Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default A disturbing new trend => server mergers plz

    I’ve been playing this game for a while now (~3 years on and off) and recently I’ve been working on one of my characters on his 10th life on the Khyber server. It seems like groups are getting harder and hared to come by (not surprising for an aging game I guess). But the issue feels like it’s approaching a critical point where players are being forced to wait too long for groups and the game is becoming less fun for it.

    The situation is so bad in some cases that I’m getting more and more tells from people when I post groups asking: “Hey are you willing to buy me a guest pass for that for free, it beats waiting around for more people…” or “Hey will you run me through the 4 prerequisite flagging quests so I can join you on that? It beets waiting for more people right…”

    Now I understand that the game is getting older and the player base may be shrinking. I also agree that most quests 1-20 are solo or duo able even on elite (which I do a lot of sadly) but that’s not the point. I play MMOs to play with people not to solo.

    I’m sure that the devs are hoping that the upcoming xpack will increase the player base and I’m sure it will a bit in the short term but I feel like this will not be nearly enough.

    I feel like all there is left to do is ether find a way to allow for cross server groups (which I’m sure might be a technical challenge and not something the devs are willing to put the work into at this stage) or a server merger. I for one would love to see all the server merged so that the pool of available players is far greater. I’m sure this presents it’s own technical challenges but I feel like without some sort of drastic move soon we will reach a point of no return where the only players left will be those ok with soloing for ever and the rest will migrate to other games never to return.

    I’m sure that one counter argument to the server merger idea will be “well more players on a server = more lag”. My answer to that is, well find a way to fix it there are games with servers that have populations many times the total population of all of DDO. If this is really a technical issue that can not be solved the game is headed in a dangerous derection.

    Anyway this is just my 2 cents as a player that enjoys DDO and a player that is for ever LFM in an empty group.

  2. #2
    2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,794

    Default

    a server merge would be admittance that population is shrinking. a good chance people would see "DDO is dying" and panic. I don't think the population is necessarily shrinking, its just getting spread out and DDO has slowly become a solo game. intentional or not, doesn't matter. many people play DDO for the social aspect. it seems the best way to group is to throw up a "zerg BYOH" lfm, but kinda hard to talk and play fast paced, at least for me it is. people will say to group with guildies or friends, but unless you have a static group, it can be hard to get them to group with you too if you aren't already capped.

    a server merge isn't the answer. the answer is to promote grouping better, bring back actual quest challenge for groups like it used to be and to get fresh blood that stays beyond level 10.

  3. #3

    Default

    DDO has done server merges, there were double the number now when it started.

    Free to play revitalized things a lot. If you think its slow now... just prior to FTP it was getting pretty ghost town like on a lot of servers.

    I imagine Turbine has some kind of measure for when they need to seriously consider it. Last time around it was actually kind of fun as different populations got to know one another.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  4. #4
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    11,599

    Default

    Now obviously DDOracle isn't perfect - for example: when it says "Active" it simply means "Had been Logged on within 6 months"
    BUT
    Taking it's stats for populations of each server from April:

    Thelanis - Number of Active Characters: 100913
    Khyber - Number of Active Characters: 97343
    Ghallanda - Number of Active Characters: 90667
    Argo - Number of Active Characters: 86814
    Sarlona - Number of Active Characters: 82451
    Orien - Number of Active Characters: 69238
    Cannith - Number of Active Characters: 67648
    Wayfinder - Number of Active Characters: 8459

    I'd suggest:

    Merging Cannith with Sarlona - Joint Population - 150,099
    Merging Orien with Argo - Joint Population - 156,052
    &
    Merging Wayfinder with Ghallanda - Joint Population - 100,026

    Leave Thelanis as is for the moment.

    Make Khyber the Default world for New Players.

    We'd still have 5 {FIVE} Servers!

    OR

    You could Merge Khyber and Thelanis BUT I don't feel that's necessary as YET!

    Character Slots - Simple - I have 29 Character Slots per server - Merged Servers would receive all the slots from BOTH!

    If Sarlona and Cannith were to be merged I would have 28+10 = 38 Characters on the merged server!
    I would be able to make 21 more before maxing my Slots


    As for Naming Rights - Again...Simple!

    Franq Ohmsford of Sarlona would join Larystessian Caravardian of Cannith!
    And all characters would have the "Of...." Moniker!

    So No-One would need a name change whatsoever!



    I do feel that if the Devs were to go with a Server Merge they'd definitely take these issues into account!
    AND
    I feel that the only fair and just thing to do is to Allow us to keep what we have!

    i.e. Shared Bank - 80/80 on BOTH Cannith and Sarlona - Merge the Servers and I get 160 Slots!
    i.e. I am the Leader {and Founder} of Scions of Stormreach on Cannith AND of Auslanders on Wayfinder - If those two Servers were to be merged I should have the ability to MERGE the two guilds and choose which name to keep!

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    a server merge would be admittance that population is shrinking. a good chance people would see "DDO is dying" and panic.
    I disagree with this statement, I feel like a server merger is more of a sign that the devs are interested in improving the game play experience for their player base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    the answer is to promote grouping better, bring back actual quest challenge for groups like it used to be and to get fresh blood that stays beyond level 10.
    This is a good idea, for example a new difficulty setting could be introduced that required even those of us with the best gear, builds and lots of past lives to group to complete and reward us accordingly for this challenge. Unfortunately this new setting may be inaccessible for many new or non-minmaxed players but that’s another discussion entirely and honestly I don’t think any of this is necessary.

    If all servers were merged into one all the small pockets of players on each server that are presently interested in grouping would coalescing into one large pool. This would create a big enough collection of players interested in grouping that it would be a massive improvement over today. This would also give more players more access to group content at more times in the day and potentially help in hanging on to newer players.

