Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

Default The Official What Goes Up Discussion Thread!

Please use this thread to discuss the Storm Horns Quest: What Goes Up.
    Last edited by SqueakofDoom; 08-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Surveys are AWESOME!
    Bug Things! We like bugs! ... well not really, bugs are bad, but we like to know about them!
    Copy your Character or make a new one using the handy tools available in the Test Dojo.

The flight Pillars have way to may HP's soloed it on EH glad I was on my artificer and not a pure caster or I would have been there forever...

Kambuk

Long quest - varied phases of battle. Nice environment and lots of things to look at. Kudos for the art direction - you nailed it with this pack.

Good - this is a good quest that has a little bit of everything. The end fight pillars are a little bit rough on HP considering the battle is not over when you destroy them - after that you have wave and wave of critters including those shadow thingies with plenty of HP.

I did find 4 chests - I think 1 silver key and 2 jeweled was used but I still couldn't open 2. So I'm not sure about it. Only 1 chest after it was over seemed timid considering how long the entire battle is and 4 of those chests in the quests are optional. I suggest adding 1 or 2, even on EN.

Now the bad.

We pay for this expansion. We pay for it all. This is not free for VIP and it's not f2p. So money wise we've already plonked down all the money up front for the pleasure of play testing this now and playing it once it goes live.

In other words - we have no choice. There's a point where you have 2 control orbs. You can either use UMD only to unlock rooms or pay using shards. I find this awful. I can understand the guide - although it's an enormous wilderness that'll require quite some running so I HOPE that you will consider adding a pay with plat option once you locate the quests.

But having a pay with shard option inside a quest? We're not talking about convenience here. See I used my arti with lots of UMD so I had no problem turning them off, but all these things in all other quests have ALWAYS had several different options. Like removing collars on slaves - tons of other options other the using the pay for option (gold store bell of opening). Here's 2 - UMD OR pay with shards.

AWFUL. It's kind of like walking along this corridor and suddenly you see advertisement for 'Drink UGHA Cola' - it pulls you way out of immersion and it gave me a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the quest.

I like this quest - I like the varied environments and over all I like the entire art package. But these pay for option with VERY FEW other none paying options sucks especially since you first have us pay up front for this expansion and then start digging in our pockets for change.

Default UMD or P2P

Yes, I felt the quest was awesome... except for the Flight Pillars, especially on solo... too many HP and too much going on if solo'ing but doable.Love the progression of the quest... though when I filled out my survey I had forgotten a key issue. UMD or Astral Shards.
    I do not remember if it was an optional or mandatory, but having to use Only UMD or pay to play astral shards is a gimmick right? Though it makes it so you would have to have a rogue/arty or other with UMD to group with, being antisocial(even in mmo) and solo built..I should not Have to rely on that to finish an objective or in this case Many objectives. This Pay us to win the game philosophy with Astral Shards is really creeping in more and more, much like other games out there. Good business model for games but cheapens it and changes this game completely.
    We can bypass aspects of the game by paying real world money for astral shards so we can continue on... Having that option is fine, but with world economy tanking and people not all being rich bankers, having Astral Shard wins in a game that should make us not think about real world... sigh.

Bad enough you have a guide who Only accepts Astral Shards, but having it in a quest as well is just Bad Business. Having other options like Plat or trinkets of some type..many ideas have been mentioned in the forums and all are better then the currant model.

as to the quest... again awesome and yes, it makes the chain feel complete and a sense of closure.... now if I only knew what I was supposed to look at when we fell from the sky...
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That ship has sailed, came back, sailed again, got raided by pirates, became a pirate ship, got cursed to chase after the Flying Dutchman for three centuries, got exorcised to fight in the American Civil War, then got modernized to fight in both World Wars, participated in the D-Day landing and is a decommissioned museum/restaurant now in Key West, Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

"What goes up... better doggone well stay up!"

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    It's definitely an N-word.

This quest is way too long and hard to solo. I wonder if this is meant to be a 6 man raid?

I found the 4 chests, but I couldn't open any of them. I thought they were an end reward, but I couldn't get back to them at the end.

I don't like the graphics once the shadowfell comes (on either side of the shadowfell once it comes, and given that you die if you fall (or mistep in the wrong place) I really don't like it. Given the combat near the edge falling is really easy. (I fell several times running this.)

If you fall and land in many places in the fort you can get stuck there if you have no jump.

So if you don't have UMD or Astral Shards, you can't complete this quest?
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

I did this with my 0 UMD Morninglord Cleric, Obviously I failed the UMD check but the doors still went down though some enemies spawned out of the so I think the is all the UMD/ shards bypass. I agree the end fight needs to be nerfed a little.

Community Member

Default Pain in the ....***

This quest, done solo, is graphically nice, well-laid out map and a total pain in the but to complete solo. Takes forever to hammer down the pillars, then running around killing stuff some more. And shadowfell here sucks, big time.

The chests you don't open with the key should be openable by Rogue/Arti. Make it a high OL skill check but give them a chance.

Red named has more HP than all the other mobs combined, that ... is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by RealKorike View Post
    This quest, done solo, is graphically nice, well-laid out map and a total pain in the but to complete solo. Takes forever to hammer down the pillars, then running around killing stuff some more. And shadowfell here sucks, big time.

The chests you don't open with the key should be openable by Rogue/Arti. Make it a high OL skill check but give them a chance.

Red named has more HP than all the other mobs combined, that ... is a bummer.
    We're adjusting the pillars' HP, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Can you elaborate on the problem with the shadowfell?

Default Awesome!

Definitely the best quest in the chain, and quite challenging. I think this chain is much harder on EH than others in ddo, making norm easier for soloing, but in my view thats a good thing. The floating city looked awesome, and the concept reminds me of one of my favorite games of past days: Shadows of Undrentide. The barriers went down for me without UMD and without Astral Shards just fine- the text stated that there was an ominous snap as the barriers went down as a consequence. I'm not sure what that consequence was, but you definitely dont have to pay to complete the quest. Nonetheless, with everyone else, I'd agree that the astral shard option needs to disappear. It simply leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and represents a true shameless, pay-to-win mechanic. Aside from that though this is the bext quest in the x-pac and I love it. Very well done!

Default Almost Forgot- One Big Bug

I liked this quest so much I forgot to mention one quest-breaking bug. Before going out onto the flying city after fighting the first Wizard its possible to fall into the pit where the Mythallar was, and its not possible to get out. Additionally, the guidance about going into the big hole can mislead one into thinking that you are supposed to go down there, which was the case with me. I was as such forced to recal and re-enter, losing 30% xp. You should wall this off so its not possible for players to mess up the quest this way. Still the best quest in the new pack.

[QUOTE=patang01;5051654]I did find 4 chests - I think 1 silver key and 2 jeweled was used but I still couldn't open 2. So I'm not sure about it. Only 1 chest after it was over seemed timid considering how long the entire battle is and 4 of those chests in the quests are optional. I suggest adding 1 or 2, even on EN.QUOTE]

I am pretty certain the idea behind this is that you are given 2 identical keys and 4 chests, and of those chests, you may or may not get loot from them. I opened one and it was full of stuff, the second was completely empty.

Community Member

Default Fun but a bit confusing

I share the observation that even a failed UMD check opens the barrier - you just get an extra monster or two to fight (usually Shadi-Kar, but an air elemental forms in the conference room). I also agree the pillars have too many hps.

I too was confused about where to go when it said go outside and then find the object, since the map marker still showed the object as inside. I figured that meant you had to drop down, and so had to recall and enter again. Do eliminate that crevasse and make the room floor solid.

The end fight was somewhat confusing as nothing specified that you had to destroy the pillars before you can finish off the wizard. I pounded him for a minute or so before figuring that you can't get him below 10% until the other objectives are complete. Something in the objectives needs to spell it out more clearly, or maybe he can shield himself at that point and say you can't stop me while the pillars work or something.

Otherwise, a great end fight and well done.
    Last edited by Texlaw1992; 08-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.

graphics and atmosphere: awesome

on the surface ... when you fight a huge wave of orcs I suddenly got yellow dungeon alert ... and dozens of orc clerics hit me with divine punishment ... all at once ... solo (on epic hard / no hire) this wasnt much fun >:[ ... also the pillars and their guardians have way too many hp ... I was sooooo thankful I was using grandmaster ED ... everything is nothing makes quick work of them ... used it twice to kill 3 of the pillars and 2 of the guardians (yes the timer expired inbetween ... which should give you an idea of how long I was up there -.-) ... also it wasn't obvious to me that I had to kill the pillars ... only when I used everything is nothing to kill some piled up mobs and a pillar died as well which in turn activated the objective "destroy all pillars", I realized I could and must attack and kill them ...

Also the objective "Return to the Mythalar" stayed open right until completion ... which confused me a lot when the optional "jump off the glacier" appeared ... should i jump? or first return to the cave? does it matter where i jump? can that break the quest? ... well before i could make a decision the whole thing went down and the quest finished^^
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Somewhere in the land of rain, trees, and flannel. Could it get any worse? lol

Default Pretty cool

I found this to be the best quest in all of the new stuff. It was the most interesting, featuring a variety of mobs/landscapes. It was great fun. However, I also don't like the fact that you need umd or astral shards. I went in on my rogue/ranger so it wasn't a problem, but it's just sad about the pay to win that we keep seeing creep into the game. The port agent for King's Forest doesn't require you to have shards. So why are you now making it mandatory in the new wilderness if you want to port to the quests? Please rethink this. I'm glad that you're hearing us on the hp's of the pillars. They are ridiculously high atm. Finally, the shadowfell does make it hard to tell where the edges are exactly. I fell in the center because I couldn't see the edge, although I might have fallen off anyway. Good job with this quest though...by far my favorite.
    Khyber - Flirtybratt (8/6/6 rogue/ranger/monk), Bratttt (pure rogue assassin) & various other toons with brat in the name. I am, of course, the brat in BrattyTop!

Quote Originally Posted by Texlaw1992 View Post
    I share the observation that even a failed UMD check opens the barrier - you just get an extra monster or two to fight (usually Shadi-Kar, but an air elemental forms in the conference room). I also agree the pillars have too many hps.

I too was confused about where to go when it said go outside and then find the object, since the map marker still showed the object as inside. I figured that meant you had to drop down, and so had to recall and enter again. Do eliminate that crevasse and make the room floor solid.

The end fight was somewhat confusing as nothing specified that you had to destroy the pillars before you can finish off the wizard. I pounded him for a minute or so before figuring that you can't get him below 10% until the other objectives are complete. Something in the objectives needs to spell it out more clearly, or maybe he can shield himself at that point and say you can't stop me while the pillars work or something.

Otherwise, a great end fight and well done.
    actually i had no issue learning you cant kill the wizard. i figured a boss would just vanish until the rest of the objectives are complete :P

Community Member

I died when 30 wolves/orcs/orc caster mobs spawned on top of me and my graphics settings couldn't handle it and I froze out. I was running lower quality than "optimal settings" before I froze out.

Respawned at inn, ran back, lowered graphics setting. Cleared to top of last platform, went back for shrine right before last platform to find out it apparently disappears if you go past it without warning. The only other quest with destroyed shrines is Assault on Summerfield, and not only do you get a warning, you get other shrines, and the quest doesn't take you an hour to find out it can't be completed because of the disappearing shrine.

Couldn't kill spawns fast enough solo to damage pillars enough. Couldn't keep hirelings, wolf, or summons alive vs respawning groups of 3-6 shadar kai assassins.

Didn't see point in recalling and reentering a second time.

What is frustrating is spending an hour clearing trash only to find out how not to be able to complete the quest in the last five minutes.

Quest needs to be labelled as a group quest, and some DM or visual que about the shrines would be nice.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    "What goes up... better doggone well stay up!"

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    Best reference evar.

The CPU load due to the amount of mobs at the end fight needs to be toned down a bit. Getting 30-40 FPS on a current gen machine really shows the limitations of the game engine. I should be able to make use of my 120 Hz monitor on such an old game, but I rarely am able to.

I suggest reducing the number of mobs, but making individual mobs a bit stronger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast