Community Member

Default Make guild management and telling who is who easier.

Greetings

Since DDO makes having lots of alts easy its sometimes hard to remember / tell who a particular character belongs to - be that in guilds chat, guild listing or elsewhere.

I would like to suggest a very simply addition to the game - purely cosmetic - which should make this much easier.

Allow each account (not each char but each account) to type in a nickname. Since my real name is Jan and we use our real names in voice I would probably set my nickname to Jan. Lets say I have the characters Mikarto, Smeden and Flyttekassen. From those names nothing shows that they are all mine - but lets instead use Jan-Mikarto, Jan-Smeden and Jan-Flyttekassen. Use those "names" in text chat, guild listing, group/raid list etc rather than Mikarto, Smeden and Flyttekassen and make an option to toggle between adding the Jan- or not.

That would be really great imho - and since its all simply text strings in the UI it should be very easy to code as it simply replaces the "Name" with "Nick-Name" everywhere.

To be truly usefull nicks would need to be unique within guild.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 07-25-2013 at 11:28 AM.

/signed.

The guild I'm in struggles with this so much as many of us have alts. We each typically have one nickname though that we go by. I would LOVE to see this implemented and my guild has discussed similar ideas before too. Please Turbine.
    Kobold say, "Yark Yark!"

As long as its optional i wouldn't mind, but sometimes I run alts to get away from my main toon when I need a break from the regular questing
    crew and some of those alts are in the same guild.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

/signed

I think this is a great idea! I do agree that it should be optional in part due to what DeKalbSun said, but overall I think this could certainly be helpful.
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

Community Member

Technically, I reckon each char needs
    - a checkbox toggle if that char wants to show its nick or not
    - a checkbox toggle if that char wants to be shown the nicks of others or not
    and each accounts needs
    - a text field showing the nick for the account (can be empty in which case no nick is shown).
    This nick needs to be unique within the guild (or unique on server if thats better technically).

Then the code that shows char names needs to be changed to show "Nick-Name" instead of name when the options are set to show for that char and to be shown for the one viewing.

It sounds very simple so maybe it could be added soonish Hopefully alot of people like the idea and decide to drop a comment showing support.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    and each accounts needs
    - a text field showing the nick for the account (can be empty in which case no nick is shown).
    This nick needs to be unique within the guild (or unique on server if thats better technically).

Then the code that shows char names needs to be changed to show "Nick-Name" instead of name when the options are set to show for that char and to be shown for the one viewing.

It sounds very simple so maybe it could be added soonish Hopefully alot of people like the idea and decide to drop a comment showing support.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with your recommendations here.

Agreed on your other points as well.
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

There's a lot of underlying complexity hiding there. I'd say the straightforward way to approach this is to put a text field on the Guild page of each character for "nick" or "title" or whatever you want to call it. Then let each person who wants to type something in that field for each character they want it shown. And a display option for "display <nick/title/whatever it's called>" to determine if you see it when others chat.

You *could* make it unique per guild if you had to, but you could probably work it out inside your guild if it wasn't enforced by scripting. And lack of unique enforcement makes it MUCH easier to implement.

This way each character can - choose to participate, or not, by having a name set. Choose to view, or not, by toggling an option. You don't have to worry about "what happens if you move guilds" with unique names on each account, or what happens if you want to use one nick with one guild and a different one with another guild.

You could also make them *assigned* by guild officers, but that seems clunky and a lot of work for guild officers. But then they would make more sense as "titles" instead of "account reference" if you wanted to open that door and take on two improvements with one code change.

Community Member

I really don't see what's the point of making them per

each account (not each char but each account)
    in the first place.

/signed

Most of our people have 10-30 alts in our guild and I spend a lot of time NOT playing ddo so I can maintain an alt's list. This would make my game just that much better. I'd have to think nicknames would work like toon names and require every account name to be different.
    -Die (teh_troll's unofficial legal counsel)
    Captain’s Crew of Ghalanda
    Characters: Diemmak – Dimack – Dianotherday – Dieinafire – Elieath – Inonelite – Nowyoudie - LivenletDie - DIhard

Founder

and each accounts needs

Sounds reasonable - /signed

Community Member

ALL HAIL mikarddo

and each accounts needs

and each accounts needs

I can see one big problem here:

How are you going to feel if you log on one day to find the Devs have done this and someone's taken your forum name as their nick-name?

Why not simply make the "FORUM NAME" the Default Nick Name - Forum Names are already Unique to Players after all!

If someone wants to choose a different Nick Name then they simply change their forum name.

And in this way we won't have issues with griefers making themselves out to be someone from the forums {Which would happen otherwise!}.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

How are you going to feel if you log on one day to find the Devs have done this and someone's taken your forum name as their nick-name?

Why not simply make the "FORUM NAME" the Default Nick Name - Forum Names are already Unique to Players after all!

If someone wants to choose a different Nick Name then they simply change their forum name.

And in this way we won't have issues with griefers making themselves out to be someone from the forums {Which would happen otherwise!}.
    Problem: A rather small percentage of players actually visit the forums. A lot of people, I imagine, aren't even registered to use them.
    Last edited by Philibusta; 07-26-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Allow each account (not each char but each account) to type in a nickname. Since my real name is Jan and we use our real names in voice I would probably set my nickname to Jan. Lets say I have the characters Mikarto, Smeden and Flyttekassen. From those names nothing shows that they are all mine - but lets instead use Jan-Mikarto, Jan-Smeden and Jan-Flyttekassen. Use those "names" in text chat, guild listing, group/raid list etc rather than Mikarto, Smeden and Flyttekassen and make an option to toggle between adding the Jan- or not.
    /SIGNED!

/maybe?
    Some of us are forumming under a separate account, for various reasons. Some didn't want their forum login attached to their game info, especially those who still have CC info attached. Other people may have other reasons. In my case, when the forum change happened and my original account's name didn't migrate I chose a new one that was later deemed offensive, and my account was banned forever accordingly.

I totally agree preventing false forum ID association/theft/griefing would be a good thing, but would hate to see a forum ban potentially result in a game ban by association.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

I dont really consider that an issue but I suppose others will.

The nick should definitely not automatically be the forum name - many would not want that and some dont even have a forum name.

Instead make it so that noone can use as a nick name the name of any char on the same server unless that char is on the account in question. That should prevent any abuse. If you want to protect your forum handle you simply make a char with that name and its protected. If you are worried about such matters I am sure you have already made such a character.

Community Member

I am surprised so few people seem to care about this issue.