Default So I was checking out the wiki, and noticed something odd about Cove items....

....namely, none of them have augment slots until level 20. Of course, the devs have been busy with a lot of other important things *glances down towards the Lammania forums*, so it's understandable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    ....namely, none of them have augment slots until level 20. Of course, the devs have been busy with a lot of other important things *glances down towards the Lammania forums*, so it's understandable.
    That is because they used to be epic augment slots and the loot hasn't kept up with all the changes in the game.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Hero

Yea as the post above stated, these items were designed 3 (?) years ago and haven't been updated much since. That's long before heroic augments came into play.

You may notice the same thing is true of cannith challenge items. Not as old as cove items, but still old school.

I'd like to see them do an update pass on the attack on stormreach loot myself. This is one of the most popular chains in the game, but aside from the sora kell set, which doesn't even necessarily need the upgrading, most of the loot is kind of meh.

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Not to be a jerk about this, but take something like Cavalry Plate. At lvl 16, tier 3 you get:

+5 Armor,
    Mithril (still considered medium armor, I believe),
    Demonic Shield,
    Greater False Life,
    Damage Reduction 3 / Chaotic
    and a Resistance boost of +4.

And you want to now add an augment slot? You have named armor at ML 18 that doesn’t have all those sorts of goodies in it. You want to talk about OP? Adding an augment slot to that would guarantee that anything that can wear heavy armor would wear nothing but Cavalry Plate.

As it is, it is one of the more popular armors out there for the reasons I’ve illustrated above.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Not to be a jerk about this, but take something like Cavalry Plate. At lvl 16, tier 3 you get:

+5 Armor,
    Demonic Shield,
    Greater False Life,

And you want to now add an augment slot? You have named armor at ML 18 that doesn’t have all those sorts of goodies in it. You want to talk about OP? Adding an augment slot to that would guarantee that anything that can wear heavy armor would wear nothing but Cavalry Plate.

As it is, it is one of the more popular armors out there for the reasons I’ve illustrated above.
    Actually, anything that can wear medium armor. For heavy armor wearers the mithral making it medium can be seen as a drawback as it lowers PRR.

Community Member

And you want to now add an augment slot?
    This was basically my thought on the matter too. A couple of the Cove items are already so good that they are practically required gear on every toon I run, and several others are useful enough to stick around despite my eternally-overcrowded inventories. Adding augment slots to all sorts of Cove items would be mega-overkill.

Augment slots should be added to items that underperform for their treasure group. For example, AFAIK, the Carnifex was one of the few Delera's items that did not get an augment slot; why should it, when it was the one thing everybody was farming for?

+5 Armor,
    Demonic Shield,
    Greater False Life,

In the case of that version of Cavalry Plate, they could just make the +4 to saves an augment slot with a +4 saves gem in it. The devs did something very similar to a bunch of items, including Minos Legens. They didn't make it more powerful, they just gave you the option to leave it as powerful as it was before the update, or put something else in at the cost of the augment that's already slotted in it.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arlannis View Post
    This was basically my thought on the matter too. A couple of the Cove items are already so good that they are practically required gear on every toon I run, and several others are useful enough to stick around despite my eternally-overcrowded inventories. Adding augment slots to all sorts of Cove items would be mega-overkill.
    Really? I've yet to find a use for any of the cove items outside of the (ML4)trinkets while leveling, and the caster stick at level 16(tier3). Everything is else is just meh. I guess the Cove hats have their place if you don't already have something better/can afford the helm slot in your gear set-up while leveling. They certainly look awesome, I'll give 'em that. And then Elemental Gems are nice for characters with sneak attack..

But that's really it. Nothing else is even remotely useful as far as I can see. At least, not on any of my toons.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    You may notice the same thing is true of cannith challenge items. Not as old as cove items, but still old school.
    Yeah I find it super annoying that Heroic challenge items get +crafted and Epic items get augments, when augments don't raise the ML (when you're Heroic and that matters) and crafting does (when you're endgame, and you'd rather have the versatility of +crafted since the ML doesn't matter as much)

I'd much rather stick a ruby in a L12 Elemental Khopesh and have it stay ML12, and then get Crafted +5 on the Epic version where I could stick in Metalline of Righteous to make it a DR beater, or Screaming of Pure Good to get better bonus damage than even a L24 Ruby - or whatever new stuff the EP might bring to crafting, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Really? I've yet to find a use for any of the cove items outside of the (ML4)trinkets while leveling, and the caster stick at level 16(tier3). Everything is else is just meh.
    Spyglass is awesome too. +20 spot/search, TS, +3 UMD and green slot.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    The spyglass level 16 is great too.. true seeing +15 spot/search and +3 umd..

Also the level 16 and 20 rings are pretty good, good luck and dex in same slot with the protection bonus and a slot at level 20.

Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    The spyglass level 16 is great too.. true seeing +15 spot/search and +3 umd..
    And +1 exceptional int!

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Meh, I guess it's alright if you don't have something better, or have those things already covered.
    I just personally haven't found a use for them on any of my toons yet.
    I have made them, they just sit in my bank taking up space. lol
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Level cap going up to 30 next year, maybe they ought to be planning the level 30 cove loot and skip 24/28ish?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Really? I've yet to find a use for any of the cove items outside of the (ML4)trinkets while leveling, and the caster stick at level 16(tier3). Everything is else is just meh. I guess the Cove hats have their place if you don't already have something better/can afford the helm slot in your gear set-up while leveling. They certainly look awesome, I'll give 'em that. And then Elemental Gems are nice for characters with sneak attack..

But that's really it. Nothing else is even remotely useful as far as I can see. At least, not on any of my toons.
    The items I had in mind have mostly already been mentioned in the previous few posts:

Bucc's Ring is the big one, I've got at least one for each level 8/12/16/20, and it's the one that's "almost required" on my toons.

The spyglass is very good, assuming your build needs several things it offers. Otherwise, of course it is "meh". I use it on a couple of toons, often in swap-out mode.

And the ML 4 trinkets were also on my list, some of them still in use at considerably higher than 4th level.

Although, keep in mind two things:
    1) I have a dozen active toons but only one capped and not a single TR among them... so YMMV if you've spent several lifetimes farming level 20+ gear and/or are a pure end-game player.
    2) I love the Cove to death and would be farming it for fun even if I no longer needed the items.

There are also a couple items I'm really not sure about, as I've never had a good way to evaluate them. Would be curious to hear what others think:

The Swashbuckler has a lot of tricks packed into it. OTOH, I always end up deciding it's better to be using both hands for weapons. I suspect in every way it might be useful, something else can be more useful.

The Cutlass might be wicked or worthless, as I've gotten no feel at all for how useful slicing/bleeding/lacerating damage is. Again, I always end up choosing to use other weapons, because I do know how well they will fare.