Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    Imagine for a moment being a 10 year old kid, first invited by strangers who make you feel so welcome, and like you joining them is the best thing ever, then by the end the are yelling at you, insulting you telling you to un install the game, even going so far as to tell you to go kill yourself before you have the chance to grow into a bigger waste of space. Yes all that was hurled at the poor kid FVS in that run.

Its this kind of thing I feel strongly over and feel the need to see stopped from our game at all costs. Id sooner see DDO end then have one more kid be told to kill himself by same d bag who thinks a game is that important.
    Karavek, I'm glad you were there to be rational and help. I would have reported all of the other players that harassed the FvS. They should all be banned.

And while I have never heard of anyone doing this to a kid, and never heard of anyone going so far as to say "go kill yourself", this is exactly the type of event I was talking about that could make a divine never want to PUG heal again. And again I ask those who say that a divine is "selfish" for not wanting to heal, would you really blame this kid if he respecced his FvS to remove all healing? I would encourage him to either do that (except something just for himself) or find a static group of some kind to play your FvS so you don't have to put up with PUGs.
    Last edited by HAL; 07-26-2013 at 09:51 AM.

It is all a double standard unless you really look deep into it. My last life I ran a monk, and I pugged 90% after level 7. (I knew most of the PL’s, did not start a party, and only joined them). This coming from a guy that hardly goes outside of channel or guild.

I should note that this story is not about a certain guild or play style, just an observation of what to EXPECT. When I started pugging I would find myself with many different play styles, guilds, and people I had never met. Most of them were BYOH, a few were open.

In another thread I was harping on Drow Sorcs, and this is the reason. There were many Drow sorcs in the partied I joined and many of them died at least once in a quest. I went in the quest EXPECTING them to maybe do some CC, Nuke, or just buff. Some were good, but mostly bad. Most that dies had half their mana left, but it went to waste as they were a soul stone. (Some of these groups were BYOH without someone to rez).

After a while, I started to EXPECT the next Drow Sorc to join a party to be worthless. Was this wrong of me to think? I know that this is stereotypical, but it was bad. To be honest with you, I knew 99% of Drow sorcs were worthless well before I started this monk life. I kept in there though. I have until the middle of August (hopefully), before there is much else to do.

This brings me to the point. Many here claim that a Cleric/FS primary job is to “heal”. They were built to heal and they should be EXPECTED to do so. If this is true, should we EXPECT that Drow Sorcs will just get rides in the back pack? Should we EXPECT trap boxes to get blown because the trapper did not invest their skill points in a certain way?

When you start to EXPECT anything in this game, you will be let down. This is why my expectations for anyone is nothing. Don’t start yelling at the “healer” because they are not healing you until you are ready to start yelling at everyone that does not fit the “role” that their icon may make you think. If you want any sympathy at all from be, bash the Sorc that always dies, bash that trapper that cant trap. Maybe the reason you do not bash them is that you are one of those worthless players and you are mad that the “healers” are tired of wasting mana and rezzes on you.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    And while I have never heard of anyone doing this to a kid, and never heard of anyone going so far as to say "go kill yourself"
    I absolutely loathe to be anecdotal, but behaviour like this is precisely why I quit grouping in this game four years ago. Horribly abusive language towards fellow players. Assumptions and derogatory language on each others sexuality, and even players being told to kill themselves. All for the silliest things. So while thankfully you've not witnessed it, sadly it does happen.

I don't understand how people can take a video game so seriously as to let it drive them to be nasty to people.

Then again in this thread alone we've seen people call players "stupid", "idiots", "retarded" and more. I have no doubt those people communicate just the same in game.
    Last edited by enochiancub; 07-26-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    My approach to the bb cleric is to just leave them behind. Dropping any aoe that requires kiting, being an archer that's kiting, basically anything that makes me chase the mob chasing you is a sign that says, "I got this!". If you've got it you don't need my help...time for me to move on to the next quest objective.
    I completely agree. Whenever I use BB and there is a melee who is not already dealing with their own mobs (I of course place the BB to cover their mobs also), I "kite" by taking a step or 2 in and out of the blades and block until the melee peels them off. But BB is a great spell, in low-mid levels it can one-shot just about anything.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    I absolutely loathe to be anecdotal, but behaviour like this is precisely why I quit grouping in this game four years ago. Horribly abusive language towards fellow players. Assumptions and derogatory language on each others sexuality, and even players being told to kill themselves. All for the silliest things. So while thankfully you've not witnessed it, sadly it does happen.

I don't understand how people can take a video game so seriously as to let it drive them to be nasty to people.

Then again in this thread alone we've seen people call players "stupid", "idiots", "retarded" and more. I have no doubt those people communicate just the same in game.
    Yep, I've witnessed and been the target of a fair amount of abuse which is why I seldom PUG. I guess I'm lucky not to have seen the worst. Of course I'm also someone who will speak out against the people doing the abusing. So if it was directed at someone else I can only hope that I helped to stop it before it got this far.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Just to get my 2 cents in: my expectation in a BYOH group is (A) everyone is self-sufficient and (B) if you see a party member in trouble, you'll go help them out. Which means, yeah, I expect the cleric to toss out a heal if someone's about to die; I'd expect the same from the bard, druid, FvS, rgr, and pally - i.e., anybody who ought to have a Cure spell or wand handy. Other classes get a pass since they can't necessarily heal others.

Because if you're not willing to help the party, why didn't you just solo the quest, jerk?

OTOH, if you join a BYOH party and keep shouting, "HJEAL ME!!1!" at the cleric every time you get a boo-boo . . . sorry, dude, but I don't think you understand how "BYOH" works.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    It is all a double standard unless you really look deep into it. My last life I ran a monk, and I pugged 90% after level 7. (I knew most of the PL’s, did not start a party, and only joined them). This coming from a guy that hardly goes outside of channel or guild.

I should note that this story is not about a certain guild or play style, just an observation of what to EXPECT. When I started pugging I would find myself with many different play styles, guilds, and people I had never met. Most of them were BYOH, a few were open.

In another thread I was harping on Drow Sorcs, and this is the reason. There were many Drow sorcs in the partied I joined and many of them died at least once in a quest. I went in the quest EXPECTING them to maybe do some CC, Nuke, or just buff. Some were good, but mostly bad. Most that dies had half their mana left, but it went to waste as they were a soul stone. (Some of these groups were BYOH without someone to rez).

After a while, I started to EXPECT the next Drow Sorc to join a party to be worthless. Was this wrong of me to think? I know that this is stereotypical, but it was bad. To be honest with you, I knew 99% of Drow sorcs were worthless well before I started this monk life. I kept in there though. I have until the middle of August (hopefully), before there is much else to do.

This brings me to the point. Many here claim that a Cleric/FS primary job is to “heal”. They were built to heal and they should be EXPECTED to do so. If this is true, should we EXPECT that Drow Sorcs will just get rides in the back pack? Should we EXPECT trap boxes to get blown because the trapper did not invest their skill points in a certain way?

When you start to EXPECT anything in this game, you will be let down. This is why my expectations for anyone is nothing. Don’t start yelling at the “healer” because they are not healing you until you are ready to start yelling at everyone that does not fit the “role” that their icon may make you think. If you want any sympathy at all from be, bash the Sorc that always dies, bash that trapper that cant trap. Maybe the reason you do not bash them is that you are one of those worthless players and you are mad that the “healers” are tired of wasting mana and rezzes on you.
    I EXPECT ppl to try there best. To play with a group when in group and to use their toons abilites.

So yeah i do expect a rogue to TRY and disable that trap, and i expect a sorc to nuke stuff even if he dies fast. And yeah when i take a divine in my BYOH group i expect it to heal. I don't expect them to run around the dungeon searching for injured (in any kind of group), but i do expect them to drop a heal if in range, not conserve their sp for whatever.

Still trying to figure out how that is soo unreasonable...
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    My approach to the bb cleric is to just leave them behind. Dropping any aoe that requires kiting, being an archer that's kiting, basically anything that makes me chase the mob chasing you is a sign that says, "I got this!". If you've got it you don't need my help...time for me to move on to the next quest objective.

As for complaining about clerics that don't heal, either you had a bad cleric in your group, were below level 6, or you weren't standing close enough to them. The good ones heal all the time...stand closer and you'll get in on the love.
    Destruction and Slay living say 'Hi, BB is not the only thing clerics use to kill stuff with'.

Also you and most other people wouldnt be able to keep up with an offensive cleric in any quest, you will be stuck trying to kill things one by one, while the cleric just kills it all / insta gibs everything.

I get it, so many people in this thread and in DDO dont understand how to play or build a Cleric. Thats why they make / expect them to be healbots.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    And yeah when i take a divine in my BYOH group i expect it to heal. I don't expect them to run around the dungeon searching for injured (in any kind of group), but i do expect them to drop a heal if in range, not conserve their sp for whatever.

Still trying to figure out how that is soo unreasonable...
    If you're the party leader you can do what you like with your group. Hopefully you at least inform the divine who is joining a "Bring Your Own Healing" group that instead you expect them to do the healing...

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Is it equally mean if you are incapped and a wizard / sorc doesn't throw you a Greater Heroism?
    I think you rolled a 1 on your sarcasm check for the mean part. Maybe I should have included a tag.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Someone may interpret this badly.
    One can only hope.

Just to clarify, I AM one of those people that will go searching for the incap'd/dead person (had that a few times in my Tear zergs last night). I don't care if I lose my 10%...if I cared I wouldn't be grouping. I'm laid back, easy going, and even though my current character isn't a super healer (1 ranger, 7 druid right now) I heal my group all I can while still zerg'ing. If someone aggros stuff and kites it that's their group of mobs though...if they ask for help then sure, I'll stop and help them, but I'll also ask them to stop moving if they want help.

Now that's my play style in zerg/byoh groups. Obviously if that's not the group style posted I'll conform to whatever that group wants to do.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

I get it, so many people in this thread and in DDO dont understand how to play or build a Cleric. Thats why they make / expect them to be healbots.
    There are indeed a lot of people who could learn from Larafay.

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post

To all you people who think Turbine is "encouraging" people to solo. It's not true. Turbine simply allows the option. This right here is why people don't like grouping.

Read it closely. It's all about the players. If good people don't pug because of the bad elements in the social scene, then what does that leave? More bad than good? What will new players run into when they come to the game & try it out? How long do you think they'll keep grouping if they receive this kind of treatment?

Sure, Turbine could do what some of you want and make the game sinister hard to play without a group. If they did though & people who grouped got nothing but hazed constantly, they'll wind up just leaving. That's where the argument dies. I hightly doubt people would stay in such an environment.

Community Member

Destruction and Slay living say 'Hi, BB is not the only thing clerics use to kill stuff with'.

Also you and most other people wouldnt be able to keep up with an offensive cleric in any quest, you will be stuck trying to kill things one by one, while the cleric just kills it all / insta gibs everything.

Oh, I get that. But it's the clerics kiting things through bb's that I leave behind to have fun with their parade. I don't have any problem with them blade barrier kiting the entire dungeon - I'm just not going to chase their mobs and try to get in a hit or two. It's incredibly inefficient. Either they know what they're doing in which case me trying to hit their mobs isn't helping their kiting or they don't and they'll end up dead (and hopefully learn in the process). And I'm definitely not one of the people wanting a cleric to be a healbot. If you want a heal from a cleric you stand beside them and you'll probably get more healing than you need.

As for the keeping up with an offensive cleric...that would depend on the toon and the build. The 1 ranger/7 druid I just listed does alright for himself with a Carnifex + cleave + great cleave + reaving roar but offensive clerics are definitely no slouch either. Any toon that can do aoe damage has a big leg up in fast-paced zergs...it's why I build all my melee's for cleave + great cleave and if I can somehow fit it in (can't on the lives I've done lately) whirlwind. It may not be the best in epic levels but for zerg'ing heroic content for past lives I can't imagine focusing on one mob at a time.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    OTOH, if you join a BYOH party and keep shouting, "HJEAL ME!!1!" at the cleric every time you get a boo-boo . . . sorry, dude, but I don't think you understand how "BYOH" works.
    I've got to talk to my 9-year-old about that. He hopped on his new level 7 veteran frenzied berserker for the first time last night for the first couple of Tear zergs. He kept running past me, dropping down to about 20 life or so, then saying, "Dad, you going to heal me already?".

I told him, "if you want me to heal you stop running past me".

His response? "I thought you said this was a zerg group?!?"

Oh, kids.

EDIT: In his defense, the group leader (me) did tell him I had someone that could heal. He specifically asked before he logged on. Remind me not to make another frenzied berserker for a 9-year-old.

Community Member

I wonder why we never see "bring your own trapping" in quests.

I wonder how people would react if a group were doing a quest with a lot of traps and the rogue said "I don't do traps, I just evade them" and left half the party unable to proceed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post

I wonder how people would react if a group were doing a quest with a lot of traps and the rogue said "I don't do traps, I just evade them" and left half the party unable to proceed.
    So in addition to not being able to self heal... you think traps can leave you unable to proceed?

All I can do is shake my head and laugh.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    So in addition to not being able to self heal... you think traps can leave you unable to proceed?

All I can do is shake my head and laugh.
    Why is it necessary to jump to conclusions and be derogatory?

I am not speaking of myself. But I am often in groups where yes, without certain traps disabled, a lot of people would die. Most of them newer players, which the game desperately needs.

The point is a valid one: the expectations to fill roles, generally based on class, are not limited to divines and healing -- even though their incessant protests are pretty much all we ever hear about.

The attitudes I constantly see from veterans make it little wonder that the game has trouble drawing in new blood. Aren't newbies also often told to make melees because they are less complicated for first characters? Imagine how much fun they have when every quest is "BYOH".
    Last edited by Qaliya; 07-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Community Member

Why is it necessary to jump to conclusions and be derogatory?
    Because it is the right response to over the top generalizations and derogatory paper tiger situations such as the one you presented.... and the one below.

Imagine how much fun they have when every quest is "BYOH".

I don't think I've encountered a trap that I can't get through on any class in this game. It's not even in the same ballpark man. In fact, I wouldn't care at all. I'll stop for rogue/arti/splash who is working on one out of courtesy. But I can't recall dying to one in years.

In other words, who cares?
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast