine.

Community Member

Default buncha numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Have you done a tracert to confirm that it's Turbine where you are getting the latency? If not open a cmd prompt and type

tracert ddo.com

then press enter.

not sure what I am seeing here, but I am going to assume that the first line is my cpu which is <1ms
    then 21 jumps all at +894 ms or higher....

not sure what I am seeing here, but I am going to assume that the first line is my cpu which is <1ms
    Do you have a router of some sort ie

computer>router>cable/dsl modem>wall

The first jump will be computer to whatever, then next is where your problem starts. I'd check your wires and connections as place to start.

I have super long log in times. And I occasionally have lag spikes in game. With the yellow icon appearing.

When I stream HD movies...I do not get pauses...

I pay for a 50M connection from my provider which I believe is far more than Turbine requires.

However, during this test this morning. About half 27m about half 43m.
    Jeremiiah - Isaiiah - Zephaniiah - Ghallanda - Old Timers Guild

The first line is likely going to be your modem or router. If hops after that are over 600ms, then you have speed issues with your internet connection. If you have your own router you'll probably want to make sure it's secure, or that you don't have roomies stealing all of your bandwidth! Also check and see if you have anything downloading, including torrents running.

Also you can check your speed against what you should be getting at www.speedtest.net (Filled with ads unfortunately...)

If all that doesn't improve things a call to your ISP might be in order.

Community Member

Do you have a router of some sort ie

computer>router>cable/dsl modem>wall

The first jump will be computer to whatever, then next is where your problem starts. I'd check your wires and connections as place to start.

Cpu > router > modem > wall ...and the cables are in good condition. I have great connection in other applications/games but not ddo. Is it possible that a complete uninstall/reinstall would help?

Cpu > router > modem > wall ...and the cables are in good condition. I have great connection in other applications/games but not ddo. Is it possible that a complete uninstall/reinstall would help?
    No because if what you have posted is true it is 100% not related to turbine and is all your connection. I posted about the cables because I've had a cat bite one once and half short it where I still had a connection but with a lot of loss and latency. It could also be your router going bad, I've had that happen to me too. Best of luck tracking it down. But the problem sounds like it's between your router and your modem, it could also be a problem with the router or modem.

(Celanan here)

If you haven't already tried it, try unplugging both modem and router, and plugging them in. That might be enough to fix it there. Try another tracert after that and see if it improves.

Default Try This!

To the OP and anyone getting slow logins, some community members put together a caching DDO preloader that worked great for me. It eliminated the slow login (in other works, for me the DAT files took longer than the login/connection timout ) This program fixed it.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ght=ddopreload

Give it a try, YMMV.
    -------------------
    Anatir the Wild Man - Pure Barbarian
    Baldornix Magnus - Paladin 1st Life, Bard 2nd Life
    Cannith

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

tracert ddo.com

then press enter.
    That would be to the web pages. If you want something game related do gls.ddo.com While not actually the direct server cluster, it is what the launcher has to hit first.

Also, tracert will only do a singular test. If you want to do something more conclusive, use something like PingPlotter. They have a freeware version that is quite useful for situations like this.

I've had to use such to prove to my ISP they were screwing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    That would be to the web pages. If you want something game related do gls.ddo.com While not actually the direct server cluster, it is what the launcher has to hit first.

Also, tracert will only do a singular test. If you want to do something more conclusive, use something like PingPlotter. They have a freeware version that is quite useful for situations like this.

I've had to use such to prove to my ISP they were screwing things up.
    Overall true but when he gets 900ms latency between his router and modem the difference between the website and the servers isn't a big deal and last check I did the website and servers were just different ip's on the same subnet at where ever they're hosted.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

just post the result, there's people ( me included ) that have a clue at what is displayed.

For example mine looks like that :
    Code:

C:\Users\<removed>tracert www.ddo.com

Détermination de l'itinéraire vers newwebvip.ddo.com [74.201.103.121]
    avec un maximum de 30 sauts?*:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  <hidden on purpose>
      2    16 ms    15 ms    16 ms  80.10.123.201
      3    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  10.123.109.202
      4    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  ae41-0.nista202.Paris.francetelecom.net [193.252.98.177]
      5    18 ms    19 ms    19 ms  81.253.184.14
      6    17 ms    18 ms    19 ms  tengige0-2-0-12.auvtr1.Aubervilliers.opentransit.net [193.251.133.90]
      7    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  te8-8.ccr01.par05.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.15.233]
      8    37 ms    36 ms    35 ms  te0-7-0-8.mpd21.par01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.1.69]
      9    24 ms    25 ms    24 ms  te0-1-0-1.mpd21.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.3.6]
     10    98 ms    99 ms    99 ms  te0-3-0-4.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.30.129]
     11   169 ms   220 ms   210 ms  te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42]
     12   101 ms   102 ms   102 ms  38.104.252.70
     13    98 ms    97 ms    95 ms  border1.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn003.pnap.net [63.251.128.107]
     14    97 ms    97 ms    97 ms  turbine-7.border1.bsn003.pnap.net [64.95.76.202]
     15    98 ms    98 ms    98 ms  74.201.102.154
     16    96 ms    95 ms    96 ms  74.201.103.121
    What I can tell from it :
    <hidden on purpose> : it's the Internal IP Address of my DSL router, it's pointless in that example, I've removed it for security reason.
    The line 2 is the external address of my DSL access ( don't worry tomorrow it will have changed. )
    All the routers up to line 5 are Orange ( France Telecom new name since July 1st ) routers, I'm an Orange Subscriber, so it's obvious.
    On line 6 It's a router from Opentransit ( a Orange Subsidiary ) located in a town called Aubervilliers ( I can even give you the address, and maybe the floor in the building, but that's because I cheat, I have a permanent 24/7 access to the building ).
    On line 7 and 8 we are on Cogent Co. Network but still in Paris.
    Line 9 we are in London, line 10 and 11 we are in Boston Area on Cogent Co. Network.
    Line 12, 13 and 14 we are on Pnap Network, they are the hosting providers for Turbine. the last one is the border router ( on pnap side ) between pnap and turbine.
    Line 15 and 16 are internal Turbine addresses.

Sadly the servers don't answer to tracert/ping anymore so we can't use their addresses anymore. The website/forums is the best one we have left.

Edit :

Now if you have the 900ms just after the first hop, you have a problem with your DSL line. You should contact your ISP and do a test like speedtest ( www.speedtest.net )
    Last edited by Flavilandile; 07-28-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

1. Right click launcher

2. Run as administrator

3. Problem solved "atleast it worked for me when i was playing"
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

I do want to mention something about the first hop. It was said it is irrelevant but that is not 100% true. What you will get is an IP in the 192.168 range, like 192.168.0.1.

If the second hop is another 192.168 number then you have a router hooked up to a router which is strange admittedly, but sometimes ISPs will send out modem/router combo's and customers don't realize it, so they will hook up a router to it.

Long story short: If you can paste the tracert info then we can make a better educated guess :P

1. Right click launcher

2. Run as administrator

3. Problem solved "atleast it worked for me when i was playing"
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Default Mistake on double post

iPhone timed out at work cheers!
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Running just fine. No change. Must be the whole system...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Post Doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    Running just fine. No change. Must be the whole system...
    The ddo client makes even the newest computers seem like something is adding where it should be...from my experiences it's safe to say it's probably the client
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast