Thread: Ddo shutdown

Community Member

Default Ddo shutdown

Sorry for my bad english.
    Is it possible that turbine will shutdown servers soon?
    Because when i play i dont see so much people in game.

A lot of people are currently playing in the closed beta, would be my guess.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

It could be NWO, or Summer in Northern Hemisphere, or the Beta, or the fact that the game is 7 years old...

If it ever gets that bad, they'll merge servers before shutting down. Plenty of life left in my opinion
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Community Member

It may also depend on time and server. Right now, it is early afternoon in Europe, late night in Australia, and morning in U.S. Check different servers and see how small the scroll bar button is in the Who panel. The smaller, the more people are on.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

15:00 CEST (europe summer time - not primetime at all) i can see three LFMs on Thelanis around my level + 1 opened for Crystal Cove.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Quote Originally Posted by Vernthum View Post
    Well, considering DDO currently has around 100,000 subscribers, not including it's F2P or it's Premium members, and their other game, Asheron's Call, which is strictly subscription based, has around 15,000 subscribers and is older than dirt, I don't think we have a lot to worry about with DDO.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    A lot of people are currently playing in the closed beta, would be my guess.
    You are wrong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Well, considering DDO currently has around 100,000 subscribers
    Wheee! Making things up is fun!
    Asheron's Call, which is strictly subscription based, has around 15,000 subscribers
    Asheron's Call is also not based on IP, and does not require licensing fees to keep operating.

I doubt that the DDO servers are going to be shut down any time soon, though. The team working on it may have been reduced in size significantly, but it seems like they are still committed to finding more and more way to nickle and dime every last cent that they can out of players.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

It's always slow before a new launch, so far as I can tell. I wouldn't be too worried just yet.
    It's definitely an N-word.

The servers won't get shut down until there is no longer enough revenue intake to justify the operating expenses. That may end up happening after the Enhancement Pass, it remains to be seen what kind of fallout such sweeping changes will have. That degree of change can kill games, if executed poorly.

That said, a significant amount of people are taking a break right now because the last big content update was several months ago, and most people got the items they wanted and have nothing left to do. Most of the raid loot in the game is horribly outdated, so there's really only four raids that get any attention anymore (Web, FOT, Shroud, and VON6). Most of the people who still play are on a TR binge, mostly out of fear they'll lose their ED exp in the future.

There's also a fair amount who stepped off to the sidelines when they read how badly their toons were being nerfed with the ENH pass, and are refusing to invest any more time/money in the game until they see how it is when it goes live. Some of those may return, some may quit forever when it goes live.

Altogether, I think we'll see a spike in activity with U19 as people return to play the new stuff and experience the enhancement changes, and then after a month or two activity will die back down. That is, of course, assuming the ENH pass isn't a total catastrophe that drives players away by the dozen because of nerfs/bugs.

The Hatchery

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    It could be NWO
    Oh god I hope not. I tried it, it was incredibly boring. Literally a WoW clone, and it had the sparkly quest trail (designed for idiots). Good riddance to anyone who would be entertained by that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    it seems like they are still committed to finding more and more way to nickle and dime every last cent that they can out of players.
    I haven't paid a single dime in months and yet I can still [some activity that "elite" players do a lot].

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

You don't see much people through LFM or by looking at the list ?

- LFM is tending towards death due to the retarded streak, the fact that it's easy to solo, and that it's quicker to solo elite than to bother with a party.
    - for the list, lots of people are anonymous, as such they don't appear in the list... that's specially true for the Clerics, as once upon a time they were constantly nagged through tells to join this or that party.

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    It could be NWO, or Summer in Northern Hemisphere, or the Beta, or the fact that the game is 7 years old...

If it ever gets that bad, they'll merge servers before shutting down. Plenty of life left in my opinion
    ^THIS^

Before they shut down Europe ( long before they did the shut down ) they moves from 5 servers to 2 servers ( Aureon, Onatar and Boldrei were merged into Keeper, the other two servers in Devourer ), they will do that before shutting down the game.

Another point is that as long as the game income ( subscriptions and store ) covers the hardware and software maintenance cost, they are going to keep the game running. In the Online gaming community, as long as it can brings you money, even if it's 1 cent a month, you keep it up, you kill it when it starts costing you money over a year.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Which server are you on? How are you determining those who are playing?
    Last edited by Ryiah; 07-27-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers