Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texlaw1992 View Post
    It's a Lam-only feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Care to link a dev quote to that?

Otherwise, no its a part of it. There is one in the Wheloon Prison now too.
    Both of you are talking about 2 different guides. There is the guide in the test dojo that grants xp which I think texlaw is referring to.

And the guide grosbeak is referring to is in the stormhorns for fast travel access. *I MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG IN THESE ASSUMPTIONS*.

Cheers! :P! !

**Ok on further reading, no texlaw is not referring 2 the guide giving out xp in the dojo...I think...**
    Last edited by whereispowderedsilve; 07-30-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: misunderstanding
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Community Member

Default My Bad

I edited my earlier post - didn't read the prior post carefully enough. He meant guide in Stormhorns, I thought he meant the experience-giver. There's no indication thus far that the Stormhorns guide is Lam-only.

The astral shard guide is supposed to be accompanied by a completely free guide. We put the shard guide in literally the day before the Lamannia build everyone is playing on, and we put in the free guide in a few days after. Sorry, bad timing on our part.

The free guide works like a checkpoint. As you climb up to various heights, that unlocks the guide's ability to take you there. These destinations points are generally near the central climbing path, not too far away from the dungeon entrances.

The astral shard guide doesn't have the checkpoint requirement, and also takes you right to the doorsteps of each dungeon.

i can not enter the storm horns, click on portal and get nothing.
    picked up quests

very weird
    member of DWAT: BODHISATTVA / BREAKBEATZ / DOSEONE / DROFFSKI / EARASAMUS / ISMIST / NEOSPORING / NYOSH / NYOSHIS / THEDANCING / TONES

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFooz View Post
    The astral shard guide is supposed to be accompanied by a completely free guide. We put the shard guide in literally the day before the Lamannia build everyone is playing on, and we put in the free guide in a few days after. Sorry, bad timing on our part.

The free guide works like a checkpoint. As you climb up to various heights, that unlocks the guide's ability to take you there. These destinations points are generally near the central climbing path, not too far away from the dungeon entrances.

The astral shard guide doesn't have the checkpoint requirement, and also takes you right to the doorsteps of each dungeon.
    Thanks for clarifying. This I am perfectly fine with.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

If that is the way it works, that is ok *I think* also please, please consider instituting this mechanic in other wildernesses(sands/underdark/demonweb/etc).

Asking nicely/politely/sincerely! Super thanks in advance! Cheers! :P! !
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Quote Originally Posted by whereispowderedsilve View Post
    If that is the way it works, that is ok *I think* also please, please consider instituting this mechanic in other wildernesses(sands/underdark/demonweb/etc).

Asking nicely/politely/sincerely! Super thanks in advance! Cheers! :P! !
    Heh, you're not the first person to ask for this!
    If we open up a landscape for any major feature adjustment, we'll add these travel mechanics in too. The usual reason we revisit old content is to add an epic setting to it, and we definitely have some of that planned for next year.

Note: the Underdark does have a fast-travel mechanism already through its magical gates. Do you want other destinations?

Community Member

Awesome. Great news! <hugz>
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

If we open up a landscape for any major feature adjustment, we'll add these travel mechanics in too. The usual reason we revisit old content is to add an epic setting to it, and we definitely have some of that planned for next year.

Note: the Underdark does have a fast-travel mechanism already through its magical gates. Do you want other destinations?
    Sounds to me like there's gonna be an Epic Sands slayer and I personally couldn't be happier if that happens.

The Astral Shard guide leaves a really nasty taste in my mouth, even if we're getting a free type guide also. If this was a regular Update with a large wilderness area, I'd probably be more open to it. But since this is an Expansion, it feels like Turbine is trying every posibble way of double-dipping into our pockets.

Community Member

As I accidentally posted in the Prison thread, I don't mind if it is there along with the free guide, because then it is just an easy button for the rich and lazy. As long as we can earn a free teleport by exploring the area or completing a quest, we should be fine.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not opposed to paying for convenience as long as there are ways to do it with plat or even for free.
    Consider doing these for all wilderness and you'll make it easier for everyone.

Question - how will this work for people who have not unlocked this and that group up with people who have?

Will that mean you have to do like in cases where you have unlocked the portal to the drow cities but others haven't so you have to guide them through Underdark first?

First, thanks for communicating this to us. I very much appreciate it. Second - that sounds great. Adding Epic content to old stuff is a good thing. Feel free to revisiting any old content and add more. There are some wilderness with almost nothing in it that cries for some more attention. Like underdark.

Underdark btw do have some great travelling features where you can unlock portals that'll get you close to where you need to go. In absence of a guide that's a terrific way of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    I noticed that there's a guide at the entrance that can take you directly to any quest. You might consider adding that to every single wilderness that has quests in them.

With one stipulation. Please do not micro transact us to death. We paid for this content and this feature exist in some quests. Please consider dropping the charge completely or make it plat instead (or even something you can find and retain in your inventory by search the wilderness) that allows you passage if you already found the entrance to the quest once.

So example - 3 shards if you don't have the device.

Plat if you have found the quest entrance

Or no cost even if you haven't found the quest yet if you have this device. You get this device by finding 3 items that the guide can merge into 1 single item. That will give you free passage in the future. And since it's a permanent item you can use it even after you TR. Now you need one of these items for each wilderness.

Or you can buy a perma item from the gold store. Either for each wilderness OR a universal one (for more gold).

A) this allows people to pay micro transactions for convenient passage, use plat when they've found the quest entrance, free passage if they found all the random pieces (it might even be given to a player if they do all explorer points which is quite a task when you look at MOTU with all the letters, scrolls etc).

B) it allows people to buy convenient passage once for each wilderness or universal for all.

C) You either make money or people grind out these devices for freedom. Everybody wins.

I'm all for a guide - there are times when I just want to run a quest and don't really have time to run through the whole wilderness.

But at the same time I'd like some free to play alternatives and not the naked shard grab that's creeping into the game.
    /signed
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Community Member

Have only found 2 rares, the harpy and wood woad. Where can I find a map showing rares locations?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12