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Taking it's stats for populations of each server from April:

    Thelanis - Number of Active Characters: 100913
    Khyber - Number of Active Characters: 97343
    Ghallanda - Number of Active Characters: 90667
    Argo - Number of Active Characters: 86814
    Sarlona - Number of Active Characters: 82451
    Orien - Number of Active Characters: 69238
    Cannith - Number of Active Characters: 67648
    Wayfinder - Number of Active Characters: 8459

    I'd suggest:

    Merging Cannith with Sarlona - Joint Population - 150,099
    Merging Orien with Argo - Joint Population - 156,052
    &
    Merging Wayfinder with Ghallanda - Joint Population - 100,026

    Leave Thelanis as is for the moment.

    Make Khyber the Default world for New Players.

    We'd still have 5 {FIVE} Servers!
    If these numbers are accurate why not simply merge all servers into one and have one server with ~500 000 players on it, more players just means more opportunities for grouping and a stronger server economy in my mind. I don’t understand why some people seem to feel like more servers with lower pop on each server rather than one very large pop server is a good thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Character Slots - Simple - I have 29 Character Slots per server - Merged Servers would receive all the slots from BOTH!

    If Sarlona and Cannith were to be merged I would have 28+10 = 38 Characters on the merged server!
    I would be able to make 21 more before maxing my Slots


    As for Naming Rights - Again...Simple!

    Franq Ohmsford of Sarlona would join Larystessian Caravardian of Cannith!
    And all characters would have the "Of...." Moniker!

    So No-One would need a name change whatsoever!



    I do feel that if the Devs were to go with a Server Merge they'd definitely take these issues into account!
    AND
    I feel that the only fair and just thing to do is to Allow us to keep what we have!

    i.e. Shared Bank - 80/80 on BOTH Cannith and Sarlona - Merge the Servers and I get 160 Slots!
    i.e. I am the Leader {and Founder} of Scions of Stormreach on Cannith AND of Auslanders on Wayfinder - If those two Servers were to be merged I should have the ability to MERGE the two guilds and choose which name to keep!
    All of these server merger issues are things that could be solved easily in the ways you’ve highlighted and any other issues of this sort are really just minor problems that ironed out in such a way that the players don’t feel like they are losing anything.

    I’m sure that making a move like this would take time and resources away from the dev team’s efforts to generate new content. But honestly I would rather see a merger like this happening than see a new content patch and I feel like it would be a much larger step in improving the game play experience than adding a handful of new quests.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,152

    Default

    merger servers . . . so we have twice as many people not pugging.

    Makes sense to me!

  7. #7
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,864

    Default

    If their ever going to merge servers they better double, triple,etc. (depending on how many server are merged) everyone's available character slots because alot of people play on multiple servers to try out different builds or play with different people/guilds For example I play on Thelanis, Orien and Argo.

    Besides the main reason its slow right now is a large chunk of people have put their toons on hold until the new enhancement system comes out so they can TR into w/e new build they need to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  8. #8
    Community Member RyonsAlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    You could Merge Khyber and Thelanis BUT I don't feel that's necessary as YET!
    Only if they rename it to Xoriat.

  9. #9
    Community Member Uidolon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    106

    Default

    "new trend" ... its been moving towards solo play for years which i feel is a very dangerous move in a game with mostly bound to character equipment as the time sink endgame.

    i often open up the LFM tab then i grade each lfm by how fast its gona fill and how popular it is and if it is either fun or has a item that could improve one of my toons.
    examples of thouhts on LFMs
    -not gona make it wrong lvls for that q never gone get off the ground- cant join
    -wow a lfm for that quest well gl finding anyone wanting to do that ... not joinging
    -at lvl raid- not at this time of day
    -raid started by someone lvl 16 only looking for 21-25 players yeah sure you need to be carried so badly- im not carrying you and gona take forever to fill
    -oh that guy is frigging weird im not touching his party with a 10foot pole-not joining
    -this item (which is only reason anyone runs that quest) goes to me all other items nobody wants you can have... yeah becuse those posting those type of lfm often joins others and help them ... sure. seen lots of these type of parties last couple of weeks

    wonder if this is how everyone is when looking at the LFM page after they been playing the game for awhile


    ... yeah ill just log off or go farm a dun'robar ring if i got anyone not ransacked on it currently solo ... again
    Last edited by Uidolon; 07-25-2013 at 08:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    merger servers . . . so we have twice as many people not pugging.

    Makes sense to me!
    Exactly twice as many people not pugging… and … wait for it… twice as many people pugging too. Crazy no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    If their ever going to merge servers they better double, triple,etc. (depending on how many server are merged) everyone's available character slots because alot of people play on multiple servers to try out different builds or play with different people/guilds For example I play on Thelanis, Orien and Argo.
    Yeah for sure, I totally agree give every player 5 times the number of character slots and what ever else they feel like they are losing, this is a minor technical issue. Also there is no reason people can’t try out different builds and play with different people/guilds all on the same server right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Besides the main reason its slow right now is a large chunk of people have put their toons on hold until the new enhancement system comes out so they can TR into w/e new build they need to be.
    I would say it is a reason but not “the main reason”. My issue is that there is no good reason for it ever to feel so slow that you can’t find a group for what ever you want when ever you want to. If all players were on one server we would be a lot closer to this goal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uidolon View Post
    "new trend" ... its been moving towards solo play for years which i feel is a very dangerous move in a game with mostly bound to character equipment as the time sink endgame.
    I agree this is not a new trend I just wanted a flashy title to get more attention to the thread so that this issue that I feel needs to be addressed gets seen by more people. Sorry about the deceptive title.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload