Thread: ranger splash

Default ranger splash

so my aa is kinda a wierd build -

14 ranger 2 pally 2 rogue

the idea with her was simple - ranger gives me ranged feats and twf, rogue gives me umd and traps, pally gives me saves.

its working out ok so far in heroics, but looking at my last two levels, im not sure which way to go.

my orginal plan was 15 ranger, 3 rogue, 2 pally.

that gets me more sneak damage, more skill pts.

but if i go 3 pally instead, i get fear immunity!

Not sure if thats worth it. but could be fun

if i go 16 ranger, i get what more sp? 1 more spell slot?

that doesnt appeal to me.

thoughts?

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Why not 14Ranger/3Rogue/3Pali?

Personally I'd either go with the 15/3/2 or 14/3/3 splits.

16/2/2 split doesn't work so well with Ranger as the base class imo, but it can be done. But Not really a good idea with your class choices imo.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

hadnt thought about 14 ranger levels

this is a tr, last build was 12/6/2 fighter ranger rogue

what would i lose from the ranger levels of going 15 vrs 14?

i want the pally levels, but just cant see how it will work out when i can just slot fear immune

thanks

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    hadnt thought about 14 ranger levels

this is a tr, last build was 12/6/2 fighter ranger rogue

what would i lose from the ranger levels of going 15 vrs 14?

i want the pally levels, but just cant see how it will work out when i can just slot fear immune

thanks

hob
    As I remember it you're only losing about 40 SP, 1 will save, and 1 spell slot for 14 Ranger vs 15 Ranger, and 1 Favored Enemy.
    The biggest issue would be deciding between CSW, or FOM; and having to deal with only 3 favored enemies.(Usually all you will need anyways tbh)

But looking at the pro's/cons 15 Ranger offers a lot more than 3 pali.

Personally I would go with your original 15/3/2 idea.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

15th level of ranger gets you a second level 4 spell slot. Whether you plan to use cure serious wounds to cure yourself probably would determine how important this is to you. Freedom of movement is also a great spell.

It also gives you a 4th favored enemy, and a little more damage against all your favored enemies.

3rd level of rogue gives you an extra 1d6 sneak attack damage. 4th level of rogue gives you an enhancement for plus 3 sneak attack damage, uncanny dodge. 4 levels of rogue is worth considering too.

Community Member

Fear immunity is only a yellow slot away anyway (Topaz of Fear Immunity), so don't factor that into your class plan.

isnt there buffs and gear that can give you fear immunity?

anyway I think the 15/3/2 split is the best bet.........but this is coming from someone who should be asking *you* for ranger build advice.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 07-27-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    isnt there buffs and gear that can give you fear immunity?
    Greater Heroism, available from Planar Gird clickie if nowhere else. 11 min duration, IIRC.

Though that's only 1/rest, its fairly annoying to farm, and many caster monsters that cast Fear on you also cast Dispel.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Greater Heroism, available from Planar Gird clickie if nowhere else. 11 min duration, IIRC.

Though that's only 1/rest, its fairly annoying to farm, and many caster monsters that cast Fear on you also cast Dispel.
    necklace from amarath, I forget the quest but it drops in TOD chest, one before the endfight purple dragon night set necklace? I know it has a gh clickie on it, and it was much easyier to get than my gird clickies. Same duration as gird.

TOD and amarath does have some nice clickies, gh/jump/ ........the best koromars belt or whatever its called. Disco stu's belt heh,

Does prot evil, heroism, and good hope offer any protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    so my aa is kinda a wierd build -

14 ranger 2 pally 2 rogue

the idea with her was simple - ranger gives me ranged feats and twf, rogue gives me umd and traps, pally gives me saves.

its working out ok so far in heroics, but looking at my last two levels, im not sure which way to go.

my orginal plan was 15 ranger, 3 rogue, 2 pally.

that gets me more sneak damage, more skill pts.

but if i go 3 pally instead, i get fear immunity!

Not sure if thats worth it. but could be fun

if i go 16 ranger, i get what more sp? 1 more spell slot?

that doesnt appeal to me.

thoughts?

hob

Really depends if you plan on keeping the character through at least 25 [or 28] or just going to TR again at less than 25?

I'd look on DDO Wiki at the Alpha enhancements before deciding on the last levels as it seems the Enhancement Pass is coming in the expansion... so your build will change even it's current state.

May find that 14RNG/4ROG/2PAL would work to get trap/UMD from Rogue Mechanic... as it seems that all Assassins & Arcobats forgot about all their Rogue skills... Assassins only know how to do damage and Acrobats are obsessed with their Quarterstaves.

On another note you'll now lose 10 hp of maximum for the Improved Heroic Durability feats for not having rounded 5 levels in a class...
    20 [class] or 15/5 or 10/10 or 10/5/5 = 20hp
    16/2/2 = 15hp
    14/4/2 or 14/3/3 = 10hp

plus loss of any current toughness enhancements... there are only a few race/prestige hp upgrades in new enhancements.

Although this shouldn't be much of a problem since melees didn't need HP anyways...

any build advice prior to the Enhancement Pass may be moot at this point as even the current EP may not be what hits the live servers.
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Fear immunity is only a yellow slot away anyway (Topaz of Fear Immunity), so don't factor that into your class plan.
    This ^^

15/3/2, the 3rd level of Pally isn't worth it.

You could always go 14/2/4 and take 4 levels of paladin for the divine spells that Pally offers.

That would also give you a second Lay hands if you used that, not to mention Pally Toughness I and II

Pally Devotion I & II (in case you are not using Ranger)

and an Extra Smite Evil, if you use that.

So, going 4 levels of Pally, could be fun as well. Something to consider.

Community Member

There is no need to have more than 2 levels of paladin. Fear is not a concern because you will be able to UMD GH and will be immune to it.

There is really no need to go above 14 in ranger since that gives you CSW and the extra level doesn't give you that much more healing. Depending on your destiny you may get full 15 levels worth of csw anyhow.

That leaves rogue. More skill points, sneak damage for sure.

Here is an idea. If you are using rogue for simply UMD and traps, use arti instead. Go Half elf rogue dili for 3d6 sneak, and 2 arti gets you the same UMD/traps, not to mention elemental weapons. If you don't need the rogue for evasion, imho 2 arti is better.
    Bhask the Unseen 21 Rog(tr 3), Tangoh 15 Barb(tr life 3),Domand d'Jorasco 18/2(tr4 )sorc/paly BF, Nilock 20(tr life 3), Domandi 20/8 1st life shuriken thrower.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by domandi View Post
    Here is an idea. If you are using rogue for simply UMD and traps, use arti instead. Go Half elf rogue dili for 3d6 sneak, and 2 arti gets you the same UMD/traps, not to mention elemental weapons. If you don't need the rogue for evasion, imho 2 arti is better.
    I was going to say 14 Ranger/4 Rogue/2 Pally but I really like this idea.

Just have to put up with being a HElf

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    There is really no need to go above 14 in ranger since that gives you CSW and the extra level doesn't give you that much more healing. Depending on your destiny you may get full 15 levels worth of csw anyhow.
    FoM is worth it.