Community Member

Default Second rogue level....when?

HI all,

I'm trying a build out at the moment which is Bard 16/Fig 2/Rog 2.

So far I'm level 8 and I'm Bard 5/Fig 2/Rog 1.

I need Bard level 7 (i.e. cLevel 10) to get Haste and Displacement, and if I wait til Bard 8 I will also get Good Hope and a better Inspire Courage.

My options seem to be Rogue 2 at 9, 11 or 13, but I don't really like any of those options. 9 is tempting, but means no haste til level 11. 11 means that I have to wait til 12 for good hope - that's probably doable. Level 13 is just way too late (in my mind) to wait for evasion.

Is there any real disadvantage to taking a rogue level at an even* number?

Thanks,

Ist.

EDIT: Meant EVEN level, not odd.
    Last edited by Istaria1; 07-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    HI all,

I'm trying a build out at the moment which is Bard 16/Fig 2/Rog 2.

So far I'm level 8 and I'm Bard 5/Fig 2/Rog 1.

I need Bard level 7 (i.e. cLevel 10) to get Haste and Displacement, and if I wait til Bard 8 I will also get Good Hope and a better Inspire Courage.

My options seem to be Rogue 2 at 9, 11 or 13, but I don't really like any of those options. 9 is tempting, but means no haste til level 11. 11 means that I have to wait til 12 for good hope - that's probably doable. Level 13 is just way too late (in my mind) to wait for evasion.

Is there any real disadvantage to taking a rogue level at an even* number?

Thanks,

Ist.

EDIT: Meant EVEN level, not odd.
    Generally speaking I take my second rogue level after my first PrE. So after you take Bard 6, I would take Rogue 2. Now for Wizard or Druid, I would delay Rogue 2 for Wiz/Dru level 7 for FW and RR (?) respectively. Haste and Rage are nice but duration and SP make keeping them up at lower levels harder so rage clickies and fighter haste boosts (from enhancements) is what I generally use.

Community Member

Actually, that's not bad advice - I'll get WC I at level 9, and could then take rogue at 10...I may just put it off til 11. I'll have to wait for Good Hope, but I've lived without it so far :P

You know, when I typed this I really wasn't thinking of the PRE - my brain must have fallen out of synch.

Thanks for the good input, as usual, Aby

Ist.

good input has already been given but I'd like to add to that that rogue lv 2 gives you evasion when you are wearing light armor or clothes. So if you find yourself being hit by area of effect attacks like fireball/meteor/ice storm a lot and or traps, then you might want to take it. I usually take my rogue levels right away at level 3 and 4, but doing it after your first lv 6 path works as well, it is a must though if you want a proper character.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Generally speaking I take my second rogue level after my first PrE.
    Excellent rule of thumb.