Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member FreeMemory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    At my computer. How else could I post this?
    Posts
    60

    Default Favor Issue for Iconics

    Something has to be done with the Iconics' lack of favor. Even Coin Lord favor needed to obtain inventory tabs will require running Korthos, Harbor and Marketplace quests (level 1-4) with a level 15 character - which is kind of silly. Sure players do favor clean-ups, but to require an intensive amount of low level/no XP play for inventory tabs, bank tabs, Silver Flame pot access, etc... defeats the very purpose of having Iconics (if there is a purpose).

    All I'm saying is you have this character starting at level 15, but in order to normalize play, they have to inexplicably go back to Eberron and blast through all the low level content they were trying to avoid in the first place by starting at level 15. So much for the "I was born in Forgotten Realms..." storyline. Without warping to Eberron they go all the way to level 28 with only 3 inventory tabs (4 if they buy with TP).

    Possible solution is (for Iconics only) block lower level Eberron favor, but have all the equivalent rewards available in higher level Eberron and Forgotten Realms favor - Inventory tabs, Pendant of Time, Bank tabs, Skill tomes, etc...
    This would also block exploitive TP farming by level 15s running low level and rerolling.

    Also add a story line for Forgotten Realm Iconics to travel and have access to Eberron, giving them an excuse for high level quests. It's a poor storyline to just wander into a cave and pop out in Eberron.

    Another possible solution is to have a storyline that has them traveling to Eberron, but they get waylaid on Korthos and must complete an level 18ish quest (or raid LOL) where they fight the dragon and mind flayer while Jeets, Celimas and Talbron destroy the mindsunder crystal (thus fulfilling Talbron's "Next time you fight the dragon..."). Quest/raid rewards include inventory tabs, bank tabs, Silver Flame pot access, etc... Only Iconics get the special favor reward replacements. When Iconics finish the quest, they have access to Eberron.

    The bladeforged can't use that storyline exactly. Maybe they would have to go to the abandoned Cannith Manufactory for some special warforged purpose, then merge storylines and rewards with the other iconics.


    Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea -any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!
    - Bilbo Baggins

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    603

    Default

    I think you have some nice ideas there about ways to spice up the transition between the Forgotten Realms and Eberron. And you are right about it not fitting with the storyline really to go to do the harbor quests for coin lord favor then hop into Kundarak for the bank slot.

    On the other hand, I find that the easiest way is just to create your iconic, not choose the path (not lvl to 15th in one go) and run the quests more or less at lvl (actually you can just do the quests on a lvl 1-2 character and earn pretty solid guild renown as well as favor in doing so).

    That way works for me to get a bit of a bond with the character by playing it in a sort of fast tracked lvling up whenever you feel like it.

  3. #3
    Community Member FreeMemory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    At my computer. How else could I post this?
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nascoe View Post
    I think you have some nice ideas there about ways to spice up the transition between the Forgotten Realms and Eberron. And you are right about it not fitting with the storyline really to go to do the harbor quests for coin lord favor then hop into Kundarak for the bank slot.

    On the other hand, I find that the easiest way is just to create your iconic, not choose the path (not lvl to 15th in one go) and run the quests more or less at lvl (actually you can just do the quests on a lvl 1-2 character and earn pretty solid guild renown as well as favor in doing so).

    That way works for me to get a bit of a bond with the character by playing it in a sort of fast tracked lvling up whenever you feel like it.
    That is a good work around, though I think you're considered "capped" as far as earning XP is concerned.

    But the point is it makes the whole start-at-level-15 pretty much pointless, when you have to go back and do the low level stuff anyway.

    Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea -any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!
    - Bilbo Baggins

  4. #4
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,218

    Default

    Simple Answer:

    All Iconics should start with the Bonuses given by:

    150 Coin Lord Favour - 40 Inventory Spaces
    150 Phiarlan Favour - Pendant
    150 Free Agents Favour - Yeah like you're NOT gonna get your +5 Tools from the AH {Still they should have this}
    75 Kundarak Favour - 20 Bank Slots {Most Kundarak Favour comes from VoN, Fens and Ataraxia so no need to give away the 150!}.
    75 House Deneith Favour - Ammo and Quivers

    House Jorasco Favour is a Joke anyway!

    Oh and change the Compendium to show that that favour has been given - {Can't be earned again!}

  5. #5
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,140

    Default

    Agreed this is a lame unfun thing, at least give tier 1 coin lord and K favor. New players seeing these iconics as a jump start are in the very gamey position of having to go grind out favor which just feels wrong.

    More seasoned players who like the iconics as a new fresh sub-race with new synergies and the (freeing frankly) lack of pressure to TR. Are faced with the unfun of farming favor for the millionth time.

    The pendant I will get when I run thernal for mantle and the second tier of house K is just fine running the VoN chain on Epic to flag and for XP.

    Of course this wouldn't be a problem if they had much wider quest scaling and thus could allow a much wider range of levels to do quests and still be challenging and reward XP.
    Last edited by IronClan; 07-28-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

  6. #6

    Default

    Bank:
    Vault of Night and Redfens quests done elite first time is good xp for a level 15 and easy to do.

    Backpack:
    Invaders, Lord March quests done elite first time is good xp for a level 15 and easy to do.
    Dreaming Dark and IQ is good xp as well.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    752

    Default

    run to korthos, do the first 4 quests on elite , 24 favor
    harbor, do irestone irestone inlet, missing pack and new ring leader, all on elite, 36 favor (60 total)
    run to market place, do the 2 sewer's quests, 18 favor (78 total)

    I do this whenever i make a character (though sometimes i substitute irestone inlet for 2 quests from the sharn syndicate pack, a bit quicker on a lvl 4/7) and i do it in under 30 minutes usually.

    If people want to spend time grinding favor rewards, let them. Plenty of the quests involved have decent alt-gear, so it's not a complete waste of time. Also, on level 15, grinding elite takes little to no effort.

    Phiarlan favor- tangleroot on elite-visor of the fleshrender, or do normal/elite(you know which one gets done on normal) for mantle of the world shaper
    Kundrak, chambers-quests on elite/red fens

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Simple Answer:

    All Iconics should start with the Bonuses given by:

    150 Coin Lord Favour - 40 Inventory Spaces
    150 Phiarlan Favour - Pendant
    150 Free Agents Favour - Yeah like you're NOT gonna get your +5 Tools from the AH {Still they should have this}
    75 Kundarak Favour - 20 Bank Slots {Most Kundarak Favour comes from VoN, Fens and Ataraxia so no need to give away the 150!}.
    75 House Deneith Favour - Ammo and Quivers

    House Jorasco Favour is a Joke anyway!

    Oh and change the Compendium to show that that favour has been given - {Can't be earned again!}






    I agree with this there's a major problem when the only way to get to have these things through favor but the options are buy them which defeats the point of having a level 15.

  9. #9
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    Phiarlan favor- tangleroot on elite-visor of the fleshrender
    I really do Wish people would STOP this misinformation!

    Visor of the Flesh Render Guards UNLIKE Voice of the Master is NOT A GUARANTEED END REWARD!

    With over 50 characters taken thru this quest pack along with at least 5 TRs running it twice and certain early characters having to run it N/H/E Pre VIP!

    I've collected maybe 20 Visors all told!
    And I'd say that's an optimistic estimate!


    ALSO:
    Visor of the Flesh Render Guards has one I repeat ONE 6-7 minute clickie!

    Inventory space is low enough that requiring players to carry 2-3 of these is imo just plain Wrong!

    Requiring players to re-run Tangleroot Multiple times on each and every character {ok - it's BtA I believe but I'm not keeping a mule just to run Splinterskull over and over again!} is even more ridiculous!



    They are nice item to have I don't disagree BUT I'm fed-up of the accepted assumption that they're a Guaranteed End-Reward!
    They are NOT!

  10. #10
    Community Member Lilliana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Snoozing at the pond
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Simple Answer:

    All Iconics should start with the Bonuses given by:

    150 Coin Lord Favour - 40 Inventory Spaces
    150 Phiarlan Favour - Pendant
    150 Free Agents Favour - Yeah like you're NOT gonna get your +5 Tools from the AH {Still they should have this}
    75 Kundarak Favour - 20 Bank Slots {Most Kundarak Favour comes from VoN, Fens and Ataraxia so no need to give away the 150!}.
    75 House Deneith Favour - Ammo and Quivers

    House Jorasco Favour is a Joke anyway!

    Oh and change the Compendium to show that that favour has been given - {Can't be earned again!}
    I would prefer it could be a choice then. I prefer to get Turbine Points for my favor, in your suggestion I would gain 600 favor for free and loose out on 150 TP (if I have calculated it correctly)
    Another thing is, I don't think all that favor be gotten from just f2p quests? I see a situation that can end up being messy, because a player can gain favor for a House or faction without actually having the adventure pack it comes from.

    I do agree it seems a bit silly being lvl 15 without favor and lacking extra bags and such. But you could say the same for the players that use exp stones.
    I'm not terrible sure I think it really needs a solution, the missing favor should be quick and easy to farm up for a lvl 15 char, especially a VIP that can unlock elite right away.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I really do Wish people would STOP this misinformation!

    Visor of the Flesh Render Guards UNLIKE Voice of the Master is NOT A GUARANTEED END REWARD!

    With over 50 characters taken thru this quest pack along with at least 5 TRs running it twice and certain early characters having to run it N/H/E Pre VIP!

    I've collected maybe 20 Visors all told!
    And I'd say that's an optimistic estimate!


    ALSO:
    Visor of the Flesh Render Guards has one I repeat ONE 6-7 minute clickie!

    Inventory space is low enough that requiring players to carry 2-3 of these is imo just plain Wrong!

    Requiring players to re-run Tangleroot Multiple times on each and every character {ok - it's BtA I believe but I'm not keeping a mule just to run Splinterskull over and over again!} is even more ridiculous!



    They are nice item to have I don't disagree BUT I'm fed-up of the accepted assumption that they're a Guaranteed End-Reward!
    They are NOT!

    I never said they were a guaranteed end reward, so please don't make assumptions. I said that the quest chain has worthwhile loot, and gave an example. Also, why would I/anyone assume anything was a guaranteed loot reward, when that mechanic is only implemented on 2 items that i am aware of(not counting commendations)? Also, with the current system. every 3rd run should have the full list, so you would only have to do the chain 3 times (elite/casual/casual on an iconic) But my point was that there was gear for people to pick while running the quests for favor.

    So in short, remember, when you assume, you make an a** out of you and me. So please stop assuming.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    603

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeMemory View Post
    That is a good work around, though I think you're considered "capped" as far as earning XP is concerned.

    But the point is it makes the whole start-at-level-15 pretty much pointless, when you have to go back and do the low level stuff anyway.
    Yes FreeMemory, you are right about the XP - the only XP you get is from the Monster Manual! On the other hand, its not that much af a grind and its fun to test your new build and see how far you can get on a lvl 1 character (I get to about 4th lvl quests when using just the gear stumble on in chests :-) )!

    As mentioned, I like to get a bit of a feeling for the character if I intend to really play it, or even keep it, so then its fun to do, and the one big advantage is that you really don't have to worry about running it with inexperienced buddies who die (because you don't get XP anyway)

    Off course this does not work when you want to just roll up a character and jump into questing right away. On the other hand, you don't really need to get the favor when you just want to do a couple of quests - 3 inventory slots are Ok-ish for a throwaway character, and if you have the shared bank, you can just pass gear on to other toons that deconstruct it, sell it or store it.

    For example the bladeforged I have running in the CC event now on wayfinder - at lvl 15 it actually makes sense to play and collect materials towards the items that I want to use with other characters, who I haven't lvled up. The BF will probably end up being scratched or being a bank toon afterwards. Maybe run in CC again next year, if he is lucky.

  13. #13
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    I never said they were a guaranteed end reward, so please don't make assumptions. I said that the quest chain has worthwhile loot, and gave an example. Also, why would I/anyone assume anything was a guaranteed loot reward, when that mechanic is only implemented on 2 items that i am aware of(not counting commendations)? Also, with the current system. every 3rd run should have the full list, so you would only have to do the chain 3 times (elite/casual/casual on an iconic) But my point was that there was gear for people to pick while running the quests for favor.

    So in short, remember, when you assume, you make an a** out of you and me. So please stop assuming.
    You gave two examples together:

    Visor & Mantle!

    One of those is a guaranteed End-Reward, The other Isn't!

    You did not specify that Visor wasn't guaranteed and in-fact intimated that it was thru context!


    Oh and repeating Splinterskull 3 times {no matter what difficulty} is a Bore!
    Repeating Delera's 3 times is in my view even worse!
    BUT at least you can guarantee groups for Deleras!


    There's also the issue that too many people seem to expect you to have MULTIPLE Visors these days!
    One Voice is all you need
    One Mantle {Voice and Mantle set isn't strong enough to force both either so choose one}

    If another good choice pops up in Delera's End-Reward - Carnifex, UMD Necklace then you can always go round again for Voice
    Same goes for Threnal if Retribution drops - Just do a second run for Mantle!
    BUT NOT Splinterskull and Visor!
    If Khyber's Fury drops for an Arti then I'd expect Arti to take it - Top of the Range Low level Rune-Arm!
    The other named items in that chain have also been significantly upgraded with augment slots!
    Visor is a Grind!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload