Community Member

Default Launcher Not Working After July 15th, 2013 Update

Everything was working beautifully before Monday's server downtime and new launcher. I've spent two days troubleshooting, and no success (followed all the steps of the online support for the errors I've gotten, re-installed the game three times now, re-installed .NET Framework 1.1, MS Visual C++ runtime). Submitted support ticket to DDO (haven't heard back yet).

System:
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (latest updates and drivers)

The launcher behaviors & errors I'm now getting:
    1) "Turbine Launcher has stopped working" (basically crashed during "Update Programs")
    2) "Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server" (Task: Retry, Progress: Failed)
    3) "There was an error generating the hash code for a patch file." (also occurred during "Update Programs")
    4) The launcher configuration settings dialogue is not functioning properly (check boxes do not appear as checked, radio buttons cannot be selected).
    5) Oddly enough, if restarted, the launcher will occasionally continue to attempt to run and periodically fail with the message: "Done applying [some number] patch(s). [some number] total bytes downloaded" (The number of patches changes unpredictably, sometimes 1, 5, 32, sometimes 0).
    6) The launcher will occasionally appear to be functioning and reach the "Dat files" task, showing that the "Iterations" task has successfully completed and has a status of "Done!", however during the "Dat files" task it will freeze showing the following:
    "Task: Dat files, Progress: 0%, Status: client_gamelogic.dat-10847". Below appears a test message and progress bar. The text message shows, for example: "Downloading file 3 of 7820 (535 bytes / 535 bytes)". And the progress bar is filled with blue squares (with a white background), and shows "100%" (the black 100% text is barely legible in front of the dark blue squares).

I don't know what else to do, and hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, but I haven't really found anything this specific on the forums yet, and I imagine it can't be that unique of a problem, since everything was great Sunday night, and this just happened when the servers came back up and the new launcher was pushed out.

Thanks for reading this.

A bit of a shot in the dark, but when you do the reinstall, do you go in and make sure all the old game files have been deleted? Move your screen shots and skins to a backup location first.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    A bit of a shot in the dark, but when you do the reinstall, do you go in and make sure all the old game files have been deleted? Move your screen shots and skins to a backup location first.
    Most definitely. I typically try to install as cleanly as possible whenever I re-install an application or component. Naturally this involves removing and/or uninstalling any old versions or previous installations. In the case of DDO this required manually deleting the ./Program Files (x86)/Turbine/DDO Unlimited folder, as the "Uninstall" feature in the "Programs and Features" control panel did not automatically remove this folder from my C: drive.

(But thanks for the effort!)

Community Member

Default Windows 7 64-bit Launcher Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbs View Post
    Everything was working beautifully before Monday's server downtime and new launcher. I've spent two days troubleshooting, and no success (followed all the steps of the online support for the errors I've gotten, re-installed the game three times now, re-installed .NET Framework 1.1, MS Visual C++ runtime). Submitted support ticket to DDO (haven't heard back yet).

System:
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (latest updates and drivers)

The launcher behaviors & errors I'm now getting:
    1) "Turbine Launcher has stopped working" (basically crashed during "Update Programs")
    2) "Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server" (Task: Retry, Progress: Failed)
    3) "There was an error generating the hash code for a patch file." (also occurred during "Update Programs")
    4) The launcher configuration settings dialogue is not functioning properly (check boxes do not appear as checked, radio buttons cannot be selected).
    5) Oddly enough, if restarted, the launcher will occasionally continue to attempt to run and periodically fail with the message: "Done applying [some number] patch(s). [some number] total bytes downloaded" (The number of patches changes unpredictably, sometimes 1, 5, 32, sometimes 0).
    6) The launcher will occasionally appear to be functioning and reach the "Dat files" task, showing that the "Iterations" task has successfully completed and has a status of "Done!", however during the "Dat files" task it will freeze showing the following:
    "Task: Dat files, Progress: 0%, Status: client_gamelogic.dat-10847". Below appears a test message and progress bar. The text message shows, for example: "Downloading file 3 of 7820 (535 bytes / 535 bytes)". And the progress bar is filled with blue squares (with a white background), and shows "100%" (the black 100% text is barely legible in front of the dark blue squares).

I don't know what else to do, and hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, but I haven't really found anything this specific on the forums yet, and I imagine it can't be that unique of a problem, since everything was great Sunday night, and this just happened when the servers came back up and the new launcher was pushed out.

Thanks for reading this.
    UPDATE: After another uninstall/re-install, verification of Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 properly installed, Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) properly installed, disabling Microsoft Security Essentials, installing and running as administrator, the launcher has been stuck at "Check Product: 44%" now for over an hour (and this was after encountering a number of aforementioned errors after the fresh re-install). Trouble ticket submitted. We'll see. I expect they are working on it. I completely understand the degree of complexity they are dealing with, and I have no animosity towards them as a result of the issue per se, I just wish they would practice better communication by issuing notices. It seems enough people are experiencing issues for some sort of acknowledgement in the DDO news. The most information I can find is in their release notes for Update 18 Patch 3: http://www.ddo.com/en/update-18-patch-3 which states 2 things:
    "The game launcher has been updated to a newer format.", and some fix regarding guild rosters. So I guess this new format is the problem...and there seems to be no way to prevent the launcher from using the new "format".
    Last edited by Ribbs; 07-17-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Default Same Issue

I am also having this same issue. I have done many of the things you have done and mine doesn't work either.

Community Member

UPDATE: Launcher is still malfunctioning (Windows 7 SP1 64-bit). Verified that it was not a problem with the software or hardware firewall. Multiple re-installs attempted under various troubleshooting conditions. Still no response from Support request. Still no posts from Turbine regarding problems with the launcher. Impression is that everything is OK. Only indication I get that they are busy working on this is the acknowledgement that new trouble tickets are currently taking 3 to 4 days to hear back. I guess I'll have to be patient and hopeful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benmart333 View Post
    I am also having this same issue. I have done many of the things you have done and mine doesn't work either.
    Are you also running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit?

Community Member

UPDATE: Launcher still malfunctioning (Windows 7 SP1 64-bit)

(Hoping tomorrow's update will fix the launcher on my system. So far responses to support tickets have not resolved the issue)

Latest support ticket recommended downgrading MSIE 10 to MSIE 9 (this did not resolve the issue)

(already tested with various configurations of .NET packs installed, including the slipstream of .NET 1.1 SP1 into the .NET 1.1 update for Windows 7 64-bit)

Sent Turbine video capture of launcher sequence and errors. The launcher is most often failing with a "Unable to decrypt or de-serialize the data downloaded from the server" error. Occasionally the launcher will appear to successfully install anywhere from 1 to 4 patches successfully before the error occurs. Occasionally the launcher will crash. Occasionally the launcher will freeze at 44% check product, occasionally it will freeze during the Dat file process: "client_gamelogic.dat-10847", "Downloading file 3 of 7820 (535 bytes / 535 bytes), 100%". Occasionally it will appear to attempt connection to the patch server and subsequently fail in its attempt.

This set of errors seems to occur randomly. I have noticed that each time the "downloading file # of ####" appears, the number of files left to download decreases by the exact number of patches that have been designated as "successfully installed", even though the patches were installed individually over several launch attempts.

(All suggested measures found in the support pages for known issues relating to these errors have been attempted)
    Last edited by Ribbs; 07-24-2013 at 12:46 AM.

my suggestions:

applications that manipulate with files: Antivirus software, antimalware, viruses.

applications that manipulates with the internet: antivirus software, firewall, proxies, transparent proxies in the way, internet speed boosts etc.

also check for any uncommon drive installed in your PC.

There are a lot of random issues, i bet this will be connected with a data corruption during downloading, decrypring or storing data on your HDD.

Also still consider a HW problem. May look strange when everything worked until now, however it may happen when something in the launcher triggered that.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Community Member

Default ISSUE RESOLVED by Windows 7 OS Repair/Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    my suggestions:

applications that manipulate with files: Antivirus software, antimalware, viruses.

applications that manipulates with the internet: antivirus software, firewall, proxies, transparent proxies in the way, internet speed boosts etc.

also check for any uncommon drive installed in your PC.

There are a lot of random issues, i bet this will be connected with a data corruption during downloading, decrypring or storing data on your HDD.

Also still consider a HW problem. May look strange when everything worked until now, however it may happen when something in the launcher triggered that.
    Thank you Wanesa! Your post got me thinking about data corruption. I hadn't realized that their may be lingering OS problems due to a recent RAM failure I had about 2 months ago. I suspect this was the issue since repairing the OS from the original DVD seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure why Windows 7 OEM 64-bit CD calls a repair an "upgrade", but running the upgrade and then running Windows Update several times seemed to fix my problem.

Many thanks for getting me to think a little bit "out of the box"!