Hybrid View

Default What prevents energy/ level drain?

From the description, it would seem that the pale lavender ioun stone should, but it doesn't. At least, it doesn't all the time; it's possible that some of the charges are used up absorbing incoming Energy Drain spells, but I have been level drained many times while my PLIS still has plenty of remaining charges (as in, more than forty.) The Mantle of the Worldshaper also may work sometimes, but I've been level drained plenty of times while wearing it and while it still has charges.

Other than getting level drained and getting a Restoration, what else should I be trying?
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

The spell Death Ward works on energy drain.

I suspect the mantle doesn't work sometime because you may be getting hit by something other than spells. Undead level drain perhaps?

Level drain - necklace from Necropolis helps (5 or 10 charges depending on upgrade).

Consider the concept of using the tangleroot clicky (or another source of deathward) and your PLIS. The boss fight in GOP for example is much less perilous this way. And it works well in many other situations as well.

In lowbieland there are a few sources of death ward to use. The Silver Flame Pendant comes to mind as well. You could also be WF, or a HOTD 2.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

I was wondering whether this was a new bug, actually - the ioun stone had previously blocked things like Enervation on me, and sometimes -still does- but a couple of times it stopped working until I unequipped and requipped it, with charges left, while I watched Enervation hit me directly five times in a row. Of course the other question is how a minotaur seer can cast that spell so fast in a row....

Plis sometimes doesnt stop neg lvl.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

The way I see it working is the PLIS stops the dispel kinds of effects (when coming up against beholders) but not the drains. So if I have a deathward on (from the tangleroot clickie) then that doesn't get dispelled and I don't get level drained. Seems to work for me anyway.
    ~ Khyber - Crimson Eagles ~
    ~ Mellinator ~ Mellant ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    From the description, it would seem that the pale lavender ioun stone should, but it doesn't. At least, it doesn't all the time; it's possible that some of the charges are used up absorbing incoming Energy Drain spells, but I have been level drained many times while my PLIS still has plenty of remaining charges (as in, more than forty.) The Mantle of the Worldshaper also may work sometimes, but I've been level drained plenty of times while wearing it and while it still has charges.

Other than getting level drained and getting a Restoration, what else should I be trying?
    You need DW or to be a wf, if its a beholder you should cast dw, or get it from the goggles clickie and have your plis on, stops the dw from being dispelled.

bad brian14!!! another necro sigh.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 05-04-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    You need DW or to be a wf, if its a beholder you should cast dw, or get it from the goggles clickie and have your plis on, stops the dw from being dispelled.

bad brian14!!! another necro sigh.
    Actually plis stops neg lvls now too iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post

Are you wearing consort bracers? I have been drained while wearing those and having DW spell on, but I will try that combined with PLiS tonight.

Q: What prevents energy drain?

A: Don't get married.

My woman has fleshward goggles she uses on me.

Anywho....

I suspect the original issue was that I had the Mantle on and the PLIS on at the same time. I did have Deathward cast, but I guess the two items were bugged when worn at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Death's Locket also I think

The most effective way is equipping a docent.