Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Honestly, I've tried Risia. The Icy Burst thing isn't worth the annoyance to farm it. I mean, I managed to get a few of the purple coins, but really not enough. And after a while, it got horribly boring. You want to talk about an experience where even a moment of lag destroys the experience? You need go no further than Risia,

Crystal Cove is one of those events that I can at least get guildies together to run...sometimes...
    Mabar and CC are fun and whilst can get a bit grindy the rewards from them are worth it for most characters (although with the lack of post lvl 20 gear its getting less so) but both Risia and that weird egg hunt thing (which is more of a race than a hunt) are just plain boring and none of loot is really that grant so I rarely participate more that to just do the ice jump once or twice for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Honestly, I've tried Risia. The Icy Burst thing isn't worth the annoyance to farm it. I mean, I managed to get a few of the purple coins, but really not enough. And after a while, it got horribly boring.
    Try the Ancient guide to Risia!(tm)

1. Go farm 60-80k gold
    2. Go to harbor, buy icy burst kit
    3. Profit!!!!!

Or, maybe it was burst!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    Until +7 and +2i stat items are junk, replaced by new expansion gear in less than a month. Hard to be excited about an item that is already outdated. And will be falling ~far~ behind in less than a month.
    So all that ML 20 gear is going to be obsolete because the level 28 gear is better?

np, Ill still use the cove BTA gear for 7 levels.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Risia is only good for one thing. And most of my characters are not melee so...
    Thats not true, I'm still living high on the plat from the last Risia. I finally mastered the purple jump, and that stuff really sells....
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    Who in the world uses rangen loot?

Ice Games are sad waste of time.
    People who aren't caught up in "Item of the month" trends.

"Oh noes! There's a new item out that's 1% better than the one I have! I simply MUST have it or everyone will think my toon is totes gimp!! O-M-G I would just DIE of embarrassment!!"
    Last edited by Philibusta; 07-25-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    It's kind of hard to have a winter festival in the summer
    It's winter south of the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    People who aren't caught up in "Item of the month" trends.

"Oh noes! There's a new item out that's 1% better than the one I have! I simply MUST have it or everyone will think my toon is totes gimp!! O-M-G I would just DIE of embarrassment!!"
    Ok, at no point over the past 6 or 7 years have I said to myself "man I sure wish they'd brinb back ice games". At no point.

If you dig it, ok great...but I think you'll find those who love the ice games more than say CC or Mabar are in the very small minortity.

Should they give rewards that make it worthwile then perhaps so...but as it stands now, the reward/time is bunk. The only folks who seem to dig the ice games are those who do the jumps and sell their stuff for the rest of us to get a cuple of burst kits which sit in our banks and take up space forever.

And I woudl add in response to the jab about item of the month....I still dont get what you guys are talking about. There are so many items at every level that are superior to the rangen loot you can get at that level that its mostly a waste of time/money/effort to bother with ice games. If you say "well my TR likes to play with" blah blah blah gag. If you are one of those TR forever guys then pull the **** out of your TR cache and be done with it.

Mabar and CC are fun and whilst can get a bit grindy the rewards from them are worth it for most characters (although with the lack of post lvl 20 gear its getting less so) but both Risia and that weird egg hunt thing (which is more of a race than a hunt) are just plain boring and none of loot is really that grant so I rarely participate more that to just do the ice jump once or twice for fun.
    I like the egg hunt. I do it with every character mainly for the loot. I decon most stuff. It doesn't require the amount of timing skills that you need to Risia.

My 40+ Jump Halfling rogue just frickin' cleans up.

I did also lie the Eveningstar ice skating thing - much easier to do, and not as affected by lag as Risia.

And I woudl add in response to the jab about item of the month....I still dont get what you guys are talking about. There are so many items at every level that are superior to the rangen loot you can get at that level that its mostly a waste of time/money/effort to bother with ice games. If you say "well my TR likes to play with" blah blah blah gag. If you are one of those TR forever guys then pull the **** out of your TR cache and be done with it.
    You haven't obviously been looking at the random lootgen stuff then.

I've pulled more than a couple items that just trounce some named items at the same level.

And I'm not a TR forever guy.

Ok, at no point over the past 6 or 7 years have I said to myself "man I sure wish they'd brinb back ice games". At no point.

If you dig it, ok great...but I think you'll find those who love the ice games more than say CC or Mabar are in the very small minortity.

Should they give rewards that make it worthwile then perhaps so...but as it stands now, the reward/time is bunk. The only folks who seem to dig the ice games are those who do the jumps and sell their stuff for the rest of us to get a cuple of burst kits which sit in our banks and take up space forever.
    Never said anything about liking Risia. In act, the only seasonal event I DO enjoy is Mabar. And thats mostly not because of the loot. Although, admittedly, last time I was around to do Mabar, I did pick up a couple of nice robe/cloak sets for my PM.

Just tired of the whole "If it's not optimal then it's worthless" mindset. An item can be quite worthwhile without being the latest, most uberest shiny of its level. Besides, it's looking like lately the some of the random loot is getting better than it used to be. Just a couple weeks ago, I pulled a +2 longsword of lacerating from a House D quest...one of the Depths runs (an f2p quest no less!)
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Just tired of the whole "If it's not optimal then it's worthless" mindset.
    Well if it helps I always have way to much fun with the "useless" stuff from both the Jester and Mabar (ie. The Coal/Sun Flask and The Pumpkin Bomb)
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Who in the world uses rangen loot?

Ice Games are sad waste of time.
    You're telling me you wouldn't use a Holy burst of a Thousand suns?

I have a Wintry Kopesh of superior bloodletting, that will get icy bursted, great for anything fire.

It's kind of hard to have a winter festival in the summer
    Its winter down here..................... you know this is a globe and you can *travel* or even look at things on the interwebs.

Anyway I think I do remember a winter games in 2010 during NH summer and SH winter.

I like these events........but i know its been thrashed but it does seem to me, that lag gets worse while these events are going, mabar was the worst in my experience. But it shouldn't matter as im in that 1% or under minority that ever gets lag in ddo.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 07-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Its winter down here..................... you know this is a globe and you can *travel* or even look at things on the interwebs.

Anyway I think I do remember a winter games in 2010 during NH summer and SH winter.

I like these events........but i know its been thrashed but it does seem to me, that lag gets worse while these events are going, mabar was the worst in my experience. But it shouldn't matter as im in that 1% or under minority that ever gets lag in ddo.
    It doesn't make sense for Eberron to have multiple winters in one year...where you or I live is irrelevant to the game world which follows NH seasons.

Trust me if it was a Canadian winter the lag would be horrid due to all the particle effects...probably permanent snow blindness.

It doesn't make sense for Eberron to have multiple winters in one year...where you or I live is irrelevant to the game world which follows NH seasons.

Trust me if it was a Canadian winter the lag would be horrid due to all the particle effects...probably permanent snow blindness.
    But they have had more than one risia games in a one year period. Anyway how do we know how much game time has pass as opposed to real time? When I log in its alway seems to be daytime in storm reach.......................

Yep dont get me wrong, I have some cool rangen items laying around too and use them at low levels when im there...but my point is that the entire event is centered on getting items for adding icy burst (thats pretty much the only thing people care for in the ice games). The idea that we would rather have the ice games than CC is nutty.

That said, I could live with out either one....but if i had to choose one to go away for evermore and never come back it is the Ice Games. The items suck, the idea sucks, the whole process is garbage.

But obviously, to each his own ...and TGIF!

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    But they have had more than one risia games in a one year period. Anyway how do we know how much game time has pass as opposed to real time? When I log in its alway seems to be daytime in storm reach.......................
    Well when that happened the coin lords pulled in a favor from the Twelve and Cannith to get them to "encourage" the cold weather to return...something about Tourism? I iwsh I could find the actual dev post it was quite humourous but lore wise I wouldn't want to seem them do it again or it would lose its specialness.

Yeah like I said.....who uses that ****? So you can icy burst your lvl 4 long sword...big fat whoop. I never left.

you underestimate the power of loot gen items for TRing

I have used the same set of Min lvl 4 (race required) Shock of pure good W/ icy burst weapons for my Melees up until I get my greensteel
    on my Arti splash lives I use a Min lvl 4 (race required) Keen Repeater of lacerating W/ icy burst

I have sitting in my bank a pair of Min lvl 6 (race required) Shocking burst of lacerating that is waiting for Icy burst

Also there is very good random loot gen items that drops at Epic level that adding an Icy burst kit would sweeten things up a bit however I don't know of any combos off the top of my head because, I spend most of my time TRing

Heck I even have a set of Min lvl 1 +2 monstrous humanoid bane w/ icy burst from Ren Fens for smashing Sahuagin

Icy burst never hurts and here is why even if it doe not damage certain types of mobs like Ice Mephits it never heals them like fire heals iron golems so Icy burst it up I say

Yep dont get me wrong, I have some cool rangen items laying around too and use them at low levels when im there...but my point is that the entire event is centered on getting items for adding icy burst (thats pretty much the only thing people care for in the ice games). The idea that we would rather have the ice games than CC is nutty.

That said, I could live with out either one....but if i had to choose one to go away for evermore and never come back it is the Ice Games. The items suck, the idea sucks, the whole process is garbage.

But obviously, to each his own ...and TGIF!

Considering that since Cove has been open I have not seen but 1 LFM for Cove I think the majority of players who wanted anything from Cove have already acquired it.

I do think Ice games as well as Cove could use an update. Make the caster items from Ice Games useful again (they use to be great) and give us some gear above lvl 20 in Cove.

Mabar items got a raise in levels last go around lets see the same in Cove and Ice games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast