Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

I think its a nice thing to do, but usually groups posted by clerics advertising BYOH implies the quiet lit streak zerging that requires little to no thought past the functionality. I have joined on in pugs that advertise BYOH with heal scrolls and find that toon start counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I see them on G-Land often enough. I *SEE* them less than "hjealer wanted" with only Clr/FvS selected LFMs simply because, instead of sitting up there with 5 people in party waiting around on airships for an hour, the BYOH tend fill quite quickly. Not rarer, just shorter duration on the LFM panel.
    I think the same is true for khyber.

Community Member

A few days ago, I remember seeing an LFM for Impossible Demands EH farming for EDs that were 5/6 full looking for a hjealer only for their last spot.

I facepalmed and seriously couldn't believe that a group of 5 level 25s couldn't breeze through killing a drow priestess without a nurse.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    A few days ago, I remember seeing an LFM for Impossible Demands EH farming for EDs that were 5/6 full looking for a hjealer only for their last spot.

I facepalmed and seriously couldn't believe that a group of 5 level 25s couldn't breeze through killing a drow priestess without a nurse.
    There you go, criticizing how other players run their toons. *sigh*

http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Have you even ever ran the farm in that quest? You kill the priestess in less than a minute, recall, get window, repeat.

You don't even need to be self sufficient to do it, its s incredibly simple without any self healing, or healing from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    If a cleric joining your group means it's no longer BYOH, put that in the LFM please. A proper BYOH group is so much fun that I'll switch to my cleric to run them... and if you take the "BYOH" off after I join, I'll drop.
    BYOH means, Bring Your Own Heals.

Exactly as this guy said.

If it's BYOH.... YOU are responsible for YOUR health. Do not EXPECT heals from the divine. Just because many of them will throw it to avoid the -10% xp, does not mean that they are going to babysit you or hold your hand.

They expect you to be self sufficient in a BYOH party. If you are not self sufficient, do not join a BYOH party. When you join a BYOH group you're making an agreement with everyone else that YOU can keep YOUR health up and don't need a healer to play nannybot to save you - even when the boss is beating your face into the dirt.

BYOH is my divine's vacation from players turn healing into a job. It's where I get to use more than 'Heal' 'Mass Heal', 'Restore' and other 'Cure -insert-status-ailment-that-can-be-cured-with-pots-here'. Its the vacation from people that seem determined to make healing work instead of fun. Such as the WF that don't get their healer's friend up to max/bring themselves out of neg healing (if I can do it with a level 15 Bladeforged, you should be able to do it with any other WF).

I have some characters I won't join BYOH groups with as well - those ones however still carry the pots and anything else I can to help make the healer's job easier, and keep me alive. In a NON-byoh group, my job is still to contribute what I can - including tossing potion-heals as an arty, or casting cure-mod and the like on a ranger - as needed for the party to succeed. Not because I -have- to heal in those situations, but because there's no excuse not to be able to survive as best I can till a healer can get me back out of critical (if I dont manage to do that on my own).

Now...
    As a melee druid, I kept my mass regens running - I figured it'd help (and there were a few groups where I know I healed more than the FVS/Cleric during my melee druid lives). I did this even in BYOH groups, because it really cost me nothing to help keep the party up - I had enough procs to keep my melee dps going sp wise off crits giving me temp sp. I was not in the parties as a healer, so when I backed off and went to self healing only on low SP, I expected the party to accept that.

My JOB was not to heal in those groups, it was to DPS and be self sufficient - and help the group finish the quest. Yet, when I had to back off to more self heals and less group heals as my sp ran lower, people complained. I got yelled at because I wasn't healing, and when I asked why they were ****ed over the lack of heals the answer was: 'You're a druid, you should heal.' Uhhh.. it was a BYOH group when I joined, it still should be with me there.

I didnt bother carrying SP pots at the time either, because I was melee DPS, not running as a caster. That, got me kicked from a few groups - because I was a druid and therefore should have been healing the BYOH party the entire run, and should have been using SP pots so I could heal the other not-self-sufficient classes that joined/made the Bring Your Own Heals party.
    Khyber Character: Main; Manathayria; Rogue making a circuit of paladin and other lives - yes I heal, but I expect a cookie when you don't die.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Have you even ever ran the farm in that quest? You kill the priestess in less than a minute, recall, get window, repeat.

You don't even need to be self sufficient to do it, its s incredibly simple without any self healing, or healing from others.
    so what. you and i and most people agree that they probably shouldn't really need a hjeals to get thru an xp farm in that particular quest, but the point being, you're criticizing someone else for how they play... can't have it both ways... you can't demand someone not give you grief and then give them grief in return.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

Im guessing that the group would have been completely fine without a healer, they only kept an LFM posted for a healer because the leader wanted a typical balanced party with a healer, even though the role was not required for easy completions.

They had a WF sorc and Wizard in the group. Like yes, they really need a healer when the rest of the fleshies could have piked at the entrance if they were taking too much damage while the arcanes duoed it.

Also, my capped rogue could have actually joined and easily popped scroll heals if anyone needed them, but they only wanted a cleric or FVS in the classes needed section, not even a bard or druid were welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    Could you repeat that, I don't think I heard you over the sound of my Blade Barriers, Implosions, Cometfalls and Destructions.
    Hahaha!

I love being a cleric. What I don't love is the sense of entitlement people have about how I play the game. I also don't love the ignorance that people have about what else a cleric does. We can be pretty kick-ass offensive casters, thankyouverymuch. Some of us are pretty decent with the melee as well.

So when someone says "BYOH", they are asking that you be self-sufficient to keep yourself alive because someone would like to play the game without having to babysit your red bar.

One more thing: If a cleric offers to give you free buffs, take them. Because if you run away and trigger a deadly trap, bring a load of aggro upon yourself and the rest of the party, or otherwise get yourself killed, don't come crying to me for a res because you played like some cocky 13-year-old!

All that said, I am usually happy to heal you...as long as you're not a tool.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Well hes brought his own heals as everyone else should have, didn't he?

;D
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

I can't wait for the rage when clerics have 2 non healing prc available, it's going to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyllelia View Post
    Hahaha!

All that said, I am usually happy to heal you...as long as you're not a tool.
    So the toon named hammer is getting no jheals?

Quote Originally Posted by Iyllelia View Post
    One more thing: If a cleric offers to give you free buffs, take them. Because if you run away and trigger a deadly trap, bring a load of aggro upon yourself and the rest of the party, or otherwise get yourself killed, don't come crying to me for a res because you played like some cocky 13-year-old!
    Having played a cleric, I would like to know what buffs our class has that would help make a reflex save against a trap, or decrease agro, or just keep someone alive better then ship buffs and what they can get from a wand/pot/click?

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Having played a cleric, I would like to know what buffs our class has that would help make a reflex save against a trap, or decrease agro, or just keep someone alive better then ship buffs and what they can get from a wand/pot/click?
    Recitation = saves bonus that stacks.

Holy Aura = saves bonus, enchantment immunity (sometimes doesn't stack though).

Freedom of Movement = Less is more I guess lol. But it does help sometimes these days.

Protection from Evil = Ignore being commanded.

Command/Greater Command = Prone mobs cannot deplete your melee's hp. And they tend to aggro on the caster.

Destruction/Implosion/Slay Living = They can't hit you while dead.

Holy Smite/Order's Wrath = Blind mobs miss alot.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I can't wait for the rage when clerics have 2 non healing prc available, it's going to be great.
    Pray that those builds do decent DPS, because if they do not, theres no reason to have them in the group when there are far more sorc who will out DPS these builds by a landslide and still keep themselves propped up just fine.

I love the fact that every option for clerics wont be healing oriented, but players who refuse to play half their class are still less desired than players who will play their full class. This goes for both players who only heal = playing half their class and players who refuse to heal = playing half their class.

Besides, we already have divines in this game for 4 years now whose prc isnt healing oriented. They are called favored souls. I dont see the reaction to non healing prc clerics being any different than what we already see with fvs.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223