Question Possibly returning player

So I quit DDO back in December in order to start playing WoW again with people I actually know in real life. Lately however people have quit the game and left me wondering if there's really any enjoyment left for me. So with that I've come here to question, why not DDO?

I'm wondering if the game is worth my money at the moment. I do miss the feeling of playing, but I've had concerns in the past.

1: Are bug fixes actually happening now? Do we suffer from strange crashes once a week like it was when I played last?
    2: What exactly does ViP still give? When I last played, I paid 15$ a month just to constantly see content released that I had no access to, and I'm wondering if VIP is worth the money.
    3: When I played I mostly enjoyed just leveling constantly, the TR grind is a godsend to a player like me. Has this changed much in seven months?
    4: If I were to play again I'd be willing to put up to 100$ back into the game so I'm curious what would be currently the best things to spend points on.
    5: Please tell me people still run Shroud. That raid is one of my absolute favourite experiences in this entire game.

Thank you to anyone who replies; I'm genuinely curious and I've missed this game's feeling. But at the same time I don't want to throw my money away.
    Server: Khyber
    Completionist!
    Pyrerose, the Mother of Life
    Life #26: Honey I Shrunk the Warlock - Pure 20 Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoscheerio View Post
    So I quit DDO back in December in order to start playing WoW again with people I actually know in real life. Lately however people have quit the game and left me wondering if there's really any enjoyment left for me. So with that I've come here to question, why not DDO?

I'm wondering if the game is worth my money at the moment. I do miss the feeling of playing, but I've had concerns in the past.

1: Are bug fixes actually happening now? Do we suffer from strange crashes once a week like it was when I played last?
    2: What exactly does ViP still give? When I last played, I paid 15$ a month just to constantly see content released that I had no access to, and I'm wondering if VIP is worth the money.
    3: When I played I mostly enjoyed just leveling constantly, the TR grind is a godsend to a player like me. Has this changed much in seven months?
    4: If I were to play again I'd be willing to put up to 100$ back into the game so I'm curious what would be currently the best things to spend points on.
    5: Please tell me people still run Shroud. That raid is one of my absolute favourite experiences in this entire game.

Thank you to anyone who replies; I'm genuinely curious and I've missed this game's feeling. But at the same time I don't want to throw my money away.
    1. Crashes less and some bugs are still here some are fixed and the fixed ones were replaced by new and exciting ones
    2. ViP gives that, +10%xp, there's another expansion soon and one of the u18 quests is only available to people who preorder. u18 though well, I preordered and haven't bothered running it as it's lvl 15 quests in estar with poor xp and no good twink gear.
    3. Tr is probably going to change in u20
    5. Still ran but no where near as much on Thelanis.

Not especially. If you mean client crashes, there are still the common problem areas. (Porting to the desert, grouping in big top, etc...) If you mean full computer crashes requiring a hard reboot, the entire 2.5 years I've been playing I get such crashes roughly once a month, and that rate hasn't changed.

Constantly may be an overstatement. That happened once, and is now happening a second time.

Not really. Epic destinies make it viable to settle for a single life, but TRing is still fun and a fine way to play the game.

Certainly. Shroud is still run quite a bit, but it is no longer the be-all-end-all endgame raid that everyone keeps multiple characters on timer for. It's still easy to run a fair amount, just less so than it used to be.

My gut reaction is to recommend just dropping $99 on a year-long VIP subscription, and then worrying about the expansions later when you get to 20 and decide you want to hang around epics for a while. VIP gets you elite open and all leveling content, which is a one-two punch of win for someone who mainly likes to TR. (You also get +10% xp which is also quite nice for TRs.)

If you don't want to go VIP, but would rather buy content as a premium, I could come up with some viable ideas for the best way to spend $100 to get up and running immediately. I'm happy to help out with this but to me it sounds like the year-long VIP might fit you better.

Community Member

Not sure if they fixed crashes or not, but I know when I got a new computer 8 months ago my crashes stopped pretty much entirely so old hardware may be partly to blame (the girlfriend who used to crash more than I did got a new computer at the same time as me and also has almost no crashes now as well, except for the login crash that happens the first time logging in each day).

TRing is still great and shroud is still run though a little less than when the cap was 20.

As for where and how to spend money I guess it would depend on what quest packs you own. It sounds like you were a little unimpressed with being a VIP (and who can blame you) and other than a 10% exp bonus, VIP is not any better than you remember and they are about to release a new expansion that VIP's have to pay for as well so I would seriously consider spending that $100 buying quest packs whenever they are on sale. $100 is pretty much all you need to buy the whole game (not counting the new expansion and possibly not counting the old expansion as I made the mistake of preordering the old one and so have no idea what it costs in TP). Once you shell out for all the quest packs you get to play for free from that point onward only needing to pay for new content that is released (and that can be paid for using free TP as long as you TR often enough). I regularly earn between 800 and 850 TP each life so TRing gives me all the TP I need to keep playing for free forever.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Just come back as a premium, talk to some people in game, get the "lay of the land" so to speak. We have an entirely new enhancement system getting implemented in about a month, complete with a lesser reincarnation +20 for adapting all your existing characters to the new system.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default The TR Grind

Currently TRs run the same quests over and over.

Guess what!! Turbine is going to penalize you for that. So, you like that quest do you!!!!!!!!???!?!? Well, we want you to run Faithful Departed!! Bonus XP for running Faithful Departed!!! Turbine is talking about giving bonus XP for certain quests and dropping massive penalties on re-running a quest.

Currently, it seems that the new DDO regime might actually attack bugs better. Time has been too short to compare. If the next release comes out buggy, then we have the answer.

The new enhancement stuff. To early to tell.

VIP? I dropped it. I don't regret it yet. Turbine looks like the game plan is to release more paid content.

Shroud is not the high level loot thing anymore. The random loot that is currently on the new stuff is pretty darn good compared to the Shroud loot. What was once the greatest stuff is replaced by better stuff in the new releases. All part of the Monty Haul campaign problem.

The game servers do not crash every week anymore. There was a time when Ghallanda went down every three days. Looks like the hardware was replaced that caused it. Hardware still breaks on turbine's end. The MTBF is not Turbine's fault, something mechanical will eventually break. Just as a car breaks down now, or a bicycle gets a flat. If you use it, it will be break.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Currently TRs run the same quests over and over.
    I mainly TR and I do not run the same quests over and over. I run each quest once on elite and move on, running virtually all content each life. This is how I've always TRed.

Community Member

Just come play, and see how you like it. Worry about spending money after you decide whether to stick around.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

It's definitely worth another try. TRs and Shroud are still common. There will always be bugs in every game, but there aren't really any show-stopper bugs that will keep you from enjoying the game.

You can buy the full year VIP for $99 instead of paying $15/month. In addition to the old benefits you get 10% xtra xp and a free gold daily dice roll once per week. There may be more, but that is what comes to mind.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Note: in a month or two the game mechanics are going to be changed pretty thoroughly.

Take that as you will.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Welcome back

S1: Are bug fixes actually happening now? Do we suffer from strange crashes once a week like it was when I played last?
    1. Bug fixes have always occurred and are still occurring. Massive software on this scale is very difficult to keep 'bug free."
    2. I went Premium about 2 years ago and I still do not see the value in ViP for me, but I understand those who choose that option for themselves.
    3. You can still TR to your heart's content and there is some xp relief coming in the 18-20 range.
    4. Rez stones for your play style. If you like pets and cosmetics, plenty of choices for you.
    5. Shroud is still run; greenstell still has a place whther for specialized weaponry on a TR run or HP and SP items.

Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    Note: in a month or two the game mechanics are going to be changed pretty thoroughly.

Take that as you will.
    The "mechanics" aren't changing from what I can tell. The upcoming enhancement pass will require players to re-evaluate their character builds based on the reworked enhancement packages. Everyone is getting a free LR +20 stone to do so for each character.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

Havent seen a game crash as the one you describe in about a year. Well, maybe less, but its a long time. OTOH, Sands and much rarely other instances may still cause crash.
    Bugg fixes... well, something was fixed, something new was broken. So, the usual. Right now, there is nothing really gamebreaking in the game.

VIP can be cheaper (99 per year), and since you last played, it gives free daily gold roll and 10% movement speed boost in public areas and 10% exp bonus in quests. Unless you are talking about pets, I really dont recall any constant stream of content that wasnt free to VIPs - only non-free stuff so far was Artificer class (which was a rip off from Turbine) and MoTU, which was an expansion. Now, we are getting another expansion. Aside from that, except pets, all is still free for VIPs.

TR havent changed a bit, will change a little next month from now. But, generally speaking, it will be still the same, just a little easier. Epic TR is a new thingy that we will be getting and that is a whole different news.

Either VIP for a year, or buy packs/classes/races that you like and MoTU.

Yes. Not as much as a year ago, but yes, Shroud is far from dead. We also have brand new epic raid, epic revamp of Gianthold and clousure of the first and possibly greatest storyline told in Ebberon setting of DDO: Fight to death with the Truthfull One.

Also, we have an enchantement pass coming in next month.

generally, IMHO, DDO is worth playing more than any other MMO I ever tried. Ofc, Real life is much more rewarding, but as long as you want to play some MMO, I recommend DDO

The game servers do not crash every week anymore.
    Oh, right, if this is what the OP was asking in point 1, the servers seem much more stable than they were last year.

The game servers do not crash every week anymore.
    Oh, right, if this is what the OP was asking in point 1, the servers seem much more stable than they were last year.

Well I have come from playing WoW to playing DDO as well. I played WOW from just before release of TBC and not stopped untill about 2 months ago I have found the game becoming more and more boring. the new MOP is ok but the raids are nearly as poor as cata was. also the dungeons in wow have gotten more and more zerg this zerg that, with no real goal to them.

Now to DDO what makes me play DDO now is the fact that you can repeat quests and dunegons as often as you like and the puzzles in some of there are really good which breaks up the pace and you can explore a lot more, the dungeon narrating is fun as well as you never got anything like that in wow. I find a lot more things to do in DDO than in WOW.

On the side of game crashing never had that problem tbh. Server down time never noticed it. apart from the normal times when they are fixing thing and adding updates.
    Last edited by Trílesch; 07-22-2013 at 03:40 AM.

I'm wondering if the game is worth my money at the moment.
    If you had previously been Premium and purchased content you could be playing for free. That is the route I would take. Don't go VIP but rather buy the content you are interested in running. Then don't spend anything more until the next game comes out you are interested in.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Well generally I've found VIP just easier, especially with a third lifer. But now, with all the packs I own, I'm thinking it might be beneficial to just buy a bunch of points and go with that. I just actually got into the game again and for once the epic destinies look REALLY interesting to me. So I may want to just buy those and the packs with them, then whatever my third lifer needs to hit 20 again and really try out those destinies.

At the same time I think I really want to access my cleric/monk again as I think that's what's going to really lock in whether or not I'll want to play again. Odd enough it seems what really draws me to this game isn't so much the gameplay as it is the math behind it all... planning a character seems as fun as actually playing it >.<
    Completionist!

Odd enough it seems what really draws me to this game isn't so much the gameplay as it is the math behind it all... planning a character seems as fun as actually playing it >.<
    I'm right with you on that count.

What packs do you own already? In terms of destinies, the best way to get them is by getting any of the MotU packages. The following four packs come with the standard edition:

Phiarlan Carnival
    Attack on Stormreach
    Path of Inspiration
    Dreaming Dark

If you don't already own the above four packs, then the MotU standard package ($35) is a no-brainer. If you already have all 4 of them then the basic package ($20) is probably a better deal.

That's actually one of the things I'm trying to remember, just exactly WHAT I already own. I know when I just returned I found I had 1.1k points so I bought the Monk class.

So in total I think I own
    Classes: Artificer, Favoured Soul, Monk
    Account stuff: One character slot
    Adventure packs: Sharn Syndicate, Necropolis parts 1 and 2, Phiarlan Carnival, Attack on Stormreach, The Vale of Twilight, Reaver's Reach, Secrets of the Artificers, Devils of Shavarath, Dreaming Dark.

Yeah from the looks of things it might save me some money to just go VIP for a couple months, and still buy some points to get Epic Destinies and the forgotten realms stuff.
    Completionist!

Adventure packs: Sharn Syndicate, Necropolis parts 1 and 2, Phiarlan Carnival, Attack on Stormreach, The Vale of Twilight, Reaver's Reach, Secrets of the Artificers, Devils of Shavarath, Dreaming Dark.
    Okay, then this rules out the standard edition MotU. The base package for $20 is a better value than dropping 1k TP on destinies, though.

Given the above packs, here's what I'd want to have to bulk up your content regardless if you get it now or after a 60-day VIP or whatever: (Sorted by heroic level.)

850 Delera's Tomb
    750 Vault of Night
    450 Red Fens
    950 Demon Sands
    950 Gianthold
    850 Necropolis IV
    -----
    4800 for packs
    1495 shared bank
    -----
    6295 total

You originally mentioned $100 or so; a $60 points bundle is worth 6300 points even without a double bonus point sale. For $80 total you can immediately pick up everything listed above plus the $20 MotU base package, which includes destinies.

Alternately, you could get a 60-day VIP ($30 in DDO market) and hope for a double bonus point sale sometime in the next 60 days for a "free" 2550 extra points from a $60 points bundle (8850 vs 6300), combined with the 1000 TP you get from being a VIP (500 per month) and use that to buy the Shadowfell base version with points. This would end up at $110 total, a little over the target but pretty close: $30 VIP, $60 points bundle, $20 MotU/destinies

EDIT: Okay, I waffled a lot on the actual recommendation. Finally settled on the above list.