Question My druids REFLEX seems very low, plus a silly question.

My druids REFLEX seems very low.
    I know im not exactly swimming in DEX and some people are going to say that DEX should be much higher but to them I say that this guys 2nd life is fantastic. He really can bite.

Anyway, as you can see I am level 14 in WinterWolf form with no ship buffs. 5 of that 14 Reflex is a trinket that I just made for myself, so imagine my surprise when I looked at my Reflex to see that it was a whole 9.
    Even if STR and DEX were swapped around I would have 4+11+7 (22).
    Does that seem low ? What can I do about it ?

I would have thought that a dog would have a quite natural reflex save.

Now, my noob question... the shield I am carrying gives me 4 extra AC and is a +4 Heavy Densewood Shield of Pure Good (1d6 good damage) + Absolute Law (2-12 against Non Lawful).

Is any of that worth it? does it add to my attack or am I better off getting something that adds power to my character in some way, eg: making my cold spells stronger.
    Thanks.
    Real join date: Update 7

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    I know im not exactly swimming in DEX and some people are going to say that DEX should be much higher but to them I say that this guys 2nd life is fantastic. He really can bite.

Anyway, as you can see I am level 14 in WinterWolf form with no ship buffs. 5 of that 14 Reflex is a trinket that I just made for myself, so imagine my surprise when I looked at my Reflex to see that it was a whole 9.

Now, my noob question... the shield I am carrying gives me 4 extra AC and is a +4 Heavy Densewood Shield of Pure Good (1d6 good damage) + Absolute Law (2-12 against Non Lawful).

Is any of that worth it? does it add to my attack or am I better off getting something that adds power to my character in some way, eg: making my cold spells stronger.
    Thanks.

Get a Resistance item, for starters. There is also the +4 Reflex saves googles (Trapblast Goggles) from STK that are useful to hold you over till you can get a resistance. Heroism pots are great. GH is even better if you can get it. Haste helps a little. There are a few means to getting your reflex save up... but resistance is a good start. Get a item to boost Dex as high as you can. Druids do automatically get the cat's grace spell which is a +4 to dex if you can't squeeze in an item at the time being. Not great, but every bit helps. Buff buff buff.

The shield, doesn't do anything for you while in wolf form other than increase your defense while blocking. The effects on it don't apply. It would have to be in your main hand for that. Effects in your off hand have to be effects like Guards, Spell power increases, stunning +?, vertigo, seeker, ect. Items that effect your character himself while having on, not relying on it actually hitting something... cause it can't while in wolf form.

Also, nice hat.

Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobay . Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Culver.Civello View Post
    Get a Resistance item, for starters. There is also the +4 Reflex saves googles (Trapblast Goggles) from STK that are useful to hold you over till you can get a resistance.
    He says that "5 of that 14 Reflex is a trinket that I just made for myself". And while he can add other buffs to increase his save that doesn't address the question of why an animal has such a terrible base Reflex save.

I agree with the OP, that is a good question.

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    He says that "5 of that 14 Reflex is a trinket that I just made for myself". And while he can add other buffs to increase his save that doesn't address the question of why an animal has such a terrible base Reflex save.

I agree with the OP, that is a good question.
    Passing out general info.

There is not a whole lot other than buffing up that you can do to really increase saves, specially on a Druid. You can add some Dex while taking away from other stats, but that is for very minimal increase. Not really worth it.

Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobay . Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

I know im not exactly swimming in DEX and some people are going to say that DEX should be much higher
    Who told you that ?
    17 DEX at lvl 14 is higher than I'd have it on any character for which DEX isn't a main stat. Which means, any character that is not TWF or ranged, or gets the feats with DEX requirements for free (rangers).
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Answers (not in order):
    • Your base reflex save remains the same because changing into wolf does not give you any kind of bonus. But you do gain striding 15% and SA damage in wolf form
    • +Dex, Parrying, Resistance, haste, and Heroism should all raise your reflex score. Nightshield will also raise your Reflex but that is NOT WAI (the stacking part).
    • As others have said, you want passive effects on your shield. Healing lore is the most common for people (Shield from Necro IV or crafted) or crafted +Seeker until they switch slots for their seeker (trinket or ring, are the most common choices because of universal easiness).

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    Who told you that ?
    17 DEX at lvl 14 is higher than I'd have it on any character for which DEX isn't a main stat. Which means, any character that is not TWF or ranged, or gets the feats with DEX requirements for free (rangers).
    There used to be a few folks out there who said that the wolf was a DEX build and the bear was a STR/CON build.
    I cant comment on bear. I hardly even see them any more.

Your base reflex save remains the same because changing into wolf does not give you any kind of bonus. But you do gain striding 15% and SA damage in wolf form
    from AbyssalMage.
    I honestly feel that im running at the same speed as everyone else, even with 30 striders on.

What is SA damage ?

Thanks.
    That sucks.......I thought saves would be effected by what form your in?

Anyway there are ways to buff it, GH, and other things. Can you cast fire shield yet? I find that spell to be great if a lot of the hostile magic coming your way is fire/ice based, im not sure how high a level it is to craft absorption items, and what the min levels are for those, but it might be worth a look at.Sorry those are only ways to mitigate incoming fire/ice damage they don't really answer how to up your reflex, and there are other things that your reflex save protects you from.

As to the AC...... Thats 50 in the screenshot? That appears pretty good for level 14, the old calculations was 50 was good for gianthold. Not so sure about now. Can you switch out/in things into your hands while in form? If not that may limit what gear you can switch around to suit the situation.

It was 50AC, its 55 now that I am level 15.
    I ran though GH today and even managed to do the Crucible swim with lots and lots of sweating, swearing and pot drinking.