Thread: Starchucker

Default Starchucker

Welcome to my current build for Dystopia, which I am now playing into epic levels and destinies. I have been trying to nail this concept for the past 8 years (or at least it seems that long), and think that I have finally gotten something that is fun and at least playable - while meeting my primary build goals of being a uniquely built shuriken focused character and earning me my first Wizard PL. Without further ado, I present Starchucker!
    --

Half Elf: 12 Wiz, 6 Monk, 2 Pal, 5 Epic - leveling in progress (current Level 21)
    L1: Monk
    L2-13: Wiz
    L14-L16 Monk
    L17: Pal
    L18: Monk
    L19: Pal
    L20: Monk
    L21-25: Epic
    --

Stats (36 build points):
    STR: 14 (6) +3 tome
    DEX: 14 (6) +4 tome +3 level-ups (4, 8, 12)
    CON: 14 (6) +4 tome
    INT: 14 (6) +4 tome - tome eaten before TR-ing (important)
    WIS: 14 (6) +3 tome +3 level-ups (16, 20, 24)
    CHA: 14 (6) +4 tome
    --

Feats (7 Heroic, 3 Monk, 3 Wizard, 2 Epic, 1 Half Elf)
    1 Half Elf - Rogue
    1 Heroic - Point Blank Shot
    1 Monk - Shuriken Expertise
    2 Wizard - Mental Toughness
    3 Heroic - Toughness (Past Life: Barbarian until level 18)
    6 Heroic - Rapid Shot
    6 Wizard - Spell Focus: Necro
    9 Heroic - Precise Shot
    11 Wizard - Extend
    12 Heroic - Greater Spell Focus: Necro
    14 Monk - Precision
    15 Heroic - Quick Draw
    18 Heroic - Improved Critical: Throwing
    20 Monk - Dodge
    21 Epic - Improved Precise Shot
    24 Epic - Combat Archery?
    --

Skill points at 20
    23 Concentration
    23 Hide
    23 Move Silently
    17 Spot
    11 UMD
    4 Balance
    4 Jump
    1 Tumble
    --

Enhancements (80)
    6 Improved Rogue Dilenttante II
    4 Monk Ninja Spy I
    2 Improved Jump II
    2 Improved Tumble II
    1 Ten Thousand Stars
    2 Adept of Wind
    2 Winter's Touch
    3 Way of the Clever Monkey II
    2 Monk Wisdom I
    6 Wizard Intelligence II
    3 Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
    6 Wizard Pale Master II
    1 Shroud of the Wraith
    7 Wizard Frost Manipulation VII
    4 Wizard Deadly Ice IV
    4 Wizard Glacial Spellcasting IV
    1 Wizard Force Manipulation I
    1 Wizard Deadly Kinetics I
    1 Wizard Kinetic Spellcasting I
    22 more
    --

Gear:
    L2: Shadow Star
    L8: Snowstar
    L11: Con Opp Goggles (+5 cha skills, immunities)
    L11: MinII Helm (+45 hp, +6 con skills)
    L11: SmokeII Bracers (+45 hp, +6 dex skills)
    L11: Torc
    L12: MinII Shuriken
    L12: Pos+Pos Greensteel Shuriken (eventual triple Pos)
    L14: Infused Chaosrobe w/ +10 reflex
    L14: Litany (upgraded)
    *L16: Crystal Alchemical Shuriken - T1 Martial Fire
    *L16: Byeshk Alchemical Kama - T1 Martial Air
    L16: Skiver w/ Glaciation
    L14: Jeweled Cloak w/ Master's Gift & Deathblock
    L18: Cold Iron Alchemical Falchion - T2 Martial Earth / Martial Earth
    L20: Epic Rock Boots w/ +30% striding & +6 (7) stat augment
    L20: Sun Soul Belt, Bracers, and Outfit
    L20: Epic Cutthroats Smallblade w/ ruby augment
    *L20: Seeker +8 Kama/Shortsword of Major Ice Lore w/ glaciation augment
    *In progress
    --

Thanks for Looking!
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Castaspella Practiced Spellcaster
    Ought Machinist

Yay, another post!
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Ought Machinist

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Not that I think shuriken builds are a particularly good idea - and I am like the self-appointed monarch of gimpy flavor builds - but I would think you'd want to front-load your monk lvls to get 10K Stars & Ninja ASAP. I'm also not sure why you spread your stat pts out so evenly; e.g., do you really need so much INT & CHA?

Furthermore, rather than PM / Wraith, what about AM / Evo so you can spam missile spells? This would have some nice synergies w/Shiradi (if you plan to spend any time in epics).

Community Member

Im currently levelling a HElf AA and at level 13 my Snowstar shuriken seems to do more damage than my Lit 2 Longbow. I regularly hit 120 damage with Snowstar and can get as high as 150, often doing 250 to 300 damage from a 2nd shuriken throw (these happen often). Crit range of 18-20 being 15-20 with IC Thrown is awesome. I tend to use 10K Stars for shuriken, throw more shuriken, swap to Manyshot and my bow, then back to 10K Stars and shuriken.

The only downside is having to do melee damage to get my Ki back up. But that is generally only a handful of seconds. And using Vampiric Handwraps I also get some free healing out of it too.

I suspect with Shiradi the Thrower build will only get better.

Im doing Monk this life (6 Ranger/12 Monk/2 Fighter), Fighter next life (6 Ranger/6Monk/8 Fighter), so that is 2 lives in a row with the same sort of build. Im also trying to work out how to do a similar life for Barbarian, but I cant see that working. I may need to stick with a Bowbarian build there.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    Im currently levelling a HElf AA and at level 13 my Snowstar shuriken seems to do more damage than my Lit 2 Longbow. I regularly hit 120 damage with Snowstar and can get as high as 150, often doing 250 to 300 damage from a 2nd shuriken throw (these happen often). Crit range of 18-20 being 15-20 with IC Thrown is awesome. I tend to use 10K Stars for shuriken, throw more shuriken, swap to Manyshot and my bow, then back to 10K Stars and shuriken.

The only downside is having to do melee damage to get my Ki back up. But that is generally only a handful of seconds. And using Vampiric Handwraps I also get some free healing out of it too.

I suspect with Shiradi the Thrower build will only get better.

Im doing Monk this life (6 Ranger/12 Monk/2 Fighter), Fighter next life (6 Ranger/6Monk/8 Fighter), so that is 2 lives in a row with the same sort of build. Im also trying to work out how to do a similar life for Barbarian, but I cant see that working. I may need to stick with a Bowbarian build there.
    The base dmg on a shuriken is 1d2...I would assume if you are seeing those kind of numbers something is bugged.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    The base dmg on a shuriken is 1d2...I would assume if you are seeing those kind of numbers something is bugged.
    Look up Snowstar: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Snowstar

Throw in Seeker +8, 34 Str, and probably a few other things which boost damage (Ninja Spy Sneak Attack, Tharnes, Point Blank, etc.) and it all adds up very quickly.

Include Human Damage Bonus and it gets even bigger.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgleno View Post

Gear:
    L2: Shadow Star
    L8: Snowstar
    L11: Con Opp Goggles (+5 cha skills, immunities)
    L11: MinII Helm (+45 hp, +6 con skills)
    L11: SmokeII Bracers (+45 hp, +6 dex skills)
    L11: Torc
    L12: MinII Shuriken
    L12: Pos+Pos Greensteel Shuriken (eventual triple Pos)
    L14: Infused Chaosrobe w/ +10 reflex
    L14: Litany (upgraded)
    *L16: Crystal Alchemical Shuriken - T1 Martial Fire
    *L16: Byeshk Alchemical Kama - T1 Martial Air
    L16: Skiver w/ Glaciation
    L14: Jeweled Cloak w/ Master's Gift & Deathblock
    L18: Cold Iron Alchemical Falchion - T2 Martial Earth / Martial Earth
    L20: Epic Rock Boots w/ +30% striding & +6 (7) stat augment
    L20: Sun Soul Belt, Bracers, and Outfit
    L20: Epic Cutthroats Smallblade w/ ruby augment
    *L20: Seeker +8 Kama/Shortsword of Major Ice Lore w/ glaciation augment
    *In progress
    --

Thanks for Looking!
    looks like a fun build, and its impressive how much time you put into it. i am still new to all this, and i can't add much to the build, but i can say that i really appreciate including the gear with the build. i realized quickly how much gear can affect a build, and sometimes i have no idea what i am missing until its to late. wish other people included that. its good to know what to look for while leveling, and not just when capped.

Community Member

I only have 1 pl ranger and have snowstar. I see no where near that damage even with triple positive shuriken. Although admittedly I have not tried in a while since my monk is currently finishing up his PLs before the new TR revamp.

12 str, 4 ship, 4 weapon,2 ram's, 1.5[2d4] with point blank, 6 seeker ( where do you get 8 seeker ? ). 40, 80 crits.
    2 from Claw or Sora kell with 9 from past lives would make it ~ 50 ?
    Maybe I missed something but 300 ?

In any case, impossible it's doing more damage than Lit2 bow.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    12 str, 4 ship, 4 weapon,2 ram's, 1.5[2d4] with point blank, 6 seeker ( where do you get 8 seeker ? ). 40, 80 crits.

300 is the doubleshot combination of 2 crits of 150 each. Usually the crits are in the 100 to 120 range.

Seeker +8 of Deception is the Kama I crafted (I could hunt around for a Seeker +10 random weapon but I want to stay Centered so Im not going to find many Kama). Combined with Ring of Lies (with Imp. Deception) the mobs spend a lot of time not even attacking me. You also need to include Sneak Attack from Ninja Spy and Tharnes Goggles. And Im sure there are other things.

I will take note of my Combat Log next time I am playing and get a big crit and then report what the numbers say (or even screenshot if I can work out how). And also look at all the buffs I am using.

Each arrow may do more damage, but I am throwing FAR more shuriken than shooting arrows - outside of Manyshot. And with a 25% Crit chance I am going to get some big numbers quite often.

I've finished my heroic levels, and added a +5 major ice lore shortsword w/ red augment (adding a spell power gem also makes the weapon a spell casting implement for +15 USP), which I have slotted w/ a +90 Glaciation gem.

Reporting back, I get approximately 70 stars thrown in 30 seconds during 10k stars, which means that averaging 100 damage per star (conservative guess, though does include sometimes pinning or dancing the mobs w/ the sharidi pin and whistler throwing moves), I can hit around 250 dps against 1 target. This isn't special, obv, but when there are groups, I can do the same to the whole line via IPS. This doesn't factor in the double rainbow procs, and is still w/ my min2 shuriken. I expect it to jump up noticibly when I finish off my alchemical to tier 3. Also, this doesn't factor in the dots I use from ice/acid.
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Ought Machinist

All told, and once I'm finished gearing (alchemicals mainly, but also some FoT items), I expect to hit around 400 dps on a single target (more when stunned via pin or whistler), and in multi-mob situations, getting about half that on the other targets.

Not bad, and modestly better than I'd hoped, for a flavor build.

If you at all appreciate the build posting, pleas don't forget to give me feedback.
    Last edited by Sirgleno; 07-30-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Fixed some punctuation - probably not perfect, but this is to share ideas, not nitpick grammar/punctuation.
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Ought Machinist

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post

Agreed that a bow is generally better than a shuriken (hell, build here would probably work better with a reconfiguration to use zen archery + manyshot + Pinion), though this is fundamentally a throwing star build, so while there are other power builds that excell w/ bows, that is counter to this builds fundamentals.
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Ought Machinist

Quote Originally Posted by TAnyaJAn View Post
    looks like a fun build, and its impressive how much time you put into it. i am still new to all this, and i can't add much to the build, but i can say that i really appreciate including the gear with the build. i realized quickly how much gear can affect a build, and sometimes i have no idea what i am missing until its to late. wish other people included that. its good to know what to look for while leveling, and not just when capped.
    Thanks for chiming in, glad you appreciate how I layout the builds. I find this kind o layout far easier to dives than the typical chargen export (especially on mobile devices, where I do nearly all my foruming).
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Ought Machinist