Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,514

    Default Dodgy McBlurrypants

    OK, so I have begun life number 12 of the 13 I need for completionist (yay me!) and that is as a ranger. I know ZILCHMEISTER about rangers, and I freely admit that, and as proof I took TWF as my first feat then had to go talk to Lockania when I hit level 3 and the given feat was... TWF. D'oh!

    Anyway, I wanted to see how to boost Dodge percentage. In order to get Tempest, I had to take Dodge and Mobility (and learned Spring attack was a feat), and I want to keep that going. I did a mental checklist of all things dodge-blurry, and came up with:

    1. Dodge
    2. Mobility
    3. dusk
    4. blurry
    5. ethereal
    6. Picture of Wilford Brimley
    7. ghostly
    8. Ham
    9. Twilight

    How many of these things stack? Dodge and mobility had BETTER stack since I need both to get tempest; otherwise that's stupid and I can't believe Turbine would do something that silly. If I have Dodge, Mobility, dusk from the DUSK docent that is actually twilight, and then ethereal bracers on does THAT make me more dodgy or do a lot of those not stack? I heard dodge % goes off of dex, and as a ranger I plan on having some pretty sassy dexterity anyway, but there's a lot of confusion... if anyone can shed some light on some cheap ways to either improve my dodge chance or make myself as blurry as a fart on a windy afternoon, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks!
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default

    It is, as with many things when it comes to what stacks and what doesn't, as clear as mud!

    DDOWIKI is probably the best place for info... http://ddowiki.com/page/Dodge_bonus (but do note the comment right at the bottom about a stacking bug - which points to this thread: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...obility-broken)

  3. #3
    Community Member Ryiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Dodge and mobility had BETTER stack since I need both to get tempest; otherwise that's stupid and I can't believe Turbine would do something that silly.
    Turbine simply directly copied the requirements for Tempest from D&D 3.5. Though if things haven't changed those feat requirements should be disappearing with the enhancement pass.

    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tempest...restige_Class)
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Turbine simply directly copied the requirements for Tempest from D&D 3.5. Though if things haven't changed those feat requirements should be disappearing with the enhancement pass.

    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tempest...restige_Class)
    The way Dodge is stacking is going to change, too.

    Basically, post-EP, I think you'll have five sources of damage avoidance:

    -Dodge from feats, which always stacks with everything including other feats
    -Dodge from skills (racial, class, etc.), which stacks but is very temporary
    -"Concealment" effects, from items or spells like Displacement, highest value only applies
    -"Incorporeal" effects, from items (or Palemaster's Wraith Form), highest value only applies
    -Dodge from items, highest value only applies, and item Dodge values were supposed to be doubled in the EP.

    So basically, if you want a Dodge-centric character, grab all the Dodge feats you can (classes like Rogue, Barb and I think Monk get Dodge feat bonuses, as does Halfling in the EP if they don't change it). Then get one item with high Incorporeal, high Blurry, and high Dodge. You'll also want high Dex and light/no armor since that caps your Dodge bonus, but Incorp and Concealment always apply on top of Dodge.

  5. #5
    Community Member CheeseMilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Dodge:

    3% - Dodge feat
    2% - Moblity feat
    2% - Spring attack feat

    These all stack, but some people report being 1% short when adding it up, but no one seems to know why.

    Dodge items stack, but only with non-like amounts. Cannith crafted dodge items are broken, but I don't remember the specifics. I read that dodge items will no longer stack with U19, but will have their numerical values doubled.

    Hard cap for dodge is 25%, but that cap is itself capped by the Max Dex bonus of whatever armour you're wearing. Dexterity itself has nothing to do with dodge.

    Monks get a 2% dodge bonus at level 1, and that goes up to 4% at level 2, and 6% at level four. Ocean stance gives an addition bonus to dodge.

    There are several +dodge abilities in various ED trees, as well.

    Barbarian and Rogue get Uncanny Dodge, which is a 25% clicky that stacks and overwrites the dodge cap for a short period of time, and increases to 50% with Improved uncanny dodge.

    Concealment:

    Dusk 10%
    Blurry 20%
    Lesser Displacement 25% (only found on EE Ring of Shadows, as far as I know)
    Displacement 50%
    Attacked by a Blind enemy 50%
    Cloud-type spells 20% (Cloudkill, for example)

    None of these stack, just the highest value applies; however, True Seeing negates Duck, Blurry and Displacement, but not Blind or Cloud concealment.

    Incorporeal:

    Ghostly 10% (Item enchantment, on Epic Cloak of Night, for example)
    Ninja Spy Shadow Fade 25% (Dark path monk prestige class feature)
    Wraith Form 25% (Pale Master Shroud)
    Shadow Form 25% (Shadowdancer ED ability)

    Only the highest value applies. Only Ghost Touch weapons or equivalent bypasses.

    So if you're looking for the duckinest, dodgiest ranger possible, I'd go with a Tempest/Ninja Spy. Find a perma-blur item and as many dodge items as you can.
    Last edited by CheeseMilk; 07-23-2013 at 12:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Community Member Ryiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Dodge items stack, but only with non-like amounts. Cannith crafted dodge items are broken, but I don't remember the specifics. I read that dodge items will no longer stack with U19, but will have their numerical values doubled.
    Correct. At least that is how it is currently appearing to work.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

  7. #7
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,514

    Default Sad face :'(

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Dodge:

    3% - Dodge feat
    2% - Moblity feat
    2% - Spring attack feat

    These all stack, but some people report being 1% short when adding it up, but no one seems to know why.

    Dodge items stack, but only with non-like amounts. Cannith crafted dodge items are broken, but I don't remember the specifics. I read that dodge items will no longer stack with U19, but will have their numerical values doubled.

    Hard cap for dodge is 25%, but that cap is itself capped by the Max Dex bonus of whatever armour you're wearing. Dexterity itself has nothing to do with dodge.

    Monks get a 2% dodge bonus at level 1, and that goes up to 4% at level 2, and 6% at level four. Ocean stance gives an addition bonus to dodge.

    There are several +dodge abilities in various ED trees, as well.

    Barbarian and Rogue get Uncanny Dodge, which is a 25% clicky that stacks and overwrites the dodge cap for a short period of time, and increases to 50% with Improved uncanny dodge.

    Concealment:

    Dusk 10%
    Blurry 20%
    Lesser Displacement 25% (only found on EE Ring of Shadows, as far as I know)
    Displacement 50%
    Attacked by a Blind enemy 50%
    Cloud-type spells 20% (Cloudkill, for example)

    None of these stack, just the highest value applies; however, True Seeing negates Duck, Blurry and Displacement, but not Blind or Cloud concealment.

    Incorporeal:

    Ghostly 10% (Item enchantment, on Epic Cloak of Night, for example)
    Ninja Spy Shadow Fade 25% (Dark path monk prestige class feature)
    Wraith Form 25% (Pale Master Shroud)
    Shadow Form 25% (Shadowdancer ED ability)

    Only the highest value applies. Only Ghost Touch weapons or equivalent bypasses.

    So if you're looking for the duckinest, dodgiest ranger possible, I'd go with a Tempest/Ninja Spy. Find a perma-blur item and as many dodge items as you can.
    Thanks so much for the info... the one hampering issue is this character is going pure classes all the way to completionist. I have gone through 11 lives pure (ugh, bard (Vomit, Paladin)) and want to finish out that way, so to further hamstring myself, I want to get the highest dodge I can as a pure ranger.

    The stacking dodge as long as the percentage makes sense, and I think I can do that. Does that mean I can do something like:

    Dodge: 3%
    Mobility: 2%
    Cannith bracers: 2%
    Spring Attack: 2%
    Armor: 1%

    And come out with 7% right there? Again thanks so much for your responses.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  8. #8
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Concealment:

    Dusk 10%
    Blurry 20%
    Lesser Displacement 25% (only found on EE Ring of Shadows, as far as I know)
    Displacement 50%
    Attacked by a Blind enemy 50%
    Cloud-type spells 20% (Cloudkill, for example)

    None of these stack, just the highest value applies; however, True Seeing negates Duck, Blurry and Displacement, but not Blind or Cloud concealment.
    And...not that this character would necessarily use it but for completeness:

    Shadow Walk (spell) 50%

  9. #9
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    So if you're looking for the duckinest, dodgiest ranger possible, I'd go with a Tempest/Ninja Spy. Find a perma-blur item and as many dodge items as you can.
    Add: Elf Displacement dragon mark 3 minutes of displacement

    Or the clunky shorter version a Green steel clickie with 2 uses of a minute and a half of displacement that requires swap/click/swap back

    Or the pro mode clunky version: GS quarter staff for 2 uses of 2 minute Displacement swap/click/swapback.

    Personally once the dragon marks become 1 feat and an enhancement line, both my Elf characters will have the marks (one is a Shadow elf build and already has them)... they play smoother 1 click and much better duration and way more uses so it's easier to keep up without losing DPS or being distracted (One Elf is a FvS so being distracted is a bad thing for the raid I'm in, the other is a Ninja Spy monk +fighter so has feats to burn).

    I recomend Ninja Spy shadow fade 25% + 25% dodge plus Displacement 50% and whatever AC you can add without sacrifice (probably 20-30% miss chance for most of your leveling) throw in improved evasion 500hps and you're just short of invincible, after the pass a 9 monk 1 fighter 10ranger (so you get credit for a ranger past life) 9 monk for improved evasion + dodge bonuses, fighter for feat. Access to 6 PrE trees.

    I would put two Razerend's or one and a /Long sword whirling steel on this combo and have fun until TR into completionist life.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 07-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    The stacking dodge as long as the percentage makes sense, and I think I can do that. Does that mean I can do something like:

    Dodge: 3%
    Mobility: 2%
    Cannith bracers: 2%
    Spring Attack: 2%
    Armor: 1%

    And come out with 7% right there? Again thanks so much for your responses.
    Actually that'd give you 10% (3+2+2+2+1). But keep in mind that dodge will NOT stack after the EP (which is next update, I think). Only the highest Dodge applies, and it was appearing up to +8% I think on Lammania, on lootgen as well as named items.

    Also keep in mind that Mobility is available via Cannith crafting as well, so if you have a spot to slot a Feat: Mobility shard, you get the same 2% stacking dodge bonus the Feat gives you, without having to actually spend a Feat on it. I mention this because Mobility will no longer be a prereq for Tempest, after the EP. But then you cant take Spring Attack, so up to you...two feat slots for 4% dodge or one crafted slot for 2%.

    And dont worry about AC....the effectiveness % it lists in your Character Sheet is for fighting monsters at level...but at endgame, you're routinely fighting monsters like 10CR above you, and your actual effective AC is probably going to fall back to the minimum 5%.
    Last edited by droid327; 07-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload