Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dwarf Barb Weapons

I am working my way through the levels with my dwarf barbarian. I would like to get some ideas for weapons. I am going for axes and want to focus on the great axe. (unless someone has a better suggestion for higher damage output)

I was thinking of building some kind of greensteel item but that takes a long time so that will be a work in progress. Are there any named items out there or some other axes that are good to have. I just can't seem to find anything good at the 16 to 20 level range.

Community Member

By far your best bet / easily obtainable is the Elemental Greataxe of Fire: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elemental_Greataxe_of_Fire
    Andrialla / Archellus / Corylone / Rorifeela / Rugare / Slappi / Sylvarian
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by shibe View Post
    I am working my way through the levels with my dwarf barbarian. I would like to get some ideas for weapons. I am going for axes and want to focus on the great axe. (unless someone has a better suggestion for higher damage output)

I was thinking of building some kind of greensteel item but that takes a long time so that will be a work in progress. Are there any named items out there or some other axes that are good to have. I just can't seem to find anything good at the 16 to 20 level range.
    epic antique axe
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Antique_Greataxe
    why its amazing is that its metalline with a red slot and has crazy base damage 2(1d20) so its situationally better then the shroud GS and sometimes equal.

seal drops in epic snith endchest
    and then you need to run epic big top
    to get base item you need to get endreward for the quest chain on normal which sometimes has the item its hard in my experince to find from the chest.
    pretty decent drop rate for a epic item its considerable easier to get then the shroud minII

edit:
    since you need be 20 to be able to enter the quests this may not have been what your looking for after considertion still its definitly the easiest "good" allaround 20+ weapon to get
    Last edited by Uidolon; 07-23-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

EGF and eAG will cover most of your needs just fine; since both are Metalline, use the red slot for Good and you've got most DR covered, too. Drow greataxe is also appealing, for the double crit range and tactics boost. Some sort of skelly beater is nice to have too; triple-pos GS maul is best, but eMournlode or eFury of the Flame is a lot easier to farm up.

EDIT: also Cleaver if you go raiding.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 07-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelphistez View Post
    By far your best bet / easily obtainable is the Elemental Greataxe of Fire: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elemental_Greataxe_of_Fire
    That looks really good. Easy to obtain? I am already at level 16 so maybe I can work on that tonight. Maybe solo some of the quests to get the materials?

Thanks for your input! If you have any other Barb advice for armor I would be grateful Thanks!

Presuming pure barb, you're limited to lt or med armor. For mid-high teen lvls, some options: Fleshshapers, Giantcraft Breastplate, LotF, Cavalry Plate (next time CC is open).

There are a lot of nice G-Axes named with epic options, and for a dwarf it is a good choice.

I would only go with a GS Axe if you can have it at level 12. I only say this because of the newer gear that is easier to obtain.

However, don't forget the synergy of the Dwarven Axe & Shield with THF feats. It can come in handy when you need a bit more protection but still need to dish out some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    There are a lot of nice G-Axes named with epic options, and for a dwarf it is a good choice.

I would only go with a GS Axe if you can have it at level 12. I only say this because of the newer gear that is easier to obtain.

However, don't forget the synergy of the Dwarven Axe & Shield with THF feats. It can come in handy when you need a bit more protection but still need to dish out some damage.
    Whats the synergy? I may have missed something here...

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Presuming pure barb, you're limited to lt or med armor. For mid-high teen lvls, some options: Fleshshapers, Giantcraft Breastplate, LotF, Cavalry Plate (next time CC is open).
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think it best to go with medium armor rather then light armor? I thought there were some penalties to using medium armor or better.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Whats the synergy? I may have missed something here...
    When using a single dwarven axe (or axe & shield, or even axe & runearm) you get glancing blows, same as you do with 2handers (bastard swords also benefit from this) & the 2handed fighting feats will boost this. I have a dwarf axe & board user, and with the doublestrike bonus from the shield mastery feats plus the shield bashes (i took improved shield bash & am using a bastion which adds extra chance) it gives a nice extra defensive boost while not losing all that much dps - the main difference is that power attack & strength bonuses only give the standard 1hander bonus instead of the extra boost you get with a proper 2hander.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 07-24-2013 at 04:25 AM.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Do you think it best to go with medium armor rather then light armor? I thought there were some penalties to using medium armor or better.
    Med armor provides more PRR and AC (tho AC is largely irrelevant to a barb); lt armor has a higher MDB (which also caps your Dodge bonus) and works w/Evasion (pure barbs don't get it, but if you splashed rog 2 or went Shadowdancer, you'd have Evasion). Most named armors are only available in one format, so it's important to decide which you're going for when planning your gear.

Med armor provides more PRR and AC (tho AC is largely irrelevant to a barb); lt armor has a higher MDB (which also caps your Dodge bonus) and works w/Evasion (pure barbs don't get it, but if you splashed rog 2 or went Shadowdancer, you'd have Evasion). Most named armors are only available in one format, so it's important to decide which you're going for when planning your gear.
    So you do not think the Armor Check Penalty is an issue and the benefits outweigh the penalty?

By the way I thank you for the help...

The only skill affected by ACP I would care about is Balance; and that's not enough of a reason to choose lt over med armor. Hide & MS only matter to stealth builds; Swim is irrelevant once you have an Underwater Action item; Tumble is irrelevant once you have a Feather Falling item (unless you like backflips); Jump caps at 40, is easily buffed w/Jump spell or item, and is a STR-based skill, which a Raging barb clearly has plenty of.

Instead, choose your named armor based on how it complements the rest of your build & gear. E.g., Cavalry Plate has a nice combo of survivability bonuses (Gtr False Life, Resistance, Demonic Shield), but MDB 3 limits your Dodge bonus (lvl 20 pure barb gets 6% Dodge from Imp Uncanny Dodge); Marilith Chain is good because AFAIK it's the only heroic armor w/Seeker +6 bonus.

Hi,

So I posted about the Epic Axe I made. I was having trouble getting the Antique great axe or some of the other suggestions so I was running some Chrono and the seal and shard dropped for the Epic Hellstroke Greataxe. It is not so bad considering the other trash loot options I had at my disposal. I want to add the red augment properly and not sure what to go with. It already has cold iron and figured maybe silver or good would help? ANy ideas?

I also manage to get some fully upgraded Epic Calvary Plate I am also considering my options for the blue slot.

Thanks and happy questing.

Any thoughts?

Well, I suspect the first suggestion will be to get a better axe than eHellstroke. You should still aim for Antique and/or Cannith greataxe of fire. Until then, though, I would probably slot Hellstroke with Good for DR-breaking.

As for Cavalry Plate, I would use the blue slot to fill in any gaps you're not getting from your other gear; i.e., Heavy Fortification, Resistance, PRR, etc. You could also slot it for +2 MDB, which is useful for +2% Dodge; maybe take a couple of dwarven Armor Masteries to get it higher. Pure barb can hit 9% Dodge w/out gear: 6% Imp Uncanny Dodge + 3% Uncanny Dodger (Occult Slayer).

Well, I suspect the first suggestion will be to get a better axe than eHellstroke. You should still aim for Antique and/or Cannith greataxe of fire. Until then, though, I would probably slot Hellstroke with Good for DR-breaking.

As for Cavalry Plate, I would use the blue slot to fill in any gaps you're not getting from your other gear; i.e., Heavy Fortification, Resistance, PRR, etc. You could also slot it for +2 MDB, which is useful for +2% Dodge; maybe take a couple of dwarven Armor Masteries to get it higher. Pure barb can hit 9% Dodge w/out gear: 6% Imp Uncanny Dodge + 3% Uncanny Dodger (Occult Slayer).
    I'm working on that. I just happened upon the shard and seal and had nothing else. My first life with this toon. Thanks for the ideas....

Their are 2 be all weapons that you want for end game. One your gonna need to sell your chars soul to get....and probably a few other people around you. Thats the ESOS.

The other one that looks good and matches up BUT really takes off as you start to add extra dice is the EAGA. This to can be a royal pain in the ass to get the shard for. However it is very much worth it by one having a great base dmg, and 2 breaking dr. (Hell it even has a red slot. I mean booya!)

Ok after those 2 then theirs the citw axe. (Again ud prolly have better luck with the aga shard then that damn raid.) And the easiest and good dmg mainly through % chance bursts is the elemental great axe lv 20 tier 3.

I took the EEGA and then farmed for the EAGA. Took me a great many many many MANY runs, to fnd my shard (few lil *** got theirs in the process) (Yes im not a lil whiny tool that demands the shard in my farm runs lol) after that I farmed the drow axe, and some others but mainly the EAGA is my main weapon. (Mainly cause I havn't found that damn sos shard yet. Cmon turbine, sell em in the bloody store already. You sold your soul now sell me my sword!)
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Their are 2 be all weapons that you want for end game. One your gonna need to sell your chars soul to get....and probably a few other people around you. Thats the ESOS.

The other one that looks good and matches up BUT really takes off as you start to add extra dice is the EAGA. This to can be a royal pain in the ass to get the shard for. However it is very much worth it by one having a great base dmg, and 2 breaking dr. (Hell it even has a red slot. I mean booya!)

Ok after those 2 then theirs the citw axe. (Again ud prolly have better luck with the aga shard then that damn raid.) And the easiest and good dmg mainly through % chance bursts is the elemental great axe lv 20 tier 3.

I took the EEGA and then farmed for the EAGA. Took me a great many many many MANY runs, to fnd my shard (few lil *** got theirs in the process) (Yes im not a lil whiny tool that demands the shard in my farm runs lol) after that I farmed the drow axe, and some others but mainly the EAGA is my main weapon. (Mainly cause I havn't found that damn sos shard yet. Cmon turbine, sell em in the bloody store already. You sold your soul now sell me my sword!)
    I am sorry but I am not sure what the EEGA is. I will have to see if I can get some guilds to run the cannith challenges with me to farm for the axe from there.

I am sorry but I am not sure what the EEGA is. I will have to see if I can get some guilds to run the cannith challenges with me to farm for the axe from there.
    Epic Elemental Great Axe from the cannith challanges.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast