Default IBYH: That's right I Bring Your Heals

So last night finds me running cove runs for a while but honestly it got kinda boring after a while. I swapped off my capped PM and decided to dust off my lonely Dwarven Favoured Soul. He hasn't been outta the stable in over a year and needed to run. (Gods how I hate having to look at the back of a Dwarfs while playing the toon but I digress)

I open up the LFM panel thinking it’s about time he ran the Attack on Stormreach chain. Low and behold I see 2 different LFM’s up. One running elite BB with 3 in it. 1 Running Hard “for XP” with a pair. Both were BYOH groups. Hmmmm…. I started thinking about all the BYOH drama around of late and decided I didn’t really want to run with that kind of crew because we all know if I don’t nanny them someone’s going to come on here and complain about it.

So I decided to avoid the BS and just start my own group and run the nannybot for once. I tossed it up like so.
    “Stormreach chain … IBYH, that’s right I bring em.”
    Then I jump onto the ship to grab some buffs.

Well in less than 4 minutes I am buffed and have accepted the first five to hit my LFM. I have a WF Archmage, a Drow Ice Savant, Halfling Ranger-Rogue, a Half-orc Barbarian, my Dwarven Favoured Soul and … I shudder to admit it … a Human Bard … yeah and a pure bard at that.
    2 minutes later we are gathered up at the Assault on Summerfield entrance and take the plunge.

What followed was an amazing 50ish minute run through all four quests. We finished siegebreaker just after by ship buffs ran out alas. But that isn't the amazing part in any way. The amazing part is that we ran this group with no deaths at all. And what’s more I think I only had to throw 3 healing spells on other toons the entire run with the Bard of all people throwing about the same, hell I am pretty sure I saw the ranger toss the odd Cure as well.

The Ranger-Rogue … good aggro management with a little CLW love tossed in.
    The Archmage … he self repaired, thought could learn a little better aggro management too bad he wasn't CC specced
    The Barbarian … well common the guy is a giant damage sponge so yeah he’s the one who took the heals from me and the Bard but had good CC and a cleaving machine.
    The Savant …. He managed his agro took almost no damage, alas dumped UMD (silly boy we had a talk)
    The Bard … self healed the little he needed and had most things dancing in front of him, great CC.
    Me …. Yeah I heal myself a lot, apparently they hate dwarfsses or something, plus his gear is WAY out of date LOL

On the whole, in a “I BRING YOUR HEALS” group we had 4 toons with decent to good self healing ability and 2 with next to none outside of CSW pots. The more amazing part though to me is that I didn't need to throw a quarter of the healing in this group for the whole chain as I would normally have had to throw in a BYOH smaller group in a single quest.

I would say we completed the quests about the same speed. An hour for the 4 quests with 2 Sell-repair breaks is pretty reasonable in my book. And it ran hella smooth.

I think I just may have found some magic formula for the LFM panel. And I even have a theory why that might be. I suspect that a lot of players are getting tired of the typical BYOH, don’t you dare cost me 10%, zerg all the time, be useful scene. They just want to play the quests grab some loot and XP and do it without drama.

Anyway it was a fantastic run, and an LFM type that I think I will try again. Could have been a one off but with how quick that group filled (the others never did have a full set of 6 running) I suspect it might not have been.

Best part was I actually pulled a damned Silver Mark (those things are so freaking hard for me to ever get) so I get to upgrade my Teraza’s Sight to a perfect sight!
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 07-26-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Community Member

Nice! Don'tcha love it when that happens?

I mean..uh..needs moar doooooom!

Honestly surprised the heck out of me. I figured I was in for a total nannybot run especially considering how empty the BYOH groups were and how quickly mine filled.

But to get 3 people who were pretty much totally self-sufficient and 2 who did at least have CSW pots and all 5 of whom were really good players was pretty much the polar opposite of what I expected.

The Drow Sorc was the closest to what I expected (had a small stack of pots and no UMD) but he was really good at aggro management so that worked well enough. I also chatted a bit about UMD, he was a first lifer and had NO idea what it would be used for. He figured it was to allow non casters to try and cast scrolls or something (close really).

I gave him the low down and he figured he might use his free lesser to get some UMD in there instead of tumble.

On the whole he was a newb not a noob

And the group was great fun to run with.

Community Member

"On the whole he was a newb not a noob" BIG difference there! Huge!

I've had more good experiences with Pugs than bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    I think I just may have found some magic formula for the LFM panel. And I even have a theory why that might be. I suspect that a lot of players are getting tired of the typical BYOH, don’t you dare cost me 10%, zerg all the time, be useful scene. They just want to play the quests grab some loot and XP and do it without drama.
    Too many people are obsessed about XP per minute and it is this mentality which is hurting the game imho, many "self sufficient" builds are hard to get right without tons of gear, tomes, multiclassing and whatever else so for the rest of us we have to make do with CSW pots or SF pots. People need a reminder that this is a game and is for fun and entertainment and is not supposed to be a second job (or even a first one)!

/rant.

Anyway kudos to you OP for thinking outside the box and trying something different, what server did you do this on btw?

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Too many people are obsessed about XP per minute and it is this mentality which is hurting the game imho, many "self sufficient" builds are hard to get right without tons of gear, tomes, multiclassing and whatever else so for the rest of us we have to make do with CSW pots or SF pots. People need a reminder that this is a game and is for fun and entertainment and is not supposed to be a second job (or even a first one)!

/rant.

Anyway kudos to you OP for thinking outside the box and trying something different, what server did you do this on btw?

Stoner81.
    Could not agree more, and thanks!!

This was on Thelanis ... that's right Big T herself!

Well that is 2 for 2.

Ran a Mired in Kobolds with the LFM of "IBYH ... you bring your DPS!" Filled in about 5 minutes and we managed to take down the mother as well. Now I had to toss a LOT more healing in this one but still solid group. 1 PM, 1 Jugg in progress, 2 barbs and an arty.

quick run, even took the optional and managed mamma. 3 deaths in the mama fight and DAMNED close to a wipe but the arty scrolled me up and we managed the completion. Really could have used a little higher reflex save on the Jugg as his evasion wasn't tripping as much as we would have liked but all in all a damned fine run. Fun, XP, Loot and no drama!

Woot Woot as the kids say eh?

...wait wait, you had a GOOD PUG experience.

Trooper: Hey Farva, whats that place we got to with the cheese sticks and all the stuff on the walls?

Farva: Shenanigans?

Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Well that is 2 for 2.

Ran a Mired in Kobolds with the LFM of "IBYH ... you bring your DPS!" Filled in about 5 minutes and we managed to take down the mother as well. Now I had to toss a LOT more healing in this one but still solid group. 1 PM, 1 Jugg in progress, 2 barbs and an arty.

quick run, even took the optional and managed mamma. 3 deaths in the mama fight and DAMNED close to a wipe but the arty scrolled me up and we managed the completion. Really could have used a little higher reflex save on the Jugg as his evasion wasn't tripping as much as we would have liked but all in all a damned fine run. Fun, XP, Loot and no drama!

That quest is a right b**** at level it really is hard to do especially on Elite so congrats on finishing, myself and my guildies often find in quests that the hirelings just can't keep up like an actual human healer can now this could be due to how we play or whatever else but the amount of quests that have been insanely easier with a human healer is crazy but again this mentality of "be self sufficient because nobody will heal you" is just daft to me it really is. Grouping is about team work and that means that healers heal people as well as their own DPS. Clerics can do some very good DPS as casters same for Druids and Favored Souls (imho).

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    I second the kudos. Nice thinking on the IBYH! I might have to try that sometime with my cleric.
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

True that.

I actually have been speccing my Druid as a healer and I have got to say he's not all that far behind an actual cleric/fvs at all.

He doesn't bring mass heal to the game but Vigor/ regenerate really can't be discounted during battle it nearly makes up for the lack of aura. All in all he's not a bad little healer in his own right.

Congrats on having smooth, fast runs... doesn't really surprise me, though. I don't run BYOH because it's the always the most efficient way to clear a dungeon, but rather because it's the most fun for me.

And sometimes, it's more fun to just get my dang completion already
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    Congrats on having smooth, fast runs... doesn't really surprise me, though. I don't run BYOH because it's the always the most efficient way to clear a dungeon, but rather because it's the most fun for me.

And sometimes, it's more fun to just get my dang completion already
    People have fun with this game?

Hmm. That changes everything...

Well done, op. I like to pug for the adventure that the unknown can bring. But it is always fun when things go smoothly too.

But an hour for all four quests?

Yeah probably a good hour I know my buffs ran out a couple minutes before we finished, pretty much just after we shrined for the big end fight.

It was good times really.

Founder

Sounds like the RNG was on your side all around. I hope the group wasn't just luck

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Sounds like the RNG was on your side all around. I hope the group wasn't just luck
    well so far I am 2 for 2 in 2 days ... man that is a lot of 2's! LOL. Maybe it si luck and fi so it's got to be the Karma for rolling nothing but Plat on the free silver rolls for just over 2 weeks now.

Both groups were fantasitic, the second only stuck for the mired though as I had to bail after it. I dunno I am thinking that there just might be a fair number of good players out there who really are looking for smooth teamwork based runs rather than zerg zerg zerg XP/Minute or die type runs.

Don't get me wrong we weren't flower sniffing and there were certainly optionals that were missed along the way (well except mired we did it all there) but on the whole it was good communication, good teamwork and some laughs.

That last dragon fight was SOOOOO close to a wipe but man what a feeling when Mama finally went down! Though if she had say 1k to 1500 more HP I think we would have wiped as the blue bars were pretty tapped at the end there.

Anyway it was a fantastic run, and an LFM type that I think I will try again. Could have been a one off but with how quick that group filled (the others never did have a full set of 6 running) I suspect it might not have been.

Best part was I actually pulled a damned Silver Mark (those things are so freaking hard for me to ever get) so I get to upgrade my Teraza’s Sight to a perfect sight!
    Here’s the problem: you failed that run.

The metric laid out here is that NONE of those characters were optimized to do what they did. They were only optimal builds if they could trap, self-heal, do bard songs, AND cleaves.

And because you enabled their non-self-sufficiency, all you did was teach them to be poor players. The Barb should have done the trapping, the Sorc should have done the healing, and the Bard needed to be tanking. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.

So, in all actuality, your guys party-wiped halfway into your first run. It may not have seemed like that to you, but you did.

I bet you feel pretty foolish now, don’t you?

Well that is 2 for 2.

Actually, in that quest – and I am not kidding when I say this – it probably would have been more effective for you to kite Mama and drop blade barriers so that other people could range her.

I did that once on elite with a hireling – doing nothing but controlling the hireling who dropped BB in a circle, and had a ranger kite her around – and it worked better than I thought it would. It sounded like the PL was bat**** crazy when it said it, but by God he was right.

Other than that, I agree with you that non-BYOH, dedicated healer runs are some of the most fun PUGs I’ve run. I personally prefer them over the alternative.

I always IBYH (but don't advertise it).

Trust no one

It works pretty well...as long as I'm alert. I exclusively play healer builds but don't play builds that exclusively heal, so managing two tasks at once requires that alertness. And a lot of buttonpressing, but that would only be an issue if I needed to get a different computer/key setup or broke a hand or something.