Thread: DDO marketing

Community Member

Default DDO marketing

So, biggest pop culture convention in the US passes and there was a D&D video game spotlighted! That would be a couple of 4-player D&D Capcom stand-up cabinet games at their booth, I didn't even realize existed (I may upload the photo of them later, I cant' remember if it's on my phone or camera). Way to get yourself in front of potential new fans, Turbine. Hey, maybe next year you can beg for a square foot allocated at Hasbro's temple to My Little Pony there (or just add some as companions).

But, Blizzard was there... instead of at E3 I might add.

So we'll see you in a couple of weeks at GenCon, Turbine marketers???

They didn't even do Pax East in their backyard this year.

My guess is for a game of DDO's age, the costs associated with going to these places, having a booth and paying people (in the case you used, flying them across country and paying for lodging meals etc.) isn't worth it. Essentially I believe they have found, they don't get new players going to these things.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Cost had a lot to do with it, I'm sure. Here is an article that breaks down the expense of a booth at E3: LINK.

The booth in question was about 100k, and that is considered on the cheap end. SDCC is more expensive because it has an increased demand for space, and a wider appeal.

Remember that Turbine didn't even have a showing at PAX East this past year, and that con is literally in their backyard. PAX is not as expensive to host a booth at as either E3 or SDCC.

WB is probably curtailing expenses on a game whose profitability is on the wane, and unwilling to shell out the massive wad of cash that it would have required. The cost would likely not be returned in terms of players or dollars spent on the game.

Personally, I'd like to see banner-ads again. Hype up the "DDO is F2P done right," angle, and try to get an influx of new blood. It's much more cost-effective then having a booth at a con, and it's worked in the past.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    They didn't even do Pax East in their backyard this year.

My guess is for a game of DDO's age, the costs associated with going to these places, having a booth and paying people (in the case you used, flying them across country and paying for lodging meals etc.) isn't worth it. Essentially I believe they have found, they don't get new players going to these things.
    I don't believe they've ever been to any SDCC, so they really couldn't have found anything with regards to its particular economics (every show is different in its makeup). The flipside of their decision to non-market is that if few are aware of your brand, it doesn't matter that you have one, and SDCC is a big branding visibility event. Most effective marketers would kill for a chance to get in front of 125k+ self-selected potential leads that are already into many niche products/brands way older than DDO. Con benefits can play out over time if the crowd stagnates, but there's tons of ways to mitigate costs around how to handle a booth.

WoW's been around even longer and this is the first year Blizzard ever got into SDCC and they didn't even have any new content to pimp from the looks of the booth.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldRemembers View Post
    Cost had a lot to do with it, I'm sure. Here is an article that breaks down the expense of a booth at E3: LINK.

The booth in question was about 100k, and that is considered on the cheap end. SDCC is more expensive because it has an increased demand for space, and a wider appeal.

Remember that Turbine didn't even have a showing at PAX East this past year, and that con is literally in their backyard. PAX is not as expensive to host a booth at as either E3 or SDCC.

WB is probably curtailing expenses on a game whose profitability is on the wane, and unwilling to shell out the massive wad of cash that it would have required. The cost would likely not be returned in terms of players or dollars spent on the game.

Personally, I'd like to see banner-ads again. Hype up the "DDO is F2P done right," angle, and try to get an influx of new blood. It's much more cost-effective then having a booth at a con, and it's worked in the past.
    Booth space isn't, and has never been, more expensive at SDCC than E3 (it doesn't even come close): http://www.comic-con.org/sites/defau...3exhib_pkg.pdf. All expenses beyond that are exhibitor choices. I've had business interests at cons for over a decade, and hundreds of friends who do this thing regularly for big and small companies. What they spend is all over the place, and how they monetize a marketing event (via stuff like figures/busts/etc), reduces the net cost measurably.

If you think you can market a complexity-oriented game via a banner ad, good luck to you. You want to sell something complex versus something simple and stupid, you need face time.

The shows are expensive, and to make an impact you have to spend a lot of dough and do a lot of schoozing.

The reality is that you're really only advertising to the world what NEW stuff you have that is a departure from your stable of content. DDO really doesn't have anything to thumb its chest over. And as people have said, you're not going to get a lot of new gamers per se'.

However, the downside to not being there is that the media outlets that cover gaming will be in attendance. So you are missing the exposure that you would get from them by either direct contact, or by attracting them to you exhibit. What DDO needs in the short term is more exposure to attract revenue.

So it may end up being penny-wise and pound foolish. Who knows?

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

With MotU last year and the Shadowfell expansion due out in 4 weeks, there's plenty of DDO news I would have said. With DDO and LOTRO in their stable (bearing in mind there is a Hobbit trilogy doing the rounds for a bit of Middle Earth interest), it would make sense to piggyback on the other D&D products being touted and to have a presence there.

Sometimes you need to be seen at a convention for the sake of being seen, rather than for any short-term benefit. For Turbine or WB to dismiss the convention circuit, sends a message that they're not in the same league as others when they have two excellent brands in their arsenal makes no sense to me. DDO wipes the floor with the competition IMO, they should be pushing themselves as the "grown up" D&D experience for the Neverwinter kids to graduate onto.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    With MotU last year and the Shadowfell expansion due out in 4 weeks, there's plenty of DDO news I would have said. With DDO and LOTRO in their stable (bearing in mind there is a Hobbit trilogy doing the rounds for a bit of Middle Earth interest), it would make sense to piggyback on the other D&D products being touted and to have a presence there.

Sometimes you need to be seen at a convention for the sake of being seen, rather than for any short-term benefit. For Turbine or WB to dismiss the convention circuit, sends a message that they're not in the same league as others when they have two excellent brands in their arsenal makes no sense to me. DDO wipes the floor with the competition IMO, they should be pushing themselves as the "grown up" D&D experience for the Neverwinter kids to graduate onto.
    This is my feeling. If you don't even bother to step on the big court to play, why should people bother with you nowadays? Especially with the increasing fragmentation in entertainment content and thousands of choices available, if you expect them to choose you with a flatlining marketing approach, that's a tall order.

It's sort of nonsensical, especially since WB and Hasbro do huge setups every year at SDCC.

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldRemembers View Post
    Hype up the "DDO is F2P done right," angle, and try to get an influx of new blood.
    Is it really true anymore? When F2P was initially announced I really loved their concept and the promises they made. Some of those promises are slowly being chipped away and some would argue a few of them no longer exist. I just don't have any faith in Turbine any longer and frankly would never recommend anyone to play this game. I'm trying to get my characters done with TRing and playable at end game because frankly I don't expect this game to last much longer. At least not in any form I wish to play.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Is it really true anymore? When F2P was initially announced I really loved their concept and the promises they made. Some of those promises are slowly being chipped away and some would argue a few of them no longer exist. I just don't have any faith in Turbine any longer and frankly would never recommend anyone to play this game. I'm trying to get my characters done with TRing and playable at end game because frankly I don't expect this game to last much longer. At least not in any form I wish to play.
    You would never recommend anyone to play this game.
    You don't expect it to last much longer.

Do you think it won't last much longer because of the lack of new players being recommended to the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Do you think it won't last much longer because of the lack of new players being recommended to the game?
    Most of the time when I mention an MMO to someone the first statement I hear in response is "What is the end game like?". My honest answer is "We have one raid that is somewhat ignored, one that is frequented, and the latest expansion isn't bringing any new ones". I just cannot bring myself to recommend an MMO that is in this state.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 07-23-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers