Default Deadly Weapons/waste of a spell slot?

I dont get it,deadly weapons seems to be a waste of a spell slot. At lvl 18 with only the two slots adding +1 to a melee guys weapon seems so small. When i hit 19 i get the extra spot and i will give it out,but most of the other spells seem so much better.
    So is there something im missing? Or is it really just +1?

Community Member

its +1W, not +1dmg

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

It's +1W, that is +1 weapon dice. If they're using a rapier, it's +1d6 damage. If they use a a great sword, it's +2d6. It's very nice.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

And if they are using something like the epic antique great axe thats a +1d20, and that's base damage, so its multiplied on crits.

Thanks for clearing that up but its still sort of weak. At Epic levels it seem really helpful,but around 18 where Artis only have two slots adding plus one dice to a weapon is still a lot lower damage overall compared to TD or deconstruct.Plus you got BB that could be used.
    Maybe I use more spells than the average Arti in combat. Seems silly to buff some guy when TD can knock down a whole mob plus do damage. OR deconstruct hits hard in House C.
    I took lvl 19 instead of banking so i could make others happy but seem DW is over requested
    to me.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

TD does damage once. Deadly Weapons does its bonus damage on each and every swing of the buffed's attacks. This eclipses the damage a TD does over the time it is active by a hughe amount.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member

Also keep in mind that, at least for repeater artis, that +1[w] gets tripled. So instead of 3d6 elemental damage (that gets mitigated by elem. resistances), you're doing 3d10 extra physical damage (which helps breaks through DR) that gets multiplied on crit.

Tac Det is nice, but its not cheap on the blue bar. You're going to do a lot more DPS, over the course of a mission, with DW constantly up than you could draining your spell points spamming Tac Det. Even if your Tac Det always hit and monsters never saved against it, and lets say you have 300% bonus damage from spellpower, that's 480 damage per cast...you'd have to cast a TD just under every 30 seconds of combat to match your DPS output from DW. And obviously that's not a sustainable output....
    Last edited by droid327; 07-30-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Not to mention the invisible effect of buffing up the damage output of a whole party has, which shows up in making the quest go faster, things dying faster so the clerics have an easier time conserving their resources, and party camaraderie from players helping each other out. These may seem like small things, but they have a cumulative large effect that makes the whole thing more fun and (and the forum loves this word) efficient.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Take these 3 in teh end

• Blade Barrier
    • Deadly Weapons
    • Tactical Detonation

BTW you can pump up your Blade Barrier and Tactical Detonation with your Enhancements. I usually redo my Enhancements at higher levels at a trainer for plat. I will beef up Force and Fire. Tactical Detonation is both force and fire.

With the Draconic ED you can get your Tactical Detonation to hit for 1k hp on a non-crit if you maxed the lines in your Enhancements. TD is basically a hand grenade.

On a side note, you can also buff Lightening as well with the Enhancements and EDs